Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Juno

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Juno

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:26 pm

I've been waiting to see this for months and I can honestly say it surpassed my expectations, which movies seldom do. Better than Little Miss Sunshine, IMO. (Very similar movie type though).

Anyone else catch it yet?

Disclaimer: I am a generation Yer, meaning I am probably more open to movies of this type.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:20 pm

Yes, saw it with elder son yesterday. Brilliant. I see few films without small children involved (in this vein, though, I'd recommend "Enchanted"), so I can't compare it to others, but the characters were well-formed, the dialogue sparkling, the music winsome, and the conflicts were realistic and their resolutions were charming. I loved Michael Cera in the role as Michael Cera, and thought Simmons and Janney were excellent as the parent/step-parent. And Ellen Page was wonderful.

Brilliantly written. Exceptional. I think my son was expecting something different (something more Judd Apatow) and left impressed.

Ironically, one of the previews was the sixth consecutive film in which Matthew McConaghey does not act, but rather is Matthew McConaghey. Nice work if you can get it, I suppose.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:12 pm

I'm with you on the brilliant stuff. Seldom do I leave a movie just that flat out impressed. And the character development was absolutely exceptional, especially considering how unbelievable a character like Juno is and the fact that you come away at the end accepting her as genuine.

It will be robbery if it doesn't get a best picture nomination and I have seen Gone Baby Gone and No Country.

Steve Buffum wrote:Ironically, one of the previews was the sixth consecutive film in which Matthew McConaghey does not act, but rather is Matthew McConaghey. Nice work if you can get it, I suppose.

I caught this as well. It made my head hurt.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:19 pm

And on the Judd Apatow stuff, this is a genuine fear I have about how this film is ultimately judged. The marketing as of late has made it feel somewhat Apatowesque and it certainly is not that type of film. Something tells me there are a lot of people going to this film with improper expectations.

My other fear you helped with and that is people older than me being able to handle the unique, strange, and youthful slang without screaming.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Guest » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:09 pm

Excellent, excellent movie.

I'll get a review up in the next few days for it, but I was highly impressed.

I'm not sure if a 20 year old has ever gotten a Best Actress nomination in her first starring role, but Ellen Page deserves one.

Unread postby CarolinaTribe » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:41 am

This was one of the best movies of the year. I challenge anyone to go see it and not come away overwhelmed by Page's performance.
CarolinaTribe

Unread postby CarolinaTribe » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:53 am

I really hope she wins the SAG award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role as well as Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture(Musical or Comedy) at the Golden Globes.

She's been nominated for both, so hopefully a good January is in store for her.
CarolinaTribe

Unread postby cms2718 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:40 pm

going into this movie i was waiting to be disappointed, b/c i felt that it had been over-hyped. well i must say that as a whole i enjoyed the movie but felt that it didn't live up to my expectations (this is probably due to all the hype i heard about it before hand, or maybe it was the audience who ruined it for me)

i have only two issues with this movie
1. way juno would talke - what kind of 16 yr old talks like that i mean seriously (i have a sister around that same age and thank god she doesn't talk like that)

2. the music- now i like some "indie" music but that stuff was down right terrible
cms2718
Still calls it The Jake

Unread postby mrburns » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:38 pm

This was an excellent film. Ellen Page absolutely deserves a Best Actress nomination. If you don't love her character by the end of the movie, you need to check your pulse. Two other performances I really liked were JK Simmons as Juno's dad and Jennifer Garner as Vanessa.

I was worried they were going to turn Vanessa into that stereotypical bitchy yuppy, but it turns out I was way off. Hats off to Garner for making me believe that initially, then slowly changing my opinion. I've never thought Garner was anything special as an actress, but she nailed this role.

Simmons' performance as Juno's dad was completely effortless. You just believed he was that guy. Great scene when he's trying to explain true love to Juno, and I loved his reaction to her being pregnant, basically laughing at the fact that Bleeker knocked her up.

And one more guy that deserves some love is director Jason Reitman, the son of the guy who directed Ghostbusters. This is the second terrific movie Reitman has directed consecutively, the first being 2005's Thank You For Smoking, which mostly flew under the radar. I'll definitely shell out my seven dollars for whatever Reitman directs next, and I may have to Netflix some of his older movies to see if they're any good.

And cms2718, you're right about the music. I saw a review on Rotten Tomatoes that said he felt like Juno was trying to concoct another "Garden State" soundtrack. I'm not sure if that's true, but it definitely felt that way. The problem here is that all the indie music in Juno was shit, whereas in Garden State it really added to the movie.
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture