Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Actor Heath Ledger Dead at 28

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Actor Heath Ledger Dead at 28

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:02 pm

Being reported by all major news outlets. Police say the body was surrounded by drugs. Link when it becomes available.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:15 pm

Isn't he the new Joker?
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:17 pm

Wow. He must have been a huge River Phoenix fan.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:19 pm

jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:29 pm

Found in Mary Kate Olsen's apartment (she is supposedly in cali):

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/22/actor-heath-ledger-is-found-dead/
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:22 pm

Holy crap, that is shocking
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Joens » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:36 pm

and the other day i just read an article about him and his family.
Cremincus- Something completely and utterly unbelievable. Published in the B-list 2006
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:53 pm

Joens wrote:and the other day i just read an article about him and his family.

Even nuttier, I had dinner with my dad a few days before he died. Crazy shit going when people you read about or eat with end up dead one day.

Anyhow, goodbye funny man. You'll be missed.

I think all efforts should be focused on finding this guy. Find this guy and everything else falls into place:

"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:41 pm

Consigliere wrote:Isn't he the new Joker?

Yes.

Real shame.

There's been some speculation for a while that he was hooked on pain medications. Some recovering addicts on the radio have suggested that he may have been trying to kick the habit himself. Apparently medical detox is really necessary with these prescription pain medication because the withdrawal is so fierce it can be lethal.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby OSU7NCs » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:35 am

Anyhow, goodbye funny man. You'll be missed.

I think all efforts should be focused on finding this guy. Find this guy and everything else falls into place:

I don't get it.......
Connecting via dial-up is kinda like the Internet version of being Amish, LMAO!

CLICK HERE: BUCKEYE NATION
OSU7NCs
Best Damn Bucks Fan

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:50 am

I don't get it.......

his character killed Heath Ledger's character in "The Patriot".

Suspect #1 in my book.
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby OSU7NCs » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:40 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:
I don't get it.......

his character killed Heath Ledger's character in "The Patriot".

Suspect #1 in my book.

Oh now I get it....GREAT MOVIE!!!
Connecting via dial-up is kinda like the Internet version of being Amish, LMAO!

CLICK HERE: BUCKEYE NATION
OSU7NCs
Best Damn Bucks Fan

Unread postby mrburns » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:34 pm

This is so sad. Supposedly they found a bottle of sleeping pills next to his body, so you probably can't rule out suicide. Plus I remember reading that some of his work for the Joker role had messed up his sleeping patterns. That might somehow be related...
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:37 pm

He actually never slept all that often. Apparently his mind would race every night, hence the prescription sleeping pills and anxiety pills. Sad really.
MacGregor

Just hoping my child doesn't have to go grow up in a world where Cleveland Sports are terrible like I had to.
MacGregor78

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:01 pm

Also seems like he was losing his hair in last year or so. Apparently his split with his old g/f really threw him into a serious depression.

It's really ashame that people can get so caught up with living a life like that. Most of these young celebrities, their lifestyle isn't even a reality at some point.
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:13 pm

He was a good actor and only 2 years older than me. He was also suffering from Pnemonia which if you combine with a Opiate based painkiller addiction can cause fluid build up in the lungs.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby buckeyefan78 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:09 pm

You would think this guy cured cancer with all the media attention he's getting.

Who honestly cares?
buckeyefan78

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:24 pm

buckeyefan78 wrote:You would think this guy cured cancer with all the media attention he's getting.

Who honestly cares?

Obviously not you. Thanks for another quality contribution though.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:15 am

Some people who might care his fans, friends and family.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:20 am

Someone close said that he was really depressed and had nightmares over the role of Joker. The role is much different in this film than we've ever seen, much more sinister. he apparently wasn't comfortable with it.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:35 am

Spin wrote:Someone close said that he was really depressed and had nightmares over the role of Joker. The role is much different in this film than we've ever seen, much more sinister. he apparently wasn't comfortable with it.

This Joker definitely isn't the Clown Prince of Crime of old, he's a nasty piece of work more in line with the Joker of The Killing Joke or A Death in the Family. If anyone's seen Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker they'd get an idea I think. In that one the Joker tortured Tim Drake (Robin), played with his mind, essentially brain washing him. It was so bad that Batman actually reacted in such a way that he brutally murdered Joker.

I've been glad to see such a sadistic version of the Joker, but not at the expense of someone's life. If it was causing him such difficulty then it would have been best for Christopher Nolan or someone in the production to do something, but who knows how much he told them during shooting. Warner wouldn't have been happy if production had to slow or stop, but the lives of those involved are so much more important.

Ledger was a fine actor. Still shocked by it a bit a day later. It seemed in some interviews that his turn as Joker had gotten him into thinking about death a lot more. Pretty morbid stuff.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby buckeyefan78 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:34 am

Swerb wrote:
buckeyefan78 wrote:You would think this guy cured cancer with all the media attention he's getting.

Who honestly cares?

You're welcome

Here's a quality contribution for ya...

http://www.wytv.com/news/local/14066692.html

Rich, angst-ridden suicidal drug users who don't wake up for their massage really don't interest me enough to make THE NEWS.

Yes, family and friends lost someone but how in the world this has any merit for anyone else to be "moved" in the abscence of reality is beyond me.
buckeyefan78

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:45 am

Sorry for the inconvenience, next time around we'll try to get someone a little more "interesting" to perish to make the news a little more suited for your taste.
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:13 pm

buckeyefan78 wrote:
Swerb wrote:

Who honestly cares?

You're welcome

Rich, angst-ridden suicidal drug users who don't wake up for their massage really don't interest me enough to make THE NEWS.

Yes, family and friends lost someone but how in the world this has any merit for anyone else to be "moved" in the abscence of reality is beyond me.

buckeyfan78, the dude was a popular 28 year old actor that was just up for an Oscar last year.

It's news. Even in your warped and twisted world.

And here's your last warning ... stop being such a trollish asshole. You take away from every thread you post in.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:55 pm

Who honestly cares?

He was an up-and-coming actor who already has been up for an Oscar, and recently played The Joker for the new Batman flick. His work as The Joker is something I can't wait to see as from the snippets from the trailers it looks incredible.

Anytime a celebrity dies, especially at such a young age, it is news. And, your preconceived assumptions of this being another suicidal junkie may be completely wrong right now, as there are reports his death was an "accident" and not a "suicide". Apparently, prescribed drugs to treat severe cases of insomnia and anxiety proved lethal, at least that is what the early prognosis is. I think this is horrible, as he appeared to lead a clean life, but some of his personal issues with insomnia and anxiety (symptoms like these which affect a lot of us) did him in.

If you don't care, don't post. I'll never understand why people have to go out of their way to openly express they don't care about a particular thread. Others do, so if you don't care about a particular subject, don't post in it or read it. That is the beauty of threads, as you can avoid them without looking at them.
consigliere

Unread postby buckeyefan78 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:57 pm

Swerb wrote:
buckeyefan78 wrote:
Swerb wrote:

Who honestly cares?

You're welcome

buckeyfan78, the dude was a popular 28 year old actor that was just up for an Oscar last year.

And here's your last warning ... stop being such a trollish asshole. You take away from every thread you post in.

My "warped and twisted world" ends when I see wall to wall coverage of a suicide/death by APPARENT stupidity of someone who had no bearing on anything.

He was in movies...fine. The guy who played Sam from The Brady Bunch died last week too. People die everyday.

The idea it's BIG news or even beyond a blurb is outrageous. Aside from looking forward to seeing a movie he was in that won't get completed I have no idea how anyone would bother to care aside from family and friends.

Thanks for the warning and derogatory remark though. Always good to see so-called brass using such discretion.
buckeyefan78

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:11 pm

The guy who played Sam from The Brady Bunch died last week too.

Did he really?!!

Damn...... hold on..... one second.....
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby buckeyefan78 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:16 pm

Consigliere wrote:

Who honestly cares?

He was an up-and-coming actor who already has been up for an Oscar, and recently played The Joker for the new Batman flick. His work as The Joker is something I can't wait to see as from the snippets from the trailers it looks incredible.

Anytime a celebrity dies, especially at such a young age, it is news. And, your preconceived assumptions of this being another suicidal junkie may be completely wrong right now, as there are reports his death was an "accident" and not a "suicide". Apparently, prescribed drugs to treat severe cases of insomnia and anxiety proved lethal, at least that is what the early prognosis is. I think this is horrible, as he appeared to lead a clean life, but some of his personal issues with insomnia and anxiety (symptoms like these which affect a lot of us) did him in.

If you don't care, don't post. I'll never understand why people have to go out of their way to openly express they don't care about a particular thread. Others do, so if you don't care about a particular subject, don't post in it or read it. That is the beauty of threads, as you can avoid them without looking at them.

To make this clear my original point was MEDIA COVERAGE....NOT THE COVERAGE IN HERE.

Actually the discussion in here has been very subdued and reasonable in the sense that "it sucked" but I just take issue (and feel free to comment cuz this was the gist of the deal) with the wall to wall MEDIA COVERAGE.

My comment had SOCIAL SIGNIFICANCE to it cuz it pertained to the media (an alleged agent of society). You guys can post whatever you want. I found the discussion about the Joker to be interesting. Good. That's it. Nothing more unless someone in here is going to his funeral.

See the point?
buckeyefan78

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:22 pm

buckeyefan78 wrote:My "warped and twisted world" ends when I see wall to wall coverage of a suicide/death by APPARENT stupidity of someone who had no bearing on anything....The idea it's BIG news or even beyond a blurb is outrageous. Aside from looking forward to seeing a movie he was in that won't get completed I have no idea how anyone would bother to care aside from family and friends.

The story has dominated the TV the last 48 hours since it happens, so I think it safe to say many people care besides his family and friends.

He is The Joker in the upcoming Batman movie, and looks to have been marvelous in the role. He was one of the top young actors under 30. And, most importantly, it is looking like this was not a suicide but an accidental death. In any case, it is a tragedy.

Plus, if it were a former popular Buckeye football player "who had no bearing on anything" I'm sure it would have mattered to you (but not to many). Just sayin.
consigliere

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:25 pm

I agree wholeheartedly.

First the media came out that there were pills laying all around him.

Later they said there was a bottle of prescription sleeping pills IN THE ROOM. not an empty bottle, just a bottle.

Let's just libel a dead person because, well, we're the media and that's what we do.

Hey, there's a beer in my fridge. I guess someone like CBS19 would say that I'm an alcoholic and drive around drunk running people over.
Spin

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:28 pm

Let's get the farmost authority on parenting and young actors perspective on this. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the blog of WWF legend, The Ultimate Warrior.....

http://www.ultimatewarrior.com/blog/2008/01/23/dead-long-before-28/
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby buckeyefan78 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:50 pm

Consigliere wrote:
buckeyefan78 wrote:My "warped and twisted world" ends when I see wall to wall coverage of a suicide/death by APPARENT stupidity of someone who had no bearing on anything....The idea it's BIG news or even beyond a blurb is outrageous. Aside from looking forward to seeing a movie he was in that won't get completed I have no idea how anyone would bother to care aside from family and friends.

The story has dominated the TV the last 48 hours since it happens, so I think it safe to say many people care besides his family and friends.

He is The Joker in the upcoming Batman movie, and looks to have been marvelous in the role. He was one of the top young actors under 30. And, most importantly, it is looking like this was not a suicide but an accidental death. In any case, it is a tragedy.

Plus, if it were a former popular Buckeye football player "who had no bearing on anything" I'm sure it would have mattered to you (but not to many). Just sayin.

True that it has dominated the news the past 48 hours. Do we care? Should we care? Are there more important issues out there that the media (in a privileged and some would say RESPONSIBLE position) should be covering?

That was my point. Again, I enjoyed the discussion of his MOVIE ROLES in this thread. That's it. I didn't care either way the guy was dead cuz his role wasn't real.

Even if it was an accident and not suicide (I don't know and don't care) why would that matter to any of us? What percentage of Americans (the world at large) live his lifestyle which could possibly have ramifications on the way others live?

.05%?

Hell, I don't know. Aside from it getting out knowledge that you don't mix drug A with drug B (knowledge available from the pharmicist BTW) this has nothing to do with anything.

My point is there is nothing to be gained here SOCIALLY speaking. The story has no merit on anything relative to us.

And if it was a former Buckeye it would "suck" but nothing more...like this. I've lived thru the deaths of many people whose medium/work I enjoyed: Lennon, Cobain, Bo just last year... but whatever the circumstances were I never felt any of them should have got wall to wall media coverage like this...which they did.

Hell, and you're telling me Lennon or Cobain didn't actually impact society more than this guy?

But it doesn't hit me in the gut like it apparently has to the folks on tv talking about this 24/7.

Am I the only person to have had real problems in life?

:?:
buckeyefan78

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:29 pm

Buckeye: He didn't mean anything to you. That's fine, we get it. But it IS news.

Whenever somebody you know dies, it's a huge deal to you. You know them, and then all of the sudden they're not there anymore. It's especially difficult if it comes in a surprising manner to someone so young (i.e. a car crash, getting shot during a robbery, or, yes, suicide). Now, don't get me wrong. I didn't know Heath Ledger, and neither did anyone else on these boards. But since we've seen his movies, heard about his personal life, and some people have met him once or twice, it makes people THINK that they know him. And since so many people think they know him, it makes it news.

It's not more or less tragic than some girl in North Dakota dying under the exact same circumstances, whatever they happen to be. The people that knew her are going to be sad, and it's going to be huge news to them. But because there aren't anywhere near as many people who know her, it's just not going to make anything more than the local news, if that.

And in no way is anyone suggesting that this is more important than the war, or the economy, or the election. It's not, we all know that. But it IS news, because of so many people "knowing" him, because of his age and the circumstances surrounding his death, and because of his being a current public figure, based on his roles in movies, and his role in what was already going to be one of the biggest movies of next year.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:05 pm

He did strike a nerve with that message.

How many soldiers fighting for our freedom (or whatever reason our government sent them to fight for) are dying every day much younger than him?

You can go weeks without hearing about the WAR. But let some famous person die, or wear the wrong hat to a baseball game, and it's front page news for weeks.
Spin

Unread postby Indians88 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:29 pm

Spin wrote:He did strike a nerve with that message.

How many soldiers fighting for our freedom (or whatever reason our government sent them to fight for) are dying every day much younger than him?

You can go weeks without hearing about the WAR. But let some famous person die, or wear the wrong hat to a baseball game, and it's front page news for weeks.

Ya and the only reason we're not hearing about the war is because it's going well right now. You bet yours ass if casualty numbers went up again rather than keep on going down (which it has been doing for some time) we'd all be nauseated with how terrible the war is, and how stupid Bush is, and how amazing our troops are. It's pretty ridiculous. The only time our troops get any credit is when the casualty numbers are high and a fair amount are dying, yet when they are over there kicking ass and taking names, you hear absolutely squat about how great there doing over there, nor do you hear any major battles won or soldier stories. The difference between how the media portrays our troops and military in this day and age as compared to WWII and every other conflict prior to Vietnam absolutely makes me want to throw up.
Indians88

Favorite Player: Eddie Murray
Least Favorite Player: Paul O'Neal

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:45 pm

Ya and the only reason we're not hearing about the war is because it's going well right now. You bet yours ass if casualty numbers went up again rather than keep on going down (which it has been doing for some time) we'd all be nauseated with how terrible the war is, and how stupid Bush is, and how amazing our troops are. It's pretty ridiculous. The only time our troops get any credit is when the casualty numbers are high and a fair amount are dying, yet when they are over there kicking ass and taking names, you hear absolutely squat about how great there doing over there, nor do you hear any major battles won or soldier stories. The difference between how the media portrays our troops and military in this day and age as compared to WWII and every other conflict prior to Vietnam absolutely makes me want to throw up.

The war isnt going well it never will till we leave. The violence against troops in Baghdad has dropped but its spread to other areas its like Whack A Mole. Bush is stupid and should be tried for treason and the murder of American troops based on a fucking lie. The reason Iraq has moved to the back burner is because of the election its all about the politics. My brother serves in Iraq and hes seen several friends die or loose limbs in these chickenshit IED attacks he went back not to fight for Bush or even this country he went back to be with his other brothers. Anyone who says its going well should have their head examined we have lost 4,000 Americans. Wise up sir.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby CarolinaTribe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:50 pm

buckeyefan78 wrote:
Swerb wrote:
buckeyefan78 wrote:
Swerb wrote:

Who honestly cares?

You're welcome

My "warped and twisted world" ends when I see wall to wall coverage of a suicide/death by APPARENT stupidity of someone who had no bearing on anything.

He was in movies...fine. The guy who played Sam from The Brady Bunch died last week too. People die everyday.

The idea it's BIG news or even beyond a blurb is outrageous. Aside from looking forward to seeing a movie he was in that won't get completed I have no idea how anyone would bother to care aside from family and friends.

Thanks for the warning and derogatory remark though. Always good to see so-called brass using such discretion.

You are the one making derogatory remarks. If you have ever known anyone who has had an addiction--though uncertain thats what it was, you have to assume--they are very difficult to handle. It isn't a matter of stupidity.
CarolinaTribe

Unread postby Indians88 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:58 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

The war isnt going well it never will till we leave. The violence against troops in Baghdad has dropped but its spread to other areas its like Whack A Mole. Bush is stupid and should be tried for treason and the murder of American troops based on a fucking lie. The reason Iraq has moved to the back burner is because of the election its all about the politics. My brother serves in Iraq and hes seen several friends die or loose limbs in these chickenshit IED attacks he went back not to fight for Bush or even this country he went back to be with his other brothers. Anyone who says its going well should have their head examined we have lost 4,000 Americans. Wise up sir.

First off, please tell your brother that he is in my families prayers and also tell me thanks on our behalf.

Second, my point is not whether or not we should have gone there in the first place, my point is that the media only talks about how great our military is and how brave they are only when a lot of them are dying. You never hear about our boys when things are going well, and that is what I think is sick. They spend more time talking about Brittaney Spears than they do spending time talking about our troops.

And Third, I'm sorry but you are wrong about how things are going over there. My older brother has been there since the start and he tells me the difference between when we first went there and now is like night and day. The Iraqi's want to have there freedom, but they need our help to do it. Just like the American Revolution, America needed help from the French big time. The terrorists may be targeting our troops over there, but the sick reality is that if they weren't there they would be targeting American lives in the USA, just like 9-11. So don't try to tell me that our American soldiers are dying in vain.

If that wasn't enough for you, take a bite out of this:

WOUNDED DEATHS
World War I 204,002 53,402
World War II 671,846 291,557
Korean Conflict 103,284 33,741
Vietnam Conflict 153,303 47,424
----------------------------------------------------------------
Iraq 28,773 3,855

And here are the numbers for 2007 in Iraq:
Deaths Wounded
January 82 714
February 81 398
March 75 637
April 102 776
May 121 591
June 98 669
July 75 654
August 77 658
September 62 347
October 37 376
November 35 244
December 23* 144*

*Lowest total since war began

The loss of American life is a terrible, horrible thing, but to say that this conflict is worse or even on par with Vietnam is just simply untrue. Not to mention saying that Iraq is an unjustifiable war, because no war is justifiable in a human sense. Once again thanks to our troops (we owe them everything) especially your brother and mine.

Here are my sources:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... alties.htm
http://www.americanfamilytraditions.com ... alties.htm
Indians88

Favorite Player: Eddie Murray
Least Favorite Player: Paul O'Neal

Unread postby buckeyefan78 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:14 pm

CarolinaTribe wrote:
buckeyefan78 wrote:
Swerb wrote:
buckeyefan78 wrote:
Swerb wrote:

Who honestly cares?

You're welcome

You are the one making derogatory remarks. If you have ever known anyone who has had an addiction--though uncertain thats what it was, you have to assume--they are very difficult to handle. It isn't a matter of stupidity.

And if it was addiction, how does that relate to other people in the U.S./world with addiction?

I guarantee you 99.9% of those people can't relate to the means and measures of addiction that a Hollywood millionaire goes thru.

There is nothing to learn or gain here. Whatever the cause of death was or whatever the circumstances were the overwhelming % of people on earth can get absolutely nothing from it. The media is basically telling us a story that .0001% of the population can relate to.

Ok, a guy died. Sorry to the family/friends. Media coverage should be a blurb on the scroll if anything.
buckeyefan78

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:36 pm

buckeyefan78 wrote:And if it was addiction, how does that relate to other people in the U.S./world with addiction?

I guarantee you 99.9% of those people can't relate to the means and measures of addiction that a Hollywood millionaire goes thru.

There is nothing to learn or gain here. Whatever the cause of death was or whatever the circumstances were the overwhelming % of people on earth can get absolutely nothing from it. The media is basically telling us a story that .0001% of the population can relate to.

Ok, a guy died. Sorry to the family/friends. Media coverage should be a blurb on the scroll if anything.

Newsflash: It is because he is a celebrity. These people are so ingrained in our lives because of the movies we watch, TV shows we watch, radio shows we listen to, sports we watch, and music we listen to that when something happens to just about any of them....it is freaking news.

There is a HUGE difference between Sean Taylor getting gunned down in his own home compared to some random person in Idaho getting gunned down in their own home. There is a HUGE difference between Chris Benoit going on roid rage and murdering his family and then committing suicide compare to some average person in Lima, OH doing the same thing. And, there is a HUGE difference between a famous actor losing his life at freaking 28 years of age (regardless of cause) than some 28-year old random person in NYC suffering the same fate.

Look, you have made your point. You don't care. Move on already. The underlying theme here though is a famous person under 28 lost their life, and while you don't think it is relevant or newsworthy, many here do. Quit being so argumentive.
consigliere

Unread postby buckeyefan78 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:43 pm

Consigliere wrote:
buckeyefan78 wrote:And if it was addiction, how does that relate to other people in the U.S./world with addiction?

Newsflash: It is because he is a celebrity. These people are so ingrained in our lives because of the movies we watch, TV shows we watch, radio shows we listen to, sports we watch, and music we listen to that when something happens to just about any of them....it is freaking news.

There is a HUGE difference between Sean Taylor getting gunned down in his own home compared to some random person in Idaho getting gunned down in their own home. There is a HUGE difference between Chris Benoit going on roid rage and murdering his family and then committing suicide compare to some average person in Lima, OH doing the same thing. And, there is a HUGE difference between a famous actor losing his life at freaking 28 years of age (regardless of cause) than some 28-year old random person in NYC suffering the same fate.

Look, you have made your point. You don't care. Move on already. The underlying theme here though is a famous person under 28 lost their life, and while you don't think it is relevant or newsworthy, many here do. Quit being so argumentive.

I'm bringing up the issue of celebrity by relating it to the media and airwaves.

Doesn't journalism play an important role in society and the values we hold?

Do we want there to "be a huge difference" as you call it?

Do you see the way the game is played now as detrimental or helpful to society?

That's the point. Excuse me if I wanted to go a little deeper than just saying:

"wow, he died"

:roll :roll:

My personal take on it was even in the world of celebrity I was a bit taken back by how much coverage it got.

Again...asking questions about the role of the media and what we value isn't argumentative IMO. If you think so, fine. Eat it up. It's your right as it is mine to question it.
buckeyefan78

Unread postby mrburns » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:02 pm

buckeyefan78 wrote:I'm bringing up the issue of celebrity by relating it to the media and airwaves.

Doesn't journalism play an important role in society and the values we hold?

Do we want there to "be a huge difference" as you call it?

Do you see the way the game is played now as detrimental or helpful to society?

That's the point. Excuse me if I wanted to go a little deeper than just saying:

"wow, he died"

:roll :roll:

My personal take on it was even in the world of celebrity I was a bit taken back by how much coverage it got.

Again...asking questions about the role of the media and what we value isn't argumentative IMO. If you think so, fine. Eat it up. It's your right as it is mine to question it.

Dude, were you around when Anna Nicole died? She was WAY less significant than Ledger, who was a very gifted young actor, and her demise received WAY more coverage. Hell, Britney Spears' shaved head received more airtime than Ledger's passing has. This is nothing.

I agree with you that our celebrity culture can be maddening at times, but in the age of 24/7 cable news, there just aren't enough legitimate stories to fill the day. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

But by all accounts Ledger was not a bad guy, and had developed some problems of late. Maybe he was driven to commit suicide, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, not even that quarterback for the Steelers. I don't see your beef with people saying "Ledger's death is tragic" on this thread. Like many have said above, if you don't like it, just don't comment.

If you browse this forum regularly, you know that there's been a ton of interest/discussion regarding this summer's Batman sequel, in which Ledger's performance will be integral. This thread is more than appropriate. Let it go.
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby El Heffe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:02 pm

I think you have to factor in the shock level here. For all intents & purposes heath Ledger was an actor who was on the straight & narrow and was never in the tabloids for a bad reason. All we heard about him was his movies and how good he was.

Now if it were Britney Spears or that Brad Renfro who passed a few weeks ago and had previous arrests/drug problems/alochol issues that were well documunted, we'd all say: "Well, saw that coming."

This was an out of left field passing.
El Heffe

Favorite Player: Bob Golic
Least Favorite Player: Welkahh!!!!

Unread postby municipalmutt » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:06 pm

I guess maybe I'm old and out of touch because I have never heard of the kid and words like "star" and celebrity" are tossed out there a little too easy these days. Just try watching "Dancing with the Stars" sometime.

Still, he was young and it is a tragedy that he had his whole life in front of him and his potential was never realized.
municipalmutt

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:42 am

First off, please tell your brother that he is in my families prayers and also tell me thanks on our behalf.

Thank you sir I respect your opinion I just disagree I was heated earlier. I've tried to get him to post here in his downtime but most of that is spent playing poker and watching sports. He is a HUGE Ohio sports fan. On behalf of him and my family I thank you for kind words. I believe your are stand-up American who wants the best for the soldiers and they know the vast majority of this country wants the best for them.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby CarolinaTribe » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:39 am

I guess my only thing is you can't blame the media, because there is a reason they are covering it so heavily. Same reason the Yankees/Red Sox are going to be on ESPN instead of the Royals/Devil Rays.

They cover what people care about. If there wasn't a strong reaction the Ledger death, they would of ceased to cover it. There was, so they continued coverage. Blame the people who are watching, not the media.
CarolinaTribe

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:56 pm

Wow, this thread took off.

Buckeye, it's all about ratings. It's the big buzz in Hollywood. Hollywood is a huge industry and people tune in to the news to find out what's going on in all facets of news. If Heath Ledger coverage gets more viewers for MSNBC while the Communist News Network (CNN) talks about something going on in China, the networks know that and will show what is going to be watched.

Regardless, that's television news. You might as well get used to it.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture