Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Schindler's List

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Schindler's List

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:43 am

I hadn't seen Schindler's List since a high school senior class trip in 1994.

Thus, I made it one of my first rentals on my new Netflix account.

What a movie. If it's been a while since you've seen it, or if you haven't ... do yourself a favor and rent or purchase it.

The three hour film basically can be broken down into three parts.

1. Charismatic Czech business man Oskar Schindler (played brilliantly by Liam Neeson) senses a business opportunity at the heels of a burdgeoning war, and opens a plant making pots and pans for the German army utilizing very cheap Jewish labor as a big part of what became a successful business model.

2. The horror that took place from 1939 to 1944, where millions of Jews were senselessly murdered. This experience ruined Schindlers business as his employees were murdered, and also cause Schindler to develop feelings of sympathy for the Jews and their plight.

3. Schindler creating his list of 1100 Jews that he put together to allegedly start a plant to produce German munitions. This was all a ruse to save these peoples lives and the munitions were intentionally made incorrectly. The Germans surrendered soon after.

Powerful scenes throughout the movie. But none more so than the speech Schindler gives at the end to his 1100 workers announcing their freedom and him being forced to go into exile.

Great, great film.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby yogi » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:15 am

As long as you're in this mode, try watching "The Pianist" with Adrain Brody as the Polish-Jewish refugee in Warsaw. Just watched it last night. Good movie, good perfromances, great Piano music.

Still waiting for "Downfall" to continue my WWII watching.
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:48 am

Yog, I've never seen The Pianist. Just added it to my queue.

The Pianist, The English Patient, Gahndi ... three best pic winners I've never seen. All three in da queue.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:29 pm

The Pianist is very good. Gandhi is incredible...The English Patient will put you to sleep...it's the least deserving Oscar winning film I've seen since "Titanic".

Grab "Lawrence of Arabia", or "To Kill a Mockingbird" instead.

Unread postby yogi » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:50 pm

Lawrence of Arabia is very high on my must see Top 100 AFI list. As a matter of fact its the only movie in the Top 10 that I haven't seen.

Mitch, when you get a chance take a look at my AFI thread.

To Kill a Mockingbird was another slow start (like Munich, I guess) but the payoff was huge as the last hour was totally high drama stuff!

Next for me is #16. All About Eve (Betty Davis)

How come Ghandi isn't in the AFI top hundred? Is it a foreign made picture?

Everytime I hear about The English Patient, I think about how Elaine hated that movie! Funny!
yogi
Jersey Accent

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture