Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

HBO Shows

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

HBO Shows

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:59 pm

I'm cutting this into a new thread so the 24 thread doesn't get too far OT.

lynch011 wrote:Haven't seen one episode of 24, but wanted to weigh in on the HBO talk. First off, Rome may well have been the best series on HBO ever!! What an epic series, can't wait for next year when Marc Antony takes over the empire.

Totally agree on Rome. A great show.....took a few weeks to get me into it, but I watched it religiously on Sunday nights from Day 1. I thought that Octavian takes over...or is that later? Some power struggle or something between he and Marc Antony.

Next. I would like to start a boycott of the new Sopranos. I mean when was the last year of the Sopranos?? I think it was the year after I graduated from high school, but I can't remember!!:) What a joke!!

The layoff has been unreal. I believe it has been two years since Season 5. Season 5 started around this time in 2004. The layoffs since season 3 have been ridiculous. Really killed a lot of the momentum after the first 2 seasons.

Didn't get into Deadwood, but I may try to catch up on it by watching it on DVD (I would think its on DVD.)

Do yourself a favor, and WATCH Deadwood. I had absolutely NO interest in the show when it first came out. Through a family member I was told it was great.....I have no love for Westerns.....so one day when going through my On Demand stuff I saw the first 6 episodes of Deadwood available....so I watched the first episode and loved it so much I watched the next 5 right in a row without stopping.

Al Swarengen is clearly one of the best TV villians/bad guys of all time. Guy is great. The writing is great. And, the production is great. Powers Boothe as CY Tolliver is another great baddie as well.....
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby lynch011 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:24 pm

Totally agree on Rome. A great show.....took a few weeks to get me into it, but I watched it religiously on Sunday nights from Day 1. I thought that Octavian takes over...or is that later? Some power struggle or something between he and Marc Antony.

Octavian becomes the first Emperor of Rome. I believe he and Marc Antony each rule parts of Rome, until Octavian becomes Emperor.

Do yourself a favor, and WATCH Deadwood. I had absolutely NO interest in the show when it first came out.

I will do just that. Do you know if it is out on DVD?? [/quote]
GO MICHIGAN!!!
lynch011
Buckeye Playa Hater

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:42 pm

Do you have cable or dish? If you have cable, and sub to HBO, you should be able to watch in On Demand for free. Most of the episodes should be there.

In any case, the first season is on DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006F ... ance&n=130
consigliere

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:45 pm

lynch011 wrote:Octavian becomes the first Emperor of Rome. I believe he and Marc Antony each rule parts of Rome, until Octavian becomes Emperor.

Sounds about right. I checked Wikipedia for some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Antony

Marcus Antonius (Latin: M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N¹) (ca. 83 BC – August 30 BC), known in English as Mark Antony, was a Roman politician and general. He was an important supporter of Julius Caesar as a military commander and administrator. After Caesar's assassination, Antony allied with Octavian and Marcus Aemilius Lepidus to form the second triumvirate. The triumvirate broke up in 33 BC and the disagreement turned to civil war in 31 BC, in which Antony was defeated by Octavian at the Battle of Actium and then at Alexandria. Antony committed suicide with Cleopatra in 30 BC.
consigliere

Love HBO's Shows

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:28 pm

Sopranos

Layoffs are brutal, and the last season was disappointing, but this is still a very good show. Forgot how good it was until I went back and watched the 1st three seasons. Epic moments were when Janice shot Richie Aprile, and when Tony whacked Ralphie in his kitchen after he found out he torched Pie O My. Love my boy Miami Steve Van Zandt (Springsteens gituarist) as Silvio. New season starts in March, 12 episodes. 8 more bonus episodes in Jan '07.

Rome

Very impressive first season that chronicled the rise and fall of Ceasar. Very interested to see how the following seasons play out with Anthony and Octavian rising to power, and Cleopatra taking a bigger role. Epic moments were Pullo's slaughterfest in the pit, and Ceasar getting stabbed on the Senate floor to end the 1st season. Also the beheading of Pompey. Loved Atylla as a sexy and evil villan. Pullo's character was great as well. Thought the guy that played Ceasar did well also. HBO shows all littered with great acting.

Deadwood

Like Consig I was leery, but fell in love. Swerangen = one of the best characters of all time. Cy Tolliver as well. Great villans, even likable villans. Doc Cochran was phenomenal as well, and the annoying EB Farnum was a great role also. Next season is coming up soon, need to rewatch seasons 1 & 2 to get caught back up. Highlights were the beef between Swearengen and Bullock, and the hard to watch scenes where Swearengen was near his death bed. A great show.

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Hands down the funniest half hour comedy on TV right now, and every bit the equal of Seinfeld. This show has me in tears almost every episode. Fat agent Jeffs wife is a classic. Larrys wife is hot. Larry himself is hysterical. Im also a big Richard Lewis guy. Read somewhere that none of this is written out, all ad libbed on the set, just basic outlines are prewritten.

Entourage

Another great show. Half hour comedy that follows the life of fictitious actor Vincent Chase and his entourage of brother and fringe actor Johnny (Kevin Dillon, easy role for him brother to Matt), manager and friend Eric, and tagalong pal Turtle. Agent Ari, played by Jeremy Piven is one of the greatest roles ever. Hysterical show executive produced by Mark Wahlberg and loosely based off his life. Funny, funny shit.

The Wire

Probably the least watched of all the shows, but incredible. Three seasons in the books, season 4 coming later this year. Follows a Baltimore special task force. Season 2 was one of the greatest seasons of any show ever in my mind, it focused on dock workers union headed by Frank Sobotka. Love the McNulty role, love Bunk as well. Edgy, edgy shit ... each season has had a different spin. Seasons 1 and 3 focused more on the Baltimore drug ring, and their attempt to topple it.

Six Feet Under

Done running after 5 seasons, maybe the best of all these shows. No bull shit. If you haven't seen it, and can go back and rent them or watch them On Demand from the beginning .... do so and thank me later. Follows the Fisher family and the funeral home they own, operate, and live out of in LA. An amazing show that it's hard to summarize in a couple paragrahs. Incredible acting, even better writing, and edge of your seat drama. Toys with your emotions, and a hard show to watch at times ... but done amazingly well.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:48 am

Other highlights:

Rome: Pullo's "brain" surgery and Atylla fucking the shit out of all the guys in Rome.

Deadwood: In Season 1, the beat down the two teen cons got from Tolliver and his crew. That chick got the hell beat out of her. Most pissed off moment: Wild Bill Hickock getting whacked in the 4th episode (man was I pissed! Thought Carradine was awesome in that role). Calamity Jane is great as well.....
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Unread postby Lebowski » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:19 pm

Re: Sopranos
- Layoffs do suck, but this show is still one the best ever. Great writing, great characters, great comedy, great mob violence. Very interested in how they wrap it all up.

Re: Curb
- Hilarious show, but I have to admit that this past season was a disappointment. They seemed to be trying too hard on the heels of an excellent Season 4 (i think it was 4?). I have also heard the ad-lib thing, wonder how true it is.

Re: Entourage
- Love it. Ari Gold is one of my favorite TV characters in a long time. Dude has me in tears. Hot chicks too.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby swerb » Sat May 27, 2006 8:56 am

http://www.hbo.com/deadwood/?ntrack_par ... ory0_show2

Link above is for the trailer for season three of Deadwood. Two weeks from tomorrow! I love it ... no lag between the end of The Sopranos and season three of Deadwood. The new adult sitcom that will air after Deadwood looks hysterical as well.

While Sunday nights are semi-depressing in that the work week starts back up in the morning, the Sunday night HBO shows make them much more bearable.

Sunday night ritual ... cook a nice dinner, 60 Minutes, kid to bed, crack open a nice bottle of vino, catch up line, and saddle up for two hours of great television from 9-11.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby consigliere » Wed May 31, 2006 6:02 pm

Wow, great news on Deadwood. I'm so behind in shows, that I am still only up to Ep 4 of the new Sopranos season.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:04 am

Consigliere wrote:Wow, great news on Deadwood. I'm so behind in shows, that I am still only up to Ep 4 of the new Sopranos season.

You haven't missed too much. Episodes 5-10 were pretty weak IMO. Episode 11 was very good though.

Looking forward to Sundays finale.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture