Text Size

No Holds Barred

College Advice

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

College Advice

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:24 pm

I don't normally like to go on here and ask for personal stuff on the internet. But, I'm trying to really weigh out the options here before I do something.

I'm taking a psych. class this semester and It's thus far not been very good, The proffessor just had us take a test where like close to half of the material came from things we never reviewed in class or were in our notes. He also flipped out prior to a test when I simply asked him how much of a certain chapter (which we went over very quickly and hardly looked at) was going to be on said test and said I'd confuse over half the class. I didn't pose the question in a disrespectful way by any means, I even said I had studied that Chp. and was just checking to see how much of it was going to be there (which I did). I'm not a bad student by any means and it's not like I blew anything off.

Now half the class has either failed or got a D on the test (myself included). And rather than seeing this as a problem, he's decided that if anything he's going to go even faster through the material, citing the reason that he felt the number of people passing/failing would stay the same regardless.

I'm really questioning if I should drop this class at this point and was curious what are some of the other folks on the board have done with a prof. like this?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: College Advice

Unread postby Stu » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:32 pm

need more info

how far are you into the semester/trimester?

what financial impact will you have from dropping?

will a drop be on your transcript?

are there other professors teaching teh same class, or are you just delaying things?

have you spoken to a college advisor who is familiar with the class? perhaps other students have expressed similar opinions. maybe this has happened in prior years where half the class fails every test but they then end up with B's and C's for their overall grade.
Stu

Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:03 pm

Well, you can definitely drop it. I would guess it's your 4th week of class, so, if it's like Akron, you would get about 1/3 of your money back. Pretty shitty setup, but that's how it goes.

C's and D's get degrees, bud. This is especially true if psych isn't your major.

For future reference, I always asked about certain professors beforehand with buddies and other people in my major. Also, I believe www.ratemyprofessors.com is still working. That was always a good one.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:18 pm

Triple-S wrote:The proffessor just had us take a test where like close to half of the material came from things we never reviewed in class or were in our notes. He also flipped out prior to a test when I simply asked him how much of a certain chapter (which we went over very quickly and hardly looked at) was going to be on said test and said I'd confuse over half the class.

Did the material come from assigned readings? As someone who teaches at the college level, if I assign it as a reading, I expect you to know it. Period. I'm not going to regurgitate everything from the reading in my lecture, because that would be pointless, and because it would defeat the purpose of the students being responsible for learning and making their own connections.

Just to give you some insight from the other side, if half of my class did as poorly as you describe, I'd certainly review my methods and the exam itself. However, that doesn't always mean I'm going to change what I'm doing. Sometimes college students need a kick in the ass, and I won't dumb down a class for some unmotivated students. Right or wrong, that's how this professor is probably feeling right now. I'd suggest talking to the professor during office hours. A lot of older professors are unwilling to change or adapt, or just have a hard time distinguishing "lazy kids" from "kids who are genuinely preparing/studying/trying and having trouble". Even fewer are willing to admit that they might be the problem. Try to figure out which camp he falls in before you decide to drop the class. He just might be pretty thick and not realize the true nature of the problem.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:36 pm

I just had a situation like this, except my class was required for my major. The professor's handwriting was terrible, and I couldn't read what he wrote on the board. And he didn't start at the top of the board either, he just wrote whatever he happened to move on to, wherever he felt like on the board. So the first material may be on the upper right part of the board, then he goes to the middle, then to the upper right, then lower left, then erases the middle, etc. It just went in a seemingly random part of the board. I had serious problems following the material.

I ended up dropping the class. I didn't feel I was retaining any information, and I always left the class feeling 1) thoroughly confused and 2) pissed off. I don't regret my decision, because I now have more time to devote to my other 3 classes without trying to decipher what the notes I took from that class mean.

You need to do what you think you need to do. If you feel it's in your best interest to drop the class and try again with a different professor next semester, then I don't think many people will use that against you. If you feel it's worth it to try to stick it out, take the (potential) hit to your GPA, and never have to worry about the class again, then that's what you should do. Weigh the risks and rewards and make an informed decision.

One other question I though of: Does he grade on a curve?
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:58 pm

Thanks for everyone in this thread for their help!

I had a talk with my dad about it, and he told me it's better to just drop the class, the guy has taken to an attitude of assuming I'm a kid that doesn't care about his studies and already lumped me into that group. That couldn't be farther from the truth BTW.

I'm very disappointed with how this guy treats students. Just because a student is struggling with a subject at hand or does not know what sections to look over as he didn't make things more clear, doesn't make them stupid or lazy.

I am also curious, has anyone else ever had a bad experience like me and StewieG?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:03 pm

Triple-S wrote:Thanks for everyone in this thread for their help!

I had a talk with my dad about it, and he told me it's better to just drop the class, the guy has taken to an attitude of assuming I'm a kid that doesn't care about his studies and already lumped me into that group. That couldn't be farther from the truth BTW.

I'm very disappointed with how this guy treats students. Just because a student is struggling with a subject at hand or does not know what sections to look over as he didn't make things more clear, doesn't make them stupid or lazy.

I am also curious, has anyone else ever had a bad experience like me and StewieG?

You'd be less overwhelmed with responses if you asked if there's anyone out there who DIDN'T have a bad experience with a college instructor.

It's good practice for life.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:17 pm

Are you taking this class for S&G's or do you "need" it according to some curriculum requirements?

If the latter stick it out or speak with somebody in admin, if the former, get out, get out now.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:47 pm

Seriously, dude. Everybody's had a professor like this. One of those guys where you text your friends on the way to your car or your dorm saying, "Man, Brown is such a fucking dick." And they agree, and you go about your way.

You're going to have to deal with assholes in every facet of life and school is no different. For the most part, I didn't have guys like this. I had one guy who was a real prick, kind of resembled Anthony Hopkins. I dropped his class while I could still get all my money back and emailed another professor asking to get in her class. You can probably do that. Just check the class listings for another class at the same time, or close to it, with another professor. Odds are, you can probably switch and just let the admissions office know and you won't be charged.

But, you might as well grin and bear it. You're always going to have to deal with dicks. Just do your work, take your C, and move on with your life. Psych ain't an important class.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:50 pm

Two pieces of advice, both unrelated:

1. If you are going to college with student loans, when you get the refund check immediately turn around and send the money to your loan provider.

2. Go to the dean's office of the college under which that professor is teaching and explain the situation. No professor is going to stay employed long if he is giving near-failing grades to a majority of his students.

Furthermore, good luck in your studies.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:35 pm

Triple-S wrote:Thanks for everyone in this thread for their help!

At CSU there was a teacher that I had advanced warning was a douche and was able to avoid his class by taking it in the summer. Actually wound up with a fantastic professional CEO coach that liked to teach during the summer. Close as I ever got to your situation. Also don't sweat the teacher, you dropped, I'd just move on and forget about the guy. In a couple years you won't even remember or care about the situation.

Sometimes its just oil and water. I won't pretend to be a perfect student... Got caught reading the sports page in African American History a required diversity class that I thought was foolish waste of my time. It is what it is...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:25 pm

Update

Dropped the class. I also got a part-time job now due to being free from those hours. Again, thanks to everyone whom helped in this thread! If I was legal (only 8 more months), I'd buy you guys all a beer. :cheers:

Triple-S

Return to No Holds Barred