Text Size

No Holds Barred

Mattresses'es

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Mattresses'es

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:54 am

How do you like my JB impersonation?

Anyway, I'm looking for some thoughts on mattresses. I've never owned anything other than the traditional coil spring design that you so often (and almost annoyingly) hear about from the Mattress factory ads.

However lately I've noticed some issues with slight back pain or neck discomfort and I can't help wonder if my mattress isn't part of the reason.

The talk in general is that sleep number beds and the memory foams are impressive but they also cost quite a bit.

Any experience with multiple types of mattresses or any testimonials to share?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Mattresses'es

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:20 pm

FUDU wrote:How do you like my JB impersonation?

Anyway, I'm looking for some thoughts on mattresses. I've never owned anything other than the traditional coil spring design that you so often (and almost annoyingly) hear about from the Mattress factory ads.

However lately I've noticed some issues with slight back pain or neck discomfort and I can't help wonder if my mattress isn't part of the reason.

The talk in general is that sleep number beds and the memory foams are impressive but they also cost quite a bit.

Any experience with multiple types of mattresses or any testimonials to share?

I don't think the brand is key, its just a matter of how solid and durable it is. We switched bed's months ago and my back feels noticeably better(I'm only 27 and years of a soft mattress + office job did its damage). I also use a lumbar roll on my office chair and its helped my posture.

If you have any back pain and haven't over-done something while doing physical work, its most likely related to sleep or posture depending on what you're doing most of the time. I will say this, getting rid of back/neck pain (if its not serious) is as simple as getting a hard/harder mattress and doing some exercises daily. It takes some time getting used to, but after a while it becomes second nature. Also, if your back pain is regular, you should try doing standing lumbar bends or modified pushups. The pushups are basically laying on your belly with your hands to your sides then bending your waste backwards and holding it for 5 seconds. I can find some examples and post later (I'm at the office). And my word is good - my GF is a certified personal trainer and physical therapist so give it a try.

FYI - the cause of the pain is usually a slipped disc or 2 in the lower back which can also cause a LOT of phantom/peripheral pain in the local extremities. It doesn't need surgery, but over long periods of time causes a ton of other problems if left uncorrected.

Sorry for the lengthy answer but I hope this helps.

:cheers:
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:45 pm

get that 'Tempurpedic' thing. I bought one 5 yrs ago and still love it bad back and all

Looking back, 2k was a pittance for the one piece of furniture in your house that shouldn't be compromised when you consider what its for and how often you use it
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:49 pm

^A third of you life is spent on that thing while it is in your house. I have a funky 3 part system that Stearns and Foster sold for awhile. It is a box spring, box spring/mattress hybrid, and an all foam top layer. FREAKING AWESOME. Although I worked at the furniture store during college and was able to try everything out.

I would take some time actually laying on the Tempur, as it is a totally different feel.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:30 pm

Orenthal wrote:^A third of you life is spent on that thing while it is in your house. I have a funky 3 part system that Stearns and Foster sold for awhile. It is a box spring, box spring/mattress hybrid, and an all foam top layer. FREAKING AWESOME. Although I worked at the furniture store during college and was able to try everything out.

I would take some time actually laying on the Tempur, as it is a totally different feel.

20 yr warranty to boot

It'll last me till I'm ready for the hospital bed
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:18 pm

I got a pretty firm mattress + a 4-inch memory foam mattress topper at Costco, it is awesome. I'd heard that memory foam retains heat, but this one doesn't at all, which is key given where I live.

Costco also sells the memory foam in a full mattress, for maybe $600. Don't know the brand but it's worth a look.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby waborat » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:36 pm

Get the Sleep #, everything else is 2nd+...

We've had ours for close to 10 years now and it's the best...

Change the # whenever you feel like it...When you get some babes over, they can pump there's as well...

Donny, seriously, I've already had back surgery and I currently have 3 slipped disks and nothing beats it...I wanna say we paid around 2K and that included the extra thick cushion on top...I'm pretty sure they are having some deals currently? This will be the last bed you ever buy (unless you date chicks who look like Rosie ;-) ;) :wink: )
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:12 pm

waborat wrote:Get the Sleep #, everything else is 2nd+...

We've had ours for close to 10 years now and it's the best...

Change the # whenever you feel like it...When you get some babes over, they can pump there's as well...

Donny, seriously, I've already had back surgery and I currently have 3 slipped disks and nothing beats it...I wanna say we paid around 2K and that included the extra thick cushion on top...I'm pretty sure they are having some deals currently? This will be the last bed you ever buy (unless you date chicks who look like Rosie ;-) ;) :wink: )
Is it truly a high quality mattress with great support, or is the catch the two sided adjustable nature of the bed?

I'm the kind of guy that would spend the cash on it b/c of superior quality and b/c of the inherent nature of a bed as pointed out before, the fact that we spend so much time in/on beds.

Plus I'm gonna need a good mattress to jump up and down on when the Browns win the Superbowl soon.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby waborat » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:19 am

FUDU wrote:Is it truly a high quality mattress with great support, or is the catch the two sided adjustable nature of the bed?

The mattress is actually air supported and is hooked to a compressor under the bed, which makes it either softer or more firm...

When I first bought it, I figured I'd pretty much leave it onthe same adjustment all the time, but the older you get and depending how your body feels, I end up changing it more and more each month...

Pretty sure they give you a 30 day trial?

A couple told us out in Vegas about 10 years ago how nice they were and we ran out and bought one immediately...Quite possibly the last bed you'll ever buy?
waborat

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:07 am

A few weeks ago I bought a 100% natural, latex foam mattress (it's actually a White Dove, Nature's Legacy mattress which is located in Cleveland). It's hypo-allergenic, anti-bacterial, and resistant to dust mites. Best money I ever spent. I used to toss and turn non-stop on my old hand-me-down mattress and that has stopped entirely. I also used to wake up during most nights and that has been cut down dramatically too, probably resulting more from the heat (no AC) than from the mattress.

A warning though: not all latex mattresses are the same. Lower quality ones (partly or fully synthetic latex) will degrade rather quickly and can give you a body impression "trench effect" after only a few months.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby General » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:04 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:get that 'Tempurpedic' thing. I bought one 5 yrs ago and still love it bad back and all

Looking back, 2k was a pittance for the one piece of furniture in your house that shouldn't be compromised when you consider what its for and how often you use it

I heard those things retain body heat. As I am usually slepping off a drunk and have a kiln like body temp that fact worries me. Any info to the contrary, Bill?
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:08 pm

General wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:get that 'Tempurpedic' thing. I bought one 5 yrs ago and still love it bad back and all

I heard those things retain body heat. As I am usually slepping off a drunk and have a kiln like body temp that fact worries me. Any info to the contrary, Bill?

I'd bet its not the mattress but the sheets

Micro fibers suck. They're too soft and don't 'feel cool'

Get cotton
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby waborat » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:07 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:
General wrote:

Get cotton

500ct or better...

Why I know this, I do not know..

Time to change my plug
waborat

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:22 pm

waborat wrote:
General wrote:

Get cotton

500ct or better...

Time to change my plug

My sister used to work at a high-end bedding store. She said it isnt so much the thread count but that it is egyptian cotton.

I think I need to go change my oil, while drinking a beer with big lipper in to get my man card back from that statement, if it is even possible at this point.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby jb » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:54 pm

https://www.buythepillow.com/

Just get this and sleep on the floor
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:49 pm

Tempurpedic (or however it is spelled) and/or Sleep #

I opted for the Tempurpedic, and value for money, it's the best purchase I have made lately. Amazing.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:51 am

Ziner wrote:
waborat wrote:
General wrote:

Get cotton

500ct or better...

Time to change my plug

My sister used to work at a high-end bedding store. She said it isnt so much the thread count but that it is egyptian cotton.

I think I need to go change my oil, while drinking a beer with big lipper in to get my man card back from that statement, if it is even possible at this point.

It'll take time but your beer & boobs post to God helps
Fire Marshall Bill

Return to No Holds Barred