Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Once

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Once

Unread postby swerb » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:16 pm

Kudos Mitch.

A true diamond in the rough. The music was amazing. So much so, I ordered the soundtrack off Amazon within 5 minutes of the movie ending.

Refreshingly straightforward and simple, yet complex at the conclusion. Left me initially wanting more, then after the movie abruptly ended, I was suprisingly pleased with how it concluded. Im not a big musical guy, but I absolutely loved this one.

Im not doing the movie justice here. Mitch does.

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/article_ ... hp?id=2963

Just a really great movie. Checking IMDB after watching it, was very pleased to see it incredibly highly rated, #243 of all time.

Just rent it.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:32 pm

Glad you liked it. I think it's a "musical" that people that normally don't like the "Chicago" or "Dreamgirls" type of musical could enjoy, because they present the music in such a realistic manner...musicians performing their craft, rather than people just bursting into song (with full orchestration) at the drop of a hat.

SEMI SPOILER ALERT!!!!

I was talking to Clarissa earlier tonight and mentioning my reference to "Lost In Translation" to you...she didn't understand my comparison until I got into explaining the ending of both movies with the first reaction being "why did they end it this way?" which turned into a "this is the perfect and most honest way to end this".

Someone made a comment earlier that the movies of 2007 were not as great as the ones from 2006. And I'll agree with that in principle...but the great thing about 2007 was two non-downer movies that were so damn "haunting", for lack of a better word, in "Juno" and "Once". Haunting as they, like "Lost In Translation", stick with you for such a long time, and really get you thinking about it over and over.

BTW...you probably need to go back and re-watch the Oscars performance Hansard and Irglova did...unbelievable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuQvEOKZL2k
Last edited by Guest on Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby swerb » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:58 pm

Thanks for the link Mitch. And the recommendation.

I furiously watch 10-12 of the '07 films I'm really looking forward to seeing. Get done with those. Start hesitantly moving on to that second tier of films. Films maybe Im not super enthused about seeing. Films Id never even heard of that people I respected recommended.

Then in the span of three days, see two of the better films I've seen in a really, really long time.

Nice little surprise.

That's what makes watching films so excellent. Forget for a second the mental release they provide you from the rigors of everyday life. The fact that a film like this, starring two non actor musicians, half the film music, names never given to the lead characters, filmed for 130k in Dublin with a handheld camera .... the fact that a film like that can be so good, win Oscars, and just make a mockery of films with budgets of several if not tens of millions of dollars.

Thats what makes movies so great.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby KFletch » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:11 am

Ditto Mitch & Swerb completely. This movie was a gem of an indie. The music alone could of made the movie, but the complex versus not so complex love story was something that has rarely been done before.
KFletch

Unread postby swerb » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:51 pm

This soundtrack is incredible, just got it today.

Falling Slowly and When Your Minds Made Up are two really, really good songs. Several other very good ones as well. Not a bad tune on there.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:32 am

Watched this movie again tonight with the wife. Did not expect her to love it, she absolutely did.

Even better the second time around. Much better actually, which is saying a lot given how taken I was with this film on first viewing.

Big part of this film is the music, obviously. I've listened to the soundtrack at least 50 times in my car these last 5-6 months. Knowing the songs, the words, the meaning so much better ... going back and watching the film again ... it was a whole different experience watching this film.

Pure genius. Ending is, as Mitch put it, perfect. So many subtle strokes of genius to this movie.

One of my favorite films of the last decade.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Re: Once

Unread postby mrburns » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:39 pm

If any of you guys haven't checked this out, you need to. Really neat little movie with beautiful music. "Falling Slowly" and "Lies" are incredible songs.

I won't bother with a synopsis, Mitch's review does that more eloquently than I could, but I do want to talk about that ending. I was disatisfied with it at first, even mad. But the more I let it marinate, the more I liked it. We've all been in a situation where you meet someone and the two of you just click. It's like it was meant to be. But for whatever reason (spouse, significant other, distance, etc.), the two of you can't be together. It's never easy, but it happens all the time, and it's what makes the ending and ultimately the film itself feel so authentic.
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby The Brook » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:23 pm

The only reason I even heard of this movie was because of theclevelandfan.com. Thanks, I agree it was a really cool movie. I thought the music was awesome. I listen to Failing Slowly daily, its great song to listen and sing along to.
I recommended Once to all my friends who enjoy good movies or good music.
The Brook
carnitas, math & bucky

Favorite Player: Joe Carter
Least Favorite Player: 97 Marlins roster

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:50 pm

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?s ... os&u=HQN3F

Real life romance b/w Hansard and Irglova ends ...

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:54 pm

Can't say I'm shocked. She hasn't even turned 21 yet, and he's closing in on 40, but like any good Irishman, especially one fronting a band, still acts like a teenager at heart.

Still...gotta be thankful for that chemistry they had, because it resulted in one hell of a movie.

Still waiting to find the "Once" or "Juno" in this year's crop of films.

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:31 pm

Wow, okay I had to use the good ol' "Search" tool to pull this one from the depths of TCF. But whatever...

Until now, I don't think a film has ever hit me with such force. I mean, I've been "moved" by a film before... but this is different. The plot and the music (oh, the music!) just really hit home with me.

You're probably thinking, "Gee Butcher, umm welcome to 2009." Yeah, I know. But here's the quick back story. I was watching some late night a few weeks ago and the stars of the film were performing their new single off their new album. Normally, I never sit and watch the performances because, frankly, I usually hate live performances. But since I remember seeing them perform in the 2008 (?) Academy Awards, I decided to just sit in. Loved the song they performed. Called Low Rising off newly released Strict Joy. Anyway, from there I decided to finally Netflix it. And boom goes the dynamite.

What I truly love most about Once is the analogy between performing great music on the fly and experiencing love at first sight. I've played the guitar for nearly all my life, but rarely ever played along with people. Once in a long while my cousins and I would randomly jam and for some reason, even for years of not playing together, things would just click. It was like everything was right in the world. Notice the comparisons to meeting the right person? That scene in the music store, when Guy and Girl played together for the first time. And things just clicked. It just sounded right. It just was right. Yeah...

Glen Hansard is a breath of fresh air. I haven't seen anybody sing with that much feeling in a very long time. See: When Your Mind's Made Up and Say It To Me Now

Marketa Irglova, not only beautiful in every way, is the perfect compliment to Glen. Although their (apparently ageless) romantic relationship is over, music keeps them together to create more. Their new album Strict Joy is awesome. Recommend.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby davemanddd » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:03 pm

i actually thought "broken-hearted, hoover-fixer, sucker-guy" was the best song. hee-hee!!!

:heehee:
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture