Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Can I get an AMEN!

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Can I get an AMEN!

Unread postby HoodooMan » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:13 am

Gameface's piece on the Sopranos just flat out nailed it.

I didn't even bother subscribing to HBO again to watch this season, because the last one, outside of the one episode in which Chris' girl was offed, was so worthless. Doesn't sound like I'm missing a thing either. Tony in a coma, what a thrill.

BTW, was it really only season two when all that stuff happened? It just feels so long ago.
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby yogi » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:19 am

I'm finishing watching Season 2 right now and Game is entirely accurate.

2 nights ago, I enjoyed watching Tony's sister shoot Richie and a sick Tony even up on Big Puss.

I know Tony's mother dies soon, (the actress died in real life, right).

I'm guessing that'll happen sometime in Season 3.
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:08 pm

The writing does lack at times.

Some of the stuff they do is very good, and other twists they take leave you wondering how the same writers that have produced such a successful show could make such lame, predictable plot turns.

The acting is phenomenal though, and that can outshine poor writing for me with some shows.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:12 pm

And Tony's outta the coma Hoodoo.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:53 pm

To me, it comes down to; What's Better?

Nothing.

I love '24', but it's the tv equivalent of "The Rock"...great action entertainment, but not much in the way of insights into the psyche.

House is probably the best of the bunch right now, but in many ways, it's still as predictable as "CSI" (which I also enjoy...at least the Vegas one...'Miami' has its moments...but despite my respect for Gary Sinise, I think the NY one stinks). The best thing House has going for it is Hugh Lawrie, who has created one of the best fucked up lead characters since...Tony Soprano.

'Lost' is good, and sometime great. But also at times it reminds me of season 2 of "Twin Peaks"...a little too full of itself.

The Shield and Rescue Me are also very good shows...but not in the same league as the Sopranos.

The only shows I can think of to compare to it would be Six Feet Under...which also suffered from a couple of bad years before finishing up with their best season, and the best final show I've EVER seen on TV...and Deadwood...which may actually be better than the Sopranos...but it's a hard comparison as they have such different styles, casts, and genres.

And don't even get me started on tv comedies...the only thing that sucks worse than them are slasher movies.

But it's not all artsy-fartsy stuff...while I hate 95% of reality TV, I won't miss American Idol or Survivor.

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture