Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

2008 Best Picture Nominations

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

2008 Best Picture Nominations

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:45 am

I have MSNBC on, and just caught the live release of the Oscar nominations. The five up for best picture are:

Atonement
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood
Michael Clayton
Juno
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:29 am

Not really surprised by anything.

Disappointed that "Sweeney Todd" didn't get nominated, but given the tone of it, and the fact that it's from Tim Burton, I really wasn't expecting that.

"No Country for Old Men" will probably be the favorite...but I already look at it like "Brokeback Mountain" from two years ago...the early favorite, but it's been so overhyped, and I just don't think it's as good as some critics claim it to be.

"There Will Be Blood" will most likely get Daniel Day-Lewis another Best Actor award, but I think the movie is all about him, and take away his extraordinary performance, and there may not be enough left. Haven't seen it yet, so I shouldn't pre-judge...just what I'm hearing.

I'd love to see "Juno" sneak in there and win, but like "Little Miss Sunshine", "Sideways", and "The Full Monty", it'll just have to be happy to get the nomination.

Heard very good things about "Atonement"...I'll be watching it this weekend.

"Michael Clayton" was, in my opinion, the best picture of the year, but I've still got two more to see.

I get the feeling that it'll be a three movie race between "No Country", "Atonement", and "Michael Clayton".

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:19 pm

That's one of the better lists that I can remember from the past few years. There were some fine films released last year - I think more than usual.

I would have liked to have seen 3:10 to Yuma on the list, but those are all probably very worthy. I haven't seen them all. I should go watch Michael Clayton with all the great things I've heard about it.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:40 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:I would have liked to have seen 3:10 to Yuma on the list, but those are all probably very worthy. I haven't seen them all. I should go watch Michael Clayton with all the great things I've heard about it.

3:10 to Yuma was one of only three films I gave a 4 football rating to this season.

But I knew it just didn't have the buzz that some of those other films had...I have no idea why, it was great.

You'll be able to catch Michael Clayton back at the theater this week, as they're re-releasing it to 1500 theaters nation-wide.

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture