Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

STAR WARS

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

STAR WARS

Unread postby mswerb » Fri May 25, 2007 11:23 pm

Happy Birthday to Star Wars! My favorite movies of all time.

May the Force be with you.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby consigliere » Fri May 25, 2007 11:27 pm

Speaking of Star Wars.....whatever happened to the proposed live action TV show that would talk of the happening between Episode III and IV (the 16-18 years between look being born at the end of III and a young adult in IV?
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby swerb » Sat May 26, 2007 8:26 am

Im a Star Wars geek as well cuz.

Interested to see how some of the other geeks rank the six films. I go ...

Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars: A New Hope
Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Sat May 26, 2007 8:30 am

Empire Stikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
A New Hope
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace

Still can't believe how Lucas effed up I and II. He saved himself with III though. Ep.I was just God awful.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby mswerb » Sat May 26, 2007 10:32 am

Empire Strikes Back (I am your father)
Revenge of the Sith (Last hour is breathtaking)
Return of the Jedi (Speeder Bike scenes rule)
New Hope ( This one started it all)
Attack of the Clones (Young Boba Fett)
The Phantom Menace (No comment)
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Unread postby Naxos » Sun May 27, 2007 12:12 pm

Consigliere wrote:Speaking of Star Wars.....whatever happened to the proposed live action TV show that would talk of the happening between Episode III and IV (the 16-18 years between look being born at the end of III and a young adult in IV?

Still in the works from what I know. It is a huge Star Wars weekend. Just google up some stuff or visit:

http://www.starwars.com/

http://www.theforce.net/default.asp

The new cartoon set in the Clone Wars time frame is suppose to be out next year with the live action series the year after that.

I think they might be putting up some sort of sneak peak later today on starwars.com.
Naxos

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: DA

Unread postby StewieG » Sun May 27, 2007 12:23 pm

I've heard there's going to be the Clone Wars cartoon (I think CGI) next year.

There's also going to be 2 more movies, lasting 1 hour each, made for TV. Not sure of the time period or when they might come out though.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Naxos » Sun May 27, 2007 7:27 pm

StewieG wrote:I've heard there's going to be the Clone Wars cartoon (I think CGI) next year.

There's also going to be 2 more movies, lasting 1 hour each, made for TV. Not sure of the time period or when they might come out though.

I believe Lucas got misquoted. From what I have read it looks like two 1 hour Television shows plus the Clone Wars cartoon. Which they did post a trailer for today at:

http://www.starwars.com/video/view/000478.html

Looks incredible.
Naxos

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: DA

Unread postby mswerb » Sun May 27, 2007 10:05 pm

I would like to have George Lucas money. Anything purchased with the name"Star Wars" CHA-CHING!
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon May 28, 2007 2:42 am

Return of the Jedi
Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace
A New Hope

Is it strange that I actually enjoy a few of the Star Trek films more? I probably was more into Trek growing up, though my interest in it has waned greatly over the years. I still love Star Trek II an IV a lot and am probably more attached to those characters.

I do remember seeing Return of the Jedi as a kid and loved it - went to North Olmsted to see it because my dad is a techno-nut and there was a THX certified theater there. I believe we also went to see Empire in North Olmsted at a drive-in when I was two. I can barely recall seeing that film and Raiders of the Lost Ark at the drive-in theater. The images still stick in my mind.

BTW, current rumor has it that there's a second animated series on the way that continues beyond the original trilogy: Tales of the New Republic. Ain't It Cool News has a link to a supposed trailer, though it might be made by fans.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32804

If you've read Zahn's trilogy continuation then you'll recognize Admiral Thrawn. It'll be nice if Lucas & Co. do continue the stories of Han, Leia, Luke, Chewie, etc.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby mswerb » Mon May 28, 2007 2:11 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:Return of the Jedi
Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace
A New Hope

Is it strange that I actually enjoy a few of the Star Trek films more? I probably was more into Trek growing up, though my interest in it has waned greatly over the years. I still love Star Trek II an IV a lot and am probably more attached to those characters.

I do remember seeing Return of the Jedi as a kid and loved it - went to North Olmsted to see it because my dad is a techno-nut and there was a THX certified theater there. I believe we also went to see Empire in North Olmsted at a drive-in when I was two. I can barely recall seeing that film and Raiders of the Lost Ark at the drive-in theater. The images still stick in my mind.

BTW, current rumor has it that there's a second animated series on the way that continues beyond the original trilogy: Tales of the New Republic. Ain't It Cool News has a link to a supposed trailer, though it might be made by fans.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32804

If you've read Zahn's trilogy continuation then you'll recognize Admiral Thrawn. It'll be nice if Lucas & Co. do continue the stories of Han, Leia, Luke, Chewie, etc.

Phantom menace over A New Hope!?! Lay off the crack
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue May 29, 2007 7:56 am

mswerb wrote:Phantom menace over A New Hope!?! Lay off the crack

I actually enjoy Phantom Menace. A New Hope bores me to death with how long it takes to start up. I like all six of the films pretty well, but A New Hope is definitely the one I watch the least when I get in the mood.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby mswerb » Tue May 29, 2007 3:54 pm

Did you miss the parts with Jar-Jar in it? Or little Anakin saying "yippee". Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE Star Wars fan, but this is the worst of them all.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Unread postby jfiling » Tue May 29, 2007 5:20 pm

Speaking of "A New Hope", you may or may not know that it was heavily inspired by Akira Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress, which, while not one of Kurosawa's best, is a damn entertaining movie. Just not on par with The Seven Samurai.

Some interesting information here: http://www.spookybug.com/origins/kurosawa.html
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby StewieG » Wed May 30, 2007 1:45 am

http://www.starwars.com/video/view/000478.html

That's a preview of the Clone Wars cartoon.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu May 31, 2007 12:50 am

mswerb wrote:Did you miss the parts with Jar-Jar in it? Or little Anakin saying "yippee". Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE Star Wars fan, but this is the worst of them all.

Every single Star Wars movie has corny dialogue and characters in it. Granted, Jar-Jar was around too much, but I find Chewie only slightly less irritating. Good Lord, the Cantina scene is laughable with all the rubber masks.

Speaking of "A New Hope", you may or may not know that it was heavily inspired by Akira Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress, which, while not one of Kurosawa's best, is a damn entertaining movie. Just not on par with The Seven Samurai.

Lucas was heavily inspired by Kurosawa for the whole series. There's also some Flash Gordon mixed in there. Phantom Menace makes some of the strongest references to both.

The Seven Samurai is awesome, though I'd say Rashomon is probably my favorite Kurosawa film.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture