Text Size

No Holds Barred

Ohio State Taxes....

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Ohio State Taxes....

Unread postby furls » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:25 pm

are freakin ridiculous.

I recently moved from Columbus to Charleston and while I was filing my returns for this year I calculated how my state return would have come out had I been an SC resident this year. I was doing this to decide if it was worth changing my home of record (thereby changing my state for tax purposes). A home of record change alters what state my income is taxed against. The entire time I have been in the military I have used Euclid OH, as my H.o.R.

What a mistake, all these years, i have been paying Ohio's insane tax rates even though I havent lived there. This year I made 55k in taxable income and 15k in nontaxable income and had 1200.00 withheld (my wife is a stay at home so we get 0 joint filing credit). This left me with about a 150.00 tax bill when it was all said and done. Had I been a resident of SC with the same withholding and income that 150.00 bill would have been a 650.00 refund, that is a tax difference of about 800.00 or a 200% increase from SC to OH.

So this got me to thinking, where is the difference coming from? In most states with lower tax rates you pay higher sales tax and the tax rates are somewhat higher in Berkeley county SC (8.5% vs. 7% in Ohio), but that still does not quite account for the difference.

After this revelation, I compared Ohio's tax rate against a few other states and Ohio was SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive. Needless to say, I will be changing my home of record... immediately. You guys are getting screwed.

Boy, I hope I can end up in Washington (state). 0% there (Texas and FL also enjoy that tax rate).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:45 pm

Thanks Furls!!! :thumright:
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby swerb » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:19 pm

Third highest overall tax burden in the 50 states ...

http://www.buckeyeinstitute.org/article/682
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby furls » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:23 am

Just got a sweet deal.

Ohio changed its tax code last year so that active duty military residents stationed outside of Ohio no longer have to pay state income tax to Ohio. Thank god. Filing a tax return for a state that you don't live in and seeing how much money you are contributing for roads that you don't drive on and schools that your kids don't attend is pretty frustrating.

States raise their revenues in different ways and I was kind of getting the worst of all worlds here in SC. I was paying Ohio's ridiculous state income tax and South Carolina's ridiculous sales tax. Now, I am just being taxed like a normal person not a dual resident. THis will save me a couple of hundred bucks a month. Thanks Ohio for finally making it fair.

Since I already filed before I found out about the change in tax code I have to file a 1040X to get my money from 2007 back, but I will do so happily.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:05 pm

Nice to see you are not going to take it in the ass in the end Furls.

The next revision in the tax code needs to address people that live in Ohio but actually receive no benefit from doing so, make things so these people (aka me) simply don't have to pay the tax, you know for something we don't get.

It has become beyond ridiculous, and the city of Cleveland it right there with em. I get hit pretty hard living in Cleveland but working outside of Cleveland.

It's like Cleveland is sending the message "If you live here in the shit hole yet spend any of YOUR time outside of it for whatever purpose we're going to make you pay for not suffering completely like the other residents of this shit hole".

I doubt there is a worse city that is located in a worse state in regards to taxes.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:28 pm

FUDU wrote:Nice to see you are not going to take it in the ass in the end Furls.

The next revision in the tax code needs to address people that live in Ohio but actually receive no benefit from doing so, make things so these people (aka me) simply don't have to pay the tax, you know for something we don't get.

It has become beyond ridiculous, and the city of Cleveland it right there with em. I get hit pretty hard living in Cleveland but working outside of Cleveland.

It's like Cleveland is sending the message "If you live here in the shit hole yet spend any of YOUR time outside of it for whatever purpose we're going to make you pay for not suffering completely like the other residents of this shit hole".

I doubt there is a worse city that is located in a worse state in regards to taxes.

Check out there next door neighbor, Euclid.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:36 pm

I know full well about Euclid in regards to this topic, funny you mention it.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Return to No Holds Barred