Text Size

No Holds Barred

Work out tips

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Re: Work out tips

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:18 pm

Cool, thanks for the advice Lubber!
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby BDFD » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:00 pm

Six days a week for the past four months I've been alternating sets of Perfect Pushups and crunches/leg lifts and have dropped 20-25lbs and got the ol' six pack back. I'm a fairly thin guy anyway but when I hit 30 and went from 165lbs to 195, even with a somewhat active lifestyle. I quit drinking pop after work (must have Mountain Dew) and watch what I eat a bit more now. Now when I go fishing all day I bring a bag of pretzels or Sun Chips or something instead of Zingers and Hostess cherry pies.

Again, anyone wanna buy a Bow Flex that's in great shape?
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:32 pm

Bump - because this is a great thread

I really need to change my life. Every day I wake up I'm in the worst shape I have ever been in. That thought is depressing as hell to me. A few years back I counted the weight watchers point and lost about 40 lbs. I gained it all back. I'm doing it again and it is going slower this time. Seems harder this time for some reason. I've come to the realization that without exercise, it won't really matter what I do.

I'm really interested in the p90x. In particular what Lubber thinks about it a year later.

I feel like I need something that is very regimented and spelled out for you.

What is the time commitment? Is it every day? How much time a day? Is it better just to try to do my own thing?

I'm not looking for the easy way out, I'm just trying to be realistic as far as what I can do and what I WILL do.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:58 pm

StewieG wrote:I recently started working out (I'm woefully out of shape, but surprisingly not all that fat). Anyone have any workout tips that aren't really mainstream, but that worked for you? Or any bits of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Depending on what it is you want to do

Don't work out daily as your body needs to recover

start out 3 times a week then 4

Circuit training is great cardio
3 circuits of sit ups, push ups, pull ups, tricep dips, step ups and dorsal raises will set you right and always go for a run afterwards as you will benefit from running a bit tired after a work out. works wonders for your stamina

warm up properly before stretching
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Doc » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:47 pm

Wow, I was wondering how I missed this thread. Then I saw it was from last year. Great thread though. I enjoy reading these tips myself. We're doing a Biggest Loser comp at work from March-May. I dropped about 50 pounds in '09, and the ironic thing is that I didn't do much. I did cut out pop and beer a lot, and I think that helped, and I think I ate better, but not spectacularly better. The "natural" weight loss kind of became stagnant by the beginning of the year, so I was excited that our work was having this competition. I'm down 7 pounds for the month, and I have a goal of losing 30 by the end of May.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to work-out full time (cop out excuse) because I've just finished buying a house and am working on getting that ready for full time habitation. I'd like to keep this thread relevant for a while again, as I think it's helpful and another level of accountability.

PS, if that bowflex is still available a year later, PM me.
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Unread postby That_Guy™ » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:04 am

Motherscratcher wrote:Bump - because this is a great thread

I really need to change my life. Every day I wake up I'm in the worst shape I have ever been in. That thought is depressing as hell to me. A few years back I counted the weight watchers point and lost about 40 lbs. I gained it all back. I'm doing it again and it is going slower this time. Seems harder this time for some reason. I've come to the realization that without exercise, it won't really matter what I do.

I'm really interested in the p90x. In particular what Lubber thinks about it a year later.

What is the time commitment? Is it every day? How much time a day? Is it better just to try to do my own thing?

I'm not looking for the easy way out, I'm just trying to be realistic as far as what I can do and what I WILL do.

P90X is awesome. I started it a few months back but had to quit because of changing jobs. The program is 6 days a week with stretching or rest on the 7th. The daily routines are between just under an hour to hour and a half. They are intense, but nothing seems to be overwhelming. Pick up a cheap set of dumbells from Walmart and a pull-up bar and you're set.

Tony Horton, the trainer in the videos, is a good motivator and has fun with the workout. He gives lots of tips of how to modify the moves based on what you are capable of. There's definitely something for everyone in P90X. I'm actually looking to start it again after we get settled in to our new house. Time to get the gut under control before it gets out of hand.
The first rule of Fight Club is: Don't tell Chuck Norris about Fight Club.
That_Guy™

Favorite Player: Leroy Jenkins
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:59 pm

Google Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.

Also check out http://crossfit.com

Using linear progressions on the three main compound movements (squat, deadlifts, and presses- bench or standing)will give you the quickest gains.

Also, as your poundages increase you'll need to eat more. Plenty of good fats are very important.

Some other opinions:
morning> other times
free weights>machines
functional movements>isolated movements
protein/fats>carbs (read The Zone)

You can workout everyday too. Just vary your routine. You aren't at risk of overtraining as a novice.
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:23 am

I would encourage anyone to read: The New Rules of Lifting, by Schuler and Cosgrove.

Fantastic book, and well written, which is about unheard of for this genre.

Anyways, read this and your questions will be cut by 95%.

Bottom line, it's 2010. The science is there. Much less confusion than even 10 years ago in regards to how to reach your goals, whether it be fat loss, muscle growth or a combination. This book explains it all very clearly, and most importantly explains WHY. This is what will eliminate many questions.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:28 pm

Throw out your shoes.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:07 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Throw out your shoes.

I read through that thread and the barefoot running is definitely interesting.

I was originally thinking of trying p90x but it it's really 1-1.5 hours a day I doubt I can do it. Or more to the point I doubt I would.

Let me ask this: Is running enough? If I started running in the mornings for a half hour 4-5 times a week is that enough to stay in shape? I'm not looking to turn myself into an Abercrombie model. I just want to be fit.

I'm working on the diet end of it, but I ned exercise.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:13 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:Throw out your shoes.

I read through that thread and the barefoot running is definitely interesting.

I was originally thinking of trying p90x but it it's really 1-1.5 hours a day I doubt I can do it. Or more to the point I doubt I would.

Let me ask this: Is running enough? If I started running in the mornings for a half hour 4-5 times a week is that enough to stay in shape? I'm not looking to turn myself into an Abercrombie model. I just want to be fit.

Running is great, but you can't go running in the morning and eat a whole large pizza at night, watching what you eat helps. I've been running alot recently and i'm just starting to loose the weight I gained over the holidays. I'm still drinking beer though.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:39 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I'm still drinking beer though.

You gotta draw the line somewhere.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby diminishingskills » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:04 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:I read through that thread and the barefoot running is definitely interesting.

It's a limited fad that has taken off with a few people, but definitely not something to be advised for a beginner. I've run roughly 45-50 miles per week for years and would never imagine running barefoot unless it is on a surface like sand.

How's this for an answer: it all depends.

If you are looking for muscle, running won't do it for you (at least, not above the equator; you'll get some tone, but that's about it).

If you are looking for aerobic conditioning, I don't think there's anything better. Only thing that comes close (IMO) is swimming -- and for that, you need access to a pool. Running, you can do anytime, anywhere.

Running is also great for weight loss/maintenance. The past seven or eight years, since I really ramped up running, I've been a consistent weight (my lightest weight in adulthood, definitely slimmer than when I was in my 20s or early 30s).

The best bottom line advice I can offer is: listen to everyone, but follow no one. Figure out what works for you, and go with it. You'll never stick with an exercise routine if you don't like it, so find something you enjoy doing ... and then do it pretty much every damn day. It has to become something you simply do every day, same as you would take a shower or brush your teeth. If that something is running, terrific; but if you dread it, then find some other exercise that you enjoy more.

Good luck!
If it flies, floats, or fornicates, always rent it -- it's cheaper in the long run.
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Favorite Player: Those who try
Least Favorite Player: Those who don't

Unread postby mrburns » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 pm

Tons of really good advice so far, I'll throw in a few things.

1. Pace yourself. If you're out of shape, build yourself up gradually. Don't risk injury and/or mental exhaustion. Rome wasn't built in a day.

2. Cross train if possible for cardio. I've gotten into triathlon the last few years and it's great for a number of reasons. Swimming, biking, and running are all obviously great ways to stay in shape, but doing something different every day keeps things interesting, and can let you work out more often while reducing risk of injury. Running is fantastic. Biking is low impact and will really strengthen your legs. I had problems with shin splints a few years ago, but since I started biking, they're gone. Swimming (if you are competent and have pool access) gives your legs a nice break, is low impact, and gives you a great upper body workout.

3. P90X. I have the DVD of the ab workout, and it's really good. You can do it at home in like 15-20 minutes. Find someone who has the DVDs and copy them, don't spend the money.

4. Perfect Pushup. These seem like a lame infommercial, but they're really great. You can get them for like $20-25 now, they make pushups tougher, give you naturally better form, and take a lot of stress off of your wrists and tendons.

5. Workout at the time of day when you're most comfortable. I'm not at my best in the morning, so I worked out at night for a long time. I now do a lot of my running in the morning, and like Lead said, it gets it done, and wakes you up and gets the endorphins flowing so you feel great all day. Eventually try to do cardio in the morning, but to start off, do it when you're most comfortable.

6. Focus on making small changes to your diet, nothing drastic. Don't try to cut 1000 calories or something crazy out of your diet all at once, unless you were on an all-pizza diet to begin with. If you're trying to lose a few pounds, try to do it more with exercise. When you go under 1500 calories and you're working out regularly, it becomes easy to gorge on something stupid, especially late in the day. Try to make small changes like cutting out that daily can of Pepsi. Little stuff that you won't really miss can make a big difference over the course of a few months.

7. Find a partner(s), especially for lifting and running. It's much tougher to skip workouts when someone else is holding you accountable. It's an easy way to meet some new people at the gym who might have similar interests, too.
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby Lubber » Tue May 11, 2010 10:56 am

Motherscratcher wrote:Bump - because this is a great thread

Hey Motherscratcher. Sorry for the delay, but wanted to get around to replying to your post. Below is a quick overview since I last posted on this topic last year. After dropping 20 lbs by May 2009, I had to go in and get some scar tissue removed from a previous ACL knee surgery. Following surgery, I was on crutches for a few weeks, and really could not do much actively for a month or so. Needless to say, I put the 20 back on and a few more. Got lazy over the summer with BBQ's (too much food, beer, etc,) so packed on even more weight and hit my all time high :(. Decided to start P90X back up around November. Did it for 2 weeks, but was so out of shape that I could not handle it. So I started eating better ( 4-5 meals a day, smaller portions, tried to cut out anything after 7-8pm), and instead of P90X, I played basketball, racquetball, and tried to walk everyday except for blizzard conditions. I also gave up alcohol from January to April 2010. That enabled me to drop about 40 lbs from November until April. Then I started back up with P90X as I felt I was in good enough shape to get through it. I am currently finishing up Week 4 and have lost 20 lbs since starting that.

The bottom line is do something you enjoy and that fits into your lifestyle. But generally, you just need to take Peeker's advice ("Eat Less, Move more"). I like the P90X because it provides me with something organized that has been proven many times over to work for all ages of people. So people do not like it because it takes 60-90 minutes depending on the day, and it takes 7 days of workouts (unless you rest on Stretch day). I just go to bed earlier now and get up and do the routine in the morning before work. Another big thing is you have to eat breakfast each day. It helps fight out the hunger that leads to big lunches and eating bigger portions than you should. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Tue May 11, 2010 12:03 pm

This guys got some tips. He's Bill Nye on 'roids.

Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Previous

Return to No Holds Barred