Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Mitch's Top 100 list

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Mitch's Top 100 list

Unread postby yogi » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:13 pm

Wow, a lot to comment on here, but let me start with the Top 10.

Before I start though Mitch, what was your value system? Pure entertainment? Acting, Story? Directing, Technical accomplishments, Historical value?

I know when I looked at AFI's list it had many movies such as DW Griffiths "Birth of a Nation" on it because of its place in movie history. Many Chaplin movies, etc.

1.Schindler's List (1993) I undertand its high ranking, and its significance to History. But how does the enertainment value compare with the others listed?

2.The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (2003) This is my #1. Of course the running time would be near 10 hours!

3.Casablanca (1942) This would be my likely #2. I loved this movie.

4.The Godfather: Part 2 (1974) Worthy of a high rank, but the obvious question here is why ranked higher than the Original? Best sequel movie ever made though.

5.To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) I almost didn't make it through this movie, as the 1st 45 minutes or so was painfully slow in setting up. But the last half more than made up and I agree that its a top 50 movie, but this ranking is high. A must see for those (like Swerb) that refuse to see movies made before 1970!

6.The Godfather (1972) No quibble with this ranking. I concur.

7.Lawrence of Arabia (1962) I must admit. I just don't see why this movie is ranked as high as it is. I liked it but honestly, it would struggle to make my Top 100 list.

8.Citizen Kane (1941) Again, good movie. I see you at least didn't rank it as numero uno, and Orson Wells was terrific, but I still don't rank this high. Maybe Top 25.

9.American Beauty (1999) This must be the one that makes your list unique. Huh? I do not agree. Love Kevin Spacey though, but not this movie.

10.Star Wars (1977) Is this a ranking for all 6? I didn't see any other Star Wars listed. And we know that Star Wars 5 has to rank higher than Sideways!

A lot more comments to follow!

Great Stuff Mitch, though we should be in CBS parking lot before a Steeler Sunday debating the movie merits with some spirits in hand!
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Re: Mitch's Top 100 list

Unread postby intenso » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:48 pm

yogi wrote:
1.Schindler's List (1993) I undertand its high ranking, and its significance to History. But how does the enertainment value compare with the others listed?

I agree with this as the #1 movie. It's very entertaining. Great writing, great acting, amazing cinematography.
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:53 pm

My value system?

That would imply that I have a system. I really don't...it's a gut feel about each movie, looking at pretty much everything, and in the end, it's just my opinon. And like my golf game, it can be all over the place.

I told Swerb when I sent him my updated list that I really need to do what he did and add a line or two with each movie. I'll probably start working on that when I can, and have it all together in a few months when I revisit it again.

"Schindler's List" is probably the one that breaks away from the rest in regards to having very little "entertainment" value. But the story keeps you so enthralled that you don't even notice the time...so I guess in that regard I am "entertained" when I watch it.

Another gut feel thing on "Godfather: Part 2". I just liked the story better, bouncing back and forth between the past with Vito and the present with Michael.

"Mockingbird", to me, was always the epitome of how to adapt a great novel to the screen, and I didn't have a problem with the way the first 45 minutes developed. To me, Atticus Finch is one of the greatest literary characters of all time, and Gregory Peck's performance is one for the ages.

"Lawrence of Arabia". You probably aren't alone in your thoughts. It really is a "love it or hate it" epic. Probably no different than "Dr. Zhivago", which I personally found boring.

"American Beauty"...I watch that probably once a year, and never get tired of it; I consider it that great. Maybe because Lester Burnham and his life really reminds me of where I was about nine years ago. However, I just chose to get a new job that didn't require flipping burgers, leave the bitch, and didn't have sex with any sixteen year old virgins (however, there was that certain 26 year old who had been my kids' babysitter seven years earlier...but let's not go there).

"Star Wars"...at some point I'm going to catch all kinds of hell when I publically come out and say that I'm the one critic who didn't think "The Empire Strikes Back" was all that great. Sorry...that's just me. The original goes on because it was so...original. It can totally stand up as an entity to itself, and doesn't need to be included in all the rest. The "first" three episodes? Puh-leeze. Two name: Jar-Jar Binks and Hayden Christiansen. "Return of the Jedi"? Ewoks...'nuff said. "Empire" might rank in a top 150 if I ever expand it, but it's a movie that cannot stand up alone, despite it's many, many excellent points.

As far as the AFI Top 100 goes, I'm probably closer to Swerb than to you in regards to watching older movies. I try to catch up on some classics when I can, but right now I don't seem to have much time for anything other than the recent ones due to the columns. And I'm about 3 weeks away from having far less time available once Training Camp starts.

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture