Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Just Finally Saw Two Really Good Flicks

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Just Finally Saw Two Really Good Flicks

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:05 am

Cinderella Man and Match Point. Will chime in later with further thoughts when I have more time, but I really enjoyed both.

Was long overdue to see Cinderella Man. I know many were angry about the way they portrayed Max Baer, but aside from that ... I thought it was excellent.

And Match Point. Good god is Scarlett Johannson hot. First Woody Allen movie worth a shit in a long time. Very well done. Good performance by the young male actor that played her love interest as well.
Last edited by swerb on Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby yogi » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:14 pm

Cinderella Man was excellent. Understand and agree with your point about making Baer the bad guy, I guess they felt the film needed it.
But IMO, this film should've won BEST PICTURE, wayyyyy better than Crash. Giamatti was a deserving winner of BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Haven't seen Match Point. Not a big Woody Allen fan, but based on your O, I'll keep an eye open for it.

I'm STILL waiting for the Hitler movie you recommended from Intelliflix!
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby swerb » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:02 pm

Have seen some more great films. I saw four of my all time favorite movies again, each of which I hadn't seen for a long time.

Rewatched Alien, an excellent flick. Same with The Shining, watched that one again.

Also re-watched Gladiator (forgot how great that movie was) and just saw Lost In Translation again ... which is one of my favorite movies ever made.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby yargs7 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:23 pm

Cinderella Man was outstanding. Crowe may be a crazy ass Aussie, but my man can act. Paul Giammatti is great as well.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby yargs7 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:24 pm

I just felt the need to re-state the obvious there. Oh...I have a thought of my own on the topic...Renee Zellweger is hot!
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby Jumbo » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:01 pm

Cinderella Man was great, and I knew zero about the real Braddock. (Had at least heard Baer's name before, though). Excellent performances, and some great fights.

Saw Match Point a few weeks ago, and thought it was very good, with great acting all around, but I sometimes get annoyed at movies where I think the characters do (in my opinion) really stupid things...like the main guy's key decision. To say more would spoil it for those who still want to see it, but, in a range of bad options, he chose the worst.

This isn't a huge negative, however: characters doing things that are stupid (to the observer) in pursuit of what they want, or think they need, is at the core theme of much of literature, both old and modern. It's just that it's really uncomfortable to watch...which is what makes it effective.

(If that's confusing, I'll make it simpler: I'd give Match Point 3 stars.)
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture