Text Size

No Holds Barred

West 89th St. Shooting

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

West 89th St. Shooting

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:12 pm

6 shot, 5 dead....a few were kids ranging from 2 to 14. This world is absolutely fucking sick. I'm honestly thinking about not having children so they arent brought into suck a twisted world. How much worse can it get? Im afraid to ask. God Bless these families.
User avatar
4thQtrGlory
 
Posts: 2186
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Chardon
Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Re: West 89th St. Shooting

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:36 pm

Its probably not the time, but it sure is the place.

If this PoS wasnt let go by a joke of a justice system... twice... and served the max sentence then he wouldnt have been on the streets right now. How someone who has a previous manslaughter convictions gets arrested and charged with domestic violence with a gun and a child involved only gets another 5 years is pathetic. I'd make him serve those five and finish out the rest of his manslaughter conviction. But once again people feel bad for monsters and let them out. I dont care, let them rot in jail or hell, I could care less.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/03 ... on_we.html

According to Cuyahoga County's online court records, he was sent to prison in 2002 after a domestic violence incident that involved a gun and children.

Crawford faced multiple charges and pleaded guilty to felonious assault, endangering children and other charges.

A judge sent him to Lorain Correctional Institution for at least five years.

If Crawford is guilty, this would not be the first time he has killed.

When he was 19, he shot and killed 22-year-old Joseph Smith in March 1995 in a dispute over a girlfriend. He pleaded guilty later that year to voluntary manslaughter and was sentenced to five to 25 years in prison.

"I didn't mean to take a life, but a life is took," Crawford said during his trial. "I apologize to the family [of Smith], but I did what I had to do."

It was not immediately clear Thursday night how many years of that sentence he served, but by March 3, 2002, he had returned to the streets and was again under arrest. This time he was charged with several crimes, including domestic violence with a firearm.

He pleaded guilty in August 2002 to felonious assault with a firearm, endangering children, having weapon while on parole, and failure to comply with an officer's order
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7063
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: West 89th St. Shooting

Unread postby jfiling » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:04 am

Damn. The only way this guy should have ever been let on the streets again is medicated with frequent check-ups by counselors. I don't even want to pretend to have any idea how to deal with people like this. There's a visceral vengeful part of me that wishes he would have just killed himself, because then nobody has to worry about how to deal with him.
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: West 89th St. Shooting

Unread postby osucrazy18 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:31 am

unbelieveable, there still looking for this POS

sometimes the world can just make you want to scream
"On an off shooting night all you have is your fundamentals and your momma, cause she believes in you Mo!!!!" - - - Uncle Austin after Clippers 3/11/09 believe baby believe
User avatar
osucrazy18
 
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:50 am
Location: Grafton, Ohio
Favorite Player: Confidence
Least Favorite Player: KG's mouth

Re: West 89th St. Shooting

Unread postby el67ko » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:55 am

I work Corrections in a county jail just east of Cleveland. Our county is rural, but our jail is funded by taking the "overflow" from the Cleveland jail system. Out of approximately 150 inmates, 100-120 are from Cuyahoga County. The criminal histories on some of these guys are sickening...it makes you wonder how they have been out of prison/jail long enough to commit as many crimes as they have. The recidivism rate on these guys is horrendous, yet they keep getting set free due to overpopulation and soft judges. Every time something like this happens, where a repeat offender kills/rapes/steals again, you would hope eyes would open to the situation. But they don't. After having daily conversations with Cleveland's worst for the past four years I refuse to go to Cleveland except for sporting events. The stories are horrific, but to them it is a joke. It's sad but there is a portion of the population that just has no regards for other human life.
User avatar
el67ko
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:05 pm
Location: Chardon
Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: City of Pittsburg

Re: West 89th St. Shooting

Unread postby Doc » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 pm

el67ko wrote:I work Corrections in a county jail just east of Cleveland. Our county is rural, but our jail is funded by taking the "overflow" from the Cleveland jail system. Out of approximately 150 inmates, 100-120 are from Cuyahoga County. The criminal histories on some of these guys are sickening...it makes you wonder how they have been out of prison/jail long enough to commit as many crimes as they have. The recidivism rate on these guys is horrendous, yet they keep getting set free due to overpopulation and soft judges. Every time something like this happens, where a repeat offender kills/rapes/steals again, you would hope eyes would open to the situation. But they don't. After having daily conversations with Cleveland's worst for the past four years I refuse to go to Cleveland except for sporting events. The stories are horrific, but to them it is a joke. It's sad but there is a portion of the population that just has no regards for other human life.


Agreed. I do background checks for people trying to get jobs. The criminal histories I see for people who are applying for these jobs makes me wonder why they aren't currently in jail.

And a lot of it is overcrowding. I mean, I can't really speak on other areas, but Chicago (Cook County) always seems like there are a lot of non convictions. Just seeing the final result, it really seems like they just don't have the time or the space to fully try all these criminals. Again, I could be wrong...just a guess though.

Unfortunately, it seems most crimes anymore get probation, even for repeat offenders. Fine, I understand the concept of probation...sometimes people make mistakes. But, a criminal "history", aka more than 1 major offense, shouldn't be greeted with probation.

But, again, that all stems from overcrowding. If there was more ability to confine these criminals, they'd be confined. I guess the judges know that, and try to roll the dice and hope probation/parole is the solution. I don't really see it getting better any time soon...worse probably. I mean, in 2+ months, there was the execution down on St. Clair, and then this...not to mention the lesser profile killings that I'm sure have happened.

It's scary out there.
Doc
 
Posts: 726
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:42 pm
Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Re: West 89th St. Shooting

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:19 pm

jfiling wrote:Damn. The only way this guy should have ever been let on the streets again is medicated with frequent check-ups by counselors. I don't even want to pretend to have any idea how to deal with people like this. There's a visceral vengeful part of me that wishes he would have just killed himself, because then nobody has to worry about how to deal with him.



Jesus J.

I gotta remember not to get on your bad side again. Your wish was His command I guess. You should still sleep easy tonight though. It ain't on you. ;-) ;) :wink:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/03/06/ohi ... index.html
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22783
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: West 89th St. Shooting

Unread postby OpusTPenguin » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:15 am

Ziner wrote:Its probably not the time, but it sure is the place.

If this PoS wasnt let go by a joke of a justice system... twice... and served the max sentence then he wouldnt have been on the streets right now. How someone who has a previous manslaughter convictions gets arrested and charged with domestic violence with a gun and a child involved only gets another 5 years is pathetic. I'd make him serve those five and finish out the rest of his manslaughter conviction. But once again people feel bad for monsters and let them out. I dont care, let them rot in jail or hell, I could care less.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/03 ... on_we.html

According to Cuyahoga County's online court records, he was sent to prison in 2002 after a domestic violence incident that involved a gun and children.

Crawford faced multiple charges and pleaded guilty to felonious assault, endangering children and other charges.

A judge sent him to Lorain Correctional Institution for at least five years.

If Crawford is guilty, this would not be the first time he has killed.

When he was 19, he shot and killed 22-year-old Joseph Smith in March 1995 in a dispute over a girlfriend. He pleaded guilty later that year to voluntary manslaughter and was sentenced to five to 25 years in prison.

"I didn't mean to take a life, but a life is took," Crawford said during his trial. "I apologize to the family [of Smith], but I did what I had to do."

It was not immediately clear Thursday night how many years of that sentence he served, but by March 3, 2002, he had returned to the streets and was again under arrest. This time he was charged with several crimes, including domestic violence with a firearm.

He pleaded guilty in August 2002 to felonious assault with a firearm, endangering children, having weapon while on parole, and failure to comply with an officer's order


from the PD:

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/03 ... elf_s.html

The guy's a thug, been a thug, died a thug but the article explains his time served for the two priors as an adult.

"Court records show that Crawford killed a man in a fight over a girlfriend in 1995, and fired a gun at his then-wife, while she was holding their child, in 2002, after she refused to accompany him on a birthday celebration.

Crawford served the full five-year sentence for firing a gun at his then-wife."

