Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

I am Legend

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

I am Legend

Unread postby Joens » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:31 pm

whos going to go see it this Friday. movie looks awesome cant wait.
Last edited by Joens on Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cremincus- Something completely and utterly unbelievable. Published in the B-list 2006
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby Guest » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:48 pm

I'll be there this weekend. Review will probably be up on Tuesday.

Unread postby BernieBrown » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:45 am

I was looking forward to it, but now I'm not so sure. It kinda sounds like they turned it from a great social commentary into just another horror movie.
BernieBrown

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:28 pm

Mitch wrote:I'll be there this weekend. Review will probably be up on Tuesday.

Will you be doing a review of the new Tom Hanks movie Charlie Wilson's War?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Guest » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:41 pm

Yep.

I'm going to be rather busy over the holidays, as I'll be reviewing Charlie Wilson's War, Sweeney Todd, and (probably) National Treasure II.

Although with NT2, it'll more than likely be just to rip it. My wife loved the first one, so I'm going to get drug to that one. That usually means I won't review it at all (Like "Music and Lyrics"), or I'll rip it.

And then once the Oscar nominations are handed out, I'll probably get around to reviewing "Juno", "No Country for Old Men", "There Will be Blood", and/or "Atonement".

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:47 pm

Mitch wrote:Yep.

I'm going to be rather busy over the holidays, as I'll be reviewing Charlie Wilson's War, Sweeney Todd, and (probably) National Treasure II.

Although with NT2, it'll more than likely be just to rip it. My wife loved the first one, so I'm going to get drug to that one. That usually means I won't review it at all (Like "Music and Lyrics"), or I'll rip it.

And then once the Oscar nominations are handed out, I'll probably get around to reviewing "Juno", "No Country for Old Men", "There Will be Blood", and/or "Atonement".

A couple of friends saw Juno this weekend and have not stopped raving about it.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby CarolinaTribe » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:52 pm

Mitch,
Where do you post your reviews at?
CarolinaTribe

Unread postby swerb » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:55 pm

CarolinaTribe wrote:Mitch,
Where do you post your reviews at?

Carolina ... our front page.

Mitch's entire archive can be found here:

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/authors. ... author=Yes
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Joens » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:15 pm

aww sweet thanks swerb
Cremincus- Something completely and utterly unbelievable. Published in the B-list 2006
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:44 pm

Mitch wrote:Yep.

NT2 is the one I'm looking most forward to. Loved the first movie and this one looks good.

Sweeney Todd looks pretty horrible.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby CarolinaTribe » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:02 am

I saw this last night. You will probably come out disappointed if you are looking for one of the best films of the year, but it's entertaining and certainly worth seeing.

If I had to assign a letter grade, put me down for B.
CarolinaTribe

Unread postby Joens » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:46 pm

i saw it also i put b+.
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby Joens » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:58 pm

just saw i am legend. its a good film. one of the movies that leave u at the end wanting more and thinking. a little slow at times but kinda hard not to have it slow when theres one person left on the earth(not really). but anyways over B+ -A
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby Guest » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:52 pm

Not at ALL happy with what they did to the dog...but that's just me, and I tried to leave that personal feeling as a dog lover out of the review.

Will Smith is incredible. The monsters? I've seen more realistic ones in "Doom" (the game, not the movie).

As noted, 3 footballs.

Unread postby swerb » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:42 pm

War of the Worlds a good comp for the film?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:19 am

This film was much, much better than War of the Worlds.

Look...everyone who reads my reviews knows that I'm a HUGE Spieberg fan...and it's not that I hate Cruise (well, I do, but I can still respect his acting), as "Minority Report" is in my Top 100 All - Time list.

But War of the Worlds sucked. Some great special effects, but I wanted to bitchslap Cruise's idiot son and strangle that obnoxious screaming little girl.

So there is no comparison.

I Am Legend might be a good companion piece to Children of Men, if you force me to name a movie.

Clive's movie was a lot more cerebral, but it still dealt with a near future meltdown of civilization, picturing a world that was scary most because it was very believable...not going all "Blade Runner" in it's view of the future.

Unread postby mrburns » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:21 am

War of the Worlds was absolutely terrible. Not only did I hate Dakota Fanning and those weird tripods, but the entire film itself just tired me out and made me feel lousy. I think I'd rather try waterboarding for two hours. Awful, awful movie. Quite possibly Spielberg's worst (probably worse than Hook).

I just saw I Am Legend, and Mitch, I agree with almost everything in your review. This is a below average movie without Smith.

It ate me up when the dog died. I don't think I've ever been as upset about an animal dying in a movie. Maybe the giant gorilla in Peter Jackson's King Kong, but that's not really the same.

My big problem with the movie was the monsters. They couldn't have looked more fake. If you saw the 2002 version of The Time Machine with Guy Pearce, the monsters in I Am Legend reminded me alot of the Morlocks in that movie.

Sometimes directors get too caught up in using CGI, and end up using it excessively. Just ask George Lucas. I Am Legend was helmed by Francis Lawrence, who directed Constantine (Keanu Reeves). I actually thought Constantine was underrated, it was very different and Reeves was tolerable, but there was definitely tons of CGI used in that movie too. Maybe that explains the choices made for I Am Legend.

The monsters might have been more effective if they had been a bunch of extras in makeup, not CGI. I would have preferred that they were more intelligent and not super strong/fast. Definitely could have been creepier.

Still a movie worth watching, probably a 3 or 3.5/5 in my book. It's always interesting to think about what you would do in a similar, post-apocalyptic situation. I'm definitely going to read the book, as several friends have recommended it.
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby Joens » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:35 am

waterboarding for two hours

wakeboarding?
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby Naxos » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:09 am

Allburn wrote: Awful, awful movie. Quite possibly Spielberg's worst (probably worse than Hook).

What was wrong with Hook?
Naxos

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: DA

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:53 am

Naxos wrote:
Allburn wrote: Awful, awful movie. Quite possibly Spielberg's worst (probably worse than Hook).

What was wrong with Hook?

Besides the mincing and the preening and the Dustin Hoffman scenery chewing and the Robin Williams and the Robin Williams moping and the excruciating pacing and the insufferable children and the sets and the dialogue and the blaring music and the goofball crew antics and the unlikability of the main characters and the cheapness of the sentiment and the Dustin Hoffman and the Robin Williams? Julia Roberts looked nice, I guess.

I liked in minute 38 when nothing happened: it was the highlight of the movie.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:56 am

Look, simple question: I really liked "Omega Man" when I was a kid. I understand its problems, but have an irrational nostalgic lens through which I view the movie.

Tell me I won't spend the entire time seeing "I Am Legend" comparing the two and ending up resentful (because Smith is better than Heston) or bitter (because the mutants aren't as charismatic as the old ones).
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby Guest » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:26 am

Steve Buffum wrote:Look, simple question: I really liked "Omega Man" when I was a kid. I understand its problems, but have an irrational nostalgic lens through which I view the movie.

Tell me I won't spend the entire time seeing "I Am Legend" comparing the two and ending up resentful (because Smith is better than Heston) or bitter (because the mutants aren't as charismatic as the old ones).

Sorry.

Can't do that.

Had I dwelt on those two issues during the movie, it might have gotten a "Tim Couch" from me.

Chuck Heston was cool as hell in "Omega Man", but he also seemed as if he was coping pretty well with the "last man on Earth" concept. In "I Am Legend", it fucks with Smith's mind big time the entire film.

But the mutants really, really suck.

And the way they handled the dog was just WRONG.

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:33 am

Blah,

Read the book, go see Juno, and rent I Am Legend when it comes out on DVD and you plan on watching a watered down flick that requires six brain cells to process.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:39 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Read the book ...

You can't grep a piece of wood!
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby Naxos » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:45 am

I love the whole concept of the last man/men/small group of people on earth.

What other movies have there been out there, on the topic, and have any been good?
Naxos

Unread postby Joens » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:41 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-MosmUseSY

alittle cheesy. buty still good
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby Guest » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:50 pm

Naxos wrote:I love the whole concept of the last man/men/small group of people on earth.

What other movies have there been out there, on the topic, and have any been good?

As mentioned, "Omega Man" was good. As was "Cast Away" in regards to a man totally isolated, a la "Robinson Crusoe". BTW, I always liked the campy sci-fi film from the 60s "Robinson Crusoe on Mars".

Not sure what else qualifies...as mentioned in the review, One-Man shows are tough, and they don't do them often as movies.

"Children of Men" is a great film that somewhat has a "last man on earth" flavor, as it centers on civilization falling apart 18 years after "something" happened making all women infertile.

Always like "The Truman Show" and it's concept...a man living in a world where everyone is an actor...except him, and he's being filmed 24 hours a day.

And then for the fans of absurd British humor, there's always "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", where one earthling gets teleported off the planet just before it's blown up for a galactic highway.

Others with better sci-fi knowlege could probably give you more.

Unread postby Naxos » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:40 pm

Some old movies that I sort of remember:

A Boy and His Dog - starred Don Johnson in 1975
Night of the Comet - an 80's cheese flick

This Quiet Earth - never seen it heard it starts strong but fizzles.
Naxos

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:10 am

saw it last night with a lady friend

The Ending is WANK!
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture