Text Size

No Holds Barred

Masters or Certificate Program?

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Masters or Certificate Program?

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:35 pm

Much to the impending chagrin of e0y2e3, I've come here to ask for some advice.

I was going to do a MS program through Drexel U., but I can't enroll until August 2010. I was giving myself 6 months after college to find something in my field, and that hasn't happened, despite numerous applications, and having my resume memorized word for word.

So, now, I've got a decision to make. I've looked into the MSS (Masters of Sport Science) Sport Management program at the United States Sport Academy in Alabama. They've got an online program which I'll be doing rather than live in the deep south. The whole thing costs somewhere around $20k. (33 semester hours at $550 a course plus other expenses)

USSA also offers certificate programs. The Sport Management certificate program is 18 semester hours, so that one will be closer to $8-10k. I would also think about getting the Sport Coaching certification if I went the certificate route.

I can do a dual-masters which is somewhere between 42-45 semester hours.

So my dilemma is this. First, if I went the Masters route, I'll have to go take the GRE. Then, try to have everything in order within the next 3-4 weeks so I can get in the program starting January 4. The certificate program doesn't need the GRE, just a college transcript.

If there are people around here who have gone above a bachelor's, or those who do hiring, how much better would a MSS look than a certificate? I'm one of those people who has a strong desire to enjoy their job rather than just collect a paycheck, which is why I'm going the sports route.

Any help is much appreciated. I honestly can't decide what to do. I don't know if it's worth double the money and nearly double the workload to get a Masters. Or, should I go ahead and get the certificate and then see if I can use those 18 credits towards a MSS down the line?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Masters or Certificate Program?

Unread postby Stu » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:02 am

we need to know what job you want, and what career path you would like to take, prior to giving any advice.
Stu

Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:01 am

Don't mess with online certificates. Get the Masters. It's more expensive and more difficult for a reason. It will open more doors.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby jb » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:32 am

Stu wrote:we need to know what job you want, and what career path you would like to take, prior to giving any advice.

+ 1

Backwards completion principle.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:43 am

JB wrote:
Stu wrote:we need to know what job you want, and what career path you would like to take, prior to giving any advice.

+ 1

+2

Also I getting my MBA right now, I didnt even look to apply until 2 days before the application was due and had not taken the GMAT before hand. Give the school a call and they may give you an extension, I got an extra 2 weeks. Do the masters, it might cost more money, but it is worth a lot more afterwards.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Stu » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:47 pm

Ziner wrote:
JB wrote:

+ 1

+2

Also I getting my MBA right now, I didnt even look to apply until 2 days before the application was due and had not taken the GMAT before hand. Give the school a call and they may give you an extension, I got an extra 2 weeks. Do the masters, it might cost more money, but it is worth a lot more afterwards.

+3

sort of

many schools allow you to take classes as a non degree seeking student until you complete your GMAT or GRE
Stu

Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:15 pm

Not sure exactly what job I want. My ideal career path would be to go in to player personnel at the lower levels of minor/junior hockey and then work my way up. I'm afraid though that it's a "who you know" business instead of "what you know". That's why I've been wondering if the certificate is enough.

I'm leaning toward the Masters now, because if nothing else, it's still a management background. It may not be an MBA, but at least I still have some level of management training.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby jb » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:47 pm

If you are a recnt grad, you'd be sooooo much better off if you just gelled, did some sort of McJob, and spent the rest of the fall and spring going after a grad assistantship HARD for fall '10. Get a stipend & schoolie and get your education paid for instead of having to deal with a loan (assuming you aren't a trust fund Randy dandy ) . The GA will also be a resume builder. It doesn't even have to be an academic job.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to No Holds Barred