Text Size

No Holds Barred

Cleveland residency law official.

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Cleveland residency law official.

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:10 pm

No more requirement to live inside city limits if you're a cop or fireman (even other city workers IIRC). No legit detailed link right now.

This could be interesting in the next 3-8 years in this city.

I have a good number of close contacts in both police and fire (a couple very close friends) and they are about 50/50 in their opinions of how this will impact the city of Cleveland. Their are claims that enough police/fire live outside the city (illegally already) that it won't do much to fast track Cleveland apparent desire to be Detroit.

The far west side of the city, often considered the last bastion of hope, has a very large police and fire demographic so it is possible the neighborhood could be effected more so than others.

Time will tell.

Discuss.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Cleveland residency law official.

Unread postby southernflyer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:52 pm

I wonder what West Park will look like with a few more for sale signs going up? My brother living by the airport has a firefighter or cop on every block, making it a real nice area.

It could help the outer ring suburbs a bit temporarily. I guess they'll have to be more like Lakewood cops were when I lived there to keep the area up to historical standards.
southernflyer

Favorite Player: Face from the A Team
Least Favorite Player: David Delucci

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:19 am

southernflyer wrote:I wonder what West Park will look like with a few more for sale signs going up? My brother living by the airport has a firefighter or cop on every block, making it a real nice area.

It could help the outer ring suburbs a bit temporarily. I guess they'll have to be more like Lakewood cops were when I lived there to keep the area up to historical standards.

Talked to a few firemen last night the seemingly general outlook right now for the West Park area (which houses a couple hundred police at least) is that for the immediate short term (1-3 years) this will have no effect. Let's remember in order to move out you have to sell your current place, very few homes are selling right now and if one is entrenched here now, doing well with a kid in school, they at least have a stable nice neighborhood to live in for the meantime.

It is 3 years and beyond when things could get shaken up a little around here if the housing market swings back to the other side of the pendulum. Also something to remember while WP has a lot of those police and fire it also house way more people who do not work for the city, I think that often gets overlooked around here. If those people have no requirement to live here, do well and have families, then there is no reason to think all of a sudden they would up and leave just b/c of this ruling.

One point of concern is rentals in WP. WP has a good number of rentals and a surprising % of them are section 8. If things were to get a bit worse around here with let's say a mini white flight v.2 the section 8 % could significantly increase over night.

Time will obviously tell but I think it is something to keep an eye in as a the next handful of years goes by.

FUDU

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:11 pm

FUDU wrote:
southernflyer wrote:I wonder what West Park will look like with a few more for sale signs going up? My brother living by the airport has a firefighter or cop on every block, making it a real nice area.

Talked to a few firemen last night the seemingly general outlook right now for the West Park area (which houses a couple hundred police at least) is that for the immediate short term (1-3 years) this will have no effect. Let's remember in order to move out you have to sell your current place, very few homes are selling right now and if one is entrenched here now, doing well with a kid in school, they at least have a stable nice neighborhood to live in for the meantime.

It is 3 years and beyond when things could get shaken up a little around here if the housing market swings back to the other side of the pendulum. Also something to remember while WP has a lot of those police and fire it also house way more people who do not work for the city, I think that often gets overlooked around here. If those people have no requirement to live here, do well and have families, then there is no reason to think all of a sudden they would up and leave just b/c of this ruling.

One point of concern is rentals in WP. WP has a good number of rentals and a surprising % of them are section 8. If things were to get a bit worse around here with let's say a mini white flight v.2 the section 8 % could significantly increase over night.

Time will obviously tell but I think it is something to keep an eye in as a the next handful of years goes by.

The Section 8 problem has also occured in the South Hills area of Old Brooklyn. This area is also a hotspot for firemen and police officers, and would mirror any decline in West Park. The residents in Old Brooklyn have even started a group to combat the decline of the neighborhood. http://www.oldbrooklyn.com/

Not sure if this is the same org as residents of the South Hills area started. I grew up in that neighborhood, and moved to Middleburg Heights when my parents with 4 kids in Catholic schools decided they just couldn't afford it anymore. Now I am looking to move back into the old 'hood, and have to confront the very likely possibility I will be moving into a declining area.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:26 pm

The Section 8 problem has also occured in the South Hills area of Old Brooklyn. This area is also a hotspot for firemen and police officers, and would mirror any decline in West Park. The residents in Old Brooklyn have even started a group to combat the decline of the neighborhood. http://www.oldbrooklyn.com/

Not sure if this is the same org as residents of the South Hills area started. I grew up in that neighborhood, and moved to Middleburg Heights when my parents with 4 kids in Catholic schools decided they just couldn't afford it anymore. Now I am looking to move back into the old 'hood, and have to confront the very likely possibility I will be moving into a declining area.

My thoughts would be to be cautious on rushing into anything right now. If you find and unbelievable deal to good to pass on then go for it, otherwise patience might be the best course of action.

It is a different scenario for singles without children but for people with kids the disappointing reality that there are only two decent public schools over here is a real problem. Even though I spent 12 years in Catholic education I couldn't blame the staunchest of Catholics for not wanting to pay the tuition's now a days.

