Text Size

No Holds Barred

Then why are you giving it to me?

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Then why are you giving it to me?

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:41 pm

4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Re: Then why are you giving it to me?

Unread postby BDFD » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:00 pm

Lol, yes. That is rich. Man, I remember when I was a kid it was only a penny that would save a child's life (and they would send you a shiny new penny).
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:03 pm

We should get rid of pennies. It's pointless, everyone does the same move when leaving a store with pennies as change. You take them and toss them across the parking lot.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:48 pm

A nickle a day can feed a hungry child. If 2 out of every 30 people they send that appeal to sign up, they have fed more hungry children each month than it cost to send that nickle.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby RC » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:48 am

Usually if there is some sort of charity cup at whatever store/fast food joint I usually just stick the pennies in there.

Otherwise I have a piggy bank I stick my change in and every six months I go to one of those coinstar machines and get a gift card or something.

Oh and my dad is obsessed with collecting those state quarters so I usually give him those.
RC
Keepin' The Faith In Y-Town

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Chris Grant

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:44 am

jfiling wrote:A nickle a day can feed a hungry child. If 2 out of every 30 people they send that appeal to sign up, they have fed more hungry children each month than it cost to send that nickle.

Yeah, but if they only get 1 out of every 15 to sign up all the children die of starvation. ;-) ;) :wink:

I agree get rid of pennies. Only the government would spend more money making something than it is actually worth.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby stonepm » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:27 pm

You do realize you put a picture with your address on an internet message board don't you?
Anything is possible in the life of a man if he lives long enough. Even adulthood.--Howell Raines
stonepm

Favorite Player: nobody right now
Least Favorite Player: karma

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:43 pm

stonepm wrote:You do realize you put a picture with your address on an internet message board don't you?

I didn't know Bill lived in Canada. :hide:
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby swerb » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:09 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:We should get rid of pennies. It's pointless, everyone does the same move when leaving a store with pennies as change. You take them and toss them across the parking lot.

60 Minutes did a very interesting piece a year or two ago about getting rid of the penny and the benefits and ramifications. Most expensive coin for the Mint to make IIRC.

Im witchu. Time to stop making em.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:09 am

Swerb wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:We should get rid of pennies. It's pointless, everyone does the same move when leaving a store with pennies as change. You take them and toss them across the parking lot.

60 Minutes did a very interesting piece a year or two ago about getting rid of the penny and the benefits and ramifications. Most expensive coin for the Mint to make IIRC.

I agree with both of you, but it will NEVER happen. Only way pennies stop being made is when the market place stops pricing so many things with 99 cents, or even just using a 9 in the tens digit for a price.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby stonepm » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:30 am

FUDU wrote:
Swerb wrote:

I agree with both of you, but it will NEVER happen. Only way pennies stop being made is when the market place stops pricing so many things with 99 cents, or even just using a 9 in the tens digit for a price.

It would never work because sales tax is a percentage. Do you really want them to round up to the next nickle for everything you buy?

eg: if something is $50.35 and the tax is 7.5%, that's $3.78 in tax. It's not as much the amount, it's what happens to that other $.03? Do you keep it, the store keep it or does it go to the gov?
Anything is possible in the life of a man if he lives long enough. Even adulthood.--Howell Raines
stonepm

Favorite Player: nobody right now
Least Favorite Player: karma

Unread postby The Score » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:04 pm

jfiling wrote:A nickle a day can feed a hungry child. If 2 out of every 30 people they send that appeal to sign up, they have fed more hungry children each month than it cost to send that nickle.

Maybe, but instead of sending a free day to 1000 people, they could feed 3 kids for a year and probably still get 2 saps out of 30 to donate.

Let's not even get started on the money they waste on stamps...
The Score

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:18 pm

stonepm wrote:
FUDU wrote:
Swerb wrote:

It would never work because sales tax is a percentage. Do you really want them to round up to the next nickle for everything you buy?

eg: if something is $50.35 and the tax is 7.5%, that's $3.78 in tax. It's not as much the amount, it's what happens to that other $.03? Do you keep it, the store keep it or does it go to the gov?

The can round down.

The we can take all the pennies in the country, melt them down and make 1 giant penny that will destroy us all.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:21 pm

It costs two cents to make a penny. True fact. That's how much sense the penny makes.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:38 pm

wiz1001 wrote:It costs two cents to make a penny. True fact. That's how much sense the penny makes.

Now that's American effciency at it's best. I bet if we outsourced it to China they could make the penny for 1/4th of 1 cent. :bag:
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Return to No Holds Barred