Text Size

No Holds Barred

5 Question Friday - The Tribe Edition - 6/18/10

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

5 Question Friday - The Tribe Edition - 6/18/10

Unread postby waborat » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:57 am

1. What was the first Indian's game you remember attending?

2. What was your most memorable game?

3. Where do you like to sit and what do you always eat and/or drink when you go?

4. Who's your favorite all-time Tribe player?

5. Where were you during "The Mesa"?
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: 5 Question Friday - The Tribe Edition - 6/18/10

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:15 am

Not certain which game, but it was at Municipal Stadium. I remember really green grass.
Few years ago, Tribe vs. Atlanta. A friends bachelor party. We had a suite, got our name on the score board, and hung around after the game to heckle Paul Byrd as he walked to his car (he took the L). Debauchery ensued.
3. Where do you like to sit and what do you always eat and/or drink when you go?
Cheapest seats in the house, usually get them on the street
Grady
At home, crying in my room
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:39 am

Tribe v. Tigers, old stadium, pouring down rain. Wasnt more than 200 people left by the end.

How about the one I never attended. When I jinxed us in '07 when I bought game 1 World Series tickets since we were up 3-1. As if I shouldnt have learned my lesson when I bought game 1 & 2 tickets for the ALDS in 2005... I suck

Right-center field, lower deck, close as possible. Not sure why, but I just love that angle to watch the game. Also has a nice view of the city. I like the opportunity to catch a HR, I need to do it before I die so I cant waste opportunities, have been close a few times.

I ALWAYS have to have a jumbo dog with sauteed onions and some ballpark mustard. Wash it down with an ice cold brew.

Omar

At home watching with my dad.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:02 am

1)Friend's birthday party when I was 9 or 10. I am only 27 but cant remember all the other games I went to before that. I remember it well because it was against Seattle when Griffey was a stud and it was Randy Johnson's first or second season. Indians lost but a kid I know caught a foul ball.

2)The Comeback or Paul Byrd's "almost perfect" game in the snow. Had home plate seats for that blizzard and damn it was fun.

3)There isn't a bad seat in the Jake, but I have to say my favorites are the bleachers. Sitting back with a big brew and 3-4 jumbo dogs with ketchup, mustard, onion and anything else I can get on it.

4)Omar

5)Sitting in the living room in shock, just like the rest of my family.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:23 am

waborat wrote:1. What was the first Indian's game you remember attending?
Aug 2, 1996 (vs Balt) at the Jake. Dad was in Cleveland for a meeting on Friday, brought me with him so we could catch the night game and the Saturday afternoon game. First pro game I ever attended, got to see former LSU tiger Albert Belle hit a bomb. I was hooked.

The first one was great, but also being in attendance for Lofton's return to Cleveland in July of 07 was cool. He was staying at the same hotel we were and we met him the lobby that night when we were coming in from the bar. He was first class all the way.

Any pro game I attend, I like to try to get on the first or third base line as close to the bag as possible.

Kenny Lofton, followed by Albert Belle

Watching at home with my dad and brother. Really excited to see Chad Ogea have a great series, and then the bottom dropped out. That was my first glimpse into "the Cleveland pro sports experience".
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:30 am

Don't remember the date, but it was early to mid 80s and it was Family Day, the players brought their kids on the field before the game and stuff. Memorable because later that game Andy Allanson beat the shit out of the opposing pitcher.

Game 4, 1997 ALDS. Sandy hit the tying homer off of Rivera, and I thought the Jake was going to crumble. That place was awesomely insane.

Best seats I can get. I might make it to one game a year if I'm lucky, so I'll pay for the good seats. Don't like sitting behind the net, though.

Sandy Alomar, Jr.

Parents' living room, stunned silence.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:55 am

Sometime in the 1982 season against Boston. I can just remember snippets; the Indians winning, Yaz hitting a home run for the Red Sox, the crowd booing Rick Manning when he came to the plate (which was a shock to me; Manning was my mom's favorite player so I assumed, believing my mom to be infallible, that he was everyone else's as well.)

2004 season. I went up there with my brother. We ran into a yuppie couple outside the ballpark who had four field boxes and were selling two of them. $30 seats but my brother talked them down to two for the price of one, claiming we were short on money. So we sat next to this couple and proceeded to spend about $70 on beer. Casey Blake beat the Tigers with a two-run shot in the seventh. Then we drove back to Kent, hit the bars and drank some more at Rays. We were toasting Casey Blake till like two in the morning. Good times.

Field boxes right behind the dugout; beer and peanuts. I kick it old school.

This is a tough one. While writing the piece on the '95 team I was thinking about Dennis Martinez. What a tough-minded, gutsy pitcher he was. He pitched Game 6 of the '95 World Series and had nothing, but he kept his club in the game against an almost-unhittable Tom Glavine. El Presidente had miles of heart.

With friends at a house in Kent. I knew as soon as we didn't get that insurance run home in the top of the ninth that we were in trouble.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:21 am

My dad's never been big on going to sporting events except the minor league hockey games around here. So the first one I remember is probably around the 1997 Home Run Derby with his brother's season tickets. I remember seeing McGwire twice during the HR chase.

2007 ALDS Game 2. Fausto Carmona was straight dealing and the place went ballistic on Hafner's walk-off hit. Calling Jeter a pussy from the Porch was fun too. Also the May 25, 2009 comeback against TB. The Yankee one meant just a little more...

Stand on the Porch on the rail, right next to the gate that divides the bleachers from the Porch. I hate sitting down. Too many stupid conversations with people who have no fucking idea what they're talking about and I hate when assholes come back to their seats during the inning. Wait until the end of the fucking inning please. Or at least be smart enough to start walking down while a pop up is in the air. I drink the free designated driver soda because I can drink a 12 pack when I get home for almost what one beer costs.

Victor Martinez.

Honestly, I can't even really remember it. I was 11, so I was probably sitting in my basement watching it.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:01 pm

The comeback from down 14-2 vs Seattle. The only reason we stayed is cuz we had first bought fake tickets, got turned away at the gate, had to buy tickets again, and were just way too pissed at that point to not get our full money's worth.
Home Run Porch / picnic plaza
Kenny
Parents' bedroom
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:46 pm

1) 1995 with my dad and brother Indians vs Shite Sox. Frank Thomas hit a bomb that still hasn't landed. Indians won 10-6 I believe.

2) The Bug Game. Jabba's sweaty neck fat.

3) 3rd base side about 15 rows up. Beer and Brats.

4) Don't tell Bob Feller this, but Omar.

5) At home with my family. I remember the utter deafening silence afterwards.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jb » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:47 pm

About 74 0r 75 vs the Texas Rangers.

In person?

Three come to mind. In the late 80s or early 90's I was at a game when it seemed like the old roided up A's hit 14 dongs in a twinight double header.

I was also at a 19 inning game vs the Twinkees at the Jake.

But the BEST was opening day with Super Joe. Epic.

I also know one that I don't remember. Triple play or something routine happened someone told me.

On tv?

Every last game in every 97 series. Etched in my head.

After you go field bix next to the dugout, how do you go back ?

Gotta go with the grilled dog. Never, ever steamed or boiled, swimming in ballpark mustard. beer with adults, pepsi with my kids.

Wow...... Have to admit in hindsight is was Albert. I never missed an AB. And after being kicked around so long as a Ctown fan, I loved bullying the AL in 95.

At home, holding my < 1 year old son so he could see a C-town championship with his Dad. That also kept me from jumping out the window.
Last edited by jb on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:51 pm

That also kept me from jumping out the window.

I've been laughing at this for the last couple minutes. What an awful night.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:58 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Naw I'm serious. And it was a picture window on a raised ranch at the time.

I'd have jumped.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:59 pm

1. Early 70's. Twi-night doubleheader against the Brewers
2. Dave Steib no-hitter or the Alomar HR off Rivera playoff game.
3. Anywhere other than upper-reserve.
4. Buddy Bell early on, Omar through the Glory Years. Baerga played with a joy I'll always respect too. At least early on.
5. Basement of my bi-level house in LeRoy. Alone. Standing. Then stunned. Then sick and unable to sleep.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:11 pm

jb wrote:Wow...... Have to admit in hindsight is was Albert.

That's what I'm talking bout. First Indian's souvenir I ever bought was a #8 t-shirt. Still holding on to it so my son can channel that spirit when he gets to little league.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby diminishingskills » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:30 pm

An early-May game (maybe Mother's Day?) when I was seven or eight. I remember wearing shorts and nearly freezing my ass off. I also remember the Tribe lost (no surprise there).

