Text Size

No Holds Barred

Spill, baby, spill

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Spill, baby, spill

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:31 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100429/ap_ ... l_response

OK, so i don't consider myself an environmentalist. One ofthe dumbest expendatures in Ohio, and maybe you don't even know this, is the pork barrell state program that pays farmers to buy their land so as to not have it turn into suburban sprawl. I know of some farmer in BF Portage County that made a cool mil plus just due to this idiocy.

And I never did get the spotted owl thing.

But this? This?

I've been to So Cal a few times. The spactacular beauty is nothing short of breathtaking on the coast. The animals you see there in the wild are amazing. It is one thing to spill on the gulf coast, but I gotta say, I get why the SoCal folks that live near the coast call bullshit on off shore drilling. I would, too.

In evitably, man's inherently imperfect technology always results in a certain amount of these cluster fucks.

Personally, I hope Gov Barbor has coastal land an dthe sludge all hits his crib, but that is my only blatantly partisan crack. ;-)

Edit PS - BP sure as hell better get billed for this
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Spill, baby, spill

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:37 pm

And thanks to the new VA governor and Obama, they've opened up the East coast for drilling as well. And for not much oil, around a week's worth.

Short term solution to long term problem. I can't wait until I find tarballs on the beach.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:54 pm

In the past month we've had 29 coal miners and 11 oil rig workers blown up. And nuclear energy is too dangerous?
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:59 pm

Close yir eyes and you can easily envision auto and oil execs in a large scale orgy

It has nothing to do with safety
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:00 pm

I really hate the anti nuclear energy argument. It's cheap and safe. Build more now.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:03 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I really hate the anti nuclear energy argument. It's cheap and safe. Build more now.

Underway now.

Shit tkaes time tho.

BTW - It's nucular
jb

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:06 pm

jb wrote:BTW - It's nucular

::doh::

R Ewe schir it's knot knuckyooler
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:22 pm

I can't wait till the accident report goes public on the Horizon debacle, going to be some interesting shit. Fairly new rig (2001), all the latest technology, clean safety and performance record, and then this. Being it was a floating rig, all of the blowout detectors/protectors are down on the seabed which is the highest stablized reading point of the wellbore. The wellbore is monitored up on deck, with multiple panic buttons and even a dead man's switch. The leak either rose up the wellbore faster than reaction time will allow, or some of these guys didn't quite live up to their training.

I've got some pics passed along from customers (from the perspective of a neighboring rig) that are pretty incredible. If I have time I'll try to host and post later.

ETA -- Coast Guard ran some isolated test burns last night, looked promising. Supposed to continue on tonight isolating pockets of surface oil and burning them out. Should be interesting to see how this continues.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby JoJo White » Sun May 02, 2010 8:53 pm

Offered without any necessary commentary.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/gulf-oil-spil ... 22459.html

Limbaugh suggests oil rig explosion an inside job; says cleanup unnecessary
"I want to get back to the timing of the blowing up, the explosion out there in the Gulf of Mexico of this oil rig. Since they're sending SWAT teams down there now this changes the whole perspective of this. Now, lest we forget, ladies and gentlemen, the carbon tax bill, cap and trade that was scheduled to be announced on Earth Day. I remember that. And then it was postponed for a couple of days later after Earth Day, and then of course immigration has now moved in front of it.

But this bill, the cap-and-trade bill, was strongly criticized by hardcore environmentalist wackos because it supposedly allowed more offshore drilling and nuclear plants, nuclear plant investment. So, since they're sending SWAT teams down there, folks, since they're sending SWAT teams to inspect the other rigs, what better way to head off more oil drilling, nuclear plants, than by blowing up a rig? I'm just noting the timing here."

Later on in the broadcast, Limbaugh said while he doesn't advocate not caring about the oil hitting the shore or the coast, he thinks it's "natural" for the oil to be in the water.
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon May 03, 2010 8:06 am

JoJo White wrote: Limbaugh suggests oil rig explosion an inside job; says cleanup unnecessary

Fat, stoned and stupid is no way to go through life.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon May 03, 2010 12:28 pm

I bet if it was leaking Oxycontin he would be down there "helping" in person.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon May 03, 2010 1:24 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I bet if it was leaking Oxycontin he would be down there "helping" in person.

Well yeah...but so would I.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon May 03, 2010 1:37 pm

Hillbilly Heroin.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon May 03, 2010 1:53 pm

Looks like they are going to try to sink a containment dome and channel the leak back up to tankers in the Gulf. BP is absolutely funneling money with this leak, some reports say up to $6 mill or more per day.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Mon May 03, 2010 4:54 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:It's cheap and safe. Build more now.

And cleaner
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon May 03, 2010 6:57 pm

JMHO but, every talking head/mouth on TV/radio should be locked in a windowless room together with no toilet till they all die....every.....fucking......one

But that's just me...

The problem, as I see it, is that our destiny is in the hands of lame brained fucking morons

So there ya go
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon May 03, 2010 10:10 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:JMHO but, every talking head/mouth on TV/radio should be locked in a windowless room together with no toilet till they all die....every.....fucking......one

But that's just me...

The problem, as I see it, is that our destiny is in the hands of lame brained fucking morons

So there ya go

So you're sayin we're fucked?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon May 03, 2010 10:45 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:JMHO but, every talking head/mouth on TV/radio should be locked in a windowless room together with no toilet till they all die....every.....fucking......one

But that's just me...

So there ya go

So you're sayin we're fucked?

I like the way the Irish guy in Braveheart said it to Wallace while under the arrow attack..."We're fohked"

...but yeah, doomed. By politicians and corporate interests and the only hopes for finding intelligent life in the heavens to save us from ourselves have been recently squashed by Little Stevie Wonder Hawkings suggesting we're doomed if we do....

Not to mention Al Whore and his Nobel winning tale of doom....hell, we died decades ago according to some,eh?....[insert politically correct peace and lovey emoticon here]

According to all those MMMMM- Ma-Ma-MaxMax MMMM Max Max Headrooms its Situation Hopeless. They offer absolutely nothing and deserve nothing less than contempt

.....but I'm just ranting...Environmentaly-wise I'm on the verge of nailing a construction project that qualifies for LEED funding by the owner...... Permeable paver parking lot...a whole new market for my biz with a positive return on our standard of living re: less asphalt, less oil. {note to jb....is this sucking at the gubmint welfare tit or good biz?}

I'm all for all sorts of energy, new and old. Nuclar included. Clean coal too if there really is such a thing. I do have a serious problem with ethanol tho.

Its just that this shit is in the hands of politicians with their hands full of money from the corporations. They piss away more than they need to solve the freaking problems...
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby jb » Wed May 05, 2010 7:52 am

Not sayin what energy sources I would or woruln't support becasue of that whole intellectually honest thing. IOW, I'm not riding no bicycle in January in Ohio if Perry be bumping out muh juice.

Butt the point is being missed. To expect perfection from humans is folly. Titantic, Challenger, etc, that shit happens and everyone freaks out like as if this some shock. Bullshit. The only surprise is it doesn't happen more.

I'm sure fail safe on top of fail safe went south on this spill as the best laid plans gang aft aglay. As bad as it is, and it might keep spewing for several months now, possibly fucking up beaches now in the Atlantic as the currents take the hydrocarons around the horn, that is nothing, nothing, compared to a nucular ooopsie-daisey.

Again, not saying I don't support nukuler, but can we at least put the plants in places where no one lives so all that is destroyed is chromozones resulting in a half a generation across the nation that is like "Wrong Turn" rather than incinerating life? Maybe like in Detroit?

"Socrates was a man. Men die therefore, Socrates died."
Last edited by jb on Wed May 05, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed May 05, 2010 1:19 pm

Man....... We really need subtitles.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed May 05, 2010 1:23 pm

I can't believe this North Korean torpedo attack hasn't gotten more coverage. (cache)

Barack and BP sitting in the tree...
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/36783.html
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed May 05, 2010 1:47 pm

fundamentals wrote:I can't believe this North Korean torpedo attack hasn't gotten more coverage. (cache)

So you're saying the President is getting big money from a corporation? INCONCEIVABLE!
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed May 05, 2010 1:49 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
fundamentals wrote:I can't believe this North Korean torpedo attack hasn't gotten more coverage. (cache)

So you're saying the President is getting big money from a corporation? INCONCEIVABLE!

:lmfao:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby jb » Wed May 05, 2010 11:43 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Man....... We really need subtitles.

OK, I edited.
jb

Unread postby JoJo White » Tue May 25, 2010 11:10 pm

Hopefully, this top-kill thing will work tomorrow, but I'm not optimistic.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm just sick whenever I see clips of the oil-covered animals and wetlands. In fact, I rarely watch the news anymore because it makes me want to rail like Souldawg does against whoever he hates this week as the Browns QB.
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby Ziner » Tue May 25, 2010 11:16 pm

I was watching Hardball today and Matthews brought up a good point that they should be getting all oil companies with any sort of knowledge that might be useful working all together. This is BP mistake, but it isnt just BP's problem. This is an everyone problem. I kinda feel that there hasnt been much urgency with this.

Anyone know why they werent attempting to burn it off from the beginning? Sure seems like that would have been than what they are doing now. Cleaning up the shores are going to take forever, destroy a lot of animals and the shoreline, and cost a ton of jobs. BP better get their checkbook out, that 75 million dollar cap is stupid, not sure why they have it but I fully support them getting rid of it.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby TBigz » Wed May 26, 2010 12:23 am

Ziner wrote:I was watching Hardball today and Matthews brought up a good point that they should be getting all oil companies with any sort of knowledge that might be useful working all together. This is BP mistake, but it isnt just BP's problem. This is an everyone problem. I kinda feel that there hasnt been much urgency with this.

Anyone know why they werent attempting to burn it off from the beginning? Sure seems like that would have been than what they are doing now. Cleaning up the shores are going to take forever, destroy a lot of animals and the shoreline, and cost a ton of jobs. BP better get their checkbook out, that 75 million dollar cap is stupid, not sure why they have it but I fully support them getting rid of it.

Chris Matthews is a pinhead.
TBigz

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: Ben Rothlisberger

Unread postby TBigz » Wed May 26, 2010 12:25 am

Erie Warrior wrote:
JoJo White wrote: Limbaugh suggests oil rig explosion an inside job; says cleanup unnecessary

Fat, stoned and stupid is no way to go through life.

Hush Bimbaugh is a radical right winger.
TBigz

Unread postby Ziner » Wed May 26, 2010 12:26 am

TBigz wrote:Chris Matthews is a pinhead.

By far the best on that network IMO

If anyone cares here is the live link to the spill. I have been fascinated for the last 30 minutes watching it. Consider yourself warned.

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_interne ... tream.html
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed May 26, 2010 8:21 am

Ziner wrote:
Anyone know why they werent attempting to burn it off from the beginning?

Weather. Same reason the booms hardly worked. It's surprising difficult to burn oil floating on water, especially if the wind and waves are rolling.

It's too late now. The damage is done. The wetlands will be wrecked for years. You'll see drops in population numbers of every species in the Gulf. There will be dead animals washing up for months.

Shrimp, crab and fish prices will rise steadily. The entire Gulf coast seafood industry will bust for a few years. There are still fisherman in Alaska that haven't recovered from the Exxon Valdez, and I think there has been more oil dumped during this spill. A large majority of the oil is still under the surface.

This isn't going away any time soon.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby TBigz » Wed May 26, 2010 8:43 am

Ziner wrote:
TBigz wrote:Chris Matthews is a pinhead.

By far the best on that network IMO

If anyone cares here is the live link to the spill. I have been fascinated for the last 30 minutes watching it. Consider yourself warned.

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_interne ... tream.html

Sorry, but mainstream media sucks right or left wing there essentially the same thing. Both bought out by corporate interests who don't put American first essentially. Thats why I support Ron Paul and Rand Paul in there endeavorers.
TBigz

Unread postby TBigz » Wed May 26, 2010 8:46 am

Erie Warrior wrote:
Ziner wrote:
Anyone know why they werent attempting to burn it off from the beginning?

Weather. Same reason the booms hardly worked. It's surprising difficult to burn oil floating on water, especially if the wind and waves are rolling.

It's too late now. The damage is done. The wetlands will be wrecked for years. You'll see drops in population numbers of every species in the Gulf. There will be dead animals washing up for months.

Shrimp, crab and fish prices will rise steadily. The entire Gulf coast seafood industry will bust for a few years. There are still fisherman in Alaska that haven't recovered from the Exxon Valdez, and I think there has been more oil dumped during this spill. A large majority of the oil is still under the surface.

This isn't going away any time soon.

Imagine how much blame a Libertarian or a Republican would be getting if they were in office. This is example of media bias. If Bush was in office he would be getting an almost infinite amount of bad press for this incident. FYI I dislike Bush I think he is a corporate neocon, but I had to point out the obvious.
TBigz

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed May 26, 2010 10:51 am

More info coming out about BP cutting corners, and warning signs before the well blew. Fuckers.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100526/ap_ ... _oil_spill
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed May 26, 2010 6:05 pm

TBigz wrote:
Ziner wrote:I was watching Hardball today and Matthews brought up a good point that they should be getting all oil companies with any sort of knowledge that might be useful working all together. This is BP mistake, but it isnt just BP's problem. This is an everyone problem. I kinda feel that there hasnt been much urgency with this.

Chris Matthews is a pinhead.

I didn't realize Bill O'Reiley had joined us. Welcome Billbo, just don't try to luffa anyone.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby TBigz » Wed May 26, 2010 6:57 pm

I don't like Bill O'Reilly I just use that term a lot. FYI I am part of Savage Nation.
TBigz

Unread postby Ziner » Wed May 26, 2010 8:03 pm

TBigz wrote:I don't like Bill O'Reilly I just use that term a lot. FYI I am part of Savage Nation and a Division II State Champ in football.

Had to fix that for you, wouldnt want you to sell yourself short.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:04 pm

Ziner wrote:
TBigz wrote:I don't like Bill O'Reilly I just use that term a lot. FYI I am part of Savage Nation and a Division II State Champ in football.

Yeah, but did he have sex in the past year?
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby jack_tors » Wed May 26, 2010 8:06 pm

aoxo1 wrote:
Ziner wrote:

Yeah, but did he have sex in the past year?

He was a state football champ! Had to beat the bitches off with the stick. Even though I am well past the high school days, I usually put my letterman's jacket on and go to the bar just for kicks.

“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Wed May 26, 2010 9:19 pm

He was a state football champ!

He's Al Bundy?
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed May 26, 2010 11:53 pm

I love these boards. There is no mercy.

TCF "Where bragging about high school accomplishments will get you kicked in the face."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu May 27, 2010 12:35 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I love these boards. There is no mercy.

TCF "Where bragging about high school accomplishments will get you kicked in the face."

When I was in high school I once ate an entire box of Nerds...one at a time.

Not that little pussy Halloween box either. The big one. Grape.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu May 27, 2010 2:44 pm

Not completely out of the woods, but it looks like there are some promising results out of topkill right now. Well is pushing mud (no homo) rather than oil for the moment, they just have to hope it holds off long enought to pump concrete down and try to cap this bad boy.

Also, I don't get into the political debate here (or anywhere really) because I don't care what others think about politics and I'm sure it's mutual, but this is hilarious....

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama defensively and sometimes testily insisted on Thursday that his administration, not oil giant BP, was calling the shots in responding to the worst oil spill in the nation's history.

"I take responsibility. It is my job to make sure this thing is shut down," Obama declared at a news conference in the East Room of the White House. The Gulf of Mexico oil spill dominated the hour-long session.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 27, 2010 3:02 pm

Moral of this story is shit happens. Nothing more, nothing less.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Ziner » Thu May 27, 2010 3:11 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Moral of this story is shit happens. Nothing more, nothing less.

I disagree with that. I think it will come out that it wasnt just an accident (EW already posted about them using seawater in some operations when they shouldnt have). It sounds as if BP was being negligent as well as the MMS. If these companies want to drill offshore (which I still agree with) they can not take shortcuts nor can the MMS who is there to look after them let the oil companies fill in their reports. With the right that comes with using that oil there is also a responsibility to do it in a safe manner. Lost in all of this was the 11 lives lost on that rig because of whatever BP did or failed to do, that can't happen if it can be prevented.

Additionally other companies should use this as a lesson that what they use now is not fail proof and extra measures should be taken.

I would also like to add that ANWR sounds a lot better now. A lot easier to fix problems when it isnt under 5000 feet of water. We need oil and will for the forseeable future. We should continue to use and explore the resources in this country to help fill that need, but at the same time we need to make sure that shit like this doesnt just "happen". A lot of livelihoods, shores, and sea life will be destroyed because of this, that is not acceptable.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 27, 2010 3:14 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:
WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama defensively and sometimes testily insisted on Thursday that his administration, not oil giant BP, was calling the shots in responding to the worst oil spill in the nation's history.

"I take responsibility. It is my job to make sure this thing is shut down," Obama declared at a news conference in the East Room of the White House. The Gulf of Mexico oil spill dominated the hour-long session.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama

If he's taking responsibility that's the best evidence yet that the situation is nearly under control. Obie ain't claiming responsibility for shit if that things still gushing crude.

No politician would.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu May 27, 2010 3:20 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Moral of this story is shit happens.

Sure, when you cut corners then "shit" usually does "happen".

And Ziner, good take overall but especially on livelihood when considering that the prez just temporarily killed 33 offshore rigs, new lease sales, and development projects.

http://www.upstreamonline.com/live/article216155.ece

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 27, 2010 3:23 pm

Ziner wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:Moral of this story is shit happens. Nothing more, nothing less.

I disagree with that. I think it will come out that it wasnt just an accident (EW already posted about them using seawater in some operations when they shouldnt have). It sounds as if BP was being negligent as well as the MMS. If these companies want to drill offshore (which I still agree with) they can not take shortcuts nor can the MMS who is there to look after them let the oil companies fill in their reports. With the right that comes with using that oil there is also a responsibility to do it in a safe manner. Lost in all of this was the 11 lives lost on that rig because of whatever BP did or failed to do, that can't happen if it can be prevented.

Additionally other companies should use this as a lesson that what they use now is not fail proof and extra measures should be taken.

I would also like to add that ANWR sounds a lot better now. A lot easier to fix problems when it isnt under 5000 feet of water. We need oil and will for the forseeable future. We should continue to use and explore the resources in this country to help fill that need, but at the same time we need to make sure that shit like this doesnt just "happen". A lot of livelihoods, shores, and sea life will be destroyed because of this, that is not acceptable.

I wasn't saying anything except that shit happens. BP may have missed some precautions, but I'm sure they didn't say "Hey, let's break this fuckin' pipe and watch shit get destroyed!"

Last thing they want to do is hemorrhage money and have to answer to the environmental agencies.

It's a sad story, but again, it's the shit happens department. Was it completely preventable? If it was, BP is run by enough intelligent people for them to say, "Let's make sure that this doesn't happen." Because they sure as shit are feeling the financial burden now.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu May 27, 2010 3:30 pm

His administration calling the shots is laughable. Governemnt with its 100's of checks and balances, and inability to make decisions that may result in someone getting blamed for something, seem to me the most efficient way to get things done.

Also war JB going all Scottish on us...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu May 27, 2010 4:01 pm

BP may have missed some precautions, but I'm sure they didn't say "Hey, let's break this fuckin' pipe and watch shit get destroyed!"

Maybe not in those words, but...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704026204575265701607603066.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEFTTopStories

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby jb » Fri May 28, 2010 10:26 am

Mark the date.

Pods and I agree on something almost political.

Man makes it.

It can break.

Period.
jb

Next

Return to No Holds Barred