Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

John From Cincinnati

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

John From Cincinnati

Unread postby Guest » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:19 pm

The first, and I hope only, season of "John From Cincinnati" ends this week.

For some stupid reason, I have watched every episode.

It started out somewhat promising, in a "What the fuck are they doing" way. Nothing wrong with that. That's how it was early on with "Twin Peaks", "Lost" and "Heroes"

Unfortunately, all three of those shows got better as the season went on (although "Twin Peaks" jumped the shark in the second season). With John...it's been a downhill race to the bottom faster than the Tampa Bay Devil Rays one day stay at the top of the AL East standings prior to the opening game.

Seriously...David Milch refused to do another season of "Deadwood" for this piece of complete shite?

I have never seen an HBO show with such horrible acting, writing and directing. Rebecca DeMorney may have a lifetime achievement as the worst combination of acting and character ever. Damn...her level of bitching ALMOST makes my ex-wife look somewhat sane in comparison. And she's 47 years old. No one can believe she's a grandmother to a 14 year old.

Bruce Greenwood is the best actor there, so he totally disappears for like five episodes. And if the kid playing the grandson was any more wooden, he'd be standing in front of a cigar store.

"Sopranos", "Deadwood", "Six Feet Under"...all gone. And THIS is what they give us.

Luckily, "Big Love" has been much better than last year. "Entourage" still rules, and hopefully "Dexter" will be back soon on Showtime.

But as for "John"...I should have known this would suck two peckered goats.

It has the word "Cincinnati" in its title.

Unread postby swerb » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:10 pm

Mitch, I've been sucked in as well, and I'm pretty much right with ya.

HBO, and Milch, have set high standards ... and this one failed to deliver. The Sissy character is unbearable. And Greenwood is a great actor, and has been ignored.

You have any thoughts on where the hell Sean is, and WTF John's purpose is? Is there a second season scheduled?

Big Love has been great this season though.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:46 pm

Swerb wrote:You have any thoughts on where the hell Sean is, and WTF John's purpose is? Is there a second season scheduled?

Big Love has been great this season though.

The sad thing is...I watched it last night wondering those things.

And decide that I really don't care.

I've read some things that said that Milch was using this as his personal blog regarding All Things Spiritual.

So I get the feeling that Sean will be OK...just because without him, there would be no second season (although there shouldn't be anyway).

John is from God...or at least from Milch's interpretation of Him. I still haven't a sporking clue as to his purpose, however. And quite frankly, despite my 100% disdain of the RR, I don't have a problem with things dealing with spirituality, and if it's done right, it's great to watch.

This has just become painful to watch.

There is no way they can "wrap things up" next week. I have no idea what the purpose is. I have no idea what's up with Al Bundy and his stupid birds...no idea about the motives of Charlie Utter...er...the Hawaiian drug dealer....or the goofy doctor...or Luis Guzman slumming it...or the stupid gay lottery winner...or even friggin' Trixie showing up 3/4 of the way through the season.

Paula Malcomson was one of the best things about Deadwood as the foul mouthed hooker-with-a-heart-of-gold. And now she shows up just to throw her shirt over the head of a hairlipped geek?

I guess that as a fan of Cleveland sports, I'm used to watching train wrecks and not turning off the TV...but this is getting damn close to the same feeling I had in the early fourth quarter of the first Browns game in 1999.

Unread postby swerb » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:34 am

LOL ... well put.

HBO really recycles those actors. Its bad enough they cancelled Deadwood for this trash, but they even had to throw the Deadwood actors into it, in cheesy lifeless roles.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby GreatGoo » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:33 am

I have seen every eposide as well thanks to Tivo.

I can see why you guys are upset about this show. At some point they have to start explaining things. This last episode better explain a lot of shit. I need some resolve damn it. After Sopranos i got an itch!
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby swerb » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:19 pm

I will say, I do like Al Bundy's character. And Cass is hot.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:49 pm

Thank God, it's over. I'll never get those ten hours of my life back though.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:21 am

I will never again be able to complain about the conclusion of last year's season of "24" after that self indulgent mess last night.

And I don't really want to see Woo in a David Milch show unless he's giving Ian McShane an intense look while screaming "cocksucker!"

Rest assured that if HBO is stupid enough to give John another season, I won't be wasting my time with it.

Unread postby swerb » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:24 am

I thought that was Woo!

Swnegin! Cocksucka!

That was a disater last night ....

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm

"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe