Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

The White Album > Sgt Pepper

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Which album was The Beatles best?

The White Album
46%
Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
54%

Total votes : 13

The White Album > Sgt Pepper

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:10 pm

Discuss.....
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Chris Perez

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:18 pm

I agree.

Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:22 pm

lol well it has Chuck's seal of approval we know that
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Chris Perez

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:51 pm

Neither. I'd take Revolver or Abbey Road over [edit]The White Album[/edit] or Sgt. Pepper.

For the record, I think Abbey Road is the best album the Beatles recorded.

I'd take Sgt. Pepper over the White Album in quality. There's some great stuff on the White Album, but there's also some really tremendous crap. Wild Honey Pie, Revolution #9, Why Don't We Do It In The Road, Glass Onion, Martha My Dear, Savoy Truffle, Cry Baby Cry, Honey Pie, and I Will are all either blah or outright bad. I'm also not a huge fan of Sexy Sady. Love Back in the USSR, Dear Prudence, Bungalow Bill, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Helter Skelter, Birthday, Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey. I'm in the middle on Obla-Di Obla-da.

If the Beatles would have made it a single record album instead of a double it would have been a lot better. Sgt. Pepper is far more cohesive as a work. Things fit together and play off each other quite well. There's more fun to be had there along with the seriousness of the grand finale, A Day In The Life.
Last edited by Mr. MacPhisto on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby yogi » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:51 am

I'd rate Rubber Soul as the Beatles best album.

Rubber Soul was released before Revolver and Pepper and it was that album that transcended the Beatles from a "pop" and Rock & Roll Band with catchy tunes to a heavy hitter and artists that had something truly special going on.

Tracks included Norweigen Wood, Nowhere Man, Drive My Car, In My Life & Michelle. Lennon's writing was becoming introspective. Harrison's work raised more than a few notches as well.

Revolver is a close 2nd on my list with Abbey Road 3rd. IMO.

However, there's no denying Peppers place in history, it was really the first time an "album" was the thing for the masses of people to buy instead of 45s. A concept album with theming, it had everyone buzzing. This had never been done before. You couldn't sit and listen to a song, you had to listen to the entire album.

The White Album is a collection of great songs but had some of the spottier material included as well. George Martin (Beatles producer) always said it would've made one helluva great single album.

I could go on and on about these guys. I grew up on their music.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby Scott_Sargent » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:59 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:Neither. I'd take Revolver or Abbey Road over Abbey Road or Sgt. Pepper.

Right with you on this. But if I had to choose one of the above, Sgt. Pepper by a longshot.
Scott_Sargent
Got a minute?

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:46 pm

For the record here is how I'd rate the Beatles albums based on records originally released in the UK (the US versions in the 1960s and beyond were different than what the Beatles envisioned due to the US generally having 12 songs on an album versus 14 in the UK - Sgt. Pepper changed this by having 13).

1. Abbey Road
2. Revolver
3. Rubber Soul
4. Sgt. Pepper
5. A Hard Day's Night
6. Let It Be
7. Help
8. The Beatles (White Album)
9. With the Beatles
10. Please Please Me
11. Beatles for Sale

I'd rank Magical Mystery Tour somewhere between Sgt. Pepper and The White Album, but it was a US only release in LP for, released in Britain as an EP that featured Magical Mystery Tour, Your Mother Should Know, I am the Walrus, Flying, and Blue Jay Way. The US LP made it infinitely better by including Hello, Goodbye and the Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields double single while also featuring All You Need Is Love. I've always like Baby You're a Rich Man as well. The TV special that the Beatles did call Magical Mystery Tour was horrible. Rented it on video a decade ago and was appalled.

I usually don't count Yellow Submarine as a Beatles album, though I do like Harrison's Only a Northern Song and Lennon's Hey Bulldog.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby yogi » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:02 pm

I'd Pretty much agree with your ranking save for switching Rubber Soul & Abbey Road.

A note on your choice for the lowest ranked album.
The Beatles were being pressed for material and were touring non-stop. Nearly half the songs on the album were cover songs that they did in their sleep when playing all night at the German nightspots.

Still, a few of my favorites are among them. "No Reply", "I'm a Loser" & "Eight Days a Week".

Track listing
All songs credited to John Lennon and Paul McCartney, except where noted.

[edit] Side one
"No Reply" – 2:15
"I'm a Loser" – 2:31
"Baby's in Black" – 2:02
"Rock and Roll Music" (Chuck Berry) – 2:03
"I'll Follow the Sun" – 1:46
"Mr. Moonlight" (Roy Lee Johnson) – 2:33
"Kansas City/Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey" (Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, Richard Penniman) – 2:33

[edit] Side two
"Eight Days a Week" – 2:43
"Words of Love" (Buddy Holly) – 2:12
"Honey Don't" (Carl Perkins) – 2:55
"Every Little Thing" – 2:01
"I Don't Want to Spoil the Party" – 2:33
"What You're Doing" – 2:30
"Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby" (Carl Perkins) – 2:23
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:54 pm

yogi wrote:I'd Pretty much agree with your ranking save for switching Rubber Soul & Abbey Road.

I sometimes switch them around myself. The top three are pretty fluid in my eyes, though Harrison's fantastic contributions on Abbey Road and the suite on Side B generally swing me in that direction.

A note on your choice for the lowest ranked album.
The Beatles were being pressed for material and were touring non-stop. Nearly half the songs on the album were cover songs that they did in their sleep when playing all night at the German nightspots.

Still, a few of my favorites are among them. "No Reply", "I'm a Loser" & "Eight Days a Week".

Track listing
All songs credited to John Lennon and Paul McCartney, except where noted.

[edit] Side one
"No Reply" – 2:15
"I'm a Loser" – 2:31
"Baby's in Black" – 2:02
"Rock and Roll Music" (Chuck Berry) – 2:03
"I'll Follow the Sun" – 1:46
"Mr. Moonlight" (Roy Lee Johnson) – 2:33
"Kansas City/Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey" (Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, Richard Penniman) – 2:33

[edit] Side two
"Eight Days a Week" – 2:43
"Words of Love" (Buddy Holly) – 2:12
"Honey Don't" (Carl Perkins) – 2:55
"Every Little Thing" – 2:01
"I Don't Want to Spoil the Party" – 2:33
"What You're Doing" – 2:30
"Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby" (Carl Perkins) – 2:23

Have you read Mark Hertsgaard's book, A Day In The Life: The Music and Artistry of the Beatles? If not it is a great read. He was given access to the archives at Abbey Road and compiled a fantastic documentation on the Beatle's recordings. The did more in less than ten years than most artists do in 30.

I agree on Beatles for Sale. I also like Baby's In Black pretty well. Eight Days a Week is one of my favorites. There were signs of John's introspection here too with I'm a Loser.

The bottom three on that list are all pretty good, just not as good as later works. Some songs do rise to those levels with McCartney's All My Loving being one of the best he's ever written IMHO, making With the Beatles my top early record.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby municipalmutt » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:24 pm

Voted for Sgt Pepper since there was no other choice. As was said, the white album had a lot of material to make it a double album but most of it was crap.

My order:
1. Revolver
2. Rubber Soul
3. Abbey Road
4. Magical Mystery Tour (with added singles)
5. Sgt Pepper
6. Let It Be (naked version without the Spector shit)
7. Help
8. Please Please Me
9. A hard Day's Night
10. The White Album
municipalmutt

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:34 am

Got dragged to see "Beattle Love" in Vegas.....the music was INCREDIBLE. Panoramic sound and cleanest versions of these songs I have ever heard. The actual show sucked monkey balls, but man, it was great to hear the Beattle tunes in such a way.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture