Text Size

No Holds Barred

H1N1 vaccinations

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

H1N1 vaccinations

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:27 am

Anyone getting these? I believe starting today people can get them, but I am torn on it. I never get flu shots. The one year my family and I did get them, we are were sick for weeks from the freaking shot. Have heard some horror stories about the H1N1 vaccination on Triv and I think some other talk shows.....anyone hear anything about it to recommend or not recommend getting it? Just seems awfully quick that a "vaccination" came out and my fear is we rushed it too quick to the public.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Re: H1N1 vaccinations

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:43 am

I'm on the same side of the fence, 'sig. In the 27 years of my life I have had the flu once, and that was a few years back about a month after I had received the flu shot. I haven't had it since and have been fine. I'm staying away from all flu vaccines from now on.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby mistero » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:30 am

Neighbor girl has swine flu. She's stable but pretty sick. My daughter was playing at her house all last week. It's coming to my kids I fear. Fortunately most cases are mild. I would take the shot and give it to my kids if it was available. I don't think we'll get it in time to be helpful.

They started giving them at work but only for select areas. I guess I'll get mine next week.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:34 am

mistero wrote:Neighbor girl has swine flu. She's stable but pretty sick. My daughter was playing at her house all last week. It's coming to my kids I fear.

Geez man, best of luck with your kids and the neighbor. Hope all turns out well there.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:37 am

If I had kids I would get them the shot. Mortality rate is well above norm for children and especially teens.

That said, I've never gotten the flu in my life and don't plan on getting the shot.

FWIW the most likely reason you get sick after a flu shot is because you were already infected and got the shot during the incubation period. For the H1N1 vaccine, the mist has a severely weakened live virus and the shot has a dead virus IIRC.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:40 pm

I think I'm getting it. I normally wouldn't. But, my son just turned 1. He was born 10 weeks early. He was about 3 lbs when he was born and he probably just doesn't have the immunity at this point that a full term baby would have.

It scares the shit out of me to give the kid the vaccine, but I think it scares me even more not to. We'll ask his doctor but I seriously doubt that a doc would recommend him not getting it, and us as well.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:09 pm

I haven't had the Flu in 5 years, i'm concerned i'd end up getting sick from the shot. We got a few people at work out the H1N1, so I assume i've come in cotact with it at some point. I'm just gonna load up on extra Vitamin C and hope I can prevent it.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jack_tors » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:19 pm

I am not getting it. I am not convinced its that much worse than the normal flu and I am not sure they fully understand it.

When I hear "experts" try to compare this to the Spanish flu of 1916-1918, I just cringe. Totally different as that was horrible and preyed on people 18-40, totally out of the norm. Thats the scary,worse case scenario.

Wash your hands, try to avoid sick persons as much as possible, and if you do get sick, watch for the warning signs of the illness getting more serious than the flu (pneumonia, etc..).

Good luck and good health to all... except Steelers fans..
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:00 pm

CDT - nice avatar. What were the official numbers, about 250 kills from Oct to Jan?

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:37 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:CDT - nice avatar. What were the official numbers, about 250 kills from Oct to Jan?

Off Topic:
Color me impressed, you know your WWII Snipers. According to Wikipedia, he had 225 confirmed kills including 11 enemy snipers. They based that on retrieved Nazi dog tags, but obviously in some situations it would be impossible to retrieve them in the middle of a battle. IMO the propoganda campaign surrounding Zaytsev was arguably the most important act of the Russian involement of WWII, it created a ground swell of support and helped turn the tide of the Battle of Stalingrad. That Russian winter was pretty helpful too.

Snipercentral.com has him listed as having 400 confirmed kills. In his memoirs I believe he said he lost count. He isn't even in the top 10 of kills by Russian Snipers, Ivan Sidorenko had 500 kills in the battle of Moscow. Finnish sniper Simo Hayha aka "White Death" had 542 (505 confirmed by the Russians themselves) friggin kills in the Winter War with Russia from November 1939 to March of 1940. He also didn't use a scope, which is insane.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:59 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Bayou Tribe wrote:CDT - nice avatar. What were the official numbers, about 250 kills from Oct to Jan?

Off Topic:
Color me impressed, you know your WWII Snipers. According to Wikipedia, he had 225 confirmed kills including 11 enemy snipers. They based that on retrieved Nazi dog tags, but obviously in some situations it would be impossible to retrieve them in the middle of a battle. IMO the propoganda campaign surrounding Zaytsev was arguably the most important act of the Russian involement of WWII, it created a ground swell of support and helped turn the tide of the Battle of Stalingrad. That Russian winter was pretty helpful too.

Snipercentral.com has him listed as having 400 confirmed kills. In his memoirs I believe he said he lost count. He isn't even in the top 10 of kills by Russian Snipers, Ivan Sidorenko had 500 kills in the battle of Moscow. Finnish sniper Simo Hayha aka "White Death" had 542 (505 confirmed by the Russians themselves) friggin kills in the Winter War with Russia from November 1939 to March of 1940. He also didn't use a scope, which is insane.

nm
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:06 pm

Children change the whole equation IMO.

You got em you have to weigh all the options different, despite my views that this is all hyped up BS.

For myself, never have & never will get one of these shots.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:29 pm

I've had pneumonia 4 or 5 times so i get a flu shot every year....

LOL,,,,I also get the flu every year

I got a flu shot two weeks ago since I was already at the doc for my yearly phys

Ironically, or not, I had just gotten over the flu a week before that had me in bed for 3 days

So really, WTF difference does it make?

I think its all a ruse to line pockets with insurance company monies

Like curing/treating cancer and eliminatingtaxes/dismatling the IRS and all the job losses that would go along with them

I really hate thinking like this but I'm almost forced to consider it....is it simply that there is more money in treating cancer than curing it and that the cure is intentionally delayed for maximum profits/bleeding of the consumer guinea pigs, all in the name of eliminating Social Security receipients and population control?
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby RC » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:20 pm

I kinda have an issue here with what I should do.

I have received the flu shot twice in my life. Both times I was sick for a week after taking it.

However.....

I usually don't get the flu but my job I come in contact with a lot of people every day (I'm a door to door salesman) so I'm thinking I have a pretty good chance of coming into contact with people that will have it eventually.

I'm right now going the CDT route and taking a lot of extra Vitamin C to try to defend myself.
RC
Keepin' The Faith In Y-Town

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Chris Grant

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:22 pm

Vaccinations are important to get you kids, but I'm not sure with flu shots. H1N1 is probably worth it, a specific vaccination for a specific strain. Other flu shots, not so much. They'll protect you from a particular family of viruses, but you can still catch another strain of the flu and get sick.

The nasal spray does contain live virus, and the shot uses non-viral components. I haven't heard of any bad reactions to either, but I'm sure there are some instances.

I'm not going to get one as of now, but they have closed down some schools down here because of the number of sick students. Most of it has been a 24 hr flu bug. The flu is like spider bites, dangerous mostly to babies and old people.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby mistero » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:37 am

Just got my H1 shot. Geez is my arm sore. Will get the family taken care off on saturday. Hopefully it helps.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Unread postby dpdad » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:10 pm

FWIW, my wife is a hospital pharmacist and she does not want to get the vaccination for our kids. She thinks there's a lot of media hype over this.

I remember getting a swine flu shot at the Ohio U health clinic in 1976. Didn't have any bad reaction (nor did I get the flu), but I wouldn't do it again, either.
dpdad

Unread postby mistero » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:36 pm

No offense DP, but what does a pharmacist know about the swine flu? It's like me commenting on blood pressure medicines.

My wife works in a pharmacy too and she always comes home with some tidbit or medical advice from the pharmacist she works with and treats it like it came from an MD. Sorry but no.

I'll trust the CDC on this on.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:20 pm

I was on the fence about getting the vac, till I watched this. I have never had one, so I am taking my chances, and not getting one. My kids have had them before, so I was ok with them getting it, than my wife said no, and I am ok with that also, but one is sick today, and three kids have it, from his class.

WarAdmiral

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:46 pm

WarAdmiral wrote:I was on the fence about getting the vac, till I watched this. I have never had one, so I am taking my chances, and not getting one. My kids have had them before, so I was ok with them getting it, than my wife said no, and I am ok with that also, but one is sick today, and three kids have it, from his class.

Nice scare music/editing on that video.

Unfortunately, you ought to take it with a grain of salt.

There seemed to be three major claims in it.
1) Use of adjuvants in vaccines.

