Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Heroes: Season Two

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Heroes: Season Two

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:01 am

Three episodes in, and I feel it has been sort of dull so far. Nice to see Sylar still around, and to me, it is big to get him back into the story. I love his character, a great villian. But, with so many characters, everything is so fragmented right now and you see a few people one episode and then they disappear for an episode.

BTW, the whole Claire and dork boyfriend thing with him flying her through the skies was one of the gayest things I think I have ever seen.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Stolliosis » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:35 am

BTW, the whole Claire and dork boyfriend thing with him flying her through the skies was one of the gayest things I think I have ever seen.

That was pretty lame, but I'm interested to see how things with her dad play out now that she has heard once again that he wasn't always the nicest guy.

The brother and sister trying to get to the U.S. interest me the most right now.
Stolliosis

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:45 pm

Since I'm lazy, I'll just copy my post from the OBR site and put it on here. It pretty much lays out my thoughts on the episode last night.

I had the same thought on Candace as well. In fact, I think the whole thing may be an illusion, which is why Sylar wasn't able to move the glass. Because it wasn't a glass at all, it was an illusion. And also why he wasn't able to make his own illusions. Because he never really got that power.

But the more I think about it, the more I think she really is dead, because of the middle-of-nowhere shot they showed. I'd have a hard time believing she's that good to create something over that big of an area. Also because of showing what she "really looks like".

So DL is dead. Interesting, because he didn't look that bad at the end of last season. Also, that was his mother Nikki dropped Micah off with, right? The actress looked so familier, but I couldn't place her, I'm just assuming that's who it was because she said she was "family".

I really, really hope HRG doesn't die. Sadly, most of Isaac's paintings came true, so it's not looking good. But one of them didn't. The explosion never happened, so there is a slimmer of hope for Noah. But, it looks like Claire's going to go against him, and I'm guessing West is his supposed killer. No, we don't know for sure if it's Claire, Nikki, or the blonde rival cheerleader, but I think it's safe to assume it's one of them, and Claire's my most likely target. I think West is working for the Company, and he convinces Claire that her father is evil. Because what are the odds they both end up at the same school, AND he seems to know that she may be "special" from the beginning? Someone tipped him off.

I'm actually thinking that Peter may be the Nightmare. They could do it where something happens to the Irish girl he's taken a liking to, he goes nuts, looks at his old identity, goes back to NY and starts offing people. Although that assumes that the Nightmare is different from the person who's stalking the old Heroes. But in any event, I could easily see him being a bad guy, maybe even killing Sylar and taking over from that. And really, he's the ultimate villain. Nobody can have more powers than he does, because he absorbs whatever powers he's around.

Finally, I'm getting bored with the Mexicans storyline. It needs to move somewhere. Every week they run from the policia, she cries, people die, but then oops, nope, not really because her brother took it back. Yay. Rinse, lather, repeat. They need to get to America, or her brother needs to die, or something needs to happen next week, because this is getting old.

Also, while I'll agree that the Claire/West thing was pretty much steel-rod-up-the-pooper gay, I think that storyline has massive potential. Peter's storyline has me interested in the same way.

And Sobo already answered my question about the old black lady. It's another old Star Trek person. I forget her name. But she was the black lady (duh) on the original Star Trek series.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:37 pm

Anyone watching? I am finally catching up with all the stuff I missed the past month with shows getting going because of the Indians playoffs....and I am now caught up with Heroes.

I have to say, six episodes in, this thing is DRAGGING. Big disappointment so far. Part of the problem is the cast is too freaking huge.

The Hiro story of him back in time with Kensei may make sense later....but I can't stand it right now. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
consigliere

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:58 pm

It's Okay this season. I either really like, or really hate the individual storylines.

I hate the Claire/boyfriend storyline, the wondertwin/Sylar storyline (since they're now connected...and how the hell did Sylar end up in the middle of the road in Mexico? When we left him last, he was in the tropics somewhere, right? Or was it supposed to be the Mexican jungle?), the Niki/Suresh/Bob storyline (I thought this had promise, but I don't like where they're going with it. Maybe they'll surprise me).

I love the Noah/Haitian storyline, the Peter/Irish chick storyline, Want to see more of Veronica Mars, and I actually like the Hiro storyline. It's somewhat predictable (love causes a rift between heroes), but I still enjoy it for some reason. I think it has the potential to end in a great episode, much like the Hiro/Charlie thing did last season. And the Old Hero/Nightmare/Molly storyline is pretty good too, I think.

Overall, I don't think it's a bad season, but it's moving slow at the beginning much like it did last season. I think this is all setting up the last couple episodes before the winter break, and the rest of the season after that. The thing that I do like, though, is that most of the storylines that I don't like, still have potential. The only one I don't like is the Wondertwin storyline. I hate that one. I see no way that can end well. It's to the point where I'm rooting for Sylar to get his powers back soon so he can kill them off. I really hope he doesn't start to like her, and spare her. That's completely against Sylar's character, and would be a real shame.
StewieG

Unread postby VultureHxC » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:37 pm

i agree is was dragging but starting with the end of the last episode it looks like it's going to start picking up. i'm actually interested to see where hiro's storyline goes, especially after getting knocked out. i hate the wondertwins story. too boring, too predictable, they whine too much and i don't connect with them. i'd like to see them dedicate more time to peter's story since it was a quick bit at the beginning of the episode and then a quick one at the end. i'm hoping it gets more screen time and think it will with the addition of the adam hero. and if they're going to keep adding characters, they need to start killing some off. it's taking time away from other storylines or you just aren't seeing some stories for a week or two and then they come back
VultureHxC

Unread postby Naxos » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:54 pm

I pretty much agree with everyone.

The Peter story line is good.

I like the Hiro / Ando story lines

Noah's is OK

I even enjoy the muscle mimic stuff.

Wondertwins though... is boring

so are the my two dads, though when they are not cooing over the little girl they can be OK

and Claire's story line is awful. I hope the kid who can gets killed off.
Naxos

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: DA

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Loved the episode last night.

SPOILERS for those who didn't see it yet:

Finished the Hiro in time storyline. Also opened up a new one, as Kensei, it's revealed, doesn't age since he got his powers. He's also 'Adam'. Does that mean Claire doesn't age also?

We got our answer as to who killed Kaito Nakamura. It was Adam. He pushed him off the roof, healed, and ran away. And it was Maury who made Angela Petrelli almost kill herself. Once again, the Heroes writers prove they're smarter than I. I assumed, as I'm sure everyone did, that it was ONE person doing BOTH killings. It was two different people, working together. I don't know if you can call that a twist, but I certainly didn't see it coming.

So Noah now knows about West. And West now knows about Noah. Everything's kind of going back in time for Noah, because he knows the danger he's in. He's going back to his company training, and 'morally gray' actions. It seems as though it may be Suresh that tries to kill him, because he has to get Claire in to the company in order to save the world. I sincerely hope they can find a way to keep Noah alive though, because his character is probably my favorite on the show.

And it looks like Adam is going to try to recruit Peter to his side. I'm sure he'll go after Hiro as well. Peter playing the bad guy...I wondered if that's how it would turn out. It looks like it might. Although I'm sure they'll have him figure it out before the end.

Finally, I can't wait for next week. It seems like it'll be another 'Six Months Ago' episode that answers many of our questions.

Just like last season, the first 5 or 6 episodes started off decent enough, but slow. And just like last season, it picks up right around now, and goes full throttle until the winter break (which, thanks to the writers strike, may end up being the end of the season).
StewieG

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:51 pm

Man, what a great show last night. Now, things are finally in motion....and next week looks like a heck of a show where this puzzled starts to come together.

Best non-cable show on TV.
consigliere

Unread postby Jumbo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:40 pm

Just like last season, the first 5 or 6 episodes started off decent enough, but slow.

Right.

I think all of the "disappointment" over this season has been a little overblown, but if you think back to the first season the show (while good) didn't really get cracking until Homecoming or so.

Of course, I agree with the general sentiments that the Mexico plotline has been boring...and the Hiro/Japan plotline was really kind of pointless, where Hiro would say that Kensei has a task, the task would be performed (off camera, thanks to the apparent lack of budget for extended battle scenes) and then they'd talk about it. And then go back to step one. The plot could've been better, but Kensei/Adam is a good character, and makes for a good villain.

I suppose the "way out" for the virus (without cutting Claire to pieces over and over again) is by doing whatever needs to be done to Adam...
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:14 pm

Jumbo wrote:Just like last season, the first 5 or 6 episodes started off decent enough, but slow.

Right.

I think all of the "disappointment" over this season has been a little overblown, but if you think back to the first season the show (while good) didn't really get cracking until Homecoming or so.

Of course, I agree with the general sentiments that the Mexico plotline has been boring...and the Hiro/Japan plotline was really kind of pointless, where Hiro would say that Kensei has a task, the task would be performed (off camera, thanks to the apparent lack of budget for extended battle scenes) and then they'd talk about it. And then go back to step one. The plot could've been better, but Kensei/Adam is a good character, and makes for a good villain.

I suppose the "way out" for the virus (without cutting Claire to pieces over and over again) is by doing whatever needs to be done to Adam...

While I'll agree that the plot for Hiro actually being in old Japan could have been better, we now see how important the plot is to the overall story. They definitely have a reason for doing it, and a 500 year old grudge is a pretty major grudge, and can make you do some pretty evil things.

One thing I forgot to mention is how the "Company" seems to work. It seems to be very much like Machiavelli. "The ends justify the means". What I mean is, how they go about doing this is...morally gray, at best. But, overall they're doing these gray things to keep people like Sylar from killing. I'm assuming those two marks they put in your neck is some sort of way to track those with abilities. So if they get a rogue, like Sylar, they can easily find them. Which is also the reason Molly Walker was so important to them. And now, Noah is doing pretty much the same thing, by doing morally gray tasks (and sometimes less than morally gray, like killing his mentor), in order to keep his family safe. "For the greater good", basically.

Things like that is why I love this show so much. It takes situations, and makes them complicated. It's not just about right and wrong for the most part. Everyone has a reason they are the way they are. Adam has a major grudge because the girl he loved was, in his view, stolen from him. Hiro is a tragic figure because he's now twice given up someone he loved (Charlie last season, and the swordsmith's daughter this season...I can't remember her name). The last one was intentional. Noah is killing people in order to protect his family.

And it's interesting to ask yourself how you would react in those situations. Obviously they're extreme, but...let's say someone took the woman you loved, and who loved you back, away from you. Would you hold a grudge? I know I would. How far would you take that? How long would you wait? Would you want revenge?

Could you voluntarily give up someone you love? Even if you know it's what you have to do? Think of your favorite pet. If the pet was sick, and in mild pain, but could live for another year and not be in serious pain, would you have it put to sleep now, or wait?

How far would you go to protect your family from something that could or would hurt them? He moved. He changed his entire life. He killed. Could you do any or all of those things?

And then it seems like just when you think you have things figured out, when you think you've answered everything, they change the questions. Things like that are why I think this show is so great.
StewieG

Unread postby GreatGoo » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:53 pm

StewieG wrote:Loved the episode last night.

SPOILERS for those who didn't see it yet:

Finished the Hiro in time storyline. Also opened up a new one, as Kensei, it's revealed, doesn't age since he got his powers. He's also 'Adam'. Does that mean Claire doesn't age also?

We got our answer as to who killed Kaito Nakamura. It was Adam. He pushed him off the roof, healed, and ran away. And it was Maury who made Angela Petrelli almost kill herself. Once again, the Heroes writers prove they're smarter than I. I assumed, as I'm sure everyone did, that it was ONE person doing BOTH killings. It was two different people, working together. I don't know if you can call that a twist, but I certainly didn't see it coming.

So Noah now knows about West. And West now knows about Noah. Everything's kind of going back in time for Noah, because he knows the danger he's in. He's going back to his company training, and 'morally gray' actions. It seems as though it may be Suresh that tries to kill him, because he has to get Claire in to the company in order to save the world. I sincerely hope they can find a way to keep Noah alive though, because his character is probably my favorite on the show.

And it looks like Adam is going to try to recruit Peter to his side. I'm sure he'll go after Hiro as well. Peter playing the bad guy...I wondered if that's how it would turn out. It looks like it might. Although I'm sure they'll have him figure it out before the end.

Finally, I can't wait for next week. It seems like it'll be another 'Six Months Ago' episode that answers many of our questions.

Just like last season, the first 5 or 6 episodes started off decent enough, but slow. And just like last season, it picks up right around now, and goes full throttle until the winter break (which, thanks to the writers strike, may end up being the end of the season).

How do you know that Adam killed Kaito Nakamura? So the real story of Kaito Nakamura was that Adam kileld him and helped that girl save her dad. In doing so becoming a hero? But since Hiro screwed it up things have changed.
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:24 pm

How do you know that Adam killed Kaito Nakamura? So the real story of Kaito Nakamura was that Adam kileld him and helped that girl save her dad. In doing so becoming a hero? But since Hiro screwed it up things have changed.

Bob said as much in the last episode. He said that Adam was the one killing the old heroes, and Maury was his puppet.
StewieG

Unread postby GreatGoo » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:30 pm

But how can we assume that Adam killed Kaito Nakamura? :idea:
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:20 pm

greatgoo wrote:But how can we assume that Adam killed Kaito Nakamura? :idea:

Because Bob said so, and because it fits.

Kaito knew his killer. Since Adam was one of the founders of the Company, and Kaito was apparently high up in the company, we can assume that they knew each other.

Kensei/Adam also made a pact that as long as he drew breath, he would kill everything that Hiro loves and holds dear. And that would certainly include his father.

He's the right build for the hooded killer.

It's plausible that he could do it, because his regenerative powers would allow him to not only survive that fall, but also get up and run away undetected.

Plus, it appears that Adam is now against the Company, based on the note he left Peter. Therefore it would make sense that he would go after the higher ups and former higher ups, because they're the ones that know about him and could stop him. Plus, they locked him up so he was probably pretty PO'd about that.

Finally, and this is kind of cheating, but one of the directors of the show confirmed that Adam was the hooded killer in his blog.
http://gregbeeman.blogspot.com/
StewieG

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:50 am

So, what did everyone think of the finale? Was sort of interesting how they finished off volume II so fast.

Glad Alejandro got carved up by Syler. Couldn't stand the guy. I wish Mya would have got the same treatment.

Have to say Syler is one of my all-time favorite villians. I absolutely love that character. The guy who plays him does a great job....which is amazing because he played a dweeb CTU dork in I think Season 1 or 2 of 24.

Peter Petrelli has a little bit of a darkside to him.....wonder if that comes out some with the death of his brother. Or, if he is hell bent on getting revenge.

Is this the last we see of Adam? Does he lay buried for eternity, or does someone set him free at some point? The fact he is not dead, means he'll be back at some point.

With Volume III titled "Villians".....do we see another villian or two besides Syler come to the forefront? Peter? Claire's dork boyfriend? Who?

Love this show.....not as great as the first season, but close.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:14 pm

Consigliere wrote:So, what did everyone think of the finale? Was sort of interesting how they finished off volume II so fast.

Glad Alejandro got carved up by Syler. Couldn't stand the guy. I wish Mya would have got the same treatment.

Have to say Syler is one of my all-time favorite villians. I absolutely love that character. The guy who plays him does a great job....which is amazing because he played a dweeb CTU dork in I think Season 1 or 2 of 24.

Peter Petrelli has a little bit of a darkside to him.....wonder if that comes out some with the death of his brother. Or, if he is hell bent on getting revenge.

Is this the last we see of Adam? Does he lay buried for eternity, or does someone set him free at some point? The fact he is not dead, means he'll be back at some point.

With Volume III titled "Villians".....do we see another villian or two besides Syler come to the forefront? Peter? Claire's dork boyfriend? Who?

Love this show.....not as great as the first season, but close.

You can blame the writers strike for finishing this off so abruptly. The season was very unbalanced because of that. It started off agonizingly slow, and finished up way too quick. It was a very good last couple episodes, don't get me wrong, but it should have been told in a 5 (or so) episode arc, not 2. Originally, this story arc was supposed to end in this episode or the next (before the holiday break), but it was meant to be more open-ended. It was supposed to be a mini-finale, not the big finale it was. I doubt Nathan would have died in this episode, but I still think Niki would have.

But yes, thank God Alejandro is no more. I hope they don't bring Maya back. Her power is so...blah. Yeah, she can kill people. Wonderful. Then she can take it away. There isn't much you can do with that, and the writers have done all of them. Time to put her character under. Kill her of DL-style, although I don't care if we ever see how she died.

Sylar is a great villain. I'll admit, I was a little disappointed when I first saw the actor who plays him (Zach Quinto). He struck me as dorky, like you said. But he has done a fantastic job, and I can't wait to see what he does next season. He can be such a badass.

I think you're going to see a change in Peter. I think he'll still be a good guy, but a more morally gray good guy. I think you'll see him as a more Machiavellian persona (ironically, like his mother, and Linderman).

The old adage in movies and comic books, 'if you don't see them die, then they're not really dead'...that doesn't really apply to this show anymore. With Claire and Adam's blood, you can literally bring any character you want back to life. Nathan and Niki may come back at some point. Isaac, Simone, Candice, Charles Deveaux, Mr. Sulu, Linderman, DL...any of the characters that died up to this point can be brought back. They brought HRG back, they healed Nathan from possibly the brink of death. It kind of cheapens death in the show to a point. But, it also gives them a reason to bring Adam back. When Claire dies (and she will...her actress, whose name I can't spell, is becoming the next big thing in Hollywood. She'll outgrow the show in a season or two), they'll have a use for the blood. Parkman can find Hiro and they can dig up Adam, who will still be alive. Or, they can have Adam eventually break through the casket and dig himself out. Like I said, he probably won't be around next season, but after that...they could bring him back.

"Villains" is such an interesting choice for the title of a new volume. We didn't know it at the time, but "Generations" was such an appropriate title for this volume, because it was (for the most part) the younger generation working to undo the harm caused by the older generation. I don't want to even guess as to what they have in store for the next volume, but I'm sure they won't disappoint. I was hoping they'd introduce new villains, and have some bigger battles between heroes and villains, but who knows if that's what they're getting at?

Finally, what happened to Caitlin? Is she trapped in an alternate future? Is she transported to the new future? Is she blinked out of existence? Will we ever hear of her again? Time travel is so cool.
StewieG

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:19 pm

One more thought I forgot about. Who shot Nathan? My guess is it was Noah Bennett, as it kind of looked like him walking away from the guards. But...how did he get through them? It did appear to me that he appeared out of thin air...like he was invisible. Which made me think of Claude. But that's so out-of-nowhere, especially since he seems to be done working with the Company. Is there another invisible guy? Does Noah have powers? Or am I just completely insane for thinking he appeared out of nowhere?

Also, Angela Petrelli had her son killed. Just when you think her character is getting a reprieve, she does something despicable like that. Is she one of the new villains? God, I love this show.
StewieG

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:52 pm

A couple of other things. What if Mr. Petrelli is the one who shot Nathan? It certainly would be a shocker. Think about it: We never see him dead. We never see him die. We have no idea what he looks like, save for an old picture. So obviously they have an actor, or at least a photograph of an actor, that they have in mind. Even if he did die, they can now use the blood to bring him back. And Angela does say that they've opened up a Pandora's Box, which could refer to them revealing that he's alive to Peter and everyone else.

I still think it's much more likely that it's Noah, but it IS something that could fit, and I wouldn't put it past them.

Also, Nathan wasn't originally supposed to be shot during his speech. That's part of the re-write. Originally, he was supposed to collapse in the middle of his speech from the Shanti Virus, which would open up the second half of the season after the holiday hiatus.
StewieG

Unread postby Guest » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:47 am

You do know that Zach Quinto, who plays Sylar, is going to be Spock in JJ Abrahams new Star Trek movie, don't you?

I think he'll be perfect for it.

Unread postby StewieG » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:08 pm

Just a little update on what's to come for season 3. This is from Tim Kring, the creator, so it's legit. I suppose some of this could be considered spoilers, so if you want to be completely surprised, you shouldn't read it. But it's just a little preview of what's to come, no real plot details.

- Sylar is going to be featured more prominently than was originally expected. Due to the writers strike, production on season 3 is expected to start later than usual. Zach Quinto should be done filming his role for Spock (as Mitch said) by then, so he's likely going to be available from the beginning of production. This is very good news, as he's on almost everyone's top 3 list of characters on the show.

- The fate of Niki and Nathan have not been decided yet. It's possible one or both could survive their ordeals. Personally, I hope Nathan survives and Niki dies. I've never really liked Niki's character, and although Ali Larter is some really nice eye candy, character does matter to me.

- Expect Elle to take a turn for the good. It's not unexpected, judging by her reaction when Mohinder called her a "hero" for saving them. I just hope they don't change her character too much. She can fight on the good side and still be a crazy bitch.

- Kring kind of sidestepped the possibility of Adam making it out of the grave. "It's poetic justice to have Adam end up in the same graveyard as Kaito," Kring notes. "We've given the audience no reason to believe that Adam can figure a way to get out of there. The fact that he can live forever makes this the most gruesome of internments. If this happened to any of us, at least we'd know we'd soon have the mercy of death. Not here." See? It's noncommittal.

- And here's the biggie, and the one I'm most excited about. "Villains", the title for the next chapter, is not going to be about just Sylar, or just about existing characters. They're going to introduce new, actual villains in the next season just like they introduced the heroes in the first season, where they discover their abilities, and then end up finding one another. Honestly, that sounds like it has MASSIVE potential to be great, and should set up the show for the rest of its run, however long that lasts.

My guess, and this is just pure speculation on my part, is that the season opens up with a bang, and one of the middle-to-upper-middle tier heroes gets killed off in an especially gruesome way. Someone like Maya (I have my fingers crossed), Elle, Molly (though I doubt they'd kill off a kid), Bob, the Haitian, Ando, or even someone like Parkman or Mohinder. If I had to guess, I'd say Maya (because most people seem to hate her) or the Haitian (because he's a season 1 character, and would create somewhat of a stir without killing off one of the really major characters. I could also, at some point, see one of the heroes switching sides to become a villain. Most likely Peter (if his brother dies) or Matt (his new ability corrupts him, and he gets greedy, somewhat like his father).

But whatever happens, I sincerely hope by the end of the season we're seeing some pretty big battles between the major heroes and major villains.

The source link is here: http://www.eztv.it/index.php?main=tvnews&show_news=1253
StewieG

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture