Text Size

No Holds Barred

The Winter Olympics

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Re: The Winter Olympics

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:16 pm

Jonas Hiller had a fucking awesome tournament. He was great in the two games against us and unreal in the Canada game. Very very impressive.

Sigh of relief for the US.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:16 pm

Two things re: Canada vs. Russia

1. The NHL All Star game called and is wondering where the defense is.

Is this a 3 on 3 drill?

2. Is there anyone in hockey who can successfully move Rick Nash off the puck or his chosen position?
Last edited by peeker643 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:30 pm

Peeker643 wrote:1. The NHL All Star game called and is wondering where the defense is.

Is this a 3 on 3 drill?

Russia's defense was a serious question coming in to the Olympics. It's being validated tonight.

2. Is there anyone in hockey who can successfully Rick Nash off the puck or his chosen position?

Yes. Rick Nash. His laziness during Jackets games pisses me off so much that I can't stand him.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:1. The NHL All Star game called and is wondering where the defense is.

Is this a 3 on 3 drill?

Russia's defense was a serious question coming in to the Olympics. It's being validated tonight.

2. Is there anyone in hockey who can successfully move Rick Nash off the puck or his chosen position?

Yes. Rick Nash. His laziness during Jackets games pisses me off so much that I can't stand him.

Must be a motivational issue. Because against the US and again tonight he looks engaged and immovable.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:36 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:

Is this a 3 on 3 drill?

Must be a motivational issue. Because against the US and again tonight he looks engaged and immovable.

Tripods just hates him. That's all. Haters gonna hate.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:41 pm

skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:46 pm

lol. Nice.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:31 am

Excuse me sirs, could you please put out the cigars.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:57 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:Excuse me sirs, could you please put out the cigars.

Tells you all you need to know about the type of women who play women's hockey.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. It was disgusting what they did to Barndon Teena.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:09 pm

JB wrote:

Not that there's anything wrong with that. It was disgusting what they did to Barndon Teena.

Hockey...where the men are men.

And so are the women.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby waborat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:59 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:
JB wrote:

Hockey...where the men are men.

And so are the women.

waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby waborat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:22 pm

Early laugher...

Can't even take a leak without them scoring...

Rematch Sunday
waborat

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:29 pm

Holy shit!

Does hockey have a mercy rule?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:35 pm

I am beyond shocked. I really expected a close game.

The US needs to just play it out and avoid bad habits.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jack_tors » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:39 pm

This is a friggin blood bath! I had no idea USA had this game in them. Real nice to see the forwards scoring. Lets finish this one off and get ready to beat whoever wins the other game.

USA playing for the gold medal??? Who thought that was a possibility?
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:59 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:I am beyond shocked. I really expected a close game.

Bad habits? What does that mean? Those announcers parroted your take almost like they were reading this thread.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:03 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:

Bad habits? What does that mean? Those announcers parroted your take almost like they were reading this thread.

Tripods has Future Tivo.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:08 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:

Laziness is the biggest bad habit. You can psyche yourself out of a game like this and do bad things and they stay with you. Things like trying to make a move at the blue line and give up an odd man rush instead of getting the puck deep and protecting the lead. Make Finland go 200 feet to score.

Also, just things like bad cross-ice passes, not backchecking, letting Finland run Miller like they just did.

You've got to continue to play competitively, not lackadaisical.

The most important thing for the US is to not get overconfident. This game doesn't mean shit on Sunday, assuming the game stays the way it is.

Edit: Also, watch Ryan Miller. Watch his angle play. His controlling of rebounds. Those are the biggest bad habits that can kill us. He has had problems with focus with Buffalo. He has to stay focused, square his shoulders and face shooters. The worst thing that could happen to us, outside of an injury, is Miller to let in a couple of soft goals and let them beat him up.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby waborat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:37 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
Motherscratcher wrote:

Laziness is the biggest bad habit. You can psyche yourself out of a game like this and do bad things and they stay with you. Things like trying to make a move at the blue line and give up an odd man rush instead of getting the puck deep and protecting the lead. Make Finland go 200 feet to score.

Also, just things like bad cross-ice passes, not backchecking, letting Finland run Miller like they just did.

You've got to continue to play competitively, not lackadaisical.

The most important thing for the US is to not get overconfident. This game doesn't mean shit on Sunday, assuming the game stays the way it is.

Edit: Also, watch Ryan Miller. Watch his angle play. His controlling of rebounds. Those are the biggest bad habits that can kill us. He has had problems with focus with Buffalo. He has to stay focused, square his shoulders and face shooters. The worst thing that could happen to us, outside of an injury, is Miller to let in a couple of soft goals and let them beat him up.

Thx Skates...

I'm enjoying the hockey tutorial throughout these games :cheers:
waborat

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:43 pm

waborat wrote:Thx Skates...

Agreed. I like hockey but I watch it the same way most chicks watch football. I have no idea what anything means or why anything happens, but I know when something good happens because people start clapping and yelling.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby waborat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:28 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:
waborat wrote:Thx Skates...

Agreed. I like hockey but I watch it the same way most chicks watch football. I have no idea what anything means or why anything happens, but I know when something good happens because people start clapping and yelling.

Ha, I hear ya MS...

I'm not quite that green...

Been watching international hockey in the Olympics since '80, been to a few Penguins & Red Wings games, Lumberjacks, Monsters, etc...

Actually know what icing is ;-) ;) :wink:

But I've never understood the strategies (other than score & keep the damn puck outta the net) and/or schemes of the sport
waborat

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:44 pm

waborat wrote:But I've never understood the strategies (other than score & keep the damn puck outta the net) and/or schemes of the sport

It's a game of positioning and pressuring. There are plenty of different formations you can use.

I'll try to put together some basketball analogies to explain it. Think of forechecking like a press. That's when you pressure a guy in his defensive zone. Similar to running a man-to-man or a 1-3-1 or a 1-2-1-1, there are different types of forechecks. There's a 1-3-1, also called a 3 high, where one guy pressures, the two guys on the outside try to shadow the defenseman's outlets (the left and right wing), and the middle guy's job is usually to watch the opposing center. It's a forecheck mostly employed by defensive teams.

There's another variation of a forecheck that would be similar to a trap in basketball. The first guy pressures the puck and the second guy goes to a spot on the strong side (side where the other defenseman is) and pressures him. The goal is for the first guy to hit the puck carrier and neutralize him from receiving a return pass. This is a more aggressive forecheck.

Usually, what you'll tend to see is a passive 1-2-2 where one guy stops in front of the net and then as the defenseman picks a side to try and exit the zone, the forward follows him. It's designed to get a turnover in the neutral zone. This way, it's more safe than the high-pressure forecheck, because you're less likely to be outnumbered when the opposition enters your offensive zone.

Really, the key to hockey is to not be outnumbered in front of your own net. If the puck is below the goal line, the defenseman on the side of the ice with the puck carrier takes that man. The center plays on the strong side goalpost and is the first guy to help if the puck is loose or the puck carrier gets tied up. The weak side defenseman's responsibility is the back post. The two wingers have the responsibility of covering the point men, or the defensemen of the team with the puck.

Similarly, there are different penalty kill and powerplay formations. There's four main penalty kills. An aggressive box, a passive box, a triangle and one, or a diamond. The triangle and one is where three guys form a triangle and the guy closest to the puck pressures the puck carrier. The other are self-explanatory and are designed to prevent passes and get in shooting lanes.

There's two main powerplay formations. An umbrella and an overload. An umbrella is in the shape of an umbrella. One guy in front, one guy down low and then a triangle of guys towards the blue line. An overload is where you overload the side with the puck and attempt to get the puck to the point or the middle of the ice by having the support of two guys.

Basically, at 5 on 5, the important thing to do is not get outnumbered at all. You always want to match their guys, but never leave your own guy open.

I think things like this are the real reason why hockey doesn't get the love it should. A guy dumps the puck in to the zone and people ask "Why is he passing to no one?" They just don't understand the intricacies, and even the simple things of the game. The flow of the game gets broken up quite a bit with offsides too. Baseball is easy. See ball, hit ball, catch ball, throw ball. Football is easy. Block, run, catch, throw. Basketball is the simplest game on the planet. Obviously, there are plays and formations in those too, but it's not as critical to understanding the game.

Seriously, if you guys have any questions or don't understand, I'll try to explain them as best as I can.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:57 pm

waborat wrote:Actually know what icing is ;-) ;) :wink:

Me too. I love icing. I think vanilla is my favorite, but I'll really eat any kind.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:19 pm

Even though I am thoroughly enjoying this I still portend hockey goals are 90% garbage goals in which the circumstances surrounding the situation were skewed and unintended. Goals off a skate, knocked in by goalie's own team, almost completely obstructed views etc...

Not knocking those of you who are knowledgeable fans (hell I went to THE hockey school in the state) but it too often has the feel as if I'm watching the breaking of a pinata at a 5 year old's birthday party.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:03 pm

the more I watch hockey in the olympics, the more I wish C-town had an NHL team. starting to really gain an appreciation for the sport.

makes me want to dust off my old copy of "NHL 2000".
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:08 pm

Triple-S wrote:the more I watch hockey in the olympics, the more I wish C-town had an NHL team. starting to really gain an appreciation for the sport.

NHL 10 for 360 is pretty good. They have all the Olympic teams and tons of Euro leagues.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:12 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Triple-S wrote:the more I watch hockey in the olympics, the more I wish C-town had an NHL team. starting to really gain an appreciation for the sport.

NHL 10 for 360 is pretty good. They have all the Olympic teams and tons of Euro leagues.

auctually was about to buy that myself tommorow for PS3 (weather not-withstanding). Used to love playing with the Olympic teams in 2000, glad to see they're still there. Do they have a create-a-team option? would love to re-create the Cleveland Barons (not the minor league team) and have them rock the Q.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:23 pm

Triple-S wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

auctually was about to buy that myself tommorow for PS3 (weather not-withstanding). Used to love playing with the Olympic teams in 2000, glad to see they're still there. Do they have a create-a-team option? would love to re-create the Cleveland Barons (not the minor league team) and have them rock the Q.

I don't know if that have a create a team. I haven't really messed around with it that much. Just doing the season mode with my Blue Jackets. The menus are kinda shitty and scoring can be hard till you get the hang of aiming your shot with the left stick.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:45 pm

Milan Jurcina has been smashing Canadians tonight.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:37 am

Went through the whole thread and didn't see any mention of Tanith Belbin.... So there I've said it.

Also cool that Slovakia made the Semi-Finals interesting.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:59 am

My LL team last year peppered the Skate Park with home runs. In Encinitas the Magdalena YMCA built a pretty cool skate park just beyond the RF fence. In some of the jumps below, you can see out to the field, but about a 220-225 shot puts it in the skate park. When Shaun White is working out, word spreads fast and the kids are all watching. Tony Hawk and Bucky Lasek have been known to pop in, but I've only seen Shaun White, and I don't know the famous folks from that sport.

Anyway if you wonder how a coastal SoCal kid got the bug, it started with skating, and of course most kids around here end up snowboarding at some point every winter at Mt. High, Mammoth or Big Bear.

Shaun with some LLers and my all-star/travel ball leadoff hitter (though my kid wasn't around).

Our Majors field is in the background at the top of the screen but you can't quite make it out. Everything is jammed in here, if LL ever mandated 225 fences we'd have to move because the skate park overlooks the field. By the way my team, is the Encinitas LL Indians of course....

On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby dpdad » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:44 am

Did anyone else see the women's curling final last night? Started watching and couldn't tear myself away. That blue-eyed redhead for Canada was a very attractive MILF.

This is where NBC missed the boat, IMO. Instead of features on these gay boy skaters or 25 year-old swimsuit model skiers, do more features on people like Cheryl Bernard of Canada. Guarantee you the ratings would go up.
dpdad

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:01 pm

So we're in position and going for Gold in the 4 man bobsled and it isn't being broadcast on television?

This is 2010 right?

Unreal.

FUDU

Unread postby Ziner » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:42 pm

FUDU wrote:So we're in position and going for Gold in the 4 man bobsled and it isn't being broadcast on television?

This is 2010 right?

Unreal.

They did have time for a half hour production tying in some tiny town on newfoundland and 9/11. People love tying anything to 9/11, it gets old.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:56 pm

We won the Gold in the 4 man bobsled, not that anyone saw it, exciting huh?

FUDU

Unread postby waborat » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Ziner wrote:
FUDU wrote:So we're in position and going for Gold in the 4 man bobsled and it isn't being broadcast on television?

This is 2010 right?

Unreal.

They did have time for a half hour production tying in some tiny town on newfoundland and 9/11. People love tying anything to 9/11, it gets old.

THAT was one of the best human-interest stories I ever watched...

Honestly...

Although I agree, where was that story over the past 8.5 years?
waborat

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:41 pm

Great story indeed.

Anybody see the cross country final?

Incredible, so many classic finishes to that sport, and the awe inspiring determination and flat out strength of those guys, probably the best competitors in Olympics period.

FUDU

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:19 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PReim0Axt4

Hockey time folks.

America V. Canada for all the marbles.

should be fun to watch as this is probably a bigger pressure for the Canucks.

Triple-S

Unread postby waborat » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:23 pm

FUDU wrote:Great story indeed.

Anybody see the cross country final?

Incredible, so many classic finishes to that sport, and the awe inspiring determination and flat out strength of those guys, probably the best competitors in Olympics period.

Another great finish!!!

Amazing, the stamina those cats have...

Let the puck drop now in the Olympic finale
Last edited by waborat on Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waborat

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:23 pm

I just want to win in Canada in front of those fans. Just to ram it right down their throats would be sweet.

Porbably lots of Molson and Blakc Velvet being consumed across the great white north.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby comish » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:33 pm

Some serious hitting going on
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:34 pm

comish wrote:Some serious hitting going on

Danny Heatley going ass over elbows into the US bench. :thumb up:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:35 pm

I hope it goes to the shoot out, that would make Tripods' head explode.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:39 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
comish wrote:Some serious hitting going on

Danny Heatley going ass over elbows into the US bench. :thumb up:

lol.... It's funny because he killed someone.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:40 pm

Shit.....
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby comish » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:53 pm

Love it, punches thrown. This is pretty good Tv even though I'm no huge hockey fan.
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:56 pm

Fighting in hockey is great. But I understand why the don't allow it in the Olympics.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby comish » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:18 pm

That hurts...US needs to show some fight here.
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:20 pm

Just keep getting puck on Luongo, eventually he'll choke.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby comish » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:28 pm

As you were saying :yessss:
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

PreviousNext