FUDU

Unread postby Spin » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:06 pm

It's a few years too late for me. I turned down a couple city jobs because my kids were going nowhere NEAR those schools...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Naxos » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:02 pm

I always wonder if I'll be able to move back to my home town. I haven't lived there since 1991. Parents finally moved to Florida in 2006. Storys like this make that thought mostly moot.
Naxos

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: DA

Unread postby View from 171 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:31 pm

This is a good thing. I work for the City of Cleveland and live in West Park. Although I will not be moving any time soon it does give me options for the future.

Everyone keeps saying that "you knew you had to live there when you started", etc. etc. But what most people fail to recognize is that things change. When I first started with the City I was single. Now I'm married with an infant at home.

Another result of this new rule is the potential increase in the number of people who will now be willing to work for the the City. You wonder why the services provided are so bad....look at the potential applicant pool! In my job I deal some hiring/firing....every time I posted a job I saw the same 4-5 applicants.
When everyone else is greedy, be cautious. When everyone is cautious, be greedy - Warren Buffett
View from 171

Favorite Player: Joe Carter
Least Favorite Player: Pappelboner

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:59 pm

View from 171 wrote:This is a good thing. I work for the City of Cleveland and live in West Park. Although I will not be moving any time soon it does give me options for the future.

Everyone keeps saying that "you knew you had to live there when you started", etc. etc. But what most people fail to recognize is that things change. When I first started with the City I was single. Now I'm married with an infant at home.

Another result of this new rule is the potential increase in the number of people who will now be willing to work for the the City. You wonder why the services provided are so bad....look at the potential applicant pool! In my job I deal some hiring/firing....every time I posted a job I saw the same 4-5 applicants.

That is a good point about the increased amount of interest Cleveland City jobs might get. But what makes a city or a neighborhood is the people that live there not the people that just drive there, punch in punch out and drive out of the city to go to their homes somewhere else.

FUDU

Unread postby View from 171 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:16 am

FUDU - - Understand, but those people coming from the suburbs will not only provide a new "talent pool" but will be spending money downtown to eat, hang out after work, etc. Thereby putting money into downtown that wasn't there before.

And hopefully after they start working downtown, they will eventually move closer to the City. From experience, I know that driving 45min-1hr to work every day gets old fast. Hell, it only takes me 15 minutes to get to work everyday.
When everyone else is greedy, be cautious. When everyone is cautious, be greedy - Warren Buffett
View from 171

Favorite Player: Joe Carter
Least Favorite Player: Pappelboner

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:57 pm

Orenthal wrote:The Section 8 problem has also occured in the South Hills area of Old Brooklyn. This area is also a hotspot for firemen and police officers, and would mirror any decline in West Park. The residents in Old Brooklyn have even started a group to combat the decline of the neighborhood. http://www.oldbrooklyn.com/

I currently live in that same area. If you stay toward the Brooklyn Hts side of 176, you're in pretty decent shape still. A lot of elderly and still some of the police/fire/EMS. My neighbor is CPD, two houses down is CFD, and a few more cops go in and out of the neighborhood. For now, we're doing alright over here. A couple of foreclosures, but they seem to have been bought by decent people.

On the other hand, where my nephew lives, on the other side of Spring going toward Broadview, it's starting to go downhill. The areas off W 11th are ok, still, same with South Hills/Broadale. But, there's a lot of low income housing and minorities not taking care of their property down by Plymouth/Harmody Park. White trash seems to be the biggest problem at this point.

Our neighborhood is one of the few decent ones remaining in the Cleveland city limits. I'll be out of here by the time it gets really bad, but I definitely think that the residency law is going to start wreaking havoc. These city employees will just be looking to get bottom dollar out of their homes so they can get into a decent school district. And I completely understand it. I would too. My neighbors, at one time, were looking to move out to Kirtland. They've got a young daughter, so schooling is an issue. Their oldest goes to school in West Park. There's the option to send them to Cuyahoga Hts. High School, but that costs $5500-6000 a year.

Cleveland's really in trouble, and this just furthers the process.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:04 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:On the other hand, where my nephew lives, on the other side of Spring going toward Broadview, it's starting to go downhill. The areas off W 11th are ok, still, same with South Hills/Broadale. But, there's a lot of low income housing and minorities not taking care of their property down by Plymouth/Harmody Park. White trash seems to be the biggest problem at this point.

Those areas were getting to that point when I moved out 10+ years ago. I remember getting into a couple fights, and having my bike stolen in that area. Problem is the crime there is getting worse, and the petty stuff moving into the South Hills/Cypress/Dornur area. Not to mention the fact people are not caring for their house/section 8 sheet.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:14 pm

Another thing that ties into this is the amount of people, working people like police and fire, that are in foreclosure and just letting the process happen (also letting their property go to shit in the process) so they can move out.

You'd be surprised at how many working policeman and fireman are doing this.

Dumb and despicable.

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:57 pm

Interesting to note that the far west side of Cleveland is not looking like it will be affected by this right now or possibly down the road all that much. Far west side is populated with a great deal of policemen and firemen and throughout this whole year (despite the housing market troubles) the homes in the more desirable neighborhoods are not going cheap what so ever. Many if not most of them are going for what they were going for in 2005-2006 when the market was very healthy.

People are still willing to pay a premium around here to live in specific neighborhoods. We're talking high 100's to low 200's for 30-50 year old homes.

The immediate rush to leave by a few of these city workers seems to have come and gone quickly.

FUDU

Unread postby Spin » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:23 pm

I wonder why they only advertised the most recent police entrance exam on the west side? :pale:
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Return to No Holds Barred