Text Size

No Holds Barred

"You know what really grinds my gears..."

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

"You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:40 pm

I want to say I've created this thread before here at TCF, but I'm not sure because I've created it at other boards I've been at.

Anyway, the thread "Let's Vent" made me want to recreate it. It's always a fun thread. I'll go first...

As mentioned before in another thread, I work at Gamestop, a video game retailer. I HATE IT when we've just closed, and people GET OUT of their car to pull on the door MULTIPLE TIMES when clearly the door is LOCKED and the metal gates behind the door, which are hard to see through, are PULLED DOWN. God, people are stupid.

An added bonus sometimes is when some of them knock on the door and plead us to let them in. "Oh c'mon man! I just need a controller!"

It's like NO. Fuck off. Where were you the other 10 hours we were open, you moron?


Whew. That felt good.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
User avatar
Bill the Butcher
 
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Five Points
Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby waborat » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:34 pm

Sorry Bill, I understand your point, but it's customer service like that in this economy that will put many businesses in the government cheese line :wha?:
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:44 pm

I don't say that stuff outloud to the people, LOL, I say it to myself.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
User avatar
Bill the Butcher
 
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Five Points
Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby waborat » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:50 pm

Bill the Butcher wrote:I don't say that stuff outloud to the people, LOL, I say it to myself.


Ahh, was afraid those 8 year olds walked back to their cars and asked their mothers what "fuck off" meant?
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:06 pm

waborat wrote:
Bill the Butcher wrote:I don't say that stuff outloud to the people, LOL, I say it to myself.


Ahh, was afraid those 8 year olds walked back to their cars and asked their mothers what "fuck off" meant?


Hahaha, nah I'm not that big of a dick. Oh yeah, and it's not just 8 year olds. Full grown human beings make the same mistake more often than kids. It's unbelievable.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
User avatar
Bill the Butcher
 
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Five Points
Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby View from 171 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:49 pm

Preface: I work in downtown Cleveland.......

When people are too damn lazy to walk their ass to the crosswalk to cross the street. They try to cross the street whenever they want (regardless if traffic is coming or not) and then give you the stink eye (or worse) when you don't stop and let them cross. Eat shit.
When everyone else is greedy, be cautious. When everyone is cautious, be greedy - Warren Buffett
User avatar
View from 171
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:17 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Favorite Player: Joe Carter
Least Favorite Player: Pappelboner

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:56 pm

I work in customer service while I go to college, and pretty much everything about it pisses me off. I'd never be able to work at a place where I depended on tips, because I'd go nuts about once ever other hour. I feel your pain, Bill. I feel your pain.
StewieG
 
Posts: 3987
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:40 pm

Bill the Butcher wrote:I HATE IT when we've just closed, and people GET OUT of their car to pull on the door MULTIPLE TIMES when clearly the door is LOCKED and the metal gates behind the door, which are hard to see through, are PULLED DOWN. God, people are stupid.

An added bonus sometimes is when some of them knock on the door and plead us to let them in. "Oh c'mon man! I just need a controller!"

It's like NO. Fuck off. Where were you the other 10 hours we were open, you moron?


Whew. That felt good.


^^ attitude on the part of retailers.. Not throwing stones at you in-particular Bill as it sounds like you don't overtly express these feelings, but this attitude (customers viewed as nuisances) is way to prevelant and practiced these days.

"Oh c'mon man! I just need a controller!" should be interpreted "Oh c'mon man! I just want to give you money!"

Off my soap box.
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
User avatar
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader
 
Posts: 4835
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:23 pm
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:54 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:
Bill the Butcher wrote:I HATE IT when we've just closed, and people GET OUT of their car to pull on the door MULTIPLE TIMES when clearly the door is LOCKED and the metal gates behind the door, which are hard to see through, are PULLED DOWN. God, people are stupid.

An added bonus sometimes is when some of them knock on the door and plead us to let them in. "Oh c'mon man! I just need a controller!"

It's like NO. Fuck off. Where were you the other 10 hours we were open, you moron?


Whew. That felt good.


^^ attitude on the part of retailers.. Not throwing stones at you in-particular Bill as it sounds like you don't overtly express these feelings, but this attitude (customers viewed as nuisances) is way to prevelant and practiced these days.

"Oh c'mon man! I just need a controller!" should be interpreted "Oh c'mon man! I just want to give you money!"


I see what you mean, but I'll take their money... during open hours.

Once that clock strikes 9 PM (or 6 PM on Sundays), it's game over. You missed your shot. We open tomorrow at 10 AM.

But really, I don't want to focus on those particular people who want to get in... it's the people who can't see the turned off open sign and a metal gate down from their cars. It's like they think it's some kind of an illusion. Well, it's not. It's 9 PM and we're closed.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
User avatar
Bill the Butcher
 
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Five Points
Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby RC » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:58 pm

The worst saying in America that I can possibly think of is

"The customer is always right."

I can't stand that. This saying makes people feel entitled to get anything they want from a company or a diner or whatever as long as they act like spoiled children.

Sometimes people need to realize they are wrong or they screwed up.

You know what? That waitress is not going to throw in a free order of fries because your kid decided to throw a tantrum about there not being applesauce on the menu and proceed to dump soda all over his food. I have actually seen that happen and the manager had to come over and apologize to the parents.

That contract you signed with the cell phone company? Well you should have read it and checked that you can drop your phone in a lake and get a free one and not get pissed when the company says you need to buy a new phone.

But, the customer is always right so this person I watched throw a fit in the middle of the store got a phone just so they would shut up and not make everyone feel uncomfortable.

So to the Gamestop employee I say good job. If you wanted that controller you either should have came when the shop is open or wait until tomorrow. If that guy really needs one that badly the Walmart somewhere in your town is probably 24 hours he can go pick one up there.

One last thing on this quote:

"Oh c'mon man! I just need a controller!" should be interpreted "Oh c'mon man! I just want to give you money!"

If Bill got a cut from that company for selling the controller you have a point. But I'm guessing he doesn't so what does it matter to him if he sells an extra controller at 930PM at night? Believe me, Gamestop won't go out of business because of it.
User avatar
RC
Keepin' The Faith In Y-Town
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:22 am
Location: Girard, OH
Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Chris Grant

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby pup » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:04 pm

Bill the Butcher wrote:
Hi Oktane wrote:
Bill the Butcher wrote:I HATE IT when we've just closed, and people GET OUT of their car to pull on the door MULTIPLE TIMES when clearly the door is LOCKED and the metal gates behind the door, which are hard to see through, are PULLED DOWN. God, people are stupid.

An added bonus sometimes is when some of them knock on the door and plead us to let them in. "Oh c'mon man! I just need a controller!"

It's like NO. Fuck off. Where were you the other 10 hours we were open, you moron?


Whew. That felt good.


^^ attitude on the part of retailers.. Not throwing stones at you in-particular Bill as it sounds like you don't overtly express these feelings, but this attitude (customers viewed as nuisances) is way to prevelant and practiced these days.

"Oh c'mon man! I just need a controller!" should be interpreted "Oh c'mon man! I just want to give you money!"


I see what you mean, but I'll take their money... during open hours.

Once that clock strikes 9 PM (or 6 PM on Sundays), it's game over. You missed your shot. We open tomorrow at 10 AM.

But really, I don't want to focus on those particular people who want to get in... it's the people who can't see the turned off open sign and a metal gate down from their cars. It's like they think it's some kind of an illusion. Well, it's not. It's 9 PM and we're closed.


Not to preach Bill, but...

Dude. At some point you are going to have a job as part of the adult world. And in that world, there are very few "set hours". You come you, you stay your 8, and if more needs to be done you stay longer. Just the way it works.

If I had a customer call my desk at 5:30 on a Friday with a major problem, and I either chose to not answer it or told them F off we are closed, Monday would be a much quiter day. At home.

I am not saying you should stay open late, but if someone breaks their controller at 8:45 and hauls ass to your store to get a new one, and you don't sell them one, they ain't coming back tomorrow. They are going somewhere else. Not as big of a deal to you, since you don't get percentages of the profits and all that, but if enough people were to call the owner and complain, you would have some explaining to do.

Sorry.

What grinds my gears?

People driving 50 in the left hand lane.
Ordering a burger with no pickles and getting pickles.
Cleveland Browns.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12004
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:09 pm

RC, you've struck gold.

"The customer is always right." Fuuuuuuuuuuudge that.

This story is going to make look like a dick, and it's kind of a tangent, but... we have a discount card program for customers that gets them 10% off everything used in our store. A couple weeks ago, some guy came up and bought something new and something used. He gave me his discount card, I scanned it, it took off the discount, and I told him the total. He goes, "Don't I get 10% off the new stuff too?" I go no. He goes "Yeah, I got the discount off new stuff when buying Christmas gifts." And I go, "Oh I highly doubt that, sir." And I guess because I said that, or maybe the way I said, because I half laughed when I said it, he goes, "No, I'M THE CUSTOMER, and I say I got the discount off the new stuff last time." And I go, "Okay well then why don't you bring in the receipt to prove it and I'll get you the discount for these items next time you come in." Immediately after I said that his self-righteous tone went down. I guess he realized that if he brought in the receipt I would have laid the verbal smackdown and proved him wrong... in front of other customers. What a tool.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
User avatar
Bill the Butcher
 
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Five Points
Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby pup » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:12 pm

Bill the Butcher wrote:RC, you've struck gold.

"The customer is always right." Fuuuuuuuuuuudge that.

This story is going to make look like a dick, and it's kind of a tangent, but... we have a discount card program for customers that gets them 10% off everything used in our store. A couple weeks ago, some guy came up and bought something new and something used. He gave me his discount card, I scanned it, it took off the discount, and I told him the total. He goes, "Don't I get 10% off the new stuff too?" I go no. He goes "Yeah, I got the discount off new stuff when buying Christmas gifts." And I go, "Oh I highly doubt that, sir." And I guess because I said that, or maybe the way I said, because I half laughed when I said it, he goes, "No, I'M THE CUSTOMER, and I say I got the discount off the new stuff last time." And I go, "Okay well then why don't you bring in the receipt to prove it and I'll get you the discount for these items next time you come in." Immediately after I said that his self-righteous tone went down. I guess he realized that if he brought in the receipt I would have laid the verbal smackdown and proved him wrong... in front of other customers. What a tool.


See, I agree with you in this case. That cat is trying to steal 10%. F him.

Night and day from the we are closed debate though.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12004
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby OpusTPenguin » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:13 pm

I think everyone should spend time in retail.

The problem with always re-openning the door lies in the increase of associated costs. Bill now works for however long it takes for the customer to leave. It delays closing of the store. It could push back closing the register and transfering of files to corporate.

Openning the door after the gates is down is an open invitation for a robbery. Either merchandise or the days cash. You may want Bill to spend time tied up with duct tape in the trunk of a car (and maybe that's how he normally spends his Saturday nights) but the additional risk isn't worth it for the company (or Bill, unless he's into that). Risk Management or Loss Prevention would have a cow. If the kid REEEEEEEALLY wants a controller, he'll come back first thing in the morning.
OpusTPenguin
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:14 pm

Pup wrote:I am not saying you should stay open late, but if someone breaks their controller at 8:45 and hauls ass to your store to get a new one, and you don't sell them one, they ain't coming back tomorrow. They are going somewhere else. Not as big of a deal to you, since you don't get percentages of the profits and all that, but if enough people were to call the owner and complain, you would have some explaining to do.


I'm not "denying" them business. I locked the doors and closed the gates at 9 PM. I'm not locking the doors and closing the gates as their running towards the entrance, LOL. That'd be f'n hilarious. Nor am I letting them in and denying them business at the counter.

As a reminder, I don't YELL at the customers. I don't tell them to go away. I simply watch them be idiots and try to get through a locked door and metal gates.

If they do call and complain, I don't give two shits. We close at 9. You missed the boat. It's as simple as that.

This has happened SO MANY times during my 5 years with the company, and I have yet to be notified of a customer complaint.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
User avatar
Bill the Butcher
 
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Five Points
Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:17 pm

OpusTPenguin wrote:I think everyone should spend time in retail.

The problem with always re-openning the door lies in the increase of associated costs. Bill now works for however long it takes for the customer to leave. It delays closing of the store. It could push back closing the register and transfering of files to corporate.

Openning the door after the gates is down is an open invitation for a robbery. Either merchandise or the days cash. You may want Bill to spend time tied up with duct tape in the trunk of a car (and maybe that's how he normally spends his Saturday nights) but the additional risk isn't worth it for the company (or Bill, unless he's into that). Risk Management or Loss Prevention would have a cow. If the kid REEEEEEEALLY wants a controller, he'll come back first thing in the morning.


Hahahaha. This made me laugh out loud because... dun dun dun... I was a victim of a robbery about 2 years ago while working at a store.

Don't worry though. You didn't force me to relive horrible memories. I laugh at that life experience whenever I remember it.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
User avatar
Bill the Butcher
 
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Five Points
Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby RC » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:18 pm

Bill, I run into customers in my job like that every single day.

People hide behind 'the customer is always right' all the time. They think it gives them a right to act like idiots.

What some customers fail to realize is that if you are polite and have a legitimate problem with my company I will do everything I possibly can to fix your issue. If you come to see me yelling and causing a scene then I'm going to throw the company rulebook at you and say tough shit.

And in keeping with the thread:

You know what grinds my gears?

People who think they can throw a fit at a company or manager or some 17 year old kid behind a fast food counter just so they can get something for nothing. Hopefully your parents taught you manners....use them.
User avatar
RC
Keepin' The Faith In Y-Town
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:22 am
Location: Girard, OH
Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Chris Grant

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby RC » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:24 pm

Pup wrote:Night and day from the we are closed debate though.


I understand that is true. Kinda going off on a tangent there from some customers I've had to put up with lately.

However the best thing I can say is 'Sorry, store closes at 9PM'. Many retail counters once they are closed for the night cannot be reopened because the computer systems sent the data for the day to corporate/some server/whatever.

Bill may even want to give that extra effort but probably couldn't because of the system and the way it's set up anyway.
User avatar
RC
Keepin' The Faith In Y-Town
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:22 am
Location: Girard, OH
Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Chris Grant

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:24 pm

Good for you, Bill. I hate that self-righteous attitude that they're right simply because they're the customer. I hate when people have figured out that if you bitch loud enough and long enough, you'll get what you want. 9 times out of 10 they're full of shit, which is a shame for that 10% who isn't full of it. If there's a genuine problem, I have no problem doing what it takes to fix it. Problem is, there's rarely a genuine problem.

I work in grocery, so I deal with food problems. If you bought something that was expired, fine. It shouldn't have been on our shelves, and we'll refund you or give you a new one if you bring in the receipt saying it was expired (or very near expired) when you bought it. No receipt, I assume you're full of shit. Maybe you are, and maybe you just threw away the receipt because you didn't think you'd need it. But I don't know that. And since there are a lot of liars looking for a free pack of cheese, I've changed, from an "innocent until proven guilty" mindset, to a "guilty until proven innocent" one. And since people like to cheat the system, the store has to pay for it somehow, so we have to raise prices. And that gives customers a new thing to bitch about.

Also, somewhat unrelated, the more people who buy those reusable grocery bags a lot of stores are selling now, the less plastic bags we'd use, which would cost us less, and allow us to keep prices lower, longer. Stores will tell you it's about the environment. It isn't. It's an attempt to keep prices lower and customers happier.
StewieG
 
Posts: 3987
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:31 pm

I apologize that most of my gear grinders revolve around the world of retail, but...

You know what really grinds my gears? When people don't hold on to their receipt for a purchase they'd like to return. I know, there could be a possibility that it went through the wash or you lost it. But c'mon... too many people come in and try to return something without a receipt. Especially for big items, like actual $300 video game systems, HOLD ON TO YOUR RECEIPT. It's common sense.

That also reminds me. You know what else grinds my gears? When people try to return a game because they didn't like it. We tell all of our customers that ALL of our used games have 7-day cash back guarantees, so that just in case you don't like it, EVEN AFTER PLAYING IT, you can return it. We also emphasize that you CANNOT do that with new games. Once their wrapping is broken, they can only exchange for the same item or trade it in for much less value. And still, people try to return a new game.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
User avatar
Bill the Butcher
 
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Five Points
Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby justmebd » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:38 pm

One of the main problems is this: People Can't Read

I used to work at a place with a lottery machine. I can't tell you how many times I had to tell people what the Lotto was worth with a huge sign sitting RIGHT BEHIND MY FRICKIN HEAD!!!

The store I worked at was very small and I sympathize with Bill because I would put in 10-hour days BY MYSELF, and just as I was getting ready to leave, some assclown would walk in and go, "Still open? Great!"

And it wasn't like it was somebody dashing in right after work on their way home. These people clearly were just out and about and decided to stop.

The funniest one was on a Sunday. Sunday's were always slow, sometimes barely even worth opening the door for. I closed the door, closed the register, and was locking the door behind me when someone pulled up.

"Hey, I just wanna look around for a few minutes."

I actually was nice enough to ask them what, in particular, they wanted.

"OH, I just want to browse."

See ya!!! The one time I let someone do that, they kept me there an extra half-hour and didn't buy anything. It doesn't pay to be nice. Too many assholes have ruined customer service for everyone else.
User avatar
justmebd
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:40 pm

justmebd wrote:Too many assholes have ruined customer service for everyone else.


QFT
StewieG
 
Posts: 3987
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:42 pm

justmebd wrote:The store I worked at was very small and I sympathize with Bill because I would put in 10-hour days BY MYSELF, and just as I was getting ready to leave, some assclown would walk in and go, "Still open? Great!"


Hahahahahaha. I swear, working in retail can suck so much ass... but you end up having so many funny stories to tell. My roommate who's a manager at another Gamestop made a kid cry because he told him that Pokemon Platinum isn't out yet. LOL, of course he didn't say it like a dick, the kid just started crying because, well, he's a kid. And it was one of those slowly brewing cries... like it took time for the fact to settle in, and then the kid just curled up near the counter, put his hands over his head, and silently weeped. Cute and absolutely hilarious.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
User avatar
Bill the Butcher
 
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Five Points
Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby pup » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:45 pm

I would like to apologize.

I never even considered things like register being down, or the chance of being robbed. Would assume most of us that never worked in retail would ever consider things like that.

So I am going to add another thing that grinds my gears:

Not actually knowing everything. I wish I did.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12004
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:53 pm

TPS reports really piss me off. Not fuckin' doing 'em anymore.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22516
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:54 pm

Pup wrote:I would like to apologize.

I never even considered things like register being down, or the chance of being robbed. Would assume most of us that never worked in retail would ever consider things like that.

So I am going to add another thing that grinds my gears:

Not actually knowing everything. I wish I did.


You jest, but we actually do get calls from the police when another store in the area has been robbed.

And we're constantly emptying the cash register because of the threat of robbery. Especially in this economy, people do get desperate.

Not trying to pile on you, because I doubt there are many people who think about things like that while they're shopping, but it is on the mind of many workers around closing time. And frankly if someone did rob us, we're gonna give them the whole damn drawer because $7/hr ain't worth getting shot.
StewieG
 
Posts: 3987
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:54 pm

Nice sig, Peeker.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
User avatar
Bill the Butcher
 
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Five Points
Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby pup » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:59 pm

StewieG wrote:
Pup wrote:I would like to apologize.

I never even considered things like register being down, or the chance of being robbed. Would assume most of us that never worked in retail would ever consider things like that.

So I am going to add another thing that grinds my gears:

Not actually knowing everything. I wish I did.


You jest, but we actually do get calls from the police when another store in the area has been robbed.

And we're constantly emptying the cash register because of the threat of robbery. Especially in this economy, people do get desperate.

Not trying to pile on you, because I doubt there are many people who think about things like that while they're shopping, but it is on the mind of many workers around closing time. And frankly if someone did rob us, we're gonna give them the whole damn drawer because $7/hr ain't worth getting shot.


See, even when I try to be humble I come off as a dick.

My post was not in jest. I swear. On Peeker's hair.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12004
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby RC » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:00 pm

I'm in a little bit of a different situation when it comes to the robbery thing.

In my profession I'm basically making appointments and going to people's houses all day. I also do door-to-door sales. I actually have an appointment tonight at 6PM (better quit goofing off and get ready to do my job).

So yeah, when I'm in a not so great part of town I'm constantly on the lookout to see if I'm going to get robbed/carjacked/whatever. It's one of the reasons why I drive a beat up 99 Honda Civic for my job.

A friend of mine in this business did get robbed right in between two houses in broad daylight. Nobody saw anything or so it was said. Luckily he was fine but it's the reasons why a lot of things in customer service are the way they are.
User avatar
RC
Keepin' The Faith In Y-Town
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:22 am
Location: Girard, OH
Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Chris Grant

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby OpusTPenguin » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:05 pm

Pup wrote:I would like to apologize.

I never even considered things like register being down, or the chance of being robbed. Would assume most of us that never worked in retail would ever consider things like that.

So I am going to add another thing that grinds my gears:

Not actually knowing everything. I wish I did.


I wasn't kidding when I said everyone should work retail. I worked the register when I was younger and corporate after college. I think once you work it you gain a better appreciation for it.
OpusTPenguin
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:07 pm

Pup wrote:
StewieG wrote:
Pup wrote:I would like to apologize.

I never even considered things like register being down, or the chance of being robbed. Would assume most of us that never worked in retail would ever consider things like that.

So I am going to add another thing that grinds my gears:

Not actually knowing everything. I wish I did.


You jest, but we actually do get calls from the police when another store in the area has been robbed.

And we're constantly emptying the cash register because of the threat of robbery. Especially in this economy, people do get desperate.

Not trying to pile on you, because I doubt there are many people who think about things like that while they're shopping, but it is on the mind of many workers around closing time. And frankly if someone did rob us, we're gonna give them the whole damn drawer because $7/hr ain't worth getting shot.


See, even when I try to be humble I come off as a dick.

My post was not in jest. I swear. On Peeker's hair.


Yeah, not sure i understand where you're coming from on that 'coming across as a dick' thing. I haven't seen much of that outta ya. (ya pole smoker) :partyers:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22516
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: the customer is always right

http://notalwaysright.com/

This website gets me through my day, I swear. Glad to know that stupidity is a constant. In particular, this post made me laugh so hard I choked on my lunch: http://notalwaysright.com/an-expensive- ... part-2/478
User avatar
exiledbuckeye
 
Posts: 1561
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:12 pm
Location: Michigan
Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:14 pm

People usually throw fits because they're embarrassed... to the workers and to other customers that may be in the store.

I see it all the time when somebody's check or credit card gets denied. They get all pissed off and blame it on us.

Oh, nice site exiledbuckeye. Absolutely hilarious.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
User avatar
Bill the Butcher
 
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Five Points
Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby OpusTPenguin » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:26 pm

What grinds my gears?

Passwords. My compnay has multiple systems, but no single sign on capability. So rather than logging in just once, I have to log into any of the systems. Which wouldn't be sooooo bad if the passwords never expired... at different time intervals... or not at all. Drives me nuts trying to remember what password iteration I'm on for given system.
OpusTPenguin
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:59 pm

exiledbuckeye wrote:Re: the customer is always right

http://notalwaysright.com/

This website gets me through my day, I swear. Glad to know that stupidity is a constant. In particular, this post made me laugh so hard I choked on my lunch: http://notalwaysright.com/an-expensive- ... part-2/478

Great, now I have new site that is going to suck years out of my productivity. Awesome site. Loved this one:
http://notalwaysright.com/even-owners-h ... art-3/1599
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3873
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby Stolliosis » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:31 am

Oh come on, this one can't possibly be true. At least I really hope not.

http://notalwaysright.com/all-games-rat ... cious/1608

I worked retail through high school and college and the words I'd use to describe the experience are "soul-crushing." I had no problems with most of my co-workers or bosses or even most of the customers. But the people that came in to run their little gift card or receipt scams or to straight up steal merchandise, and there was something like this every day, that is what made the job painful.
Stolliosis
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:24 pm
Location: Fairview Park

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:34 am

The customer is not always right at McDonalds. This chick called 911 to bitch about it, then got arrested for misusing 911.. :lmfao:

Wish I had the time to worry about Mcdonalds running out of mcnuggets. However all this being said, to not give the lady her money back is downright stupid, she wasnt given what she wanted, she should have got her money back. I bet the cashier was as intelligent as the 911 caller

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/ye ... gget1.html
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7051
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:04 pm

You know what really grinds my gears?

When all the drivers on the road are driving like they're 80 years old AND I keep getting all of the red lights.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
User avatar
Bill the Butcher
 
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Five Points
Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby CLE_fan_in_Seattle » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:26 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:I want to say I've created this thread before here at TCF, but I'm not sure because I've created it at other boards I've been at.

Anyway, the thread "Let's Vent" made me want to recreate it. It's always a fun thread. I'll go first...

As mentioned before in another thread, I work at Gamestop, a video game retailer. I HATE IT when we've just closed, and people GET OUT of their car to pull on the door MULTIPLE TIMES when clearly the door is LOCKED and the metal gates behind the door, which are hard to see through, are PULLED DOWN. God, people are stupid.

An added bonus sometimes is when some of them knock on the door and plead us to let them in. "Oh c'mon man! I just need a controller!"

It's like NO. Fuck off. Where were you the other 10 hours we were open, you moron?


Whew. That felt good.


Hah. I worked at a Gamestop for about 4 years. People coming up after we had closed always really got me too, although we'd take care of a regular customer if they showed up after closing.

There was one of these that really ground my gears. One night when some coworkers were closing a couple and their young kid came up and wanted them to open up so they could buy a Playstation for their kid. My buddies politely explained that the store was closed and they'd have to come back tomorrow. So the couple starts to get angry and is saying that they need the Playstation tonight because they're leaving for a trip or something. My buddies again tell them that we're closed and they'll need to come back tomorrow.

Then it got really out of hand, these people started yelling and trying to slam their bodies into the glass windows to break it open. All with the kid watching. The guys working called the cops and got an escort out to their car and we didn't hear from these people again. But still... It's not safe to open the doors, and it's barely safe to leave them closed.

So many other good stories too. Bill, you might like http://actsofgord.com/ if you haven't seen it yet. Not sure how real some of these stories are but they're hilarious.

Side note: If anyone read about the Wal-Mart employee who committed suicide by lighting himself on fire outside of the Wal-Mart this Gamestop is about 5 stores down the strip mall from there. It's a special little slice of heaven :)
User avatar
CLE_fan_in_Seattle
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:22 am
Location: Redmond, WA
Favorite Player: Victor Martinez
Least Favorite Player: Jonathan Papelbon

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby jonne99 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:01 am

apparently people who side with customers coming in after close don't realize that whether customers spend 5 minutes after close or 50 minutes, many employees aren't getting paid to stand there while the customer dicks around. if you really want to hate retail, try working in pharmacy where the customers don't know shit about anything.

And anyone that says stuff about having an appreciation for shitty jobs a (i.e. they build [b]character[b]) can just stop. Those people haven't had to tell a customer that their credit card was denied and that they need another form of payment, with the customer continuously saying "I don't understand"......How can one phrase that differently???

Those people also don't usually have to deal with incompetent and uneducated public (a wise choice by them i might add), so as much as you'd like to dream up machinations about how every customer should be given whatever they want, just remember that the very reason we are in this shit hole of an economy is because banks did just that.

While i'm at it, why the fuck did we trade winslow....they only goddamn jersey i bought in 20 years as a fan, and now i can't even wear it. I'm so glad we signed robert royal though....whew...i was really worried that we might actually try to sign a LINEBACKER
but in no place is the pain like Cleveland's: all-encompassing, multi-generational, redundant and unique at once.
---Scott Raab of Deadspin
User avatar
jonne99
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: chesterland
Favorite Player: jamie
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:47 am

When people break the 2 golden rules of life:

1. Be on time
2. Follow directions
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6374
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby BDFD » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:14 pm

- Women who cheat and lie then move twenty feet from you
- Getting a 7 kill streak in CoD5 and the match ends a second after you call the dogs
- Geting a 6 kill streak and then dying for some BS reason
- Going to Burger King for the sole purpose to get onion rings and they are out. Repeatedly.
- Time Warner
- The Steelers and their fans
- Miserably failed executives who still get bonuses and golden parachutes
- People who were picked on as kids or who are short and are now alpha assholes to make up for it
- Celebrity tabloids (who cares??)
- Octomom and the thousands (millions?) of others like her
- The liberal media & the current state of our federal government
User avatar
BDFD
 
Posts: 1227
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Ohio's Fightin' 14th
Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:25 pm

BDFD wrote:- Getting a 7 kill streak in CoD5 and the match ends a second after you call the dogs
- Geting a 6 kill streak and then dying for some BS reason


Hahahahahaha. Beautiful.

Actually, just as long as I have time to just call it and get my 10 points... I'm happy.

But the 2nd one pisses me off for sure.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
User avatar
Bill the Butcher
 
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Five Points
Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:00 pm

For those of us who have to go grocery shopping, I like the lines that say 12 items or less and someone rolls in with waaaaaaaaaaaaay more than that.
The "self scan" checkouts are also designed to expedite your stay in a store but for me, it results in prolonged agony. Both annoy me greatly. :hide:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador
 
Posts: 2915
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:59 pm
Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:37 pm

When Penn State beats Illinois on a miraculous shot with .3 of a second left and my streak for the cash comes to a crashing halt when earlier, prior to making the pick, I looked at it and said, this is a trap game. F*ck me.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
User avatar
TouchEmAllTime
 
Posts: 1172
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:43 pm
Location: Boardman
Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby Stolliosis » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:26 pm

fundamentals wrote:For those of us who have to go grocery shopping, I like the lines that say 12 items or less and someone rolls in with waaaaaaaaaaaaay more than that.
The "self scan" checkouts are also designed to expedite your stay in a store but for me, it results in prolonged agony. Both annoy me greatly. :hide:


Ha. It seems like whenever I go through those I get stuck behind the older person who apparently is using it for the first time ever.

Speaking of grocery shopping, I hate it when people can't be bothered to return shopping carts either to the front of the store or the collection things around the parking lot. Instead they just leave them in the parking spot making it useless for a car to park there. It's not difficult to take a minute to put it where it belongs.
Stolliosis
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:24 pm
Location: Fairview Park

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:09 pm

Littering.

I know saying that might make me look like a tree hugger... for which I am to some degree, but I'm not like... "start a revolution" crazy about it.

But anyway. I hate it when people throw trash out of the window. I'm fine with food, because it'll just decompose, but other materials like plastic and other stuff... hate it.

It just shows how lazy you are that you can't wait until you find an actual trash can. Plus, I'm a bit of a neat freak, so that sorta helps.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
User avatar
Bill the Butcher
 
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Five Points
Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:26 pm

Bill the Butcher wrote:Littering.

I know saying that might make me look like a tree hugger... for which I am to some degree, but I'm not like... "start a revolution" crazy about it.

But anyway. I hate it when people throw trash out of the window. I'm fine with food, because it'll just decompose, but other materials like plastic and other stuff... hate it.

It just shows how lazy you are that you can't wait until you find an actual trash can. Plus, I'm a bit of a neat freak, so that sorta helps.


That doesnt make you look like a tree hugger, living in trees at Berkeley would make you look like a tree hugger. I don't think anyone supports littering, it drives me nuts when people do it. There is no need for it.. Yes, I am looking at you smokers who throw your butts everywhere... and no I don't have a problem smoking in bars and resturants, just quit throwing your butts out the car window.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7051
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby General » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:26 am

I hate the cig butt thing, My wife and I will be sitting at the beach and some idiot goes into the Gulf with a cig in his mouth...well do the math, it always ends up in the water. Or I have actually heard this from some of these pigs, "...well, it's just sand, like an ashtray". Ass.


:spanky:
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
User avatar
General
 
Posts: 1846
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: Pensacola
Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Re: "You know what really grinds my gears..."

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:20 pm

LOL. Well, a swimming pool has water in it, and so does a toilet, so that makes it okay for me to shit/piss in it.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
User avatar
Bill the Butcher
 
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Five Points
Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Next

Return to No Holds Barred

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests