Text Size

No Holds Barred

What's the god damn point of celebrating Labor Day if...

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

What's the god damn point of celebrating Labor Day if...

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:05 pm

...people with small, meaningless jobs still have to work.

i.e. Gamestop

Seriously citizens of the country and corporate America. Get your heads out of your asses.

I swear, the first fat idiot who comes in Monday looking for a "good RPG" is going to get a mighty backhand to the face.

I understand hospitals and the authorities... but video game retail? Gimme a f*ckin' break.

Rant over. Thanks for reading.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Re: What's the god damn point of celebrating Labor Day if...

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:05 pm

Sorry, but working retail is, as you've now noticed, isn't much better than fast food or any other job located in a mall, grocery store, convenience store, or public safety position. Get the Gamestop folks to join a union like the SEIU and demand days off!

Unemployment doesn't pay as much as you'll need to pay the bills, though.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:22 pm

Country Diner, a UA favorite down on E. Market, had free pancakes for the unemployed last year on Labor Day.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Stu » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:07 am

jfiling wrote:Sorry, but working retail is, as you've now noticed, isn't much better than fast food or any other job located in a mall, grocery store, convenience store, or public safety position. Get the Gamestop folks to join a union like the SEIU and demand days off!

Unemployment doesn't pay as much as you'll need to pay the bills, though.

yep and then they'll have all the days off that they want cuz theyll lose their jobs in the process.

margins are razor thin in retail right now, if not negative. unionization in an industry like that would just drive costs up and companies out of business.
Stu

Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:42 pm

It is easy to just reply "tough crap get a better job" but it isn't always that simple.

Anyway I always try to remember those working on the bigger holidays we celebrate in this country. Those people have mom & dads and sons & daughters to and they do not get to enjoy that time with them.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:50 pm

FUDU wrote:Anyway I always try to remember those working on the bigger holidays we celebrate in this country. Those people have mom & dads and sons & daughters to and they do not get to enjoy that time with them.

I don't mean to sound like a dick. Especially to you, FUDU, since you're a good dude...

But your thoughts and other people's just doesn't cut it. And certainly isn't any consolation.

It's the the little things like this that piss me off the most, not the big stuff.

And what the hell is this about joining a union and losing your job anyway? I remember seeing an episode on The Office about that, but never really thought much of it. What a bunch of bullshit. This country has got us by the balls and the majority doesn't even care. Just as long as they get paid and get to have a cell phone that makes pancakes and rubs their balls.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:15 pm

Bill the Butcher wrote:
FUDU wrote:Anyway I always try to remember those working on the bigger holidays we celebrate in this country. Those people have mom & dads and sons & daughters to and they do not get to enjoy that time with them.

I don't mean to sound like a dick. Especially to you, FUDU, since you're a good dude...

But your thoughts and other people's just doesn't cut it. And certainly isn't any consolation.

It's the the little things like this that piss me off the most, not the big stuff.

And what the hell is this about joining a union and losing your job anyway? I remember seeing an episode on The Office about that, but never really thought much of it. What a bunch of bullshit. This country has got us by the balls and the majority doesn't even care. Just as long as they get paid and get to have a cell phone that makes pancakes and rubs their balls.

I am not going to speak for others, but you have to realize that the better jobs do have better choices and opportunity for time off. Lots of union jobs give days like today off while places like a Walmart or a Game Stop simply do not.

Why a Game Stop would be open today is beyond me, I have never had the urge to play video games on Labor Day let alone going shopping for a new game.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby mswerb » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:53 pm

Most retail stores are going to be open on a day like today, it would be stupid for them not to be. I was glad that Home Depot was open today, but at the same time, bummed that Biagio's was not.
Suck it up.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:36 pm

Working at meaningless jobs on holidays should be illegal in this country. That is all.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:40 pm

Bill the Butcher wrote:Working at meaningless jobs on holidays should be illegal in this country. That is all.

at least you're employed. :hide:

I'm stuck w/out a job, though I may get lucky soon.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Stu » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Bill the Butcher wrote:Working at meaningless jobs on holidays should be illegal in this country. That is all.

First, who's job is meaningless? No job is meaningless, otherwise it wouldn't exist.

Second and more importantly, it should be left up to the employer and the employees whether or not a business decides to open its doors on a certain day. The business is there to serve its customers, and if they feel they can do so on a holiday then you, me, or any government agency shouldn't be telling them what to do.
Stu

Unread postby stonepm » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:49 pm

First, I work with unions all over the country and, yes, they get the day off but 99% don't get paid for that day. So what's the point?

2nd, cut out the "better job" bullshit. Do you know how many times people in those so-called "better jobs" go home in the dark? start before you're even out of bed? work weekends? holidays? take work home? work on my vacation? All for no extra pay? Maybe all these people in these "better jobs" should fight to get off on a random Tuesday like people in retail.

3rd, if you don't like it, open up your own store where you can close on all holidays and see how much money you lose by not being open. when everybody else is shopping cuz they have the day off. Nothing is stopping you.
Anything is possible in the life of a man if he lives long enough. Even adulthood.--Howell Raines
stonepm

Favorite Player: nobody right now
Least Favorite Player: karma

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:09 pm

Stu wrote:

First, who's job is meaningless?

Mine. And so are the thousands of people who read people's palms and tarot cards for a living.

No job is meaningless, otherwise it wouldn't exist.

False.

stonepm wrote:3rd, if you don't like it, open up your own store where you can close on all holidays and see how much money you lose by not being open. when everybody else is shopping cuz they have the day off. Nothing is stopping you.

Which brings me back to what I said about working at meaningless jobs should be illegal. If all other useless businesses were closed, then there wouldn't be any profits to be lost or taken away from a single business in the first place. Tada.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby Stu » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:54 am

Which brings me back to what I said about working at meaningless jobs should be illegal. If all other useless businesses were closed, then there wouldn't be any profits to be lost or taken away from a single business in the first place. Tada.

You're an idiot.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe people go out to do certain things at the spur of the moment, and being open on holidays allows some companies to reap the benefits of that?
Stu

Unread postby stonepm » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:57 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:
stonepm wrote:3rd, if you don't like it, open up your own store where you can close on all holidays and see how much money you lose by not being open. when everybody else is shopping cuz they have the day off. Nothing is stopping you.

You obviously don't understand how business works at all. If a business is not making money, then profit is lost. If every business is closed than every business did not make a profit that day. Let me make this simple, if you, personally, do not work that day (you are closed) you dont' make any money(your profit). And once that day is lost, you can never make up the money you lost.

One more question, who would decide if a job is menaingless?
Anything is possible in the life of a man if he lives long enough. Even adulthood.--Howell Raines
stonepm

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:10 am

Stu wrote:You're an idiot.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe people go out to do certain things at the spur of the moment, and being open on holidays allows some companies to reap the benefits of that?

Thanks. And of course I do. Let me take a step back and re-realize my point with this rant... I'm sick and tired of these "certain things people do at the spur of the moment" having to do with video games. Close all these useless businesses so that Americans do not make themselves dumber (though we may be past the point of no return). Now, somebody (stonepm) asked me who determines a job to be useless, or meaningless was the word, and shit... I don't know, I can't make an exhaustive list. But we can certainly all agree that VIDEO GAMES is one of them. If you don't... then... wow.

stonepm wrote:You obviously don't understand how business works at all. If a business is not making money, then profit is lost. If every business is closed than every business did not make a profit that day. Let me make this simple, if you, personally, do not work that day (you are closed) you dont' make any money(your profit). And once that day is lost, you can never make up the money you lost.

In business, I see expenses and revenue. When I said "all useless businesses should be prohibited from being open on holidays" I also meant that expenses shouldn't be charged for them for that day either; utilities, employee costs, and other bullshit taxes... so nothing is being taken away either. It's like the business is stuck in a stand still and nothing is happening to its capital. That's the way I see it. But whatever.

The point we're arguing here reminds me of that encouraging slogan, we've all heard it before, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." But what people fail to understand is that this slogan is painted with a nice clean coat of pure bullshit. You didn't take a shot, so it doesn't count against you.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby stonepm » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:51 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:
Stu wrote:You're an idiot.

Thanks. And of course I do. Let me take a step back and re-realize my point with this rant... I'm sick and tired of these "certain things people do at the spur of the moment" having to do with video games. Close all these useless businesses so that Americans do not make themselves dumber (though we may be past the point of no return). Now, somebody (stonepm) asked me who determines a job to be useless, or meaningless was the word, and shit... I don't know, I can't make an exhaustive list. But we can certainly all agree that VIDEO GAMES is one of them. If you don't... then... wow.

stonepm wrote:You obviously don't understand how business works at all. If a business is not making money, then profit is lost. If every business is closed than every business did not make a profit that day. Let me make this simple, if you, personally, do not work that day (you are closed) you dont' make any money(your profit). And once that day is lost, you can never make up the money you lost.

In business, I see expenses and revenue. When I said "all useless businesses should be prohibited from being open on holidays" I also meant that expenses shouldn't be charged for them for that day either; utilities, employee costs, and other bullshit taxes... so nothing is being taken away either. It's like the business is stuck in a stand still and nothing is happening to its capital. That's the way I see it. But whatever.

The point we're arguing here reminds me of that encouraging slogan, we've all heard it before, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." But what people fail to understand is that this slogan is painted with a nice clean coat of pure bullshit. You didn't take a shot, so it doesn't count against you.

Read this very slowly...if a business makes a profit of $1000 per day and they are not open for 1 day, then they lost $1000. Even tho they didn't pay any expenses for that day, they still lost $1000 in profit that they would have made had they stayed open.
stonepm

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:17 pm

stonepm wrote:Read this very slowly...if a business makes a profit of $1000 per day and they are not open for 1 day, then they lost $1000. Even tho they didn't pay any expenses for that day, they still lost $1000 in profit that they would have made had they stayed open.

Fair enough, stone. Yes, the business could be $1,000 richer, but for what? All it shows is that the business is a greedy entity (almost all businesses are greedy, which is sad, but that's a different topic). So why not just stay closed, observe a national holiday the correct way, make the employees happy, prevent the American public from becoming dumber (I'm still on the subject of Gamestop), and not lose any real money overall. Win-win-win-win situation. Get our minds off the green for once.

At 7 PM, my store was tho only one left open in the plaza that fits 7, 2 of which in the food business. It boggles my mind that the stores that serve food, essential to the survival of living things, are closed while a store that sells mindless entertainment is left to stay open. Plus, that just left my store as a sitting duck for a robbery. So the company was potentially putting their employees well-being at stake as well.

This was fun.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:36 pm

Bill the Butcher wrote:
stonepm wrote:Read this very slowly...if a business makes a profit of $1000 per day and they are not open for 1 day, then they lost $1000. Even tho they didn't pay any expenses for that day, they still lost $1000 in profit that they would have made had they stayed open.

Fair enough, stone. Yes, the business could be $1,000 richer, but for what? All it shows is that the business is a greedy entity (almost all businesses are greedy, which is sad, but that's a different topic). So why not just stay closed, observe a national holiday the correct way, make the employees happy, prevent the American public from becoming dumber (I'm still on the subject of Gamestop), and not lose any real money overall. Win-win-win-win situation. Get our minds off the green for once.

At 7 PM, my store was tho only one left open in the plaza that fits 7, 2 of which in the food business. It boggles my mind that the stores that serve food, essential to the survival of living things, are closed while a store that sells mindless entertainment is left to stay open. Plus, that just left my store as a sitting duck for a robbery. So the company was potentially putting their employees well-being at stake as well.

This was fun.

Bill, I am sure you are a good guy, but you are being one whiny bastard over labor day. Get over it man. The real world doesnt work like that. I work a M-F 9-5, but guess what. When my bosses say so or when I need to get my work done I am workin until 11 pm and in the next morning at 6:30 or in on saturday and sunday. You dont run the business, they do. You are an employee and for you to whine this much over Labor day is pathetic. Business's are inhierently greedy, they need to make money or else they close and you have no job. Gamestop is a public company therefore others are losing money when Gamestop isnt making money.

Beyond your whining you are showing yourself to be the worst of our generation. Why do you have this sense of entitlement to have Labor Day off? Gamestop obviously finds it worth their while to stay open so they do. They are already paying for rent, benefits for anyone who has them, and many other fixed costs that can be offset by staying open on Labor day. Perhaps with that extra money they make they are able to keep others employed. With almost 10% unemployment I venture to guess there are plenty of people who would gladly take your cruel job from you

Once again I am sure you are good guy, but either you dont understand how the world works or you just dont care. Dude, think about it. Its labor day! Constantly whining about it makes you look like a huge bitch. Go to work, suck it up and enjoy your next random Wednesday off and go golf and enjoy an empty golf course. As someone who can only play on weekends unless I am lucky, consider it a Gamestop perk
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:57 pm

I just find it hilarious that his "meaningless" job is hawking products in a $50 billion a year industry. The economy's in the shitter and the video game industry is expected to have above average growth in the next 5 years. If video games are meaningless, aren't CD's? I mean, you're just sitting there listening, not being productive, right? Let's just get rid of music altogether, there'd be a lot more time in the day for worthwhile stuff.

Also, I've played COD4 with you before, so you're argument is a little hypocritcal since you yourself play video games and I'm guessing that, as a GameStop employee, you get some discout related perks. I'm really just getting the sense you're doing this to play devil's advocate and you didn't really expect your "hating work on a holiday" rant to get this far but it has and you're just running with it.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:08 pm

Yea, I am being a whiny little bitch. I'm fully aware of what I appear to be, lol.

But I'm not just talking about Labor Day, but most of the other holidays as well.

Family Video is open everyday of the year, even very late on Christmas eve and day. To me, that is just utterly ridiculous and in my opinion, we as human beings with lives and families shouldn't lie down and take that up the ass. Who the heck is renting a movie Christmas anyway? Geez oh man.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:13 pm

Bill the Butcher wrote:Who the heck is renting a movie Christmas anyway?

Jews. My jewish friends have a Christmas tradition with their family to get chinese food and either rent movies or go to the theatre.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:19 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:Also, I've played COD4 with you before, so you're argument is a little hypocritcal since you yourself play video games and I'm guessing that, as a GameStop employee, you get some discout related perks. I'm really just getting the sense you're doing this to play devil's advocate and you didn't really expect your "hating work on a holiday" rant to get this far but it has and you're just running with it.

Yea, I work at Gamestop yet I play a total of three games. But if I wasn't an employee, wanted to get a game on Labor Day, got to the store and saw it was closed, I'd say "Hmm, makes sense." Then go do something else much more worth my while.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:02 pm

Just out of curiosity, how was business on Monday?
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:28 pm

jfiling wrote:Just out of curiosity, how was business on Monday?

$2,400 in sales. A busy day.

I realized this point before I began this topic. It's no revelation.

There's no way you guys are going to change your mind on this issue, and there's no way I'll change mine. So I'm just going to leave this as is. It was fun while it lasted.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby Guest » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:31 pm

Yes, if I were a business owner I would also want to close on a busy day and inconvenience the customers who make me cash. Good thinking!

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:40 pm

Yea, I work at Gamestop yet I play a total of three games. But if I wasn't an employee, wanted to get a game on Labor Day, got to the store and saw it was closed, I'd say "Hmm, makes sense." Then go do something else much more worth my while.

But you wouldn't have to do anything else because GameStop would be open. ;-) ;) :wink:

Bill the Butcher wrote:

There's no way you guys are going to change your mind on this issue, and there's no way I'll change mine. So I'm just going to leave this as is. It was fun while it lasted.

I guess we just don't see your "side". Having the government control when businesses can and can't work sounds a lot like fascism to me.

America has already been through this "national" day off. It was called Sunday and I'm guessing (wasn't alive in the early 1900's) almost every business was closed out of respect for the church. That all changed when the businesses figured out that people still need stuff on Sundays and that they can make a pretty penny from it; more in line with the "well we're already paying for rent on those days, might as well use them" that someone else brought up.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:52 pm

Bill the Butcher wrote:

So you expect Gamestop to close 6200 stores on a day with $2400 in sales and forgo that 14,880,000 mil in sales. Remind me not to hire you run my company :thumb up:
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:35 pm

While wrong in just about every aspect here, I think the only hope for a save would be to make more of a macro point. I can see the overall macro quality of life being destroyed by forcing the American worker to work ever longer hours, while being ever more productive, and usually for the same pay. Problem is those people who contributed to the $2,400 in sales are the ones who have to realize its douchey to go to a retail store on Labor Day keeping those people working on a holiday, but since that guy prolly works 60+ hours a week I'm sure he cares less, and the place he works for is already on razor thin margins so they don't care either... WOOT

I worked in retail once, I know how you are thinking... I thought the same about people who would buy furniture on Sundays. Keeping us open while the Browns were playing...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:38 pm

We need a combo of the French and German systems. 35 hours per week, maximum (only letting people work less hours creates jobs, ya know), and nobody except businesses in tourist areas can be open on Saturdays (wouldn't that make Saturday shopping pleasant).
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby Stu » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:50 pm

Ziner wrote:
Bill the Butcher wrote:

So you expect Gamestop to close 6200 stores on a day with $2400 in sales and forgo that 14,880,000 mil in sales. Remind me not to hire you run my company :thumb up:

run the company? shoot with his attitude I wouldnt want him anywhere near my company, not even in a "meaningless" job.
Stu

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:57 pm

When else am I supposed to go shopping? Before I go to work at 7 am, or after I get home after 6 pm? Remember, I need to eat dinner and do everything else around the house, plus have some leisure time, in that 6 pm to 10 pm window.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Return to No Holds Barred