Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner
by mistero » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:14 am
by FUDU » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:31 am
mistero wrote:I heard message boards offer the best advice so here it is.I have a job offer for about 10k more a year plus a 20k signing bonus to move to Seattle and work for a private firm. Full beni's and chance for advancement . I work for a big hospital now and have a very safe position with zero chance for advancement...(but also very high job security,pension , and beni's).I would have to sell the house ,probably just break even, and buy a new house. Plus relocate the kids to new schools, new friends, ect.The weather and life style looks very appealing . The job is actually in Bremerton on the Puget sound accross from Seattle. It looks pretty small town-ish , nice. The cost of living is 4 percent lower than Cleveland, for what ever that's worth.I'm leaning 60/40 against taking it.Can anyone give me a push either way?
by hebner20 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:37 am
by mistero » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:54 am
by Erie Warrior » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:04 pm
mistero wrote:Phone interview on Monday. Thinking about asking for the moon to make it easy to say no.
by mistero » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:11 pm
by mattvan1 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:38 pm
mistero wrote:Preschool, 2nd and 4th grade. 4th grader really doesn't want to go but will be ok if he gets his own bedroom away from his little brother.How quickly into the interview can you make rediculous demands?I'm in such a bizarre niche job field. I should be making 22K a year bagging groceries. It's surreal sometimes the options life opens and closes for you.
by General » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:43 pm
by mistero » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:24 pm
by Fubar » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:58 pm
by Commodore Perry » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:54 pm
mistero wrote:Yeah, that's why she is so gung ho about moving.Me? I would miss my friends and family, but definately not her mother. Cripes that woman needs to be hit by a falling peice of space lab.
by BroncoFan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:12 pm
by peeker643 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:19 pm
by exiledbuckeye » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:01 pm
by Ziner » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:11 pm
by mistero » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:16 pm
by Ziner » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:20 pm
by mistero » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:26 pm
by exiledbuckeye » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:53 pm
by Guest » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:03 am
mistero wrote: The wife is more interested than I am,as a chance to have a fresh start. She has persistant drama from her mother and friends.She would move tomorrow.
by mistero » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:09 am
by FUDU » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:53 am
mistero wrote:Fact is I love rainy, cloudy weather. It would be ideal for me.
by Erie Warrior » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:10 am
by mistero » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:39 pm
by mattvan1 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:24 pm
mistero wrote:Ok, here's the update.I got a call from the recruiter about 30 min. before my phone interview with the owner. He says he just wants to be clear on the numbers. The salary he quoted me is really, salary plus health beni costs, plus xmas bonus, plus cell phone/meals.travel expenses/plus 401k matches...ect ect. Basically the offer would be 30 grand less. I let him know thanks but no thanks. My minimum numbers were x for salary and y for bonus. Just like we discussed.And good luck and good wishes.He calls my cell phone twice and leaves voice mails. The owner calls me. He sends me a new proposal. Still way short of what I'm looking for.The kicker is he says I'll only have to work 25-30 hours. Like I want to move across country and give up a fulltime job for a part time job.Really? Really? I'd rather hear he wants me to work 50-60 hours.So I'm out unless they come back with some real numbers. Christ I feel like Cribbs!
by mistero » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:29 pm
by FUDU » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:08 pm
mistero wrote:I have 2 days to sleep on it but thinking about playing it safe and staying put, but with each shovel load of snow I think harder and harder.
by mattvan1 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:25 pm
mistero wrote:Yes, it was Monster..I would assume. Only one I'm on.They came back with 3 more small bumbs. Final offer now on the table. I talked to the owner for an hour. Like the guy. Love the job as it's described to me.The recruiters promise everything. The owner was very clear on what was in the offer.I'm sure I know this offer is the last one.They came way up on the base salary and will give me a full 40-50 hour workload, which will add a good deal of overtime/week end bonus pay.But the relocation bonus was all the recruiters imagination. It went from 30k to now only 4 weeks paid in an extended stay holiday inn when I get there.Will make it hard to sell a house and bridge to a new house with out that 30K.I have 2 days to sleep on it but thinking about playing it safe and staying put.
by travisfitzwater » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:49 pm
by jb » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:33 pm
by mistero » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:16 pm
by mistero » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:05 pm
Return to No Holds Barred
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests