Text Size

No Holds Barred

My HS Alma Mater is getting sued

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

My HS Alma Mater is getting sued

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:44 am

The Freedom From Religion Foundation wants Lake Local Schools to change its values.

The school district’s mission statement includes the phrase “we value” followed by a list that includes “belief in God and religious freedom.” The statement is on the front page of a newsletter mailed to Lake Local residents this month.

Annie Laurie Gaylor, Freedom From Religion Foundation co-president, called the statement “shocking” and “one of the most egregious” violations she has seen of the Constitution’s language separating church and state.

“They’re saying they don’t value you unless you believe in a god,” Gaylor said. The statement vilifies nonbelievers, she contends.

The foundation, based in Madison, Wis., wants the phrase “belief in God” removed from any of the district’s publications or Web postings. A letter to Superintendent Jeff Wendorf and Board of Education President Ken Brott ended with “we do need your assurances that your district will take immediate action to end this violation.”

Wendorf said Thursday that school officials and their lawyers are investigating the complaint.

Officials want “to make sure that we’re appropriate in our interpretation of the First Amendment,” Wendorf said.

The phrase has been part of Lake Local’s mission statement for many years, he said.

Freedom From Religion Foundation members haven’t filed any legal action against the district.

Gaylor said filing a lawsuit would have to be the foundation’s last option after exhausting requests for the district to stop using the phrase. If a lawsuit is filed, the foundation would need a plaintiff with children in the district to participate in the action.

The foundation learned about the mission statement after receiving two e-mails from residents. Gaylor said the people fear reprisal and want to remain anonymous.

Gaylor doesn’t believe the foundation will need to go to court. She expects the district will quickly drop the “believe in God” phrase.

“You can’t pray in the school, so how can you talk about believing in God in your school promotions?” Gaylor said.

It’s not the Freedom From Religion Foundation’s first foray into Stark County. Last December the organization paid for a billboard message — “Imagine No Religion” — on 12th Street NW just west of Market Avenue N.

LAKE’S STATEMENT

The mission statement posted by Lake Local Schools is broken into several segments. Here is the first portion of the statement.

Mission: Providing education to achieve success.

Vision: To be the best organization for learning.

We Value: Responsibility, honesty, respect, integrity, commitment, belief in God and religious freedom, our community, our partnerships, and every person as a unique individual with the ability to acquire and apply knowledge.

Freedom From Religion Foundation, based in Madison, Wis., has complained to Lake Local officials about using “belief in God.” The foundation has demanded the district stop using the phrase as a violation of the First Amendment.
Loading commenting interface...
Comments (181)

http://www.cantonrep.com/communities/ha ... ief-in-God

You know..about..98% of that school's faculty and staff goes to church, the other 2% that are not religious don't care. What's the issue?

What's the problem here? they never made us go to church or anything of that nature, and never pushed religion on us what-so-ever. There has been little harm ever done or any offense taken from what I've seen.

And what "God" do they define? It could be Allah, Yahweh, or any number of Gods. This is facism, plain and simple. If you're that offended because someone shares a different view point then yours that's what it is. Grow a set of balls and deal with the real world.
Last edited by Triple-S on Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: My HS Alma Mater is getting sued

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:57 pm

I just saw this at Ohio.com, but it was a much shorter article, so thanks for posting it.

Oh, and Hoover would never do something so goofy as Lake is doing.

I wonder if this is a new addition to the Lake mission statement? Maybe they are trying to please all the Mennonites in Hartville. Still, the 1st Amendment plus the 14th makes this a slam-dunk case for the atheists, just like it has been just about everywhere else this type of situation has played out.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Guest » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:09 pm

Amazing that schools still just don't get it. More tax money wasted defending illegal practices.

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:26 pm

jfiling wrote:I just saw this at Ohio.com, but it was a much shorter article, so thanks for posting it.

I wonder if this is a new addition to the Lake mission statement? Maybe they are trying to please all the Mennonites in Hartville. Still, the 1st Amendment plus the 14th makes this a slam-dunk case for the atheists, just like it has been just about everywhere else this type of situation has played out.

That's because "Nothing Sucks like a Hoover"*

*I smashed a few pumpkinheads in my day. ;).

It's a waste of time.

What are the atheists trying to accomplish here? No One's rights are being trampled here, and it's not like you're magically going to make an ultra-christian area like the district that is Uniontown Lake, suddenly not believe in God.

I would understand moreso if my old HS was making people take Bible Classes or something of that nature., but this is not the case.

And when the constitution was written it had nothing to do with this matter. It had everything in the world to do with people paying Taxes and it going to churches.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:45 pm

Triple-S wrote:And when the constitution was written it had nothing to do with this matter. It had everything in the world to do with people paying Taxes and it going to churches.

I know, that's why I added the 14th amendment. When the 1st amendment was written it applied only the the federal government. When the 14th was passed, all protections of the Constitution (with the curious exception of the 2nd amendment) were incorporated, i.e. they applied to the states. Restrictions on the states apply to any community chartered by the state (like a school district), and every time some public school has tried Godifying (my new word) they have been slapped down by the courts. It's just the way it is.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:57 pm

Triple-S wrote:
jfiling wrote:I just saw this at Ohio.com, but it was a much shorter article, so thanks for posting it.

It's a waste of time.

What are the atheists trying to accomplish here? No One's rights are being trampled here, and it's not like you're magically going to make an ultra-christian area like the district that is Uniontown Lake, suddenly not believe in God.

I would understand moreso if my old HS was making people take Bible Classes or something of that nature., but this is not the case.

And when the constitution was written it had nothing to do with this matter. It had everything in the world to do with people paying Taxes and it going to churches.

They aren't trying to make anyone not believe in God. They are trying to send their kids to a school that does not include belief in God in its value system. That said, who cares? As long as the school is not indoctrinating people? Of course, why does the school even care? Just take it out and avoid the lawsuit.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:08 pm

aoxo1 wrote:They aren't trying to make anyone not believe in God. They are trying to send their kids to a school that does not include belief in God in its value system. That said, who cares? As long as the school is not indoctrinating people? Of course, why does the school even care? Just take it out and avoid the lawsuit.

The thing is, this lawsuit was brought on by someone who doesn't have a kid going to this school. In fact they stated they're looking to find someone from Lake who'd be willing to be a plaintiff against the school.

Good luck with that, 98% of the people in the school are christian, 2% just sort of shrug it off. And the person that likely decides to stand up will be harassed like mad because of it.

Triple-S

Unread postby Guest » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:41 pm

If those at the school would harass someone for trying to uphold the law then the school is full of hypocrites who don't understand what "God" even means.

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:47 pm

Triple-S wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:They aren't trying to make anyone not believe in God. They are trying to send their kids to a school that does not include belief in God in its value system. That said, who cares? As long as the school is not indoctrinating people? Of course, why does the school even care? Just take it out and avoid the lawsuit.

The thing is, this lawsuit was brought on by someone who doesn't have a kid going to this school. In fact they stated they're looking to find someone from Lake who'd be willing to be a plaintiff against the school.

Good luck with that, 98% of the people in the school are christian, 2% just sort of shrug it off. And the person that likely decides to stand up will be harassed like mad because of it.

Lol you casually throw around the word fascism and then just kind of toss out that last statement.

People in the US have no idea what fascism is.
aoxo1

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:48 pm

aoxo1 wrote:
Triple-S wrote:

Lol you casually throw around the word fascism and then just kind of toss out that last statement.

That's funny, the left seems to think we've been living under it for the majority of the past 8 years.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:54 pm

FUDU wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:
Triple-S wrote:

That's funny, the left seems to think we've been living under it for the majority of the past 8 years.

I'd say the right has shown that it takes a backseat to no one when it comes to this kind of idiocy.

But yeah, those on either side who are quick to throw out words like fascist just make me roll my eyes. Of course, it also makes me thankful that we live in a time and place that stupid things can be labeled as fascist, rather than, you know, having a bunch of Nazis running things. Maybe the ignorance is a blessing?
aoxo1

Unread postby Spin » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:05 pm

Some idiots just don't know the first thing of what "separation of church and state" even means.

Just people looking for things to get pissed off about and start trouble.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:10 pm

Triple-S wrote:Good luck with that, 98% of the people in the school are christian, 2% just sort of shrug it off. And the person that likely decides to stand up will be harassed like mad because of it.

I ignored that stat the first time you said it, but now I can't. If I'm not mistaken, Lake Local is still at least 98% white. I know you say the 2% shrug it off, but you have no idea if they are lazy, just don't care to make an issue of it, or what. I do know that it probably bothers them like a canker sore. If Lake Local added to their mission statement their belief in the supremacy of the white race, would it only be those damn uppity blacks, looking to cause trouble, who objected?

I think that you are committing a logical fallacy in your arguments, which is basically <a href="http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-popularity.html">argument from popularity</a>. Just because the Catholics and Mennonites in Uniontown and Hartville think the same way doesn't mean that there are not others who want to send their kids to school without risking harassment if it becomes known that they are atheists. I know both towns, and it will happen if the school board endorses such a stance.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:12 pm

Spin wrote:Some idiots just don't know the first thing of what "separation of church and state" even means.

I already answered that above, and there isn't a court outside of the deep south that will agree with your definition. Sorry.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:33 pm

The same people that talk until they're blue in the face about "tolerance" and "diversity" will crush like an eggshell any belief system that they don't believe in.

This isn't about the Constitution. This isn't about separation of church and state. This is bullying by hypocrites that want their way on everything and will brook no opposition whatsoever.

Fuck them.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:30 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:The same people that talk until they're blue in the face about "tolerance" and "diversity" will crush like an eggshell any belief system that they don't believe in.

This isn't about the Constitution. This isn't about separation of church and state. This is bullying by hypocrites that want their way on everything and will brook no opposition whatsoever.

Fuck them.

It's only oppression if you're in the minority.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:34 pm

jfiling wrote:It's only oppression if you're in the minority.

Excellent point.

Sincerely,

South African blacks, 1948-94.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:58 pm

No one is being oppressed here if the school removes this statement from their values. It's not like anyone is forcing them to put in "We value... non-belief."
aoxo1

Unread postby Spin » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:28 pm

I already answered that above, and there isn't a court outside of the deep south that will agree with your definition. Sorry.

So we'll change the meaning of our founding documents to suit our needs.

What if I said I hate guys with wigs. That makes me a minority. So, you obviously have to listen to me now. Let's strike every picture and every mention of George Washington out of our history books. Our modern society has no need for him now anyway. I demand they take his picture down.

Fuck what the country was founded on. We have to suit the minority. Minority rules in democracy, right? (lek?)
Spin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:39 pm

aoxo1 wrote:
FUDU wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:
Triple-S wrote:

I'd say the right has shown that it takes a backseat to no one when it comes to this kind of idiocy.

But yeah, those on either side who are quick to throw out words like fascist just make me roll my eyes. Of course, it also makes me thankful that we live in a time and place that stupid things can be labeled as fascist, rather than, you know, having a bunch of Nazis running things. Maybe the ignorance is a blessing?

Some people believe that we would be better off under fascist control.... ;-)
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:40 pm

Spin wrote:

So we'll change the meaning of our founding documents to suit our needs.

What if I said I hate guys with wigs. That makes me a minority. So, you obviously have to listen to me now. Let's strike every picture and every mention of George Washington out of our history books. Our modern society has no need for him now anyway. I demand they take his picture down.

Fuck what the country was founded on. We have to suit the minority. Minority rules in democracy, right? (lek?)

Why not? People want to control, what you say in your posts.

A forum is for EXPRESSION. If you can't express, why come back?

BTW avatars are great for finding your last post, so you can pick a thread back up later.

-Spin
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:45 pm

I think some schools in Texas got it right, they teach the bible as an elective. If you want to learn about it, you have the choice, if you don't, then don't take the course. But if teachers at those schools decide to offer the Koran, Torah, or even the Satanic Bible as an elective, Christians cannot bitch.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Spin » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:53 pm

huh?
Last edited by Spin on Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:55 pm

Someone has to answer for the poor performance of the homegrown talent, and for the utter lack of fundamentals on the major league team.

How do you explain a AA team that goes to the league championship almost every year, while the major league team gets NO support from it's own farm system? Sure prospects from other teams pan out, like a LaPorta. But what happens to this talent that can win at the AA level and not make it in the show?

Who is responsible for developing these guys into major leaguers? There's obviously talent there, just nobody to take them to the last step.

-Spin
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Spin » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:00 pm

Just WTF is your problem?

I think you're on the wrong thread, dude.
Spin

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:12 pm

He's jacking with you.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Spin » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:15 pm

I had my suspicions, but you never know with some people.

:bag:
Spin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:37 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:He's jacking with you.

Can't I have any fun?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:49 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:He's jacking with you.

Can't I have any fun?

Absolutely. You can have all the fun you want.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:01 pm

Triple-S wrote:

It's a waste of time.

Ur my boy, but what about seperastion of church and state is confusing here?

Lake Christian does this, fine.

Lake public schools? Forgettabout it.

The government wouldn't touch Lake Christian. THAT would be fascient.

Like the other poster said, your tax dollars wasted because the school board can't focus on its job and fucks around on a social statement.

BTW - go back and reread. Nothing to do with taxes buddy. Congress shall make no law establishing a religion.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:41 pm

JB wrote:Ur my boy, but what about seperastion of church and state is confusing here?

Lake Christian does this, fine.

Lake public schools? Forgettabout it.

The government wouldn't touch Lake Christian. THAT would be fascient.

Like the other poster said, your tax dollars wasted because the school board can't focus on its job and fucks around on a social statement.

BTW - go back and reread. Nothing to do with taxes buddy. Congress shall make no law establishing a religion.

Necroposting?

OT: I went to Lake Center back in the day btw, as did Marilyn Manson. Not that we have much in common other than that. Though I can see why he turned out the way he did, the folks there were ultra-strict and would get offended at anything the least bit secular.

My tax dollars are being wasted regardless, why should this be any different than before?

Triple-S

Return to No Holds Barred