Game 2 of the Division Series against the Yankees, Oct. 2007 (the "bug game").

I tend to be a bleacher guy (buddy of mine has season tickets there), and always have to get a dog or two.

Probably Jim Thome. Say what you will about him leaving, but he gave us a lot of good memories while he was here.

At home. I remember getting sucked into the movie "A Time to Kill" on one of the cable channels, and trying to catch as much of it as I could during commercials.

If it flies, floats, or fornicates, always rent it -- it's cheaper in the long run.
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Favorite Player: Those who try
Least Favorite Player: Those who don't

Unread postby Shadow Scars » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:48 pm

I don't remember specifics but it was probably in '89 or '90 when I was 5 or 6. I remember we left early because the food gave me diarrhea, the drunks were getting rowdy, and our seats were behind a pillar.

That I saw live? Probably in '04 at the 10 year anniversary game. It was cool to see Grover and company come back on the field and talking shop. I don't remember if it was Plunk or who it was crying his eyes out and sounded wasted as hell lol. Sizemore got a walk off hit that I believe was his first hit? Nice ceremony after the game.

I like to sit in the FanCave but unfortunately, I probably will never have that oppertunity again lol. I like to eat everything because I'm fat and ballpark food is epic.

CARLOS BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAERGA!!!!

Sitting in my living room, beating an upside down garbage can like a drum until the ball went up the middle at the end. Then, I was crying like a girl.
Shadow Scars

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:54 pm

jb wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Naw I'm serious. And it was a picture window on a raised ranch at the time.

I'd have jumped.

Dude.... You might have got a bruise. Or a strain.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:23 pm

Tribe vs KC in '77. Game after Ech threw his no no

1)'97 ALDS Game 5. Had seats right behind home plate.
1a) Forth of July weekend in '96 vs CWS. Got to sit in the dugout lodge behind home plate (it's now mostly the green screen for ads) Closer to home than the pitcher is but you could hear every moan from Nagy when he missed on a pitch. Tribe won, CWS flew the white flag that weekend
Behind the Tribe dugout about 23 rows bck

Umm, Larvell Blanks
seriously Blanks and Andre Thornton are my 2 all time favorits as I knew them and their families teir first seasons w/ the club. 2 of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.
Players I don't know, it's Albert Belle. Never missed an AB and as JB said, loved the bullying. Plus he backedit up

At a friends house making plans to go burn down the Flats. Ended up driving home looking like Gary in the last scene of "The Last American Virgin"
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby jack_tors » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:58 pm

-I remember my first game. May, 1985 vs Kansas City. Box seats, front row, right near first base. I remember the umpire coming over between innings talking to my dad. Later on he asked for the batting helmet I was wearing and I was afraid he was going to steal it (hey, I was almost 5 yrs old, what did I know). I gave it to him and he handed it back with a baseball in it. I'll never forget it. My dad always remembers the umpire, Jerry Neudecker, and from that I was able to use retrosheet to find the game. 5/15/85, Indians lost, 5-1
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1985/B05150CLE1985.htm

-1995 AL Division Series Game 5. I was there and watched Hershisher beat Seattle. There was an electricity there that night I havent felt since.

-Weekend games or Opening Day, I go to Sokolowski's University Inn. Stuffed cabbage or salisbury steak. I prefer to sit somewhere behind home plate but not too far up in the upper deck.

- Cant choose just one.. Brandon Phillips, Ryan Church, and Franklin Gutierrez. :hide:

-Living room, senior year of high school. I remember sitting there just destroyed they lost. Was in a funk for quite some time. Still remember my old man sitting there just shaking his head with a disgusted look on his face.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:13 pm

[quote="waborat"]1. What was the first Indian's game you remember attending?Am I allowed to say the 1981 All Star game?

2. What was your most memorable game? Honestly too tough to single out one game.

3. Where do you like to sit and what do you always eat and/or drink when you go? I love sitting in those left field seats that angle toward home plate, a very small section IIRC. Good view for the game and great for people watching.

4. Who's your favorite all-time Tribe player? A three way tie between Joe Carter, Kenny Lofton and Albert.

5. Where were you during "The Mesa"? A friend's house watching him throw a Bud Light bottle at his brick fireplace. The fireplace won.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:27 pm

Wow...... Have to admit in hindsight is was Albert. I never missed an AB. And after being kicked around so long as a Ctown fan, I loved bullying the AL in 95
This nails it as far as Belle is concerned. Aside from his gaudy numbers the confidence he gave you as a fan was unmatched. When he was coming up you felt like "no you guys are fucked" and not only did you want to see something special most times when it mattered most you did. Tough to recall a more focused hitter in a Tribe uni. IMO that 95 season is tied with the 87 Browns season as our best chance at a winner in this town.

FUDU

Unread postby General » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:22 pm

September 5, 1969. Twi-niter vs Yanks. My Aunt got us the seats right next to the Tribe Dugout. It was amazing to see The Hawk, Duke Sims, Tony Horton all up close. Larry Brown tossed me a ball, I dropped it for the first unofficial E-3, then I cried (pussy).

That one and the first home WS against the Braves in '95

I like to try different areas of the park for the angles. Beer , by the gallon.

Craig Nettles, I was inconsolate when they dealt him.

We gathered in a guys garage on Summit Avenue in Mayfield Heights. Thegarage had an "NBA" rule (no broads allowed). A buddy's wife brought some food and actually stepped in the garage, it was like that scene in Field of Dreams when Moonlight Graham steps over to save the girl, thre was no turning back, things went south after that.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:32 pm

Albert vs Roadkill Vina...

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:14 pm

Tell me again why he didn't want to talk to this....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHgeK-KOXP8&feature=related[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHgeK-KOXP8&feature=related

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:28 pm

If you delete the &feature=related from the link it will show up.

Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:58 pm

1995 against the Royals, sat where they have the picnic tables now I believe.

the comeback against the Mariners

in the club seats, because of all the free food you can have, only sat there once though, and a hot dog with bertmans on it.

back in the day it was Jim Thome, but following the whole "my wife is my rock" deal, it switched over to Kenny Lofton.

I have very little recollection of it oddly enough. I recall the ALCS against the Orioles in further detail, and I remember my dad commenting about how crappy Joe Robbie or whatever the hell it's called today was for a baseball stadium, and when we did finally lose, I decided to hold a grudge against the Marlins, one I still hold onto today.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby waborat » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:09 pm

'75 opener where Frank Robinson cranked the pinch hit homer as player/manager...I was hooked ever since

For whatever reason, I keep going back to the '97 All-Star game...Watching Alomar come to the plate and rip that go-ahead home run was pretty awesome...That park was as loud then as I've ever heard it

Gotta agree with the field boxes behind the dugouts...Hot Dogs, Bertman's & Suds

Duane Kuiper...Guy was Joe Cool

At the Tap House in Euclid during a private party...Probably THE most vulgarity I've ever heard at one time after an event
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Loo » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:43 pm

1. I was 3 or 4--Dad took me to see Cal Ripken Jr.

2. Indians-Tigers 2007. Casey Blake hits a walk-off homer.

3. Upper deck, close to the railing, first base side. ALWAYS get at least a dog and a pop, with either nachos or peanuts. Just isn't a ballgame without it.

4. Omar, then David Justice

5. At home, in my jammies (age 7).
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:46 pm

Tribe v D'Backs 2002

Tribe vs Yankees, Selby's walk off slam off Mo

along the first base line. Hot dog

Kenny Lofton/Ellis Burks

in bed as I was 11 and did not yet love baseball
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:57 pm

Man ... that's tough. Blurry memories of games as a young kid at Muni. Early 80's, empty stadium, Andre Thornton ...

Greg Swindell's debut against the Red Sox. He was heavily hyped. Indians lost like 20-2 to Boston. Only game I ever attended with my real dad. Was also there with my best bud (kindtim) and his dad, who passed away a few years later.

My season tix are 1b side, like 12th row, in between the 1b and RF. Those seats and STO seats behind the dish. Hot dogs lathered in Bertmans. Couple Great Lakes beers to start the game, followed up with a couple Bud Lights to sober up. :cheers:

Brook Jacoby & Charlie Nagy.

Scalpers Bar & Grill on Mayfield Rd. Remember it like it was yesterday.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to No Holds Barred