Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:06 am

Holy shit ... finally saw this. WHAT A FILM! I loved this. Big screen, lights off, good little Absolut buzz goin, surround sound piping through every inch of my crib ... man, what a watch.

No one else posted on this? What did everyone think? Discuss.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Fixedgearrider » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:04 pm

300 was one of the best movies of last year. Great dialogue, good funny parts that they snuck in. And the battle sequences are out of control awesome.

"Give them nothing, but take from them everything"

Who wouldn't kill persians after hearing that?
Fixedgearrider
Site Drunk

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:12 pm

The dude that played the lead bad ass was absolutely awesome. One of my favorite film characters of the last decade.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:12 pm

Gerard Butler even made watching an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical tolerable when he play The Phantom of the Opera.

I've got "300" as my top movie so far of 2007...although I know the award season flicks may push it down a notch or two, I don't see it falling out of the Top 5.

Unread postby Fixedgearrider » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:56 pm

I loved when he wouldn't kneel to Xerxes, citing a sore leg from killing his men all day.
Fixedgearrider
Site Drunk

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:16 pm

Just an absolutely awesome movie.

Messenger: Choose your next words carefull Leonidas... they may be your last ones as king!

Spartan King Leonidas: You bring the crowns and heads of conquered kings to my city steps. You insult my queen. You threaten my people with slavery and death! Oh, I've chosen my words carefully, Persian. Perhaps you should have done the same!

Messenger: This is blasphemy! This is madness!

Spartan King Leonidas: Madness? THIS IS SPARTA!
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Fixedgearrider » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:18 pm

Leonidas:I'm just going for a walk, to stretch my legs. These men are my personal guard.
Fixedgearrider
Site Drunk

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:43 pm

Mitch wrote:Gerard Butler even made watching an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical tolerable when he play The Phantom of the Opera.

I've got "300" as my top movie so far of 2007...although I know the award season flicks may push it down a notch or two, I don't see it falling out of the Top 5.

Mitch, JOOC, what else you got up there for '07?
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Fixedgearrider » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:45 pm

I dunno, 2007 on a whole hasn't been the best movie year ever. I barely went to the theater, let alone bothered with most DVDs.
Fixedgearrider
Site Drunk

Unread postby Guest » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:18 pm

At this point.

1. 300
2. Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix
3. Bourne Ultimatum
4. Pirates of the Caribbean 3
5. Knocked Up
6. Live Free or Die Hard
7. Hot Fuzz
8. Disturbia
9. Spider-Man 3
10. Breach

Unread postby swerb » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:06 pm

Thanks Mitch. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything good. We are of like mind on films.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:44 pm

On my list, Hot Fuzz is the only one out on DVD that you haven't seen yet.

You'd probably enjoy it...especially the last 30 minutes.

Dry British humor, however...and then it turns into Benny Hill with an Uzi.

Unread postby swerb » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:07 pm

Just Netflixed it ...
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby VultureHxC » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:16 pm

VultureHxC

Unread postby VultureHxC » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:17 pm

this one's good too. for the kids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caaQ4VT9GY8
VultureHxC

Unread postby furls » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:01 pm

I am going to be the dissenter here. Look, I thought the directing and such was phenomenal. The effects, cinemetography, characters, everything was fantastic, EXCEPT the most important part to me, the plot.

THermopylae is a fantastic story, and I am a huge geek for classics, history (particularly military history), and general bad assery. Unfortunately, I was really expecting more plot development, more perspective. Don't get me wrong, I am not panning the movie it was visually stunning, I just thought that the movie lacked some of perspective on Thermopylae.

I enjoyed it in the same way I enjoy Rambo, it is really good if you turn your mind off and just allow the images to come to you.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:35 pm

Furls wrote:I am going to be the dissenter here. Look, I thought the directing and such was phenomenal. The effects, cinemetography, characters, everything was fantastic, EXCEPT the most important part to me, the plot.

THermopylae is a fantastic story, and I am a huge geek for classics, history (particularly military history), and general bad assery. Unfortunately, I was really expecting more plot development, more perspective. Don't get me wrong, I am not panning the movie it was visually stunning, I just thought that the movie lacked some of perspective on Thermopylae.

I enjoyed it in the same way I enjoy Rambo, it is really good if you turn your mind off and just allow the images to come to you.

You have a point. I'm a fellow history geek (my degree is in history) and am particularly interested in in ancient Greek and Roman history. That's why I learned classical Greek in college - there's nothing quite like reading Herodotus in Greek where the Battle of Thermopylae is originally recounted.

I was glad that they at least showed the onset of the Battle of Plataea at the end, though they didn't explicitly tell you the outcome. There was no mention of what Themistocles and the Athenians did at Salamis, not really of what the Athenian navy did to back of the Spartans before and during the battle to hold the Hot Gates. I've thought for a long time that Salamis would make for a good film. It was another pivotal moment in western history and showed the difference how the western Greeks thought very differently from the eastern Persians. That difference was touched on quite nicely in Victor Davis Hanson's book, Carnage and Culture.

As for Hot Fuzz, that's my favorite movie of the year thus far. I'd put Transformers behind it because that was a blast and had jaw dropping effects, plus it was a ton of fun. 300 would be right behind that and then I'd probably put Live Free or Die Hard next.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby mswerb » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:54 pm

Finally, I saw this today. The battle scenes were crazy insane. How about the crazy frankenstein looking freak that took one in the eye, pulled it out, and continued to fight. I was looking for Leonardis to kill everyone, sad to see that he bit it in the end.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:09 pm

Finally saw this as well.

Not as great as Gladiator to me, and in a lot of ways some of the directing and story in the movie seemed like a blatant ripoff.....but man, easily one of the best movies I have seen in the last few years.

If you can't get pumped up at how those Spartans locked it down and did not back down in the face of such overwhelming odds, I don't know what to say. The battle scenes and the way they showed their courage and bravery through it all was fascinating. And Gerard Butler was awesome.

I especially loved when his wife the queen tore a hole through the dirty politician and gave it back to him. What a great turn.

Great stuff. I love movies like this. MORE!
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:34 am

Mitch wrote:On my list, Hot Fuzz is the only one out on DVD that you haven't seen yet.

You'd probably enjoy it...especially the last 30 minutes.

Dry British humor, however...and then it turns into Benny Hill with an Uzi.

Hot Fuzz was fucking great your description of the last 30 minutes is spot on. I love the style they bring to movies that was the first time I have seen an Action movie crossed with a Slasher film and Hillarious humor. If you guys like Shawn Of The Dead check this movie out.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Guest » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:40 pm

I thought this was just okay, actually let down due to the hype.

Unread postby Joens » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:45 pm

whenever a film has that much hype. its seems like it never meets its full expectation
Cremincus- Something completely and utterly unbelievable. Published in the B-list 2006
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby municipalmutt » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:34 pm

Joens wrote:whenever a film has that much hype. its seems like it never meets its full expectation

That's exactly how I felt about "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes."
municipalmutt

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:57 pm

municipalmutt wrote:
Joens wrote:whenever a film has that much hype. its seems like it never meets its full expectation

That's exactly how I felt about "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes."

And dont forget "Killer Klowns from Outerspace"
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Joens » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:15 pm

And dont forget "Killer Klowns from Outerspace"

havent seen that one. and i dont plan on it.
Cremincus- Something completely and utterly unbelievable. Published in the B-list 2006
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:20 pm

Joens, you dont know what your missing its an epic. I mean its about Clowns that Kidnap people by using Cotton Candy and popcorn. But thats fine its your loss. These kids down the street love these guys called "Insane Clown Posse" and they spraypainted "Juggalo 4 life" on the side of their car. What the fuck is this? 300 was an awesome movie best action sequences of the year hands down.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Joens » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:24 pm

ahaha cerebral. ill watch a bit of it.

those kids down the street from you sound like they need a good talking to.
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture