Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

MP3 players

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

MP3 players

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:08 pm

OK who has em and what do you have?

I am in the market for a good one, big big hard drive (60GB minimum), hopefully with jpg viewing, videos are not of concern for me right now. Also interested in the FM tuner accessory.

Best Buy carries shit, at least they had shit today.

I will not buy an IPod, there are better products on the market.

I like the model Creative Labs had last year but it seems hard to find now.

Zune seems OK but cannot find one locally and I prefer to avoid any shipping costs, shipping is just ridiculous anymore.

Any suggestions?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby swerb » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:45 pm

My stepdad just got one of those ITouch things.

It was four bones, but god damn if that thing ain't awesome.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:37 pm

I have an 80 gig IPod....but you said you ain't interested in them. So, I can't be of better help.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby municipalmutt » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:21 pm

I've got the 2gb version of this one. It was around 40 bucks. FYI I heard the the creative labs zen models were being discontinued.
I don't need huge storage capability since I store my music on an external hardrive. This thing is tiny and clips to your shirt.

municipalmutt

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:51 pm

muni I saw that one today, was not a big fan, mainly b/c of capacity.

Here is what I am leaning toward.

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=15752

60GB is a bit pricey at $399 but I need at least 40GB and the only other choice is 30GB at $299.

I don't think I'll get what I want for under $350 any time soon.

FUDU

Unread postby municipalmutt » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:16 pm

Wow 400 bucks for 60gb of storage? Shit, you can get a 1TB external usb hard drive for around 250 dollars. 500 gig ones are going for around a hundred these days.

Unless you really have to have ALL of your tunes with you at all times, I can't see getting an mp3 player with more than a couple gig of storage. I'll make a play list and when I'm bored with listening to the same lineup I just wipe it out and transfer a different one to the mp3 player.

It's your money and your decision but you can get a decent mp3 player for under 75 bucks and the usb drive to store all of your tunes for way less than 400 bucks. Plus if the player ever craps out on you, you still have all of your music on the external drive.
municipalmutt

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:13 am

I paid $350 for 80GB on my iPod. When it comes to interface and support there is no matching the iPod.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Joens » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:27 am

personally what do u have against ipods?

sure everbody has one. but if your on the market looking for a big capacity one.

ipod IMO is the way to go
Cremincus- Something completely and utterly unbelievable. Published in the B-list 2006
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:13 am

I paid $350 for 80GB on my iPod. When it comes to interface and support there is no matching the iPod.

My angst is based on first person referrals only.

Batteries is one thing on the Ipods and a few other minor things but muni brings up a good point that I should consider. I have a 30GB PC and plenty of CD's I need to ask is there really a need for such a large capacity unit, not like I listen to music 24/7.

I hate to admit it but I am a Napster freak from years ago, there are radio stations that would be jealous of my music collection BUT when & how much of that do I need on one unit? If it were to crap out I would be pissed, however discs are not the best storage medium either, tape is way way better.

Problem is I already have a 20GB mp3 player, one of the first and it is not that great.

I think I will look into more of a better 20-30GB player and maybe an alternative storage solution to my music collection.

I'm also looking to the future in regards to capacity with jpgs but again how often will I be viewing photos, especially of women I cannot have.

Thanks muni good advice, I'll just forget the mp3 player altogether and buy a walking cane, Geritol and a wireless connection to WMJI.

FUDU

Unread postby dmiles » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:43 am

My problem with Ipods is that I hate dealing with Itunes. Despise it. I had my stuff in directories and prefer a player where I can drag and drop.

I understand you can flash Ipods with some open source mp3 software. Since I gave my nano to my son I haven't messed with it. I bought a Meizu for my younger son for christmas. 4GB, nice looking interface, some kind of knockoff junk.
dmiles

Unread postby municipalmutt » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:37 am

I'm also looking to the future in regards to capacity with jpgs but again how often will I be viewing photos, especially of women I cannot have.

Thanks muni good advice, I'll just forget the mp3 player altogether and buy a walking cane, Geritol and a wireless connection to WMJI.

Well at least you're still young enough to be interested in looking at women. You'll know you're old when you go to the beach to look at the houses.
municipalmutt

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:02 pm

FUDU wrote:

Batteries is one thing on the Ipods and a few other minor things

I'm on my third iPod, but not due to battery issues or anything else. I've just upgraded to larger capacities and color screen capable of playing back videos. My nearly five year old first iPod still works quite well. The batteries aren't as good as they used to be, but I can still get 4 hours or more of playback out of it. I can also replace the battery if I really want to. My second iPod still works quite well too. It's about three years old.

The major plus I've found for iPod is the navigation and ease of use. I've not encountered another player that is as functional. The integration with iTunes is fantastic and makes controlling content by far the easiest of any other portable music player out there. The large one is great because I can rip my CDs into Apple Lossless format for much higher quality or stick with AAC, which is a much better codec than mp3. Still does well with my old mp3s though.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:16 pm

The integration with iTunes is fantastic and makes controlling content by far the easiest of any other portable music player out there. The large one is great because I can rip my CDs into Apple Lossless format for much higher quality or stick with AAC, which is a much better codec than mp3. Still does well with my old mp3s though.

I've never understood people's issues with controlling content, maybe I am misunderstanding them but you connect the player to the PC (unless you have wireless) and pick and choose what songs YOU want on YOUR mobile player, put your ear phones in/on, press play and listen, if YOU don't like the song YOU put in there skip it...end of story.

Am I missing something?

FUDU

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:04 pm

FUDU wrote:I've never understood people's issues with controlling content, maybe I am misunderstanding them but you connect the player to the PC (unless you have wireless) and pick and choose what songs YOU want on YOUR mobile player, put your ear phones in/on, press play and listen, if YOU don't like the song YOU put in there skip it...end of story.

Am I missing something?

That's how it works on iPod. Other audio players are hit in miss on being able to load content onto the players because there can be issues with communication between the source jukebox and the player. I ran into lots of problems when trying to help a friend with a Creative Zen player. It didn't like non-WMA files very much and even then was temperamental.

Even my experience with Zune players has yielded the same kind of issues. There's nothing that plugs and plays quite like the iPod nor is the pricing out of whack with competitors (currently $349 for 160GB).

In my experience, there is a reason why the iPod has become so dominant. Nothing really touches the scroll wheel or the organization that is inspired by OS X. iTunes seamlessly works with it. Other players have trouble working with jukeboxes they're supposed to work with and often have clunky interfaces. I bought a Zune a while ago to check them out and ended up selling it within a week (and the guy I sold it to ended up getting an iPod not long after). It was just a royal pain in the ass in comparison with what I was used to.

If set on not getting and iPod, I'd probably go for the Creative Zen, though last I checked they were charging $250 for 30GB versus 80GB on an iPod of the same price.

The 80GB Zune is a little cheaper than the iPod and the new software is improved, but it still has syncing problems and will often place multiple copies of the same stuff on the Zune or will delete stuff off the Zune you don't ask for it to. Unlike iTunes, Zune's software doesn't really check to see what's on the player so if you want to update your entire catalog then it will recopy the whole thing over instead of identifying what has changed like iTunes does. iTunes merely checks what has been changed on the computer and updates the iPod to reflect the iTunes library while making notes in iTunes of your most played songs, etc. Zune also gives you headaches when trying to create playlists. It lags when you put too many songs on it, causing the screen to freeze up and the device to sometimes go into a tailspin. People start having issue with anywhere between 5000-6000 songs on Zune. Microsoft provides little help when you have a problem. You can't run to the Apple store like you can with an iPod. Same goes for Zen, though Zen is FAR more reliable than the sketchy Zune.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:54 pm

The reviews of the new Zune I have read rave about everything you criticize?

Plus, I have an old, I mean 7 years old, 10GB mp3 player made by a shit company and NEVER had a problem transferring music back n forth, I still don't understand how it could be such an issue, IMO it must be operator error for all these people having problems.

FUDU

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:02 pm

FUDU wrote:

Batteries is one thing on the Ipods and a few other minor things but muni brings up a good point that I should consider. I have a 30GB PC and plenty of CD's I need to ask is there really a need for such a large capacity unit, not like I listen to music 24/7.

I hate to admit it but I am a Napster freak from years ago, there are radio stations that would be jealous of my music collection BUT when & how much of that do I need on one unit? If it were to crap out I would be pissed, however discs are not the best storage medium either, tape is way way better.

Problem is I already have a 20GB mp3 player, one of the first and it is not that great.

I think I will look into more of a better 20-30GB player and maybe an alternative storage solution to my music collection.

I think you are on to it here, FUDU, courtesy of muny. As long as you have a storage situation you find easy to use, there is no need to spend the money on capacity. Hell, you can buy three smaller capacity ones over the course of time and you'll never no the difference, again, provided your transfers are easy. This would eliminate many issues, including battteries.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby sandlot33 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:30 pm

Buy a cell phone that supports a 8gb memory card, you never have to worry about remembering the extra crap since it is all on one device...
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby mdtribefan » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:40 am

I have been very happy with my ipod.
mdtribefan

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:45 am

For anyone looking at other options here is anythingbutipod.com:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/
dmiles

Unread postby swerb » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:57 am

PD Business section today has a little feature comparing the non Apple MP3 players. Tried to link it, but its not on that mess of a website.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:38 pm

That guy on that site gives some informative and professional reviews.

I am leaning toward a Creative Lab Zen 30GB, and most likely used for now. I have decided that it appears we are still at a point where these things are not quite a perfected product yet, from any manufacturer.

FUDU

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture