Text Size

No Holds Barred

The FBI is creating "terrorists"

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

The FBI is creating "terrorists"

Unread postby jfiling » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:05 am

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsN ... 3520090924

In early 2009, "it appeared that Finton was on the verge of taking action, so it was decided to proactively provide him with an opportunity for action that we controlled, rather than merely hoping to be able to find out and stop him," according to a government affidavit.

He was introduced to an undercover FBI agent who began working with him to plot an attack, but Finton was repeatedly told he could walk away at any time, according to the Justice Department.

Eventually, Finton picked the federal building in Springfield as the target and on Wednesday he parked a van he believed carried one ton of explosives at the location, the complaint said.

I just don't understand this. This guy wanted to fight against Israel, so the FBI set up an elaborate sting to make him think he was part of a big plan to blow up the federal building in Illinois, and then they arrested him for a crime that never would have happened if the FBI hadn't set it all up in the first place.

Am I crazy, or would surveillance on this terrorist wannabe be a better use of taxpayer dollars, and possibly lead the FBI to real terror cells in the U.S., if they exist? It just seems insane to me that we're going to lock this guy away, probably for life, without actually getting any real terrorist intel in the process.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: The FBI is creating "terrorists"

Unread postby jfiling » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:11 am

I guess I should have read all of Drudge's top of the page links, because the FBI did this twice, at least, in the past week.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 7db8b.html

A 19-year-old Jordanian citizen was arrested Thursday in a dramatic FBI sting operation after he parked a vehicle laden with government-supplied fake explosives at an iconic downtown Dallas skyscraper and attempted to detonate it, authorities said.

How much money did this one cost, to again not take down anyone but some illegal who was able to be duped by the government into trying to blow up a building?
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:51 am

I am probably way off, but I think there used to be a word called entrapment.
WarAdmiral

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:00 am

WarAdmiral wrote:I am probably way off, but I think there used to be a word called entrapment.

Not if you are an enemy combatant. Due process laughs at enemy combatants.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:20 am

mattvan1 wrote:
WarAdmiral wrote:I am probably way off, but I think there used to be a word called entrapment.

Not if you are an enemy combatant. Due process laughs at enemy combatants.

That is sensible, and no doubt the streets are a bit safer with this kook behind bars. This might make other kooks think twice about volunteering to blow up federal buildings if some Joe invites them to that party.
WarAdmiral

Unread postby jfiling » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:23 am

Actually, the courts have pretty much eliminated the crime of entrapment, period. If they hadn't, the "To Catch a Predator" stuff, and prostitution and drug stings would never pass muster.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:28 am

jfiling wrote:Actually, the courts have pretty much eliminated the crime of entrapment, period. If they hadn't, the "To Catch a Predator" stuff, and prostitution and drug stings would never pass muster.

They need a new "To Catch a Predator" I could watch those all day. One of the best shows ever created IMO. Of course they were just going over to tell the young lady how dangerous it is, to do what she is. Dont mind that 6'er of Bartles and Jaymes and box of condoms. :spanky:
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby jfiling » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:26 am

Ziner wrote:
jfiling wrote:Actually, the courts have pretty much eliminated the crime of entrapment, period. If they hadn't, the "To Catch a Predator" stuff, and prostitution and drug stings would never pass muster.

They need a new "To Catch a Predator" I could watch those all day. One of the best shows ever created IMO. Of course they were just going over to tell the young lady how dangerous it is, to do what she is. Dont mind that 6'er of Bartles and Jaymes and box of condoms. :spanky:

jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby idoctribefan » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:02 pm

Ziner wrote:

couldn't agree more. Only thing worth watching on MSNBC.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Return to No Holds Barred