Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Grindhouse---Death Proof

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Grindhouse---Death Proof

Unread postby mrburns » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:13 am

Just watched this, still need to get Planet Terror off of Netflix. I had heard from a friend that Rodriguez's "Planet Terror" was better than Tarantino's "Death Proof", but I love Tarantino (Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill are two of my favorites) and Kurt Russell is my favorite actor (he's had a couple of clunker roles over the years, but he's really versatile, has played some serious badasses, I love his work in the '80s John Carpenter flicks, and he's a really norma, down-to-earth dude), so I didn't heed my buddy's warning.

First, the good: great car chase at the end, and that stuntwoman who was surfing on the Charger (it was the real actress, she's actually a stuntwoman) was pretty impressive. Kurt Russell, when he's in the movie, was solid as usual. Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Bruce Willis' daughter in Die Hard 4) and Rosario Dawson are both pretty hot, no complaints there. And the whole "shitty movie reel" effect was kind of cool.

But what the fuck, Tarantino? Honestly. This did not need to be 105 minutes long. It got to the point where I was begging for Kurt Russell to kill the first set of girls. Shut up already! I know that dialogue is probably Tarantino's biggest trademark, but somebody didn't have the balls to tell him to leave about 20 minutes of this movie on the cutting room floor.

How under-utilized was Kurt Russell? He's great when he's actually in the movie, but all Tarantino basically needed was a tough looking guy with a fake scar on his face, and he wasted Russell's immense talent. Same for Mary Elizabeth Winstead, she was basically just eye candy. She's smokin, so that's not a problem, but she wasn't really necessary.

Like I said, I still need to rent "Planet Terror". Personally, I've never been as high on Robert Rodriguez as some. He's the personification of style over substance, in my opinion. I wasn't as in love with Sin City as many, and while the El Mariachi movies were fun, they weren't anything ground breaking. Rodriguez got a little carried away with his cutesy editing in Once Upon a Time In Mexico. But I'll definitely give Planet Terror a shot.
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby Joens » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:03 am

i heard planet of terror sucked dick.

maybe its just what i heard.
Cremincus- Something completely and utterly unbelievable. Published in the B-list 2006
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:03 pm

Death Proof sucked...part of my "bottom 5" for the year.

Allburn's right...Quentin got so enamoured with his "hip talk from chicks", that he bored the hell out of everyone. I thought that frickin' bar scene with the first set of girls was NEVER going to end. It was like Oprah with tourrettes.

Final chase scene was awesome, but it just brought to light how bad the rest of the movie was in comparison.

I may catch "Planet Terror" on DVR whenever it reaches the premium (not PPV) channels on DirecTV.

No desire to waste a spot on my Netflix queue for it.

Unread postby Indians88 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:29 pm

I saw grindhouse in the theater when it came our.

Planet Terror was absolutely better than Death Proof. You have to take it for what it is though, a ridiculous spoof on every terrible sci-fi/action/80's movie ever made. I'd say it's worth watching just to see the ridiculous shit that happens in it.
Indians88

Favorite Player: Eddie Murray
Least Favorite Player: Paul O'Neal

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture