Text Size

No Holds Barred

"GI Pictures" scam by Nehst

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

"GI Pictures" scam by Nehst

Unread postby mdpeter » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:58 pm

G.I. Pictures http://gipictures.com/ is a side company that was started two years ago by Nehst http://www.nehst.com/ with the approval of current and former members of the U.S. military. It was pitched as a complete production operation and a way for creative members of the military to submit their film and television ideas in hopes of getting made.

Three individuals with ties to the military were involved at the outset: Richard H. Breen, Jr., APR, Retired U.S. Army Major Benjamin C. Frazier and Gary Bishop, in addition to retired marine Cary Abbott. Since service men and women are being CHARGED MONEY to submit projects to Larry Meistrich, Breen, Frazier and Bishop have disassociated themselves from G.I. Pictures. They are still featured prominently on Larry's website even though they no longer participate.

This is a method for Nehst to make some additional money from the unsuspecting public, similar to Screentest and Pitchnehst. G.I. Pictures is basically inactive, although it is still accepting money. There have been submissions in the past, and no refunds have been sent out. Nehst has kept this money, even though it had no film funding to actually produce these projects.

Meistrich keeps implying that he has a $250 million film fund which does not actually exist. G.I. Pictures is a way for Nehst to make a little extra money on the side. Jeff Silverstein is the President of Access & Development for Nehst who worked to get this project off the ground.

An article from Reuters first published on May 29, 2009:
GI Pictures isn't Meistrich's first effort to discover and groom talent. Nehst seems constantly to be seeking out amateurs through contests and such. GI Pictures, in fact, is modeled after Pitch Nehst, whereby budding filmmakers make pitches for $10 apiece (just enough to weed out the unserious). Meistrich said 40 projects have been acquired and are in various stages of development through Pitch Nehst. Two have been released already, and two documentary films are headed for theaters this summer: "Article 32" and "The Mayor of Strawberry Fields."

"The Mayor of Strawberry Fields," 38 minute short film documentary, and "Article 32," a 64 minute documentary, have never received a theatrical release by Nehst except for the ocassional screenings organized by Nehst.

http://clevelandfilm.blogspot.com/
mdpeter

Favorite Player: Andy Marte
Least Favorite Player: Brady Quinn

Re: "GI Pictures" scam by Nehst

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:04 pm

You're not bannished yet?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Return to No Holds Barred