Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Drennan Movie Blog

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Drennan Movie Blog

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:11 pm

Not sure how often he will update this....

Gives his thoughts on many things, such as going to jail....but I wanted to copy over this part where he talks about 2004, 2005 and 2006 Best Picture candidates:

http://www.sportstimeohio.com/talentPro ... l&blgId=12

Back to movies, and what I would like to do with today's first blog entry. Let me recap some basic historical data and opinions that will help you understand where I'm coming from with Academy Award considerations over the years. 1956, 1957, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1967 and 1998 are standout years because they featured a large quantity of quality movies that deserved Academy Award consideration. I believe that 2006 also should now be included in that category. 2006 featured numerous quality films deserving of Academy Award consideration. However, I'm not so sure that any one movie stood out to be categorized as one of the greatest movies of all time. For instance, in 1957, despite featuring many great entries, Bridge on the River Kwai, the eventual best picture winner, stood out as one of the greatest movies of all time. Likewise in 1961, the Broadway musical made into a motion picture, West Side Story, stood out and still withstands the test of time as one of the greatest films of all time. Again in 1962, Lawrence of Arabia featuring Peter O tool, who all these years later was nominated for best actor in 2006 for the comedy Venus, stands out as one of the greatest films of all time. In those years, those movies stood out to such a degree that they get consideration as some of the best pictures of all time, considering they came from years that featured a large quantity of other great movies.

Certainly, 2006 filled the obligation of featuring many great films, but in my opinion, not one film stood out as one for the greatest films of all time. In other words, I think you could have made a case for many of the movies nominated in 2006 to earn the best picture Oscar. You could have made a case for Babel instead of The Departed. Certainly you could have made a case for Letters From Iwo Jima instead of The Departed. You could have also made a case for the Queen over The Departed. And the movie that I feel could have been the best picture of the year didn't even get nominated for that category, which was Blood Diamond starring Leonardo Dicaprio. The one movie in 2006 that was a very entertaining little film but not necessarily worthy of a best picture nomination was Little Miss Sunshine. And don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with The Departed winning best picture; I'm just making a point that there was not one film that stood out above all the others in this enriched year's entries.

Let me take you back to 2004, a year that I was in limbo with, not knowing whether Ray or the Aviator would get the top consideration. But late in the year a movie emerged that not only captured my attention but the attention of every movie lover around the world, Clint Eastwood's Million Dollar Baby. I believe that movie stood out and earned a ranking of one of the top 25 movies ever made. What appears to be a boxing story turns out to be much, much more because of a dramatic twist on the storytelling of Maggie and her trainer and dear friend portrayed my Morgan Freeman. Once again, it was a year in which Eastwood deprived Martin Scorsese of the much-alluded Oscar that he eventually captured in 2006, ironically, over Eastwood for Letters From Iwo Jima.

The year 2005 did not feature a large quantity of quality films. I believe the best picture nominees for 2005 prove that statement. Good films? Yes. Great films? No. Brokeback Mountain, the controversial story of two gay westerners, or cowboys, if you will, was the frontrunner from the get-go, but was upset with a last month campaigning surge from Crash, the eventual winner. Very good films like Good Night and Good Luck, Munich and Capote were also nominated in 2005. However, the two films that I would have chosen as best picture nominees, and that I would have had a very tough decision choosing between were not even nominated for best picture of the year. Cinderella Man, starring Russell Crowe, Renee Zelwegger and Paul Giamati; and Steven Jackson's King Kong, which indeed may have been the best picture of 2005. However, because Jackson won everything in sight for the last entry of the Lord of the Rings saga two years earlier, I don't believe the Academy gave him much of a chance. Cinderella Man should have been nominated but perhaps because Million Dollar Baby was also a boxing film and won the year before, that worked against it. And I also believe the dislike of Crowe, as talented as he is, may have also worked against Cinderella Man.

Let me conclude by saying I've given you a tease of these three years of catching-up that we need to do as a result of being incommunicado with you on one of my great hobbies, movies. In our next blog entry, I will become much more specific in analyzing the 2004 year and the nominees for best picture, best actor, best actress, best supporting actor, best supporting actress, best director and all of the technical categories. We'll eventually address 2005 and then bring you up to speed on last year's best pictures and nominees. That will allow us to catch up to the present year and start considering the movies we are going out to watch this season. Forgive me because usually every year I make a point of seeing all of the movies that could be possibly considered for Academy recognition prior to the nominations. However, with the trouble I brought upon myself, I wasn't able to see these movies in advance. It wasn't until after the fact that I was able to get the DVDs of these movies and actually view them at home rather than seeing them in theaters as I've always done, and because of that tardiness, I'm just now getting caught up with all of these movies. Look forward to my next entry where I'll be addressing the 2004 year, and look forward to seeing your responses to this entry in our All Bets Are Off Blog. Your opinions and statements are welcome. We will log them, and I will try to address them in my next blog entry. See you next time. And lastly - and most importantly - I-I-I-I-I-I-I Love ya, Cleveland.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:20 am

I couldn't agree more. 2006 was an absolutely incredible year for movies. Haven't seen The Queen yet, but I have seen all the other Best Pic nominees ... and all of them were absolutely superb. Just got Blood Diamond in the mail from Netflix, looking very forward to seeing that one as well.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:03 pm

Swerb wrote:I couldn't agree more. 2006 was an absolutely incredible year for movies. Haven't seen The Queen yet, but I have seen all the other Best Pic nominees ... and all of them were absolutely superb. Just got Blood Diamond in the mail from Netflix, looking very forward to seeing that one as well.

The Queen is probably my favorite from last year. I'm a bit of an anglophile, so I'm biased, but I thought the movie was fascinating and funny. That was a tense week in the life of the Royal Family and seeing what was happening behind the scenes provides a lot of laughs while also making you feel sad for these people.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:08 pm

I-I-I-I-I-I-I Love ya, Cleveland.

http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby livinthesportslife » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:54 pm

Hm, I sense animosity.

Why doesn't Bruce update his blog more often? He only has two and it's been a long time since it was first advertised.
livinthesportslife

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture