Text Size

No Holds Barred

Considering an Iphone

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Considering an Iphone

Unread postby GreatGoo » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:08 pm

I have been with Verizon forever but I was just told today at work that they will cover my expenses to get a smart phone (Blackberry or Iphone).

I currently have an Ipod Touch and I absolutely love the thing. It’s amazing! I have always wanted an iPhone but it never made sense financially until now. Now I finally have the chance to turn two devices I carry into one. However, I have heard from a few people that AT&T service is horrible in this area. I don't want to spend the money to get out of my Verizon contract to be disappointed with AT&T and then come back.

Does anyone have an iPhone, especially on the westside? How does the service work for you? Many dropped calls?

Thanks for any input!
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Re: Considering an Iphone

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:25 pm

I just recently got an iPhone. Live south of Cleveland.

I'm happy with it. No dropped phone calls. Signal is fine. Internet can get kind of spotty, but I don't mind for that.

The apps are cool, but I'm not one of those psychos with 18 gazillion of em.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:39 pm

Bill the Butcher wrote:I just recently got an iPhone. Live south of Cleveland.

I'm happy with it. No dropped phone calls. Signal is fine. Internet can get kind of spotty, but I don't mind for that.

The apps are cool, but I'm not one of those psychos with 18 gazillion of em.

Which apps ya like? Always looking for something I don't have. For a free app, 'Sportacular' is awesome. Set it to push scoring changes and results from whatever teams you follow to your phone, get the current betting lines, select winners and losers and the phone keeps track of yor record, etc.

Like the FB and Twitter apps, the GPS app, Weather Channel, ESPN, etc.

Pandora is sweet as well.

I have about 10 I actually use.

Thing I like best with smartphones is a friend of mine has a server and directory dedicated to recording the Stern Show. It saves it every hour. I go to the web browser at 8am when I get to work and can listen to the show stating with that 6am hour. Have some speakers for the phone in my office (and the mute button handy when the phone rings ;-) ;) :wink: ) but it's just great to have that ability to listen to the show, pause it, etc.

Love the iPhone. I was dead set against it but when my work phone died I decided to go with the iPhone for $99. Great move.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby That_Guy™ » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:50 am

You need to check out Jailbreaking your iphone and ipod touch. There are tons of free apps/tweaks/themes/ ringtones and other stuff. Its quick and easy to do and if you do happen to mess something up, you can always do a restore to fix it. If you need som.e help with it, just let me know
The first rule of Fight Club is: Don't tell Chuck Norris about Fight Club.
That_Guy™

Favorite Player: Leroy Jenkins
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Guest » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:08 pm

Love my iPhone. Had Verizon for years and had no problems with them. But my phone was outdated and it was time for a new one and it was my birthday in April ... so iPhone. Got a refurbished 8GB one off the AT&T site for $99. Now, they've put out a more advanced version since so prices for different GB will be different. Might be able to get a nice deal on a 16 GB like I did for the 8 GB. Just speculating on that.

Drawbacks with my version -- can't send text pictures. No video-taking capabilities (except for watching vids on the web). Camera is solid and pics look real nice on the phone but don't always carry over quality when posting to web. You'll get great pics with it from a couple feet away out in nice bright sunlight. Anything else, meh. (I love it for posting instant pics to Facebook, but they don't always look so good on there depending on where you've taken them.)

Service is spotty, especially in rural areas. I've had problems out in Geauga/Ashtabula counties, but also had some probs w/Verizon out there, though not as much. Couldn't get a connection down in the Flats a couple weeks ago. Very disappointed out in the cornfields of NW Ohio a few weeks ago where I never had a problem w/Verizon.

Battery won't last a full day and maybe not even a half day under heavy use. Say you're going to the ball game, you want to take some pics, you want to text people, you want to check scores on the web, maybe call a couple people. Won't have much energy left after the game. One nice thing is you don't have to plug the iPhone into your computer to charge it. You can get an adapter for it that plugs into an electrical outlet.

So many cool features, not sure if you can do them on other phones, but a couple I like:

* There is a Notes app that comes with it. Type up some notes on there, then you can instantly email the notes.
* If you come across a phone number on the web, just touch the screen and it will dial it.

There's apps for just about everything. I downloaded an NBA and MLB one. Each shows all the up-to-the second scores. For $9.99 there's an MLB one that shows all the up-to-the-second stats and game situations as well as gives you the radio broadcast of every team both home and away. That's amazing.

Overall I love the iPhone. Main problems are that AT&T is not as good as Verizon.

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:41 pm

GodHatesClevelandSports wrote:Drawbacks with my version -- can't send text pictures.

Not anymore! I woke up this morning to a text from AT&T saying that the new iPhone update allows us to now send and receive picture messages.

Still a wonder why it took so long.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby Guest » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:52 pm

Bill the Butcher wrote:
GodHatesClevelandSports wrote:Drawbacks with my version -- can't send text pictures.

Not anymore! I woke up this morning to a text from AT&T saying that the new iPhone update allows us to now send and receive picture messages.

Yeah, I just got that text this afternoon. Sweet!

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:54 pm

GodHatesClevelandSports wrote:
Bill the Butcher wrote:

Yeah, I just got that text this afternoon. Sweet!

Haven't received that as of yet. Damn it.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Return to No Holds Barred