There are no adjuvants in the H1N1 vaccine.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1981 ... d_RVDocSum

Further, there is no evidence that aluminum-containing vaccines are dangerous. They have been used for something like 80 years.
During the first 6 months of life, infants could receive about 4 milligrams of aluminum from vaccines. That’s not very much: a milligram is one-thousandth of a gram and a gram is the weight of one-fifth of a teaspoon of water. During the same period, babies will also receive about 10 milligrams of aluminum in breast milk, about 40 milligrams in infant formula, or about 120 milligrams in soy-based formula.

All babies are either breast-fed or bottle-fed. Because both breast milk and infant formula contain aluminum, all babies have small quantities of aluminum in their bloodstreams all the time. The amount is very small: about 5 nanograms (billionths of a gram) per milliliter of blood (about one-fifth of a teaspoon). Indeed, the quantity of aluminum in vaccines is so small that even after an injection of vaccines, the amount of aluminum in a baby’s blood does not detectably change. In contrast, the amount of aluminum in the bloodstreams of people who suffer health problems from aluminum is at least 100 times greater than the amount found in the bloodstreams of healthy people.

http://www.chop.edu/export/download/pdf ... um-eng.pdf

2) Risk of GBS
In 1976, there was a small risk of GBS following influenza (swine flu) vaccination (approximately 1 additional case per 100,000 people who received the swine flu vaccine). That number of GBS cases was slightly higher than the background rate for GBS. Since then, numerous studies have been done to evaluate if other flu vaccines were associated with GBS. In most studies, no association was found, but two studies suggested that approximately 1 additional person out of 1 million vaccinated people may be at risk for GBS associated with the seasonal influenza vaccine. It is important to keep in mind that severe illness and possible death can be associated with influenza, and vaccination is the best way to prevent influenza infection and its complications.

36,000 people per year die from the flu. This strain seems more deadly. There are side effects from vaccines, that's true, and the pros and cons must be weighed against each other. In this case, the extremely slight risk of GBS is more than offset by the lives saved.
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/gbs_qa.htm

3) Thimerosol
Despite what some very visible celebrities would have you believe, there is in fact no scientific evidence linking autism with thimerosol.
Three ecological studies performed in 3 different countries compared the incidence of autism with thimerosal exposure from vaccines. In each case, the nationwide removal of thimerosal—which occurred in 1992 in Europe and in 2001 in the United States—allowed robust comparisons of vaccination with thimerosal‐containing and thimerosal‐free products, as follows:

In Sweden and Denmark, researchers found a relatively stable incidence of autism when thimerosal‐containing vaccines were in use (1980–1990), including years when children were exposed to as much as 200 μg of ethylmercury (concentrations similar to peak US exposures). However, in 1990, a steady increase in the incidence of autism began in both countries and continued through the end of the study period in 2000, despite the removal of thimerosal from vaccines in 1992.
In Denmark, researchers performed a study comparing the incidence of autism in children who had received 200 μg (1961–1970), 125 μg (1970–1992), or 0 μg of thimerosal (1992–2000) and again demonstrated no relationship between thimerosal exposure and autism.
In Quebec, researchers grouped 27,749 children from 55 schools by date of birth and estimated thimerosal exposure on the basis of the corresponding Ministry of Health vaccine schedules. School records were obtained to determine age‐specific rates of pervasive developmental disorder. Thimerosal exposure and pervasive developmental disorder diagnosis were found to be independent variables. Similar to previous analyses, the highest rates of pervasive developmental disorder were found in cohorts exposed to thimerosal‐free vaccines. The results were unchanged when both exposure and outcome definitions varied.
Four cohort studies that examined thimerosal exposure and autism have been performed, as follows:

In Denmark, researchers examined >1200 children with autism that was identified during 1990–1996, which comprised 3 million person‐years. They found that the risk of autism did not differ between children vaccinated with thimerosal‐containing vaccines and those vaccinated with thimerosal‐free vaccines or between children who received greater or lower quantities of thimerosal. They also found that the rates of autism increased after the removal of thimerosal from all vaccines.
In the United States, using the Vaccine Safety Data Link, researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention examined 140,887 US children born during 1991–1999, including >200 children with autism. The researchers found no relationship between receipt of thimerosal‐containing vaccines and autism.
In England, researchers prospectively followed 12,810 children for whom they had complete vaccination records who were born during 1991–1992, and they found no relationship between early thimerosal exposure and deleterious neurological or psychological outcomes.
In the United Kingdom, researchers evaluated the vaccination records of 100,572 children born during 1988–1997, using the General Practice Research Database, 104 of whom were affected with autism. No relationship between thimerosal exposure and autism diagnosis was observed.

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/fu ... 086/596476
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=14
http://www.who.int/vaccine_safety/topic ... index.html
http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccin ... /UCM096228

All that said, I do feel like a bit of a hypocrite as I already stated I won't get the vaccine. But the decision is not based on fake science.
aoxo1

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:51 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saHs6J0OXVI&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
aoxo1

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:54 am

+billion for the Maddox reference.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:12 am

Slight tangent... but I read something about a woman being diagnosed with dystonia 10 days after getting a standard flu vaccination.

It's on YouTube if you wanna see how bad it is. Type 'cheerleader' and 'dystonia' together or something.

Whether or not that particular incident is real or not, the condition itself is real. And it sucks.
Last edited by Bill the Butcher on Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:27 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:Slight tangent...

Things like these make it hard for me to believe there is a God. Well, allow me to rephrase... a God that cares.

http://www.huliq.com/8059/87832/celebrities-support-woman-help-woman-disabled-flu-vaccine

YouTube it if you want too. It's just terrible.

Bad things happen sometime. I know this is a logical fallacy, but the fact that Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carrey, with all of their vaccine "expertise", are taking up this case makes me skeptical.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:32 am

lol ya

I didn't fully read the article before posting it. I just wanted to post any link regarding the incident to show some legitimacy.

But whether or not that particular incident is real or not, the condition itself is real. And it sucks.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:39 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:lol ya

I didn't fully read the article before posting it. I just wanted to post any link regarding the incident to show some legitimacy.

But whether or not that particular incident is real or not, the condition itself is real. And it sucks.

Believe me, my heart goes out to this young woman. I can only imagine my son in her position. I hope she is able to get treatment and maybe get back to some semblance of health. I just hate how loons like Carrey and his wife are propping her up as proof that vaccines kill.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:44 am

gotcha
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby mistero » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:14 am

There are good treatments for dystonia including the use of deep brain stimulation. I hope she has a well informed doctor. This condition can be beat.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Unread postby mistero » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:01 pm

2nd neighborhood girl now down with swine flu. My kids are getting their shots on saturday. How come I feel like this is going to be a race to beat the clock?
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Unread postby jb » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:55 pm

If y'all hadn't run Mac off the domain with the college sports brewhaha, we could get a definitive answer on this issue.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:28 pm

JB wrote:If y'all hadn't run Mac off the domain with the college sports brewhaha, we could get a definitive answer on this issue.

Et tu JB? I was hoping Mac would bust off a post on the pros and cons of the vaccine. Was told by a physician that anyone who comes in with flu-like symptoms, they aren't even testing him/her for swine flu, already considering the person to have contracted it and will be treated as such. Also, said young children aren't doing well with the nasal version of the vaccine, FWIW.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby mistero » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:53 pm

My wife and kids just waited 5 hours OUTSIDE at the North Ridgeville education center to get their swine flu shots. They ran out of injections , so the family got the inhaled version. I'm just happy they got it. Hundreds of people are still in line. Surreal.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:43 pm

mistero wrote:My wife and kids just waited 5 hours OUTSIDE at the North Ridgeville education center to get their swine flu shots. They ran out of injections , so the family got the inhaled version. I'm just happy they got it. Hundreds of people are still in line. Surreal.

Anybody passing out the shots dressed up like the boogie man, ya know cuz of Halloween?

To each their own though, cannot blame anybody for taking the kids for shots.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby MartyM » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:16 pm

Waited 2.5 hours at Avon High School and they ran out. The pisser is that we even pre-registered but all that eneitle you to is less paper work.
Official TCF Photographer
http://www.photosbymartyllc.com
http://www.photos_by_marty.fototime.com

Ask me about custom Fatheads

“The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.” - V. Lombardi
MartyM

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: PittsPuke

Unread postby TCBinaflash » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:55 pm

My son got the flu.

He is not quite 1 1/2 years old and he suffered for about 5 days but made it through fine.

I guess my wife and I also got it but we had the flu awhile back real bad and it didn't hit us nearly as hard as the flu normally does. I'm 100% fine, the wife just went to the doctor with a throat infection we thought was strep but turns out it is a parting gift from the H1N1.

They said to watch for shortness of breath otherwise it should run its course in a week or so.
TCBinaflash

Favorite Player: Michael Bourn
Least Favorite Player: Ron Karkovice

Return to No Holds Barred