Text Size

No Holds Barred

Favorite U.S. Cities

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Re: Favorite U.S. Cities

Unread postby Ziner » Tue May 24, 2011 3:47 pm

StewieG wrote:Favorites:

Fort Collins, CO - Beautiful city, with a fun college atmosphere. Everything you could want is within an hour or two's drive...Denver, mountains, skiing...all right there. It reminds me of a midwest town that got up and moved near the mountains. I'd love to live there someday.

1. Boulder is 5 times the city Ft. Collins is it is much more scenic and has a better college atmosphere. You should go check it out because if you like Ft. Collins, you will love Boulder. And with Boulder you are closer to Denver, the mountains and skiing. However, you do have to ignore the homeless, hippies, and self righteous liberals with ski racks on their prius. If that bothers you just stick with Ft. Collins ;-) ;) :wink:

2. If you are going to talk up Ft. Collins please include the fantastic breweries housed there. Odells, New Belgium, Fort Collins, Coopersmith and the fact that you can check out a bike at the bike library and ride to each of them.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby StewieG » Tue May 24, 2011 6:36 pm

Ziner wrote:1. Boulder is 5 times the city Ft. Collins is it is much more scenic and has a better college atmosphere. You should go check it out because if you like Ft. Collins, you will love Boulder. And with Boulder you are closer to Denver, the mountains and skiing. However, you do have to ignore the homeless, hippies, and self righteous liberals with ski racks on their prius. If that bothers you just stick with Ft. Collins ;-) ;) :wink:

2. If you are going to talk up Ft. Collins please include the fantastic breweries housed there. Odells, New Belgium, Fort Collins, Coopersmith and the fact that you can check out a bike at the bike library and ride to each of them.

Lol, I like Boulder, but there are too many hippies there for me. Love Coopersmith (ate dinner at the brewery there one night), and I can't get enough Fat Tire. Haven't tried Odells or Fort Collins yet. I heard about the bike library, but never got a chance to use it. Next time I'm there I'll check it out (ha! get it?).

Driving around with all the bike lanes to watch out for does take some getting used to though. Not that I'm complaining, because their bike-friendliness is one of the major draws for me.

Ever been to Loveland? Seems like a nice town, but I've only passed by. Can you smell Greeley from there? I got a nice whiff of it coming down 76 when I drove out there.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue May 24, 2011 7:10 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
HermanFontenot wrote:Washington DC- Everything outside the Government area seems to be a slum, and it's absolutely miserable there in the summer. I went there in June of 1998 for the Tibet Freedom Concert at RFK and was sweating buckets the entire time. You couldn't pay me to live there.

When is the last time you were actually in DC? The gov't area is nice, the NW is gorgeous and just full of partying 20 somethings with good jobs or urban 30 somethings and the SW is nice. The NE still has some legit issues but the SE has a lot of promise with the new stadium development. DC is the text book example of urban renewal done right and has had one of the fastest growing economies in the country for most of this decade. Today it is bustling, clean, has fantastic public transportation and is full or young professionals and gov't peeps.

If you want to see awesome DC hang in NW around Georgetown and Dupont Circle.

And RFK was barely even in DC. It was way out on the east side next to some real crappy areas.

Not going to argue about the heat though. I had an internship in school right on the inner-harbor in B-more one summer. Every-time I left the building it felt like I was walking into a sauna.

Meaning ^^^^^^ ?

>>>>> e0 would live in Georgetown if he could afford it...

The only place with worse traffic and street design than Boston is DC

Its a great place.... TO VISIT!

Esp if you want to know where your tax dollars are going and why Fairfax County is among the richest and fastest growing in the USA

When you get home, the sickness of seeing what your tax dollars are paying for AND the environment they are creating will transcend any pleasure you may have gained from the visit

You need to be fluent in 13 different, torturous accents of the English language

You can book that as sure as the Cowboys -17 over the Bills
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby olecowboy » Fri May 27, 2011 9:53 am

Presidio, TX
olecowboy

Favorite Player: Alexander Pope
Least Favorite Player: Lane Adkins

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 27, 2011 11:01 am

I do hear that Presidio is splendid.

And no, I would never live in the Heat of DC Audrey.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby General » Fri May 27, 2011 11:39 am

New Orleans
Key West
Saint Pete's Beach
Kailua
San Antonio
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Fri May 27, 2011 1:11 pm

Only cities I've been to are Cleveland and New York.

Other than the subway system I didn't really like NY.

Going to Chicago and Minneapolis this summer. Got high hopes for Chicago and I'm catching a Tribe game at Target Field. Should be fun.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri May 27, 2011 1:20 pm

In 2 weeks I get to go to glorious Ft. Wayne Indiana. I've been there a few times and all I can say is Muuuuh! The beaches, the women, the night life are all superb.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby FUDU » Fri May 27, 2011 1:28 pm

San Diego, and then there's everyone else.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby JCoz » Fri May 27, 2011 1:39 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
HermanFontenot wrote:Washington DC- Everything outside the Government area seems to be a slum, and it's absolutely miserable there in the summer. I went there in June of 1998 for the Tibet Freedom Concert at RFK and was sweating buckets the entire time. You couldn't pay me to live there.

When is the last time you were actually in DC? The gov't area is nice, the NW is gorgeous and just full of partying 20 somethings with good jobs or urban 30 somethings and the SW is nice. The NE still has some legit issues but the SE has a lot of promise with the new stadium development. DC is the text book example of urban renewal done right and has had one of the fastest growing economies in the country for most of this decade. Today it is bustling, clean, has fantastic public transportation and is full or young professionals and gov't peeps.

If you want to see awesome DC hang in NW around Georgetown and Dupont Circle.

And RFK was barely even in DC. It was way out on the east side next to some real crappy areas.

Not going to argue about the heat though. I had an internship in school right on the inner-harbor in B-more one summer. Every-time I left the building it felt like I was walking into a sauna.

DC would be great if you lived what I guess is your lifestyle.

For city life it really has a ton to offer, if you can handle the heat and dont drive, you'd love it there.

IMO there can't possibly be anything here though that is better than it would be in Boston.

Unfortunately I'm pretty much stuck here in the area for the foreseeable future. At least there is good work here though.

BTW, 4 years later and and SE is really now just getting to the place you described, you were at least a bit ahead of yourself with those statements. I'm building an Outdoor ice skating rink/public park right in the shadows of the stadium....SE still has a very long way to go. No buts about it.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Previous

Return to No Holds Barred