Text Size

No Holds Barred

Authority

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Do you have inherent trust for authority?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:59 pm

Always
No votes
Usually
42%
Sometimes, really depends on specifics
26%
Rarely
32%
Never
No votes

Total votes : 19

Authority

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:59 pm

This board seems to get into some good back n forth about authority.

By authority I am not just referring to law enforcement, as that often dominates the authority discussions in here. I am talking law enforcement, management (in the workplace) and many of the other times and places in life where a person/group of authority seems to be in place.

Discussion welcomed I was just curious how a poll would end up.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Authority

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:05 pm

First! Great poll, and I look forward to the discussion.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:43 pm

When it comes to police, almost always. Even when they are dicks. I've been on the wrong end of that stick a few times, and I've learned my lesson.

Other authority, not so much. I get very condescending and pretentious when I "know" what I'm asked to do is inefficient or lacks sound judgement. I'll usually ask my superiors to justify their decisions, which is never a good thing. But I've got a degree, 2 professional licenses and a sparkling observation history, so I bet I can find another job if push comes to shove.

I can also carry heavy things, so I got that going for me.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:21 pm

Doesn't 'inherent' imply it's always there? Like a 'yes' or 'no' answer without levels?

I agree with EW: With law enforcement, yes, it's there until it is lost by an individual/organization. With other positions of authority like teachers, managers, etc, no, that trust and level of respect needs to be earned.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:24 pm

I'm sure my vote was the same as EW and Peek, and my reasons and rationale are the same... Usually...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:28 pm

Inherent means belonging to the essential nature of a thing, not necessarily always (yes or no). IOW do you have a natural trust in authority. I feel it is possible to quantify it by degrees.

FUDU

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:42 pm

Trust and respect are different. I have an inherent distrust of authority, but that doesn't mean I don't respect authority that is legitimate.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:00 pm

I voted for option 2 for police and judges. 90% of politicians I have no respect for.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:28 pm

Agreed aoxo, and I think the vast majority of people confuse trust and respect for authority. You can completely distrust authority but still respect it.

I also think there are a lot of people that feel authority it an inherent concept to begin with. IOW that the concept of authority just naturally exists b/c of the nature of authority. Authority only exists b/c we grant it, we allow authority to exist by our choice to agree upon a social contract that is supposed to be aided by and thrive with the help of authority.

FUDU

Unread postby municipalmutt » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:02 pm

I have a theory that if you say "says who" enough times, you'll end up in jail. I've only ever tested this theory once. It worked.

Edit: As far as trusting authority. For me it's always been a matter of accepting the authority. When I do do concede authority to someone/something, I usually respect/trust it. There are positions of authority that demand respect (police, boss, etc..) it is up to the individual holding these positions to to ensure trust is established. Trust is earned while I think respect is more of an upfront requirement.
Last edited by municipalmutt on Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
municipalmutt

Unread postby jfiling » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:09 pm

municipalmutt wrote:I have a theory that if you say "says who" enough times, you'll end up in jail. I've only ever tested this theory once. It worked.

Do you mind sharing if you were convicted of anything?
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby municipalmutt » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:23 pm

jfiling wrote:
municipalmutt wrote:I have a theory that if you say "says who" enough times, you'll end up in jail. I've only ever tested this theory once. It worked.

Do you mind sharing if you were convicted of anything?

Well back in '89 when I retired from the military, I was in a suburb of Orlando. Got drunk on the 4th of July and proceeded to climb out of my apartment balcony up to the roof to get a better view of the fireworks and throw some of my own.

Some maintenance worker said I wasn't allowed on the roof, followed by the super, followed by the landlord, followed by the police, followed by a threat to get the SWAT team. I was busted for disorderly conduct, posted bond in about 6 hours. The charges were dropped and I wasn't convicted.
municipalmutt

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:42 pm

Edit: As far as trusting authority. For me it's always been a matter of accepting the authority. When I do do concede authority to someone/something, I usually respect/trust it. There are positions of authority that demand respect (police, boss, etc..) it is up to the individual holding these positions to to ensure trust is established. Trust is earned while I think respect is more of an upfront requirement.

I think trust and respect both should be earned.

Respect should come into play with authority in so much that you respect that the entity has been given authority, but at least IMO that respect MUST be earned and the entity that has the authority should acknowledge that.

I agree about saying "says who" enough times, however IMO that comes back to bite you in the ass b/c it looks like a sign of disrespect more than a sign of distrust.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:29 pm

FUDU wrote:

Respect should come into play with authority in so much that you respect that the entity has been given authority, but at least IMO that respect MUST be earned and the entity that has the authority should acknowledge that.

I agree about saying "says who" enough times, however IMO that comes back to bite you in the ass b/c it looks like a sign of disrespect more than a sign of distrust.

When you were a young FUDU what did your mom and dad teach you about the police? Did you learn early on that they they were 'the good guys' and that they were there for your benefit and to protect people or did mom and dad tell you they were an authoritarian branch of law enforcement who had to earn your trust and respect and who weren't to be trusted until that time?

Me? When I was a little Peeker643 ma and pa 643 told me the police were the good guys and there for my benefit to protect and keep us safe. It wasn't til I was older that I figured out there were always a few who tarnished the badge. Still that way today for the most part.

I consider that inherent since it was taught from before I can remember and is an essential part of what makes me me.

Of course, YMMV. We all have experiences that shape our opinions as we get older.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:00 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
FUDU wrote:

When you were a young FUDU what did your mom and dad teach you about the police? Did you learn early on that they they were 'the good guys' and that they were there for your benefit and to protect people or did mom and dad tell you they were an authoritarian branch of law enforcement who had to earn your trust and respect and who weren't to be trusted until that time?

Me? When I was a little Peeker643 ma and pa 643 told me the police were the good guys and there for my benefit to protect and keep us safe. It wasn't til I was older that I figured out there were always a few who tarnished the badge. Still that way today for the most part.

I consider that inherent since it was taught from before I can remember and is an essential part of what makes me me.

Of course, YMMV. We all have experiences that shape our opinions as we get older.

I get what you are saying, but I look at it like I do a lot of things that our parents teach us as kids that we truly need to decide for ourselves as we mature (IE religion).

I was told/taught that the police were good and there to protect us, for the most part I find that true as I stand here as an adult. However my level of distrust, (which BTW I voted rarely), is based upon how authority always expands, never contracts, and most of the time it is to the benefit of the entity in authority. IOW there is always some kind of agenda that has little to do with benefiting those not in authority.

As authority expands the liberty of those that must answer to authority contracts.

I respect authority, just have little trust in it.

FUDU

Return to No Holds Barred