Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Any Hunter S Thompson Fans?

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Any Hunter S Thompson Fans?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:18 pm

He is the best author of 20th century IMO. I have all his books Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is my favorite movie. Anyone else enjoy the Duke of Gonzo?

"YOU PEOPLE VOTED FOR HUBERT HUMPHREY AND YOU KILLED JESUS!"
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Fixedgearrider » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:39 pm

I have a stack a foot high easy of his books. I loved his column "Hey Rube" on ESPN.com.

He was truly a high powered mutant never considered for mass production.
Fixedgearrider
Site Drunk

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:09 am

Hey Rube was pure gold his idea for improving baseball by getting rid of the pitcher and replacing him with a robot was great. I also loved "watching baseball is like watching 2 old jewish women argue about prices in a checkout line." Did you know they are making a Rum Diary movie?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Hunter

Unread postby I'mwiththeband » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:01 am

Though I disagree with your opinion of Hunter being the best author of the 20th Century (I prefer a few others, but won't turn this tread into a hoity-toity debate over the best author), Hunter was the perfect person at the perfect time. His "Fear and Loathing" on the campaign trails are a riot!
I'mwiththeband

Re: Hunter

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:33 pm

I'mwiththeband wrote:Though I disagree with your opinion of Hunter being the best author of the 20th Century (I prefer a few others, but won't turn this tread into a hoity-toity debate over the best author), Hunter was the perfect person at the perfect time. His "Fear and Loathing" on the campaign trails are a riot!

Oh yeah there are tons of great authors from the 20th century too many to name he is one that just really stuck out for me as being truly original. Who are some of your other favorites? Campaign Trail was stellar some of it is a hard read alot of political jargon. His talks with Pat Buchanan are so funny two very different people who became life long friends and drinking buddies.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby I'mwiththeband » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:27 am

I guess my favorite authors would be Camus and vintage Updike (Primarily just the Rabbit Novels) I don't stick to one genre (except for Camus...I try to read everything he wrote).

Updike's Rabbit Novels are really good and I have never felt a connection to a character like I did with Harry Angstrom.

There are some 'newer' authors that I am trying to follow more closely, but now that I have kids, I don't have enough time to read (Ohran Pamuk, Sayed Kashua).

If you like Thompson, do you like Keroauc? On the Road follows a similar tone to F&L, but is signifcantly milder.
I'mwiththeband

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:38 am

Updike's Rabbit Novels are really good and I have never felt a connection to a character like I did with Harry Angstrom.

I feel the same way about Jay Gatsby. I have not read any Keroauc Im going to borrorw On The Road from a friend along with some Alan Ginsburg soon. Im currently reading Tom Wolfe's "Electric Acid Kool-aide Test" which is incredible. Ken Kesey is also excellent.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby I'mwiththeband » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:09 am

If you like Kessey, than you'll have to read Palahniuk. I have never read Kessey (though 'nest' is on my list); however, I keep hearing that Palahniuk is his disciple. I've read Choke and Fight Club (didn't see the movie until recently).
I'mwiththeband

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:15 am

though 'nest' is on my list

Another fantastic book Ive been meaning to read it again.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby BadBecks » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:58 am

I own Hell's Angels and was a pretty big fan of his Page 2 column at ESPN. Good stuff.

As far as the best of the century...I'm not too sure there. I like most of the Vonnegut books and I am a big fan of E.H.'s The Sun Also Rises...maybe the best book of the century.

Though Cat's Cradle is solid as well.
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:29 am

BadBecks wrote:I own Hell's Angels and was a pretty big fan of his Page 2 column at ESPN. Good stuff.

As far as the best of the century...I'm not too sure there. I like most of the Vonnegut books and I am a big fan of E.H.'s The Sun Also Rises...maybe the best book of the century.

I havent read much Vonnegut but ive heard great things can you suggest some of his work? Hell's Angels is a great read its so sharp and real but also very funny. I suggest reading "Kingdom of Fear", "Hey Rube" (his ESPN work compilation), or "Songs of the Doomed" if you havent read them they are vintage HST. The first story in Songs of the Doomed will have you laughing for days.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby BadBecks » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:59 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
BadBecks wrote:I own Hell's Angels and was a pretty big fan of his Page 2 column at ESPN. Good stuff.

I havent read much Vonnegut but ive heard great things can you suggest some of his work? Hell's Angels is a great read its so sharp and real but also very funny. I suggest reading "Kingdom of Fear", "Hey Rube" (his ESPN work compilation), or "Songs of the Doomed" if you havent read them they are vintage HST. The first story in Songs of the Doomed will have you laughing for days.

I'll have to check that out. I recommend starting with "Cat's Cradle" first, then "Slaughterhouse 5" or "Sirens of Titan."
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Burroughs

Unread postby I'mwiththeband » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:17 am

On the topic of mid/late 20th century authors; has anyone read "Naked Lunch" by Burroughs? I read the first few pages and was just beaten to death by the lingo. Anyone able to get through it. Is there some sort of "crib-notes" or translation to assist in reading it?
I'mwiththeband

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture