Text Size

No Holds Barred

The Winter Olympics

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Re: The Winter Olympics

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:41 pm

gawddamnit.

I set up everything perfectly and CDT gets the close.

Feh.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:54 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:gawddamnit.

I set up everything perfectly and CDT gets the close.

Feh.

There's no way I could've done it without you, just like Maverick needed Iceman.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:07 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:So deflated right now. Ryan Miller makes that save 99/100 times.

That was my non-hockey fan interpretation.

Thanks for clarifying that it was right.

Miller seemed like he hated himself for missing that save.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:10 pm

Agreed.

Something about the Olympics that goes a long way in showing how much these million dollar athletes do care about winning v losing when it comes down to it.

Miller trades his salary this year for that save and a Gold IMO.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:So deflated right now. Ryan Miller makes that save 99/100 times.

I'm also a Sabres fan, so I've watched Miller a ton. He's very very hard on himself. He's been tremendous all year long. I have to assume that Rafalski tipping that pass on its way to Crosby threw him off a little bit and he just went down too slow. If he's down earlier, Crosby has nothing to shoot at and probably aims high corner and fires it wide.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:17 pm

FUDU wrote:Agreed.

Something about the Olympics that goes a long way in showing how much these million dollar athletes do care about winning v losing when it comes down to it.

Miller trades his salary this year for that save and a Gold IMO.

No doubt, money comes and goes, but that gold medal is eternal.

The US has nothing to be upset about, they pushed the Canadian All Star Team to the very edge, dominating them in the first game. They played hard and never quit, which is all you can really ask for.

We may never see NHL pros in the Olympics again so this was a nice way to go out.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:18 pm

That is the other thing, I haven't watch the NHL since the lock-out, but I knew almost the entire Canadian roster.

I still don't know who in the eff was playing for us.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:19 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:

I'm also a Sabres fan, so I've watched Miller a ton. He's very very hard on himself. He's been tremendous all year long. I have to assume that Rafalski tipping that pass on its way to Crosby threw him off a little bit and he just went down too slow. If he's down earlier, Crosby has nothing to shoot at and probably aims high corner and fires it wide.

Don't know if you saw the post game interview or not, but he said Crosby "looked up" a bit quicker then he expected.

Not sure what the really means (as in if it was public speak or truth).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:28 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Don't know if you saw the post game interview or not, but he said Crosby "looked up" a bit quicker then he expected.

Not sure what the really means (as in if it was public speak or truth).

It was his way of saying that he reacted too slowly. Goaltending is all about anticipation. Ryan Miller spent the entire tournament anticipating perfectly. That goal was the one time he didn't. When he says "looked up", guys have a different look about them when they go to shoot than when they look around carrying the puck.

It was just a really unfortunate situation. Rafalski and Miller were the two best players for Team USA all tournament and they were the two guys who had to be right there when Crosby scored.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jack_tors » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:51 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
It was just a really unfortunate situation. Rafalski and Miller were the two best players for Team USA all tournament and they were the two guys who had to be right there when Crosby scored.

Rafalski got beat on that first goal as well turning it over. All 3 Canadian goals were the results of turnovers in the zone.

All in all, the USA hung with the best Olympic team and gave them a run for the gold. It was an impressive olympics for a very young USA team. Hopefully they come back in 4 years more seasoned, more talented, and without Jamie Langenbrunner. I hate that asshole.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Ziner » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:07 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:That is the other thing, I haven't watch the NHL since the lock-out, but I knew almost the entire Canadian roster.

Same exact thing, I have heard of and could name the team of 75% of Canada's roster. But the US? Ha. I remember hearing Rafalski's name at some point, I knew Kane because I lived in Chicago and the rest of them I only heard of 2 weeks ago.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:49 pm

Rush is rumored to preform at the closing ceremony if anyones watching it.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Spin » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:35 pm

That is the other thing, I haven't watch the NHL since the lock-out, but I knew almost the entire Canadian roster.

We had the youngest roster in the tournament they said. And it showed today with some sloppy play.

Just imagine these boys with a few more years of NHL play under their belt. This should only be the beginning.

If Bettman lets them play in Russia in 2014, that is...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby jordan kramer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:38 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:We may never see NHL pros in the Olympics again so this was a nice way to go out.

theres talk about that, but i think thats just talk. this tournament was great this year, not only for the olympics, but for all of hockey. the NHL star factor was a part of it. how many people never really cared about ryan miller before the games, but will check out some sabres games now because of it. same with Parise and Kane. i mean, the golden boy of the NHL and the biggest star in Canada parked the GW goal. something will be worked out. they'd be crazy to change it back to college kids and juniors nobody's ever heard of, this tournament was too great
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby waborat » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:00 am

jordan kramer wrote:how many people never really cared about ryan miller before the games, but will check out some sabres games now because of it. same with Parise and Kane.

No they won't...

Americans are too lazy to find out what channel Versus is on (if they even get it?), let alone sit for 3.5 hours watching a game...

They would rather blow mulla on video games and cell phone bills then go to a game...

As far as pro players? We don't really care about them either...

Gold medal game on a snowy Sunday? We would have sat and watched inept imps
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:34 pm

for you Tripods, for some reason it wont post as an img.
Attachments
24962_336130886633_563066633_3754236_6127350_n.jpg
24962_336130886633_563066633_3754236_6127350_n.jpg (62.44 KiB) Viewed 676 times
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Spin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:58 am

OK but the big question is, are you more of a hockey fan now?

Will you look for NHL games to watch (if you didn't before)?

Will you take a road trip to Cbus, Pissburgh, or Detroit and catch a game live?

Go to more Monsters games?

Will the gamble of shutting down the NHL during a serious lag period in pro sports pay off?
Spin

Unread postby comish » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:15 pm

Spin wrote:OK but the big question is, are you more of a hockey fan now?

Will the gamble of shutting down the NHL during a serious lag period in pro sports pay off?

For most Americans the answer is "No"

IMO, this is why:

The average American simply can't identify with the sport. If you walked up to 100 adult males and asked them if they, at any time played Basketball, Football, or Baseball (organized or otherwise) you would probably get about 99% to say yes. (Tempted to go full 100, but there is always a possibility that somebody lives in a cave and avoided gym class for 18 years)

If you asked the same question about ice hockey, you MIGHT, get around 5%, maybe even less.

As fun as hockey is to watch at times...the public just can't get behind it because they DO NOT identify personally with it.

Awful hard to find ice time in the United States. I wonder how many more adult/youth leagues there are in Canada? How many more rinks?

This to me is a huge reason why hockey struggles to attract the throngs of other professional sports...even golf.
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:21 pm

Spin wrote:OK but the big question is, are you more of a hockey fan now?

No.

I don't even know if this next statement is true, but perception is reality in this case.

The NHL game is not the same game as what we just watched. It is slower and less skilled. Even with a lot of the same players, the game itself just seems different.

And if USA played Canada on a Wednesday night for fun, I wouldn't watch that. The only reason I get into Olympic Hockey is because each games has meaning. Those guys are playing their asses off for their country.

I think the perfect example (from what I hear from hockey fans and what I saw in the Olympics) is Rick Nash. Tripods and some co-workers of mine that are hockey fans are always dogging him. Yet, playing for Team Canada, I saw a beast of a player. Playing defense in the neutral zones and then leading the attack following a forced turnover.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:34 pm

Doesn't change anything for me. I'm already a fan of playoff hockey and will also watch a regular season game like last night's Detroit-Colorado game if I stumble upon it.

I don't plan an evening around it but I enjoy the sport when the stakes are higher or the intensity is ratcheted up via rivalries.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:47 pm

Long Live The Barons!!!!!

(and Crusaders)
waborat

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:48 pm

Peeker643 wrote:Doesn't change anything for me. I'm already a fan of playoff hockey and will also watch a regular season game like last night's Detroit-Colorado game if I stumble upon it.

I don't plan an evening around it but I enjoy the sport when the stakes are higher or the intensity is ratcheted up via rivalries.

From someone who watches the sport regularly, the only games that are close to the skill level, speed, and excitement of Olympic/playoff hockey are Capitals v. Blackhawks games in the regular season. And they play once, maybe twice.

The Olympics and the playoffs are a whole different level. It's impossible to sustain that kind of game for the drudgery of the regular season. To top it off, due to the 13-day Olympic break, the teams had less off days this season.

I'm just a hockey fan. My dad was a goalie for Cleveland South HS back in the 70s when he went there and I was always exposed to hockey because we went to Lumberjacks games, I even remember a couple from Richfield Coliseum.

comish, another thing you forgot to mention is the overall price of hockey. Full equipment costs at minimum $400 new. Ice time ranges in this area from $120-$185 an hour from the rinks I've gone to.

You want to play baseball, you get a glove and a ball. That costs $35 for a decent glove. You want to play football, you can throw around a $10 football from Wal-Mart. Basketball? Easy, grab a ball, go to the park. Soccer, grab a ball.

Many people who I play hockey with had to stop moving up the ranks because their parents could not afford it. All of the travel is insane. My cousin's girlfriend's nephew is a top notch goaltender for a Chicago travel team of '99 births. $3500 for him to play. Plus, all the travel, including Cleveland, and several Ontario destinations.

It doesn't have mass appeal because it's not readily available to be played. I spent years putting holes in the garage door with street hockey balls and a net my dad built for me. The netting was orange construction fencing. I used to staple paper plates to the goalposts for practicing hitting corners.

Kids in Canada had frozen ponds they could skate on from November-March. Plus, damn near everyone's home town had a big name player from it. It's just the reality of it all.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Squints » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:41 pm

Took a break from this thread following the gold medal game aftermath, it's nice to see it righted. I throughly enjoyed the Olympics on all levels. Some quick observations:

- Thanks to Tripods and Jack for your anlaysis on the hockey. I am probably like most Americans and not increase my viewing of the NHL that much. Hard rooting for any other team that is not from Cleveland. However, my favorite player is definetly Ryan Miller. I can see myself becoming a Sabres fan (closest team to where I live that doesn't hail from Pittsburgh). I hate Crosby even more. Everytime he got the puck in OT, I kept repeating "Anyone but him, anyone but him." Watch out for the Avalanche's Ryan O'Reilly in '14 for the hosers.

- Completely shocked that we did not get an Inbred take out of SSS when Crosby scored the goal.

- Two most meaningful golds for the US- The Night Train gang winning a bobsled gold and Bill Demong's Nordic Combined (and the US's performance in the NC). Winning these events historically dominated by the Euros will hopefully quiet the cynics/critics who claim that the US's climb up the metal standings from single digits and low teens to the 30's is soley due to the addition of more X-gamish events. While that has helped, we are making gains in the traditional events too.

- Curling is boring. I'm sorry to those fans. I loved it in '06, but the bloom is off the rose for me. Combined with the crappy and down right awful clutch performance of Shuster/US team and the lack of Cassie Johnson for the women, it did not hold my interest. Probably in the same vain if you had someone from Europe watch baseball.

- I go back and forth on this, but I enjoy the pureness, non-watered down and less comercialized event that is the Winter Olympics versus their summer counterparts. May have a different viewpoint after 2012.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby Spin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:38 pm

I go back and forth on this, but I enjoy the pureness, non-watered down and less comercialized event that is the Winter Olympics versus their summer counterparts. May have a different viewpoint after 2012.

I like the winter olympics better. People going stupid fast in ice canyons, hockey. Now the Winter X Games stuff.
Spin

Unread postby waborat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:59 pm

Whether you're right, left, up, down or in the sentor like JB, that's funny chit
waborat

Unread postby Spin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:09 pm

I've always liked hockey, even though I've never been on ice skates. I like the speed, I like the hitting. I go to quite a few Wooster Junior A League games, Akron U games, some Monsters games. But other than the Stanley Cup or the new years day stadium games, I can't say that I have seen an NHL game in years. Probably since the lockout.

I use to go to the NHL games at the Coliseum, when the NHL scheduled neutral site games. Even though they're a short drive away, I've never been to a Pittsburgh or Columbus game. They just haven't gotten my attention since the 80's and 90's.

The NHL just doesn't catch my attention. Even with the olympics, the access to college, junior, and minor league teams. A Cleveland team would do it, but it'll never happen with the NBA here. I'd prefer an NHL team any day, but it aint gonna happen.
Spin

Unread postby hebner20 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:12 pm

hebner20 wrote:I really don’t have a favorite event but I enjoy the bobsled, luge, the skiing events – downhill, cross country as well as the ski jumping. I also enjoy the various speed skating events but I’m not a fan of the figure skating or ice dancing competitions.

I also occasionally watch the hockey but it seems as though I get more interested the more frequently I watch. I am not a fan of the NHL but will take a look at the outdoor game they televise annually on New Year’s Day. I think I do that mostly due to the novelty of seeing a game played outdoors at a historic venue such as Wrigley Field or Fenway Park.

The men’s gold medal hockey game will be played on February 28th – the last day of the Olympics. I will probably watch some of it no matter who is playing. My first real interest in Olympic hockey was etched in stone almost 30 years ago – February 22, 1980. That was the “Miracle on Ice” game in which the USA team beat the Soviets 4-3 to advance to the Gold medal round against Finland. I still get chills when I think about what that victory meant at that time in history. It was the rag tag bunch of amateurs and college kids versus the best professionals that the Soviets could field. This Soviet team routinely trounced NHL all star teams of that era. It is no wonder that the story was made into a TV movie in 1981 and a Feature Film in 2004. The only thing that surprises me is that it took that long to hit the silver screen. If you have not seen it I would recommend it – perhaps watch it this week.

Here are some interesting facts to note about that game. It was not televised live in the afternoon (except on Canadian TV) but on tape delay in primetime. It was not the gold medal game. As I stated above they had to beat Finland to get the gold. It is the most watched hockey game in USA television history. In 2008, the International Ice Hockey Federation picked the “Miracle on Ice” as the number-one international hockey story of the century. Sports Illustrated voted it as the greatest sports moment of the 20th century. The picture of the American team celebrating the win on the Sports Illustrated cover the following week is the only cover in its history without a caption or headline. The team was named the Associated Presses athlete of the year.

That hockey win was probably my most memorable Olympic sporting event.

The '72 Munich Summer games and the terrorist attacks rank as #1 in shock value. The '96 summer games were also marred by a terrorist attack. 2 killed over 100 injured. I almost forgot about that. Saddened to see the luger get killed this year.

Spoiler Alert:

USA, USA, USA!

Nothing like it was in 1980. now it is pro vs. pro but still cool all the same.

The last Winter Olympics (in 2010) was the 30 year anniversary of the miracle on ice. For the heck of it I thought I would take a look at the progress athletes had made over the years in getting faster at some events. I decided to look at speed skating and cross country skiing.

As I was looking into this I realized that there is another story from 1980 that needs a mention. One that gets forgotten since it happened at the same Olympics as the “miracle on ice”. That hockey victory over the USSR was very dramatic but many people forget that it was not the gold medal game. The unforgotten story of the 1980 Winter Olympics was that of speed skater Eric Heiden.

What he did in that Olympics was never done before and has never been done again. He won all 5 Gold medals in the speed skating events. He won them in grand fashion by setting 4 Olympic and 1 World record while winning his events. That is not the most impressive thing about his success in that Olympic competition. His most amazing feat was that he won at all distances, sprints and long-distance events. His events were; the 500, 1000, 1500, 5000 and 10,000 meter and he swept them all!

As an FYI, Heiden went on to a career in bicycle racing winning the US professional cycling championship and competing in the Tour De France. He was named by ESPN as the 46th best athlete of the 20th Century in 1999. After his bicycle racing career he graduated from Stanford with an M.D in 1991.

When I told my brother this in an email he responded with one word. Dope. I laughed and he was probably right.

Cheers.
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Previous

Return to No Holds Barred