Text Size

No Holds Barred

Cleveland getting it wrong yet again

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Cleveland getting it wrong yet again

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:53 am

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/08/city_of_cleveland_to_use_high-.html

I can only laugh at this crap anymore. Hey I'm ll for looking into ways to get green and improve the world around us (and IMO recycling is still one of the best ways anyone can make an impact), but why do we always have to go about these things in fucked up ways that arguably make zero sense.

How about a rewards style approach. give people an incentive to jump on board a plan like this, no instead we do it backwards. Like I said before....(see wabs sigline).

Curious to everyone's thoughts on this new idea?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Cleveland getting it wrong yet again

Unread postby jack_tors » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:52 am

I think its pretty fucked up they have a goal of how many citations to offer. I am one of the biggest proponents of recycling as you will find and go out of my way to make sure I dont toss out anything that should be recycled but even I find this absurd. This city will never, ever learn how to roll out a program that works. Instead of a carrot-stick approach lets keep the carrot and beat em over the head with the stick.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:09 pm

The government looking through your trash, automated traffic cameras, nothing gets done without a bribe... the City of Cleveland is becoming everything East Germany ever wanted to be.
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby jb » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:39 pm

Yeah, this is aweful. Pure revenue generation.

Hopefuly it loses in court.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:52 pm

IIRC this is already in motion since 2007? They just haven't finalized the money angle on things, so not sure about this going to court or what not.

All I know is it is not only controversial but stupid, and I'll be damned if I am accepting this high tech garbage can on my property if this all works out like the city wants it to. That can can and will sit on the tree lawn everyday of the year, when they try to tell me it doesn't move and I'm violating some bullshit they come up with I'll say it's your can on your property why you bugging me about it.

Some of the reader comments in the paper about this are actually pretty good, like instead of hiring chips for this task how about hiring some actual people to do this, lord knows Cleveland has plenty of people that could use work.

FUDU

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:53 pm

That just sounds ridiculous. How hard is it just to incentivize recycling? Instead they are going to try to fine people?

I live in Avon and we have a recycling program. As far as I understand it, we have a sensor in the recycling can. The truck has a mechanical arm that dumps the cans into the truck and weighs each can while doing it. The more your recycling can weighs, the more money you get back, or something to that effect.

There are no threats. No punishments. No fines. And every damn house in the neighborhood has that recycling can wheeled out to the street every garbage pick up day.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:38 pm

So they begin charging for trash pickup. Then want to force people to recycle to mitigate the cost of dumping trash in landfills, at the same time collecting for violations.

Like said above, all about revenue generation.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:30 pm

Another possible kicker to this whole mess is does Cleveland even separate and recycle all the trash they get from the city pick up? I heard they don't and heard they kind of do. Once I hear the city doesn't is when I stop separating stuff on my own for them.

My thought is this, they want to track this project with these waste of money $100 cans fine (why they start by giving these cans out to people living in shit hoods with no jobs with no money to buy stuff that can be recycled is beyond me), then track it, but set up a tier system for the tax payers to strive for. Say 26 pick ups a year with your special recyclable only can equals 2% tax break, 52 uses is 4$ or something along those lines.

All I know is that 6 of us getting together to get drunk while watching a preseason game could come up with a better more sensible solution.

FUDU

Return to No Holds Barred