Text Size

No Holds Barred

Shaker Heights

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Shaker Heights

Unread postby Lebowski » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:24 pm

Can someone give me some info on Shaker Heights? Looking to purchase an east-side house, and like the inner-ring suburb feel. Price range is $250-$350. Is SH a good area for a late twenties couple looking to start a family? What neighborhoods are best?

Thanks.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Re: Shaker Heights

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:33 pm

Lebowski wrote:Can someone give me some info on Shaker Heights? Looking to purchase an east-side house, and like the inner-ring suburb feel. Price range is $250-$350. Is SH a good area for a late twenties couple looking to start a family? What neighborhoods are best?

Thanks.

I can tell you this about Shaker; if you're travelling to anywhere outside Shaker you're 35-45 minutes away. I live in Madison and I can literally get to Hopkins in the same amount of time as it takes me to get the soccer field in Shaker where my youngest plays.

I understand that may well be a reason you're interested and the reason Shaker is still a desireable location, but damn if there's an easy way to get in and out. ;-) ;) :wink:

Good luck in your search.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:00 pm

Lebowski wrote:Can someone give me some info on Shaker Heights? Looking to purchase an east-side house, and like the inner-ring suburb feel. Price range is $250-$350. Is SH a good area for a late twenties couple looking to start a family? What neighborhoods are best?

Thanks.

Pretty tough. I guess you could go lower end in Pepper Pike or mid-market in Mayfield. As for Shaker, you'd have most everything you needed in terms of restaurants, grocery stores, bars, etc., but you're looking at a 30 minute commute to an affordable mall (unless you can shop at Beachwood). I've never really been around a lot of people from Shaker/University Circle, but the few I have seem to feel a little bit entitled.

I don't know how I'd really feel about the school district in Shaker, looking fairly far ahead. You might be better off trying to live in Orange or Mayfield if schools are a priority down the pike for you and the missus.

For me, the problem with Shaker or Cleveland Hts is that you aren't far from the shitty areas. Those areas may start creeping closer and closer over the next 5-10 years. If you're looking at this place to be a home for 10-15+ years, it's something to really consider.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby pup » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:08 pm

Just go to Mentor.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Lebowski » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:13 pm

if you're travelling to anywhere outside Shaker you're 35-45 minutes away. I live in Madison and I can literally get to Hopkins in the same amount of time as it takes me to get the soccer field in Shaker where my youngest plays.

Alrighty then...not good news. I'll be driving to the Youngstown area a few times a week for work.

Any other good options with easy access to 271?
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Unread postby Lebowski » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:14 pm

Just go to Mentor.

I know nothing about the Mentor / Willoughby area...care to enlighten?
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Unread postby jack_tors » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:21 pm

Lebowski wrote:if you're travelling to anywhere outside Shaker you're 35-45 minutes away. I live in Madison and I can literally get to Hopkins in the same amount of time as it takes me to get the soccer field in Shaker where my youngest plays.

Alrighty then...not good news. I'll be driving to the Youngstown area a few times a week for work.

Any other good options with easy access to 271?

I live in the Reminderville, Twinsburg, Aurora area and love it. Twinsburg and Reminderville have some nice homes, reasonably priced. The Twinsburg and Aurora schools are excellent and its only an hour drive to Youngstown (I know, I drive to Mahoning Valley couple times a year). Cleveland is 25/30 minutes away

Only draw back is that depending on what you are used to, supermarkets, etc are 10-15 minutes away. And a mall, forget it..

I grew up in Lake County (Willowick/Eastlake) and moved out here over 3 years ago. I dont plan on moving back..

Good luck in your house hunting, if you need any additional information, hit me up.
Last edited by jack_tors on Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Lebowski » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:21 pm

Also, what about Cleveland Heights? I know there are some shitty areas, but the walkability factor there is a plus (Cedar-Fairmount, Cedar-Lee).
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Unread postby waborat » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:23 pm

Lebowski wrote:Also, what about Cleveland Heights? I know there are some shitty areas, but the walkability factor there is a plus (Cedar-Fairmount, Cedar-Lee).

Like Peek & 3Pods said earlier, the entire Hts (University, Cleveland & Shaker) are a lot alike, but they seem far from EVERYTHING unless you like that type of thing?

Personally, I do a lot of work in those areas and they just don't have that friendly vibe to them..."entitled" was a good word...

If you've got 350+K and you need to drive to Youndstown and you like the walkability factor then how 'bout Chagrin Falls? IMO, one of the nicest places in NEO...

Some other areas near 271 that I would recommend are:
Bainbridge
Solon
Mayfield Hts
Highland Hts

Or yes, like Pup said, look into Lake County (Willoughby, Mentor, Kirtland), but the drive to YTown is longer
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby swerb » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:59 pm

One thing to consider: Shaker's taxes are ridiculously high. Highest in NE OH IIRC.

I would echo waborat's thoughts. Chagrin Falls is great. Also really like Mayfield Village and Highland Heights. And Solon/Twinsburg are great as well. You will get more home for your dollar in Twinsburg than any of those cities, and it's just as nice. Twinsburg also has very low taxes. More suburbia than Shaker. Great parks, schools, amenities.

All those aforementioned cities have great school systems as well, if you plan on spitting out a couple kids anytime soon.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:52 pm

Swerb wrote:One thing to consider: Shaker's taxes are ridiculously high. Highest in NE OH IIRC.

I would echo waborat's thoughts. Chagrin Falls is great. Also really like Mayfield Village and Highland Heights. And Solon/Twinsburg are great as well. You will get more home for your dollar in Twinsburg than any of those cities, and it's just as nice. Twinsburg also has very low taxes. More suburbia than Shaker. Great parks, schools, amenities.

All those aforementioned cities have great school systems as well, if you plan on spitting out a couple kids anytime soon.

Shaker, University, and Cleveland Heights are very high tax communities that offer plenty of city services and decent schools. They are the older inner ring type suburb hence the difficulty in getting easy access to modern conveniences like a mall or interstate. These communities were essential built out prior to the 50's so they missed out n the sprawl enjoyed by the second ring of suburbs. Got to be careful about Cleveland Heights and Shaker though, some of the neighborhoods are on the decline. Cedar Road and Warrensville has a mall, and Mayfield and South Taylor has a big box type mall.

If I had to live on the east side, I would visit the above communities and get a feel for them, as they do have positives, the Coventry Road area is full of culture, also the Fairmont Cedar road area is kinda hip. You are near both Case Western and John Carroll University.

Anyhow after looking at those I would go the the second ring of Beachwood, Lyndhurst, ... I think you would have better luck in those areas.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Lebowski » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:14 pm

Thanks for the info.

Back to the topic at hand...does anyone have any comments about Shaker Heights itself? More specifically, the Fernway neighborhood?

Thanks.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Return to No Holds Barred