Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

True Detective

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

True Detective

Unread postby justmebd » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:23 pm

Don't know who else might have watched this on Sunday, but it was excellent.

Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson were perfectly cast. The mystery is compelling, the setting is perfect for the story, and the old, bitter McConaughey is 10 kinds of awesome.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Re: True Detective

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:30 am

Looks pretty good so far. I thought Harrelson was excellent as well. Their dialogue in the car was great.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby justmebd » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:40 am

Line of the episode from old McConaughey

"It’s Thursday and it’s past noon. Thursday is one of my days off. On my days off I start drinking at noon. You don’t get to interrupt that.”

I'm going to start using this at work.
justmebd

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:59 am

Alcoholic redneck is the part McConaughey was born to play. Like Morgan Freeman playing Nelson Mandela
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:21 pm

Sitting in the DVR. Hoping to get to it soon, but I've been binge watching The League on Netflix.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:20 am

Haven't even finished the first episode yet, but all I need to know about if I'll like this yet were answered early:

"It's all one ghetto, man. Giant gutter in outer space."

"You're a Christian, yeah?"

"No."

"Well, what do you got the cross for in your apartment?"

"That's a form of meditation. I contemplate the moment in the garden, the idea of allowing your own crucifixion. I consider myself a realist, but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self aware. Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself. We are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self. A secretion of sensory experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody's nobody. I think the honorable thing for our species to do is to deny our programming, stop reproducing, and walk hand-in-hand into extinction. One last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal."

Liked that enough to stop the show and write it down. Will continue now.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:18 am

Yeah, fucking good. Wish they dropped that shit like Netflix does.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:02 am

Hikohadon wrote: That's a form of meditation. I contemplate the moment in the garden, the idea of allowing your own crucifixion. I consider myself a realist, but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self aware. Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself. We are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self. A secretion of sensory experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody's nobody. I think the honorable thing for our species to do is to deny our programming, stop reproducing, and walk hand-in-hand into extinction. One last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal.

I thought this thread was about a HBO show, and not the Browns...?
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:54 am

Hikohadon wrote:Haven't even finished the first episode yet, but all I need to know about if I'll like this yet were answered early:

"It's all one ghetto, man. Giant gutter in outer space."

"You're a Christian, yeah?"

"No."

"Well, what do you got the cross for in your apartment?"

"That's a form of meditation. I contemplate the moment in the garden, the idea of allowing your own crucifixion. I consider myself a realist, but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self aware. Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself. We are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self. A secretion of sensory experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody's nobody. I think the honorable thing for our species to do is to deny our programming, stop reproducing, and walk hand-in-hand into extinction. One last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal."

Liked that enough to stop the show and write it down. Will continue now.

Yeah, I wish that car ride had lasted 30 minutes. Very promising start. I thought the show looked fantastic and I wasn't disappointed.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby justmebd » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:15 pm

Just thought I'd refresh this and see who has kept up with the show.

It's brilliant and I'm addicted. Actually glad they're not trying to air an episode opposite the SB, meaning I won't have to wait until the middle of the week when my buddy who has HBO is home so I can come over and watch it.

The end of last week's episode made me crap my pants.

Just a well-written, acted, and directed.
justmebd

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:54 am

To this point, it seems the show is written by a cacophonous Atheist who feels that a nice murder mystery is the place to spew idealism.

"The ontological fallacy of expecting a light at the end of the tunnel, well, that’s what the preacher sells, same as a shrink. See, the preacher, he encourages your capacity for illusion. Then he tells you it’s a fucking virtue. Always a buck to be had doing that, and it’s such a desperate sense of entitlement, isn't it?"

As much as I might agree with his assertions, I despise religious holier-than-thou shit more than anything, so I hope that this series picks up steam and leaves the philosophical bullshit to Kant (or his minions).
Hikohadon

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:07 am

I believe that helps the viewer understand Rust. It's great watching the interactions between McConaughey and Harrelson when this topic comes up.

I also believe it sets the stage for the reason for the murder. Religion prays on rubes, and I think that will play a part in plot.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:18 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:I believe that helps the viewer understand Rust. It's great watching the interactions between McConaughey and Harrelson when this topic comes up.

I also believe it sets the stage for the reason for the murder. Religion prays on rubes, and I think that will play a part in plot.

Maybe, but the whole wacko religious killer thing has been done a time or two before.

It's still a good show, don't get me wrong. Just seems like it's heading in an ordinary direction.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:18 am

Is there a reason shows have to end in 8 episodes? They spend so much time developing characters and story line, just to rush to an ending in 57 minutes.

I think they could have done a better job with how Cohle and Marty found the spaghetti monster with green ears. That being said, I liked final capture scene. Spooky.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:15 am

Erie Warrior wrote:Is there a reason shows have to end in 8 episodes? They spend so much time developing characters and story line, just to rush to an ending in 57 minutes.

I think they could have done a better job with how Cohle and Marty found the spaghetti monster with green ears. That being said, I liked final capture scene. Spooky.

Agreed, my one complaint is that the "third act" was rushed.

They could have spent one episode just focusing on 2010 Rust and Sam Tuttle, and then another episode finding the Yellow King/Spaghetti Monster with Green Ears.

That would've made 10 episodes, which still is two episodes short of what I think a "Full" season of an HBO show should be, but it brings it in line with Game of Thrones.

Very happy with the ending, that being said. I made sure to check in with The Department of Expectation Management and get my paperwork filed in time. Anyone freaking out about the ending either A) wasn't paying attention, or B) Nothing was going to make them happy due to unrealistic expectations.
justmebd

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture