Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

ESPYs

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

ESPYs

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:25 am

Similar to a bad auto accident on the Shoreway, I tried not to watch, but it was just too, uh, well, devastatingly bad not to sneak a peak. I mainly wanted to see TGI (The Global Icon), and while I cringed several times, I think I can safley say the man has huge stones, and unlike ESPN, understands parody. The show was sooooo over the top ESPN it was difficult to watch, except for the two special awards which were very well produced and both moments were extremely moving. The NC State women's hoops coach 3 time cancer survivor and the N. Ireland peace through basketball spots were so good they made up for the rest of the show. Add in the fact that most of the ladies were smoking hot, and it turned out to be an OK waste of a couple of hours. (I feel dirty just writing that)
mattvan1

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:53 pm

I tuned in just in time to see the NC State coach get her award as well as the Northern Ireland spot so I guess I lucked out. Lebron's rap sketch was awkwardly humorous, and after I saw my Saints take home the moment of the year award I changed the channel.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby buddycowley » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:20 pm

1. I flipped in on about halfway through the story about the N. Ireland segment, and made sure to record the entire program at some point so I can see that one from beginning to end. Sounds like an amazing program (biased since I both teach and coach kids) and I'm interested to see the entire piece.

2. Missed the spot of the NC State coach, so I'll be sure to keep an eye out for that one.

3. Very happy that the Boise State trick play won for play of the year. That was pretty awesome.

4. Just watching the award for Best Moment was enough for me. The four spots on the two black coaches being in the Super Bowl, Derek Fisher, the SuperDome reopening, and Tiger's win after the passing of his father still make me emotional right now. Could have gone to any of those four.

Buddy
Can speak French...in Russian
buddycowley
'Crowley' For Short

Unread postby mswerb » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:01 pm

I thought this sucked as well. For all the hype they put into it, it was a let down for me. I do not go out of my way to make plans to watch any specific television event, but for some reason I did for this one. Man, what a mistake. I still don't understand why ESPN chose LeBron to co-host. The NC State women's coach and the Irish fellows WERE the only part worth watching. Also, knowing that this was taped previously put a damper on things. Overall, I was very disappointed. :scratch:
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Re: ESPYs

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:55 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Similar to a bad auto accident on the Shoreway, I tried not to watch, but it was just too, uh, well, devastatingly bad not to sneak a peak. I mainly wanted to see TGI (The Global Icon), and while I cringed several times, I think I can safley say the man has huge stones, and unlike ESPN, understands parody. The show was sooooo over the top ESPN it was difficult to watch, except for the two special awards which were very well produced and both moments were extremely moving. The NC State women's hoops coach 3 time cancer survivor and the N. Ireland peace through basketball spots were so good they made up for the rest of the show. Add in the fact that most of the ladies were smoking hot, and it turned out to be an OK waste of a couple of hours. (I feel dirty just writing that)

matt brings up something concerning ESPN. The two pieces he speaks of were excellent. ESPN is very good at these types of stories as well as off the wall documentaries. It USED to be such a good network when the rest of it followed suit. Now, you have to weed thru so much dog and pony show bullshit, it's tough to watch.

This goes for NFL pre-games as well. Instead of fake laughter and unwitty banter, how bout just telling me what's going on with the fuckin' game.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:57 am

Anyone see the skit Livingston went ape shit over on the front page of yesterday's PD sports page?

Something about LeBron dunking a baby?
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby mswerb » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:59 pm

Swerb wrote:Anyone see the skit Livingston went ape shit over on the front page of yesterday's PD sports page?

Something about LeBron dunking a baby?

I guess you missed it. Jimmy Kimmel was talking about all of the recent celebrity babies born and brought up Tiger Woods and others. Then they cut to LeBron backstage supposedly holding his son. Jimmy told LeBron to bring him out, LeBron takes stage, carrying baby, then dunks it. They showed the crowd reaction and most people looked stunned. I thought it was kinda cheesy myself.

Now LeBron is to host Saturday Night Live in September. It seems as if getting to the Finals has gotten to his head?
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:48 pm

I don't think getting to the Finals has anything to do with it and don't see any problem with what he's doing.
He wants to be everywhere like Peyton Manning is.

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture