Text Size

No Holds Barred

Olbermann suspended for supporting Democrats...

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Olbermann suspended for supporting Democrats...

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:37 pm

I thought that was how he made his living.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... bc-policy/

Awesome. Other than this hilarity of this little bit it really is stupid to suspend him.

Olbermann, as well as MSNBC executives, was a vocal critic of the $1 million donation by Fox News' parent News Corp. to the Republican Governor's Association earlier this year, saying at the time, "We now have another million reasons Fox News is the Republican news channel."

1. MSNBC is not a news organization
2. His show is a 60 minute ad for Democrats every night
3. Who gives a shit if he gives money, it isn't as if he is an unbiased news anchor. Everyone knows where he stands.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Olbermann suspended for supporting Democrats...

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:58 pm

Yeah, this makes no sense. Sounds like it was just a pretext. Maybe they want to be a little less overtly liberal at MSNBC or maybe he just pissed in the wrong man's cheerios.
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:06 am

Isn't this legal now. All out in the open, right? Is it even a story?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:44 am

I quit fuckin wtaching him.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby idoctribefan » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:45 am

In a completely unrelated but strikingly similar story, Rich Swerbinsky suspended Brian McPeek from TheClevelandFan.com indefinitely without pay for his purchase of Cleveland Browns season tickets.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:13 am

Who gives a shit? Everybody knows MSNBC isn't impartial. Just like every other cable news network. I couldn't care less. I just hope who he supported lost because he's a condescending douche bag.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:28 am

skatingtripods wrote:Who gives a shit? Everybody knows MSNBC isn't impartial. Just like every other cable news network. I couldn't care less. I just hope who he supported lost because he's a condescending douche bag.

Exactly.

The Republican shills on Fox News donate to candidates all the time. Their network has no guidelines on it because it has abandoned all pretext of impartiality. It doesn't even try to pretend anymore. NBC does have guidelines and is using them to bring the hammer down on Keith, most likely for other things as stated earlier in the thread.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:02 am

Didn't Fox News try to get him at one point early on? Could you imagine if he was on that channel now? I think the tv screen would melt from the combined smugness, throw Anderson Cooper in there and it might bring about the Apocalypse..
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:13 am

It does seem like this is being used as a pretext to fire a guy they've been wanting to fire for a while...like NPR and Juan Williams. Here Bill Kristol defends K.O., and I thought he made a great point about GE execs and their hypocrisy in this matter:

MSNBC’s suspension of Keith Olbermann is ludicrous.

First, he donated money to candidates he liked. He didn’t take money, or favors, in a way that influenced his reporting.

Second, he’s not a reporter. It’s an opinion show. If Olbermann wants to put his money where his mouth is, more power to him.

Third, GE, the corporate parent of MSNBC, gives money to political organizations. GE executives and, I’m sure, NBC executives give money. Why can’t Olbermann?

There are a couple of examples of Fox guys donating similarly, and MSNBC is apparently trying to position themselves as a more serious news organization by punishing the next Edward R. Murrow for this affront to objectivity. Yeah, I know. Stop laughing.

One of the things these guys are criticizing Fox for is how they have permitted candidates to raise money on the air by citing their web sites in interviews. A little research by sites like Johnny Dollar shows that MSNBC has done the same thing repeatedly. Hot Air has lots of links to that, and other comment on the issue here:

http://bit.ly/dkqsA8

I'm not sure that kind of blatant appeal for campaign cash by candidates on TV during a campaign is a good idea, but the selective outrage kind of gives the game away.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:17 am

Kristol in one of those guys I don't really agree with much, but I enjoying reading alot of his stuff. And he's always been really good when he goes on The Daily Show.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:48 am

Considering Olberman a "journalist" is like considering Christy Canyon a thesbian, though she has ben filmed both ways.

NBC should be embarassed not by his donations, but by their own moronic act like he's impartial.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:52 am

skatingtripods wrote:Who gives a shit? Everybody knows MSNBC isn't impartial.

Not sure that is 100% fair.

Not sayin' MSNBC doesn't lean to the point of falling left with maddow, olberman and schulyz, and matthews is just about there as well. Flipping them on election night ws pretty funny. Larry and Rachel were damn near stomping their feet and turning blue (hard to tell) whenever a GOP guest came on.

But I'll maintain that Pat still rules the real conservative roost when it comes to takes far better than any of the brainless righties on Fox, and that Morining Joe is nothing short of the most balanced show of that type on the air. It's not juvinile and they really do chop it up right AFAIC.

Then again, reading my take, you're absolutely right. LOL. As a whole, the newtork is imbalanced as fuck.
jb

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:54 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Kristol in one of those guys I don't really agree with much, but I enjoying reading alot of his stuff. And he's always been really good when he goes on The Daily Show.

+ 1

I still dig the old conservative intelligencia types who leave the petulent act shit out of it. Kristol, Will, Buchanon, even PJ at times, although he looked drunk last time he was on Maher and couldn't make a decent point to save his life. Really unfunny for a funny cat.

Too bad they are starting to die off.
jb

Return to No Holds Barred