"in 1995, he was sitting with a girlfriend at her home when a former boyfriend forced his way inside the apartment. Joseph Santana Smith choked the woman and punched Crawford, who grabbed a gun and chased Smith, firing as he ran away. Five of the shots hit Smith, killing him, said Ryan Miday, spokesman for the county prosecutor."

The manslaughter charge came after someone broke in and attacked his girlfreind and him.
OpusTPenguin
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: West 89th St. Shooting

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:54 pm

Why can't these mass shooters that end up taking their life after killing multiple people just kill themselves from the get go without taking others with them? I know this is like asking what is the meaning of life, but this seems to be how these cases always go down.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
User avatar
TouchEmAllTime
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:43 pm
Location: Boardman
Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Re: West 89th St. Shooting

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:03 am

Saw that nobody updated. If you hadn't heard, Davon Crawford was found with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head in a house about 3 miles from where the first shooting took place.


http://www.fox8.com/wjw-shooting-0305,0,2171143.story
Fuck the Browns...
User avatar
rebelwithoutaclue
 
Posts: 3639
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:43 am
Location: Under them Skies of Blue
Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Re: West 89th St. Shooting

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:15 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
jfiling wrote:Damn. The only way this guy should have ever been let on the streets again is medicated with frequent check-ups by counselors. I don't even want to pretend to have any idea how to deal with people like this. There's a visceral vengeful part of me that wishes he would have just killed himself, because then nobody has to worry about how to deal with him.



Jesus J.

I gotta remember not to get on your bad side again. Your wish was His command I guess. You should still sleep easy tonight though. It ain't on you. ;-) ;) :wink:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/03/06/ohi ... index.html

I'm only glad because it saves everyone a whole lot of pain. I wouldn't want to be a relative of those he killed watching him wind his way through the justice system for 20 years until he got the chair. He did it himself, which is just the best end to the whole mess.
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: West 89th St. Shooting

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:42 pm

OpusTPenguin wrote:
Ziner wrote:Its probably not the time, but it sure is the place.

If this PoS wasnt let go by a joke of a justice system... twice... and served the max sentence then he wouldnt have been on the streets right now. How someone who has a previous manslaughter convictions gets arrested and charged with domestic violence with a gun and a child involved only gets another 5 years is pathetic. I'd make him serve those five and finish out the rest of his manslaughter conviction. But once again people feel bad for monsters and let them out. I dont care, let them rot in jail or hell, I could care less.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/03 ... on_we.html

According to Cuyahoga County's online court records, he was sent to prison in 2002 after a domestic violence incident that involved a gun and children.

Crawford faced multiple charges and pleaded guilty to felonious assault, endangering children and other charges.

A judge sent him to Lorain Correctional Institution for at least five years.

If Crawford is guilty, this would not be the first time he has killed.

When he was 19, he shot and killed 22-year-old Joseph Smith in March 1995 in a dispute over a girlfriend. He pleaded guilty later that year to voluntary manslaughter and was sentenced to five to 25 years in prison.

"I didn't mean to take a life, but a life is took," Crawford said during his trial. "I apologize to the family [of Smith], but I did what I had to do."

It was not immediately clear Thursday night how many years of that sentence he served, but by March 3, 2002, he had returned to the streets and was again under arrest. This time he was charged with several crimes, including domestic violence with a firearm.

He pleaded guilty in August 2002 to felonious assault with a firearm, endangering children, having weapon while on parole, and failure to comply with an officer's order


from the PD:

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/03 ... elf_s.html

The guy's a thug, been a thug, died a thug but the article explains his time served for the two priors as an adult.

"Court records show that Crawford killed a man in a fight over a girlfriend in 1995, and fired a gun at his then-wife, while she was holding their child, in 2002, after she refused to accompany him on a birthday celebration.

Crawford served the full five-year sentence for firing a gun at his then-wife."

"in 1995, he was sitting with a girlfriend at her home when a former boyfriend forced his way inside the apartment. Joseph Santana Smith choked the woman and punched Crawford, who grabbed a gun and chased Smith, firing as he ran away. Five of the shots hit Smith, killing him, said Ryan Miday, spokesman for the county prosecutor."

The manslaughter charge came after someone broke in and attacked his girlfreind and him.


Well, yer birthday is a special day that only comes once a year. Maybe his feelings were really hurt.

Let's face it, if this were a woman, she'd claim some psychiatric mumbo jumbo and walk.

Just sayin'.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: West 89th St. Shooting

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:45 pm

Doc wrote:
el67ko wrote:I work Corrections in a county jail just east of Cleveland. Our county is rural, but our jail is funded by taking the "overflow" from the Cleveland jail system. Out of approximately 150 inmates, 100-120 are from Cuyahoga County. The criminal histories on some of these guys are sickening...it makes you wonder how they have been out of prison/jail long enough to commit as many crimes as they have. The recidivism rate on these guys is horrendous, yet they keep getting set free due to overpopulation and soft judges. Every time something like this happens, where a repeat offender kills/rapes/steals again, you would hope eyes would open to the situation. But they don't. After having daily conversations with Cleveland's worst for the past four years I refuse to go to Cleveland except for sporting events. The stories are horrific, but to them it is a joke. It's sad but there is a portion of the population that just has no regards for other human life.


Agreed. I do background checks for people trying to get jobs. The criminal histories I see for people who are applying for these jobs makes me wonder why they aren't currently in jail.

And a lot of it is overcrowding. I mean, I can't really speak on other areas, but Chicago (Cook County) always seems like there are a lot of non convictions. Just seeing the final result, it really seems like they just don't have the time or the space to fully try all these criminals. Again, I could be wrong...just a guess though.

Unfortunately, it seems most crimes anymore get probation, even for repeat offenders. Fine, I understand the concept of probation...sometimes people make mistakes. But, a criminal "history", aka more than 1 major offense, shouldn't be greeted with probation.

But, again, that all stems from overcrowding. If there was more ability to confine these criminals, they'd be confined. I guess the judges know that, and try to roll the dice and hope probation/parole is the solution. I don't really see it getting better any time soon...worse probably. I mean, in 2+ months, there was the execution down on St. Clair, and then this...not to mention the lesser profile killings that I'm sure have happened.

It's scary out there.


You have to let the violent offenders out. If you didn't, you'd have all those dangerous entrepreneurs out selling their wares to all the users who also need to be locked up.

What, you want dangerous violent types in jail instead of drug offenders?

Simpleton.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: West 89th St. Shooting

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:35 pm

It's half over now, but A&E's Crime 360 is running the episode about this heinous crime.

It's on again at 3 a.m., but since most won't see this, I looked in the guide all the way up to Sept 7 on A&E and haven't seen it being on again.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14350
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: West 89th St. Shooting

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:52 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I'm recording the 3am showing.
StewieG
 
Posts: 4043
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Re: West 89th St. Shooting

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:40 pm

I watched the A&E thing just now. Horrifying. Just horrifying.
StewieG
 
Posts: 4043
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Re: West 89th St. Shooting

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:45 pm

StewieG wrote:I watched the A&E thing just now. Horrifying. Just horrifying.


No doubt.

Crime 360 is a good show, though. A lot of their episodes take place in Cleveland, Rochester, or Indianapolis.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14350
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: West 89th St. Shooting

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:54 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
StewieG wrote:I watched the A&E thing just now. Horrifying. Just horrifying.


No doubt.

Crime 360 is a good show, though. A lot of their episodes take place in Cleveland, Rochester, or Indianapolis.


Yeah, that show and The First 48 are two of the best on TV.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: West 89th St. Shooting

Unread postby Ziner » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:29 am

Skating Tripods wrote:
StewieG wrote:I watched the A&E thing just now. Horrifying. Just horrifying.


No doubt.

Crime 360 is a good show, though. A lot of their episodes take place in Cleveland, Rochester, or Indianapolis.


My only question is how exactly they have film crews ready to shoot this. Just watched it tonight as well. Really effed up
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7063
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: West 89th St. Shooting

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:22 pm

Ziner wrote:My only question is how exactly they have film crews ready to shoot this. Just watched it tonight as well. Really effed up


They just have the crews on standby. They can shoot the shots of the city or the driving shots at anytime. Hell, they can even stage all the phone calls if they want. You almost never hear the person on the other end.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14350
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger


Return to No Holds Barred

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest