Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Sopranos: Season Six

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Sopranos: Season Six

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:24 pm

Back on the air March 12th for 12 episodes. Then another 8 episodes about 6 months later in January 2007.

Some interesting links ...

http://www.thesopranos.com/

I spent all morning from 5 am till 1 pm at the on-location shoot of The Sopranos at the Costco located in Clifton, New Jersey. I was told the episode they were filming Episode 11 of Season 6. The entire time I was there they only shot 2 scenes. A vast majority of the time was spent on one shot(around 6 hours) consisting of Tony Soprano (James Gandolfini) and Silvio Dante (Steve Van Zandt) meeting with Phil Leotardo (Frank Vincent) and a new recurring cast member in most of the season, (John Bianco) whose character name I didn’t catch.

John Bianco will be a new recurring cast member this season with the NY crew. John has formerly starred in The Brooklyn Boys, a Brooklyn gangster movie and may be the most recognizable as the character model for Max Payne 2. As far as I’m aware, I am the first person to break the news of this new, important cast member.

The sixth season storylines of The Sopranos should revolve around the repurcussions of Johnny Sack (Vincent Curatola)’s arrest and ensuing instability in not only the New York family, but also with the Jersey Family. I will post pictures soon of both the shoot and John Bianco later today.

http://www.the-sopranos.com/episodes/episodes6.htm

This link has some very interesting posted predictions about what will transpire in season 6.

http://www.the-sopranos.com/db/bodycount.htm

A body count tabulator. 51 televised deaths in 5 seasons.

http://www.lbracco.com/sopranos6.htm

'Sopranos' fans get few clues on season

By CHASE SQUIRES, Times TV columnist -- Published January 14, 2006

PASADENA, Calif. - The Family got grilled, but good.

Nobody talked.

With a roomful of television critics salivating for a hint, a nudge, a clue, anything about the final 20 episodes of HBO mobster drama The Sopranos, nobody wanted to be the rat.

Not with series creator David Chase right there, listening.

After a series of painful silences, short answers and evasive maneuvers from Chase, an exasperated critic made a desperate appeal to the cast: "Could anybody else please, please talk about this."

"We've been asked not to speak," said Lorraine Bracco, who plays mob boss Tony Soprano's psychiatrist.

"I was just supposed to say what I was supposed to say and get out," actor James Gandolfini, who plays Soprano, said outside a question-and-answer session, pinned against a wall by reporters.

He met pressing questions with a smirk, a shrug and silence.

A few things might have leaked, but it was slim pickings. In a montage of clips shown to critics from the 12-episode season that starts March 12, there was some fisticuffs, some gunfire, at least one guy getting hit on the head with a pipe, Tony Soprano kissing someone who isn't his wife, Uncle Junior in jail, and was that Tony's sister Janice (Aida Turturro) in a wedding dress?

Chase said the theme in the coming season will build around the incarceration of Soprano's rival mob boss Johnny Sack (Vincent Curatola) and the power vacuum his arrest has left.

"People have the chance to see a potential future for themselves in that, and it has a ripple effect," he said.

Other hints: Actor Ben Kingsley will appear, playing himself. Actor Hal Holbrook guest stars as a former scientist who gets entangled in the mob. Bracco's sister, Elizabeth Bracco, plays the wife of one of Tony's gangsters.

Chase said it takes work to keep spoilers from leaking. Fan sites tend to have little on the season, even while the Internet is generally buzzing months in advance on what's to come on other serials, such as ABC drama Lost.

"It does take a lot of thought," to keep the secret, Chase said. "But it does make a difference."

The last new episode of The Sopranos aired more than 18 months ago, in June 2004, and fans hunger for more. Chase said he's almost finished shooting this season, then plans to start shooting in June for the final eight episodes, to air in January. He knows how it ends, but he hasn't told the cast.

"I don't want to know," Gandolfini said.

Rumors of a theatrical Sopranos movie appear dead. Chase said there won't be much left to tell. The end will wrap most things up, and leave a few things hanging, Chase said.

"They're all not going to go up in a nuclear cloud."

But that's all he's saying.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Lebowski » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:42 pm

Jacked about the upcoming season.

I thought the prediction by "Jamie D" on the second link was pretty interesting. The situation with Christopher will be intriguing. I thought it was pretty weird how they ended last season with him after Adriana got whacked. We never really saw any sadness from him. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Chris acts in season 6.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:51 pm

Recently watched the entire last season.

Can't wait for season #6, which starts Sunday. Mitch is writing a Season 6 Preview for the front page of the site.

Quick review of where things stand with all the main characters ...

Tony Soprano - Ended season 5 at Johnny Sacks house when he got raided and ultimately arrested. Got away, Feds were not after him. Recently negotiated his way back into to his house and marriage. Ended a potential family strife by whacking Buscemi and making good with Sack right before his arrest.

Carmela Soprano - Negotiated a $600,000 lot from Tony in exchange for her letting him back in their marriage and house. Working with her dad to build a home on this lot. This will likely be the main story line for Carm for this season.

Silvio Dante - He and Tony almost had a falling out when Sil suggested Tony's pride got the better of him in the strife with Johnny Sack. All appeared well though after Tony did what he had to do. Sil was the one that killed Adriana after she was revealed as a snitch. They never showed what they did with her body, which could come back to haunt Dante.

Chris Moltisanti - Was forced to kill his fiance. Was clean and sober at the end of last season after initially falling off the wagon before and after the Adriana killing. Poised to eventually replace Paulie as Tony's non-consigliere #2, which could cause issues. Chemical dependancy, temper always factor with Chris as well.

Paulie Walnuts - Was disenfranchised with Tony in season #4 before they made good last season. Paulie's almost left Tony a couple times in the past. The Russian he and Chris let escape in the forest could come back to haunt them. Paulie's mom has always been a story line as well. My favorite character on the show.

Uncle Junior - Last season ended with another delay to his trial. Uncle June appears to legitimately going semi-senile after faking it to get a mistrial in season 4. He refused to counsel Tony late last season when he approached him with advice on how to handle his cousin Blundetto.

Meadow Soprano - Got engaged to that goofball that worked on the construction site with the crew, that saw Vito blowing the security guard. Still attending Colombia University, and is in and out of the house ... as campus is an hour away.

AJ Soprano - Grows a nasty mane for season 6 per the previews. Will he continue to be a nancy boy fuck up, or potentially shock Tony by showing a harder side? Late last season he was considering a career in event planning, which Tony responded to Carm by saying "isn't that gay?"
Last edited by swerb on Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:56 pm

Thanks for the review Swerb. I am pumped, but haven't had a chance to watch the previous seasons recently....so you filled my in on a lot of what I forgot about. looking forward to Mitch's piece.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:56 pm

As if I wasn't fired enough for tonights episode ...

Major kudos on the preview piece Mitch. Excellent, excellent stuff.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:16 pm

Whoa!

Can't imagine they would kill Tony off with 19 episodes and a possible motion picture still to come. They want you to believe that, to carry the buzz over to episode 2. Vitos commenting on Tony possibly being gone one day were just ammo to build the case for those who think Tony may be dead. I think next week will open with him in the hospital, in fine shape. That he went into shock but 911 got there in time.

I like what they did with Geno, a spot character the past couple seasons in Vito's crew. Made for good drama. And how realistic was that hanging scene? One camera shot, never interrupted. That was done well, and hard to watch. At first I thought he may try and take out Tony, but once it was revealed the Feds had him, I knew his time was running short. After I saw the photo album and bottle of booze out, the only question was which method he would take his own life.

Carm, Meadow, Melfi ... all looked very good, or at least better than they've ever looked. Show opens with a nice Meadow strip tease. Carm lost about 10-15 lbs. And Melfi's introduction to season six is about a 20 second shot of her legs. Nice.

It appears Vito is now the new family #5 behind Tony, Chris, Paulie, Silvio. And the incessant bragging about the weight he shed and his new diet may appears here to stay. Vito is playing a much more prominent role this season, that is obvious. Look for the blowjob Meadows fiance Finn saw him giving the security guard to resurface though.

Uncle Junior ... who knows which way that goes. That was fucked up.

Phil & Tony are playing nice, but theres all that unspoken resentment still. Will be interesting to see how that all plays out, and how much of this season Johnny Sack spends in the slammer, on trial, or both. The actor that plays Johnny Sack is phenomenal IMO.

Very little Paulie, very little Chris in episode one. I wonder what the main storylines surrounding these two excellent characters will be this season.

Not much from the kids either, aside from the disturbing Barry Melrose-like mullet AJ has grown.

Good start to the season. This is one of the best shows ever produced for television.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:23 am

Totally agree Rich on all points in your recap.

No scenes for next week.....which is not a surprise as it is just more ammo for the cliffhanger with Tony. He'll be fine, but talk about starting the show off with a bang.
consigliere

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:41 am

Wow, what a great show last night. Obviously Tony was not going to be killed off, but I did not expect this storyline with him in a coma. The coma angle with Tony out of the picture for likely at least half the season presents some intriguing possible developments in the storylines...a fight in the "family" over who is running the show....AJ wanting to whack Junoir...the peace with Johnny Sack's crew probably going up in smoke...etc.

The seeds have been planted with AJ. Looks like they are setting up AJ to be all out of control....could Tony wake up to find out AJ whacked Junoir without any authority....and then have to actually choose to whack his own kid?

BTW, Falco is a great fucking actress.
consigliere

Unread postby SpaZDawG » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:10 am

looks like next weeks episode will start off the power struggle with some bangs... pun intended
SpaZDawG

Unread postby swerb » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:43 pm

Some thoughts ...

~Does Tony die? I'm split on this. Either way, I'm pretty convinced that his days as the tough guy acting boss are over. My guess is that these last 18 episodes (plus a potential motion picture) will either deal with the aftermath of his death, or Tony's struggle to recooperate, and how that affects things. I think that we've got at least another 4-5 coma episodes though. It provides all kinds of plot twists with the sure power struggle that will ensue. Also, different characters conversations with Tony as he lies comotose will help define how the writers want his character to be remembered.

~The writers have set up the power struggle that will ensue. Silvio, the Consigliere. Paulie, the guy thats been around the longest. Vito, the top earner. And Chris, who was being groomed. Will be interesting to see how things progress with these four, and if any team together.

~The voice on the phone during Tony's dreams was most definitely Charmaine Buco. There was one part of season 3 (I think) where he was obsessed with her for a couple episodes, mentioned how he laid the wood to her as a youth, and mentioned a couple times how hes "always wondered what would have been" if he stayed with her.

~There was one scene that made me think. It was Christopher holding Meadows hand at the hospital as they slept. I'm not saying this develops into full blown incest, or even a relationship ... as Meadow is much more refined. But the Sopranos writers have done Godfather parallels in the past, and the 1st thing I thought of was Vinnie Mancini and Mary Corleone from GF III. Note also that Ben Kingsley appears in this season as himself, and supposedly talks with Chris about screen writing. Could Chris, sick of the power struggle, anxious to write, and potentially interested in a smokin hot Meadow ... try to go straight? I may be way off here. This is my long shot plot development.

~Vito is a dead man walking. He will kill Finn at some point as the parking lot hummer comes back into play. And then he will die at some point. Every season, one character is developed simply for the purposes of killing him off. See Cifaretto, Ralph. Aprile, Richie. Blundetto, Tony.

~Will be interesting to see what happens with AJ. They are clearly trying to set a plot parallel with what happened to Jackie Aprile Jr, whose ascent into the family business and then quick descent and death was chronicled in season 4. I think it may be a smoke screen. I think, in a moment of great drama, AJ will try and kill Uncle Junior, and find himself unable. What happens with him after that? Thats a big wildcard to me.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:44 pm

I'll go the opposite way on the coma. I say he's out of it by the end of episode 4. My logic is that 4 episodes were screened by critics and some other celebrities, to very high praise, and those four stories did constitute an arc.

I think the captains running the ship quickly deteriorates into near anarchy, and the next major arc starting in episode 5 will be a recovering Tony trying to pull things back together from his bed at home, and/or maybe one at the Bing.

The other reason Tony doesn't die is due to the eight episodes next year, and the possibility of a motion picture. Gandolfini has been the main attraction the entire time, and I can't see a movie without him. Yes, they could go with him staring in a flashback movie, but that wouldn't work...just like you couldn't really do justice with more episodes of Six Feet Under flashing back to Nate being alive. That type of storytelling works in a single movie, such as American Beauty, but I can't see it on a movie adaptation of a series.

If I'm not mistaken, it wouldn't really be incest with Christopher and Meadow, as Chris isn't really Tony's nephew, but his second cousin. He's called Tony his 'uncle' since Tony took him under his wing after his father was killed. But in any case, that would make sense that those two might get together, because I think you're right...Vito will kill Finn, which will be the incentive for him to find his head in a bowling bag. Since Finn is in California for dental school, Christopher will go out there for some reason (his burial), and that's where he meets up with Kingsley.

Remember in the article where I said AJ might be joining the family business? Between flunking out of school, and now this, I think he'll be in.

I'll also agree that Edie Falco just won herself an Emmy last night. What an unbelievable acting job.

Unread postby swerb » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:02 pm

Edie Falco is amazing. She first caught my eye as one of the prison guards on Oz, a role she did an amazing job with.

When shes done with the Sopranos, she will be offered major motion picture roles and I truly believe she becomes a leading lady at the theaters.

The one part that makes me think Tony comes back alive is the gloom and doom prognosis they had the docs give him last night. I feel that if the intent was to kill him off, that they would have gave him a better fighting chance, making his recovery even more dramatic.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:27 am

If George Mason advances to the Final 4, I think Tony Skinn's earned himself a small part in an episode of the Sopranos. Great name and a history of violence, perfect fit.
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Guest » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:22 am

I think we can put away the "Tony dies" rumors.

I saw on IMDB today how the rest of the cast is pushing for more money after Gandolfini got $1 million per episode for the FINAL EIGHT shows.

You don't get that kind of scratch just to play a ghost like Nathaniel Fisher, Sr in Six Feet Under.

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:37 pm

Little teaser for Sundays episode on HBO's website ..

Silvio divides the spoils from Paulie's latest score, and heads off a territorial impasse between Bobby and Vito. Carmela turns to an unexpected source for help with AJ; Christopher turns to an old writing acquaintance, JT Dolan, for help in a new venture. Don't miss the all new episode of The Sopranos, "Mayham", Sunday, March 26th at 9pm
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Lebowski » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:21 am

Couple things:

The second episode was pretty good IMO. A few people I watched with didn't like it because of its somewhat bizarre nature, but I enjoyed it overall.

I have been pondering the significance of the coma/dream sequence since Sunday. I think there were clues the the sequence was supposed to be indicative of Tony slipping away and entering hell. First, Tony was a traveling salesman of some sort. This seems like a hellish job for the mob boss. Second, he was mistaken for Kevin Finnity. The obvious clue is the word Infinity, meaning he would spending forever in hell. There were other minor clues, when Tony asked the bartender what went on in the area (I forget the city in CA). The bartender said something like, "its all dead." Then there was the scene at the seminar, when he wasn't allowed in...could this be a parallel to the pearly gates?

The issue of Tony going to hell has been brought up throughout this show's history. Carm telling Tony that he was going to hell. Melfi questioning Tony's morals for his line of business. Christopher saying that he would walk through hell for Tony for all he did for him.

Just my 2 cents...and I'm working on my third cup of joe.

Other things...

Was Junior's onset of Alzheimer's (or other memory loss) a conclusive fact from the prior season? I seemed to think so, with him wondering off to look for his brother, and forgeting names and other bizarre behavior...but a friend of mine said this was all an act for his trial. I'm foggy on the timeline from last season...was this an act, or true evidence of Alzheimer's?

I really didn't like what they did with Geno. He was a minor character who they built up bigtime for one episode, where he would commit suicide. It seemed a bit forced to me. I mean, who had any idea of his "close" relationship with Tony?

I agree that Vito will meet his demise this season. Like Swerb said, this follows the Ralph/Richie line. Let the character annoy the audience enough so that it leads to a memorable death scene. It will likely have to do with his closet homosexuality or his damaging comments behind Tony's back last season.

I still have to think that Christopher's big storyline will involve the death of Adriana. Will he regret his decision and blame Tony and the mob life? Here's to hoping we see more of Chris in episode 3....he's one of the very best characters.

Looking forward to Sunday!
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:34 pm

One thing I disagree with on Mitch's column ...

While Paulie saying "he looks terrible!" was hysterical ... the scene where he was cutting out a 55 cent Band-Aid coupon after a million dollar score had me rolling ...
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:19 pm

It was hard chosing from all the Paulie gems this week.

You had those the scene I mentioned, the one you mentioned, and then the entire spiel in the bathroom with Vito while Silvio was on the shitter.

Normally, you'd think the "investors" meeting about the movie would be tops, but Paulie truly hit for the trifecta.

Unread postby SpaZDawG » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:19 am

Another classic episode...

what about the nun with the weed wacker...
SpaZDawG

Unread postby Lebowski » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:00 pm

Where the fuck has AJ been? There have been zero scenes between father and son.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Unread postby swerb » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:43 pm

Slow episode. Very litte advancement to any of the major plot lines that are brewing.

Will be interesting to see ...

How long the Paulie "I gots no mommy" reign of terror continues, and if Tony finds out about Paulie making the Barone kid kick him up 4 grand a month.

Did Bacala accidentally shoot that guy in the ass? My first take is that getting shot in the ass may have the opposite effect on the young rappers record sales, which could put Bacala in some trouble.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby SpaZDawG » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:23 pm

Well we sure made fun of joey porter for it...
SpaZDawG

Unread postby swerb » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:25 pm

Something my wife just noticed, rewatching Sundays episode ...

That Schwinn guy that was in the hospital that Tony ... thats his voice in that opening scene of the first episode of this season. The scene where they show several characters and talk about the seven sins.

Not sure the relevance, if any.

Over on the OBR, we had a long discussion about the potential meaning of that scene. Some people felt it was foreshadowing, and that the characters shown would all die.

If you have On Demand or Tivo or DVR, go back and watch it.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:05 pm

I think Vito is still alive, but doesn't have long left. The only question I see is who he takes out before being killed trying to kill someone, or comitting suicide.

His only real choices right now are suicide, or to take out Finn and the two guys that saw him in The Blue Oyster.

I'll guess the latter. The writers have been dancing around potential Meadow love interests, and her lack of enthusiasm about marrying Finn will make it all the easier for her to move on after Finn is sent to sleep with the fishes.

And on a side note, if the Browns trade Faine, they can look at bringing in Johnny Sacks wife and daughter for depth help in the interior line.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:39 pm

Couple predictions that came to me today that could have something to em ...

Johnny Sack wearing a wire at his daughters wedding?

The Kevin Finnerty dream sequence being foreshadowing of Tony's potential next life in the witness protection program?
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby SpaZDawG » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:08 am

Johnny Sack wearing a wire at his daughters wedding

Oh I certainly hope not.

He would be a dead man for sure.
SpaZDawG

Unread postby Guest » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:05 am

I don't think so with Johnny Sack.

If he were cooperating, they wouldn't have pulled that 5-0 shit right in front of his daughter's limo to humiliate him the way they did.

Now the Kevin Finnerty scenario is an intersting idea. If Chase decides he doesn't want to do a movie, but wants to keep the door slightly ajar, that would be one way.

Unread postby SpaZDawG » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:28 pm

was it just me or did they spend waaaaay too much time on the gay subject.

Little snipets of the terrorist angle swerb predicited after the first episode and the wacking of rusty, but not much else. every week i expect something to pick up...
SpaZDawG

Unread postby swerb » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:09 pm

SpaZDawG wrote:was it just me or did they spend waaaaay too much time on the gay subject.

Little snipets of the terrorist angle swerb predicited after the first episode and the wacking of rusty, but not much else. every week i expect something to pick up...

I agree Spaz. Previews for next week made it look like an action packed episode.

David Chase is dead set on pounding home the theme of how the mafia in 2006 is so different from the mafia during the days of Sammy The Bull and Vito Corelone.

I see what he was trying to do, just thought he took it too far last night. Theres several other plot lines that he either ignored, or really failed to develop last night.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Fri May 26, 2006 3:41 pm

I agree with Mitch. An ALL TIME CLASSIC ... Phil "coming out of the closet" before his goons whack Vito.

Great episode last week, as the next to last ususally always is.

Should be interesting to see how they wrap things up before the final 8 episodes in Jan '07 ...
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Fri May 26, 2006 4:54 pm

I think the last few episodes havent been that great
As a whole, I'm pretty dissapointed with this season

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:09 pm

Slightly disappointed with this most recent season. That said, this is still one of the top shows in recent television history.

Loved the Melfi scenes this season. I actually liked what they did with AJ. They developed some new characters I liked. Carlo, Murmur, Benny. Acting was superb as always, Gandolfini and Falco are amazing. So is the guy that plays Phil.

I didn't like 5 episodes of dream sequences, then 5 more of Vito in Gayland, USA. The opening episode was phenomenal, but they never went anywhere with the Uncle Junior plotline. Though his statement about "maybe not working alone" likely means its a big part of the last 8. Hate Janice, Artie, Bacala... too much of them.

Christopher story line was weak and repetitive. Not enough shots of Meadow in her PJs after the opening week strip tease.

Will be interesting to see how they finish things up. This show is so exciting, was so dramatic and successful ... it's hard for Chase to not disappoint people as he finishes off the back 9 with this series.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Postponed to March

Unread postby wmurphyhh » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:47 pm

HBO has postponed the final 8 episodes until March. Supposedly due to Gandofini's rehab from knee surgery. HBO has killed this show with prolonged breaks.
wmurphyhh
"Murph"

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: Chris Johnson

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture