Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Best Live Band Show

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Best Live Band Show

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:46 am

I'll go first and go anti-hipster:

Tool, always and forever for me.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Best Live Band Show

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:03 am

^ seen them many, many times and each time is better than the last. Especially when Maynard is on his game and f-ing with people in the audience.

This is tough just based on the number of shows I've seen. I could go all 'phisto and say U2, Tymaster and say KISS (okay, maybe not)

I'm gonna stay away from the expected responses (Springsteen, etc)

Shows I went to w/o any expectations and was blown away once I left and made future shows a must see

Smashing Pumpkins pre '93
Afghan Whigs
The Jesus Lizard
Dream Theater
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:25 am

Dream Theater opening for Tool was pretty/really awesome...
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:07 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Dream Theater opening for Tool was pretty/really awesome...

<------- thinks head would happily explode after seeing that show
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:22 am

I've seen Pearl Jam, Incubus (3x), Shinedown, Tantric (2x), 3 Doors Down (Fremont St. downtown Vegas), Theory of a Deadman, AC/DC (2006), Metallica (2010?), 2001 Family Values Tour with Stone Temple Pilots, Linkin Park, Puddle of Mudd, Staind, and Static-X, and 2002 Ozzfest (after Ozzy's motorcycle accident, so System of a Down headlined) with POD, Flaw, Rob Zombie, Adema, and Black Label Society.

Country concerts...went to the Indians Music Festival with Brad Paisley and Blake Shelton, and various other acts on the plaza, and Tim McGraw/Kenny Chesney at Browns Stadium. Tagging along for Miranda Lambert and Dierks Bentley at Blossom next month.

The Pearl Jam show was awesome, but the best live band for me is without a doubt Incubus. They put on a great show. So much energy. No time wasted by getting up on a soap box and having a monologue. Such a good time and a great band.

I liked Staind when I saw them back in 2001 (15 at the time), but they really stole that show for me, even though I was a big Linkin Park fan. To this day, Hybrid Theory remains one of the best CDs from beginning to end that I've ever heard. I was a big System of a Down fan when I saw them at Ozzfest, but they were actually pretty disappointing. Flaw stole that show for me and they only had a 20-25 minute set.

Theory of a Deadman was entertaining. It was the night that the remnants of Hurricane Sandy hit downtown. Surreal experience driving through a vacant downtown after the show. Went down to Edgewater and got the car washed by disgusting lake water when I parked by the water. The House of Blues just sucks as a concert venue. I'd like to see them again, but somewhere else.

The two Tantric shows were great. If waborat comes around, he can attest to how cool the show at The Cove in Geneva-on-the-Lake was. The other one was in the Cambridge Room at the House of Blues. The band came out and signed autographs after.

Wish I had a longer concert list.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:28 am

I'd trade you if you saw Peach open for Tool in the early 90s. One band I'll never see I always wanted to see.

Also, I did once get drug to an Incubus show, as tripods says, they do a good job.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:00 am

Somehow searching for video of that Dream Theater/Tool show ended with me watching Meytal Cohen drum cover a bunch of stuff. Great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7IvZyRl4Tg
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:07 am

Almost anything (well, NOT Michael Stanley) at the Agora Theater on East 24th (before it burned) in the late 70's and early 80's.

A Lou Reed coffee break concert comes to mind, as does a very young U2 and the James Gang.

Yes, I am old, but still a hippy (NOT hipster) at heart.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:15 am

mattvan1 wrote:Lou Reed coffee break concert comes to mind

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iZapsXJbw4
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:38 am

A Lou Reed show would be sweet.

My best show would be the '99 Coachella, which had a number of bands that I enjoy to an extent (Amon Tobin, Cibo Matto, Beck, Jurassic 5, Spearhead, Chemical Bros, Moby) but ended with Rage and Tool back to back. And ending with Tool and the show they put on (including naked acrobats hanging upside down above stage and contorting) is a helluva way to go.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:42 am

Hikohadon wrote:A Lou Reed show would be sweet.

My best show would be the '99 Coachella, which had a number of bands that I enjoy to an extent (Amon Tobin, Cibo Matto, Beck, Jurassic 5, Spearhead, Chemical Bros, Moby) but ended with Rage and Tool back to back. And ending with Tool and the show they put on (including naked acrobats hanging upside down above stage and contorting) is a helluva way to go.

My pops didn't let me go to that festival, I actually had tickets. Jealous.

That was the last time Jurassic 5 and Moby didn't suck.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:00 am

Yeah, Moby went straight to hell after that. He was already not as good in '99 as he was at the '95 Lollapalooza. Rage broke up shortly after that, and I never heard of Cibo Matto again either.

Amon Tobin's best stuff, however, was yet to come (this is my ringtone for people from work).

Hikohadon

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:02 pm

Man, I must be old.

Some of the best shows I've seen, kind of in order -
Lynyrd Skynyrd (pre-crash)
Clapton
Acoustic show Todd Rundgren (Saw a lot of his shows)
Meatloaf
The Byrds
Chicago
Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass
Neil Young
The Who
Moody Blues (drummer reciting poetry = classic. goosebumps even now)
Pat Daily, Put in Bay (that's right)
Bette Midler (good comedy added to the show)

I know, threadkilla
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:36 pm

Il just go with shit I have seen in the last two year or three years , and not state the obvious (I.e. Springsteen or PJ)
3) Black Keys at the Shot, not nearly as good as when I used to see them at the Agora, but they still rocked
2) Preservation Hall Jazz Band this year at Bonnaroo and last year at the Bowery
1) Paul McCartney Bonnaroo 13 ( I have seen him twice before to include last year at Wrigley Field and the shows where good, but this years Roo set was epic.

I also saw Lumineers and Pashion Pit at both Roo and the LC this year , and I came away really impressed.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:57 pm

Tool and Clutch.

I saw Tool with Messugah like 4 days after 9/11. Tool played for what seemed like 2 hours. Messugah, who are from Sweden, had the line of the night "Ve vare Messugah, and ve vant to thank the Tools for letting up play vith them."

Clutch is just the kings of the live rock show. It's always smaller venues, air choked with pot smoke and the floor wet with spilled beer. I hate moshing and everyone who moshes, but they have one of the most hardcore pits I've seen. Straight rock, no lasers or gimmicks.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Hikohadon wrote:A Lou Reed show would be sweet.

To be honest, from what I remember (which is not much) the excitement of that show was more "OMFG it's Lou Reed" than the fact that he really rocked it out. I think he had kicked smack by then and was a lot less unpredictable than in his VU days
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby justmebd » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:12 pm

Saw Guns N' Rose/Metallica at 3 Rivers in 1992. I was 17. I spent most of the show trying to get the number of a smoking hot blonde in a bikini top/Daisy Dukes. (I failed)

I had floor seats. Metallica kicked our ass for three hours. Then GnR actually showed up on time and kicked our ass for another three hours. I don't think I'll ever top that.

Faith No More opened. They sucked -- check that -- they FUCKING SUCKED DONKEY BALLS!! We were booing them off the stage until they played "Epic." Then we told them to get off the stage again.

I saw Metallica a few more times after that, but they were never better than that tour. All diminishing returns after that.

We all know GnR fell apart after that tour.

I'm still pissed I missed Rage Against the Machine in the mid-late 90s.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Missing GnR/Metallica might be my biggest regret. Those were probably my two favorite active bands at the time (late 80's, very early 90's), and not to catch that show is criminal. I never saw GnR, which sucks. I saw Metallica once, but it was late 90's and well into their decline, so only half the music I wanted to hear.

I can only imagine Clutch would be great live.

PS - Speak no evil of Faith No More. I saw them in a club in Philly and they were great. Epic is one of my least favorite songs of theirs.

Man, I must be old.

Clapton
Meatloaf
The Byrds
Chicago
Neil Young
The Who

I know, threadkilla

You gotta be kidding, I'd love to have seen a ton of those (maybe not Chicago). They just weren't available when I was of the age that I went to a lot of concerts.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:37 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Clutch is just the kings of the live rock show. It's always smaller venues, air choked with pot smoke and the floor wet with spilled beer. I hate moshing and everyone who moshes, but they have one of the most hardcore pits I've seen. Straight rock, no lasers or gimmicks.

Actually, in this type of setting I've seen Sevendust three times. They do it really well.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:39 pm

Also, how old was Neal googs? If you saw him before he lost his shit I'm infinitely jealous.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:50 pm

Also, so this band is a thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyp1KvQ6Tyg
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby justmebd » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:13 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Missing GnR/Metallica might be my biggest regret. Those were probably my two favorite active bands at the time (late 80's, very early 90's), and not to catch that show is criminal. I never saw GnR, which sucks. I saw Metallica once, but it was late 90's and well into their decline, so only half the music I wanted to hear.

I can only imagine Clutch would be great live.

PS - Speak no evil of Faith No More. I saw them in a club in Philly and they were great. Epic is one of my least favorite songs of theirs.

Man, I must be old.

Clapton
Meatloaf
The Byrds
Chicago
Neil Young
The Who

I know, threadkilla

You gotta be kidding, I'd love to have seen a ton of those (maybe not Chicago). They just weren't available when I was of the age that I went to a lot of concerts.

I'm wondering, based on what you said, if the enormity of the crowd intimidated FNM because they just weren't very good that afternoon. The lead singer kept trying to crack jokes in between songs and it was just lame.

I saw Chicago in 1989, well past their prime (And minus the two best guys). My father saw them in 1970 and he says that was one of the best shows he ever saw.
justmebd

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:50 pm

justmebd wrote:I'm wondering, based on what you said, if the enormity of the crowd intimidated FNM because they just weren't very good that afternoon. The lead singer kept trying to crack jokes in between songs and it was just lame.

I saw Chicago in 1989, well past their prime (And minus the two best guys). My father saw them in 1970 and he says that was one of the best shows he ever saw.

I've heard that FNM is a club band, that they don't translate well to bigger venues (although I have no idea why that would be). They kicked ass when I saw them. I only have 2 of their albums, but both stand the test of time easily.

And in fairness to Chicago, I only really know their late stuff, so my knowledge of their repertoire is flawed.
Hikohadon

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:45 pm

I didn't see many concerts until later in life. And I know it's boring, but Pj is the best. They just put so much effort in every time I've seen them.

A smattering of other good shows I've seen:

radiohead (last year. Wish I'd seen them 10 years ago)
Foo fighters - nothing to complain about
Neil Young
Allman Bros
DMB - laugh if you want but with my ole lady it was always a good time
David gray - even with my ole lady...shoot me in the face
Roger Waters - twice, what an awesome spectacle
Kiss - 4th row, lol
Jimmy Buffet - 1994 at the Jake
Metallica - fuck them. Played half the show with the speakers on my side of the Gund out

Two shows I'd never miss coming through:
Widespread Panic
Galactic

Oddities:
Buddy guy - at the Newport. Asshole played for 45 minutes. We convinced my friend on the way there the he was white.
Dick dale - again at the Newport. It was awesome

The one that got away:
Had tickets (around '99/'00) for Beastie Boys/Rage. Tour got cancelled when Mike D broke his arm on a bike or something.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:11 pm

My wife makes fun of me when I tell her I have seen a particular band in concert. I don't think I went to shows excessively but a couple per year with 2 or 3 bands when you are 45 years old adds up to a lot. Throw in 5 years of Rock on the Range with 40 bands per weekend and I have a nice list of shows. In the past few years some of my favorites would include Godsmack, Korn, Disturbed, Danko Jones (really kick ass and have been described as the AC/DC of Europe). 3 days grace is always good, I saw U2 3 times and always thought it was funny that the crowd went from 2,000 at state theatre, 20,000 at the coliseum then 70,000 at Cleveland stadium
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:20 am

Avett Brothers. They got kinda big fast, but originally they played several small venues here and in NC and are a really good show.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:07 am

Erie Warrior wrote:Avett Brothers. They got kinda big fast, but originally they played several small venues here and in NC and are a really good show.

+1 on this. Love this band, and they never disappoint live , can't wait to see them again in October at the Jacobs Pavillion w/ Trumbone Shorty
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:07 am

motherscratcher wrote:I didn't see many concerts until later in life. And I know it's boring, but Pj is the best. They just put so much effort in every time I've seen them.

A smattering of other good shows I've seen:

radiohead (last year. Wish I'd seen them 10 years ago)
Foo fighters - nothing to complain about
Neil Young
Allman Bros
DMB - laugh if you want but with my ole lady it was always a good time
David gray - even with my ole lady...shoot me in the face
Roger Waters - twice, what an awesome spectacle
Kiss - 4th row, lol
Jimmy Buffet - 1994 at the Jake
Metallica - fuck them. Played half the show with the speakers on my side of the Gund out

Two shows I'd never miss coming through:
Widespread Panic
Galactic

Oddities:
Buddy guy - at the Newport. Asshole played for 45 minutes. We convinced my friend on the way there the he was white.
Dick dale - again at the Newport. It was awesome

The one that got away:
Had tickets (around '99/'00) for Beastie Boys/Rage. Tour got cancelled when Mike D broke his arm on a bike or something.

Pearl Jam is one of the best live acts around. Still hoping some extra money comes in before the Pittsburgh show.

I saw Foo Fighters in Cleveland in 2003 and that show kicked a ton of ass. It was a lot of fun.

DMB: Me and my best friend go every year. Never seen a bad show and the women are always ridiculously hot (and friendly).

Saw Staind/Godsmack in 2001 in Cleveland and I thought Staind wiped Godsmack off the floor. Too bad both bands quickly became boring after that.

A friend and I actually decided to go see Creed very early in their run. Yep, that was a HUGE mistake. Sevendust opened, though, and that was worth the price of admission.

I saw/drank with Seether in Struthers right after they got huge. They honored all their small club dates even though they were busting up the charts at the time. Great bunch of guys.

Coinmonster: If you didn't get to see this regional band in the 90s, you missed one of the best heavy metal bands EVER. They turned down TWO record contracts because the studio wanted to change everything. They walked the walk, but quit performing regularly about 10 years ago. They're out of New Castle and they come out and do a show about once every 12-18 months. There's video from a 2010 show on YouTube.
justmebd

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:12 am

Hikohadon wrote:
justmebd wrote:I'm wondering, based on what you said, if the enormity of the crowd intimidated FNM because they just weren't very good that afternoon. The lead singer kept trying to crack jokes in between songs and it was just lame.

I've heard that FNM is a club band, that they don't translate well to bigger venues (although I have no idea why that would be). They kicked ass when I saw them. I only have 2 of their albums, but both stand the test of time easily.

And in fairness to Chicago, I only really know their late stuff, so my knowledge of their repertoire is flawed.

Chicago truly was a band that got overlooked when the late 60's/early 70's rock bands get talked about. They were my father's favorite band, and I know all their stuff as a result.

Their best stuff is the early albums through 1976. Lead singer/guitar player Terry Kath accidentally shot himself in the head in 1977, and the band was never the same after that. Jimi Hendrix thought Kath was a better guitar player.

Here's a 1970 concert if you ever feel like listening to it in the background.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWKtVzzWo4U

If you don't want the full concert experience, here's a one-shot from 1968
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVLUFl6WO6E
justmebd

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:38 am

Govbarney wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:Avett Brothers. They got kinda big fast, but originally they played several small venues here and in NC and are a really good show.

+1 on this. Love this band, and they never disappoint live , can't wait to see them again in October at the Jacobs Pavillion w/ Trumbone Shorty

Excellent, I'm back in the out-of-touch lead since I've never heard of these guys.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:21 pm

justmebd wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Chicago truly was a band that got overlooked when the late 60's/early 70's rock bands get talked about. They were my father's favorite band, and I know all their stuff as a result.

Their best stuff is the early albums through 1976. Lead singer/guitar player Terry Kath accidentally shot himself in the head in 1977, and the band was never the same after that. Jimi Hendrix thought Kath was a better guitar player.

Here's a 1970 concert if you ever feel like listening to it in the background.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWKtVzzWo4U

If you don't want the full concert experience, here's a one-shot from 1968
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVLUFl6WO6E

Uh, yeah, that was light years better than the Chicaco I was familiar with and ambivalent about.

No encore though. Tsk.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:07 pm

Sha-Na-Na with my grandmother, circa 1980 at the Front Row.

Bowser and Dirty Dan crushed it.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:38 pm

peeker643 wrote:Sha-Na-Na with my grandmother, circa 1980 at the Front Row.

I was at that show.

I'm crappin' you negative, I was at that show.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:19 pm

motherscratcher wrote:

I was at that show.

Tremendous. Actually thought the Front Row was a pretty cool little venue with the rotating stage, etc. My class actually graduated from there. Now it's a fucking Panera.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:34 pm

motherscratcher wrote:

I was at that show.

My parents took me to a Sha-Na-Na concert in Toronto in 1980. Must've been their world tour.
Hikohadon

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:37 pm

It's funny to me that in 1980, my father was only 30, yet Chicago was the only band he listened to besides Billy Joel that was still touring. (Even then, Billy Joel tickets were pricey.)

I never went to concerts until I was a late teen because my father had no interest in going to pretty much ANY concert.

I had free lawn tickets to the Doobie Brothers last year and he turned them down. I would've gone but I won them a week before the concert and I already had plans.

I would've LOVED to have seen the Doobie Brothers back in the day (Among several other bands).
justmebd

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:20 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
Excellent, I'm back in the out-of-touch lead since I've never heard of these guys.

Do yourself a favor and check them out.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:45 pm

Pantera has not disappointed the 3 times I've seen them, missed out on Herbie Hancock who is supposedly great live.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:01 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Also, how old was Neal googs? If you saw him before he lost his shit I'm infinitely jealous.

This was early '80s so you'd probably consider that 'after', but on that day, he played two sets. Before intermission was exactly what I wanted. Solo acoustic and solo piano stuff- classic Neil stuff, with the crowd hushed. After the intermission, he came out in Don Johnson glasses and suit jacket and did a bunch of electric/electronic stuff. Not what anyone came for, but he'd made the crowd happy earlier.

Funny story I heard about him, I suppose it is true: He was playing in England, and only doing new stuff. The crowd turned on him. It got so bad that he started talking to them. He said, "Here is something you'll all be familiar with." They cheered- until they realized it was an exact repeat of the song they'd just heard. HAA

In considering 'Best Live Band Show': the more I think of it, it is largely a function of how good my seats were. I used to brag about having seen Pink Floyd and the Police, but our seats sucked. They >>>> Kenny Loggins and Jimmy Buffett, but in my 20s, I figured out how to sneak dates down to the front for the venue that had those shows. The energy was through the roof.

Any more, I likely won't attend a concert unless I get good seats.

I am supposed to be going to Ian Anderson's Thick as a Brick show on Saturday. I would love to go see Phish...
googleeph2

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:20 am

Iron Maiden puts on a helluva show, seen them twice.

I don't know what they were like before they sucked, but now Metallica sucks live. Seen them twice and both shows sucked. (Granted I passed out at one and don't recall much of it.)

I had a lot of fun at a CCR show.

Disturbed felt very scripted and manufactured.

DMB: Not such a fan of his music, but the show I went to had a festival vibe and was pretty awesome.

Blue Oyster Cult - saw them in a private 25 person venue, so its hard to screw that up.

I was at a Roger Waters show in MSG that you practically couldn't see 5 feet in front of you on account of the cloud of smoke.

I know I'm missing some, but Iron Maiden gets my vote from those I remember.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:39 am

70s concerts at the Coliseum: lights on; dozens of frisbees flying all over the place. Lights down; an act comes on stage. Bowls passed all the way down the rows (including by my parents, who took a friend and me a couple times when I was younger). Act over; lights back on. CLoud of cigarette and pot smoke so thick you could only barely see the seats on the other side. Frisbees back out. Cloud would dissipate while lights stayed on. Repeat for however many acts there were.
googleeph2

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:56 am

googleeph2 wrote:70s concerts at the Coliseum: lights on; dozens of frisbees flying all over the place. Lights down; an act comes on stage. Bowls passed all the way down the rows (including by my parents, who took a friend and me a couple times when I was younger). Act over; lights back on. CLoud of cigarette and pot smoke so thick you could only barely see the seats on the other side. Frisbees back out. Cloud would dissipate while lights stayed on. Repeat for however many acts there were.

Not to mention all the smoke, cig and pot, out in the parking lot prior to shows. The smoke ring out there made the ole building look like Skull Island
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:05 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:
googleeph2 wrote:70s concerts at the Coliseum: lights on; dozens of frisbees flying all over the place. Lights down; an act comes on stage. Bowls passed all the way down the rows (including by my parents, who took a friend and me a couple times when I was younger). Act over; lights back on. CLoud of cigarette and pot smoke so thick you could only barely see the seats on the other side. Frisbees back out. Cloud would dissipate while lights stayed on. Repeat for however many acts there were.

Not to mention all the smoke, cig and pot, out in the parking lot prior to shows. The smoke ring out there made the ole building look like Skull Island

That's what happens when you build a stadium on the ocean...

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby comish » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:55 pm

CLUB MTV #1

Tone Loc came from under the stage in a freaking bottle.....good stuff

:salute:
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:08 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:Blue Oyster Cult - saw them in a private 25 person venue, so its hard to screw that up.

Saw them at the Akron Agora in the mid 90's. That was a solid show.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:20 pm

I 'saw' Dylan, Petty and The Dead at the Rubber Bowl in 1985. I remember not a thing except they hosed people off who were on the field because it was about 15* hotter than it is today and that it's inadviseable to eat those candy dots stuck to paper strips at any Dead show.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:53 pm

peeker643 wrote:I 'saw' Dylan, Petty and The Dead at the Rubber Bowl in 1985. I remember not a thing except they hosed people off who were on the field because it was about 15* hotter than it is today and that it's inadviseable to eat those candy dots stuck to paper strips at any Dead show.

I remember when that concert happened.

You 'saw' a much better show than one I 'saw': Rundgren, Cheap Trick and The Cars in their heyday.

The Pack up the Plantation tour of Petty in the mid-80s was really good.
On this one, they transition from Just him, to the entire band. 4:25 leads up to the quintessential Petty sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpG09Pen ... 5F5ED68BB6
googleeph2

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:55 pm

Anyone see Them Crooked Vultures?
googleeph2

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:16 pm

Saw the Dead many, many times....always an event.

Stadium concerts in the 70's were amazing...and planned badly. Most people I ever saw there ...and they never allowed this many people in there again...was the 1974 show...maybe the greatest ever concert for me...in order...Jesse Colin Young, Santana, The Band, and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. The entire field area was packed...and down front (stage was set up behind centerfield fence, essentially in the bleachers) where we were, it was packed elbow to elbow. Then the 75,000 or so seats were also probably 90% full, so I've always estimated there were at least 125,000 people there.

My then-girlfriend-now wife left early in the afternoon to go find a ladies room, and got back about three and a half hours later. Most people on the field just pissed where they were. Nice. If I recall, I took some hallucinogen I bought there.

Best shows outside of that for me...Jefferson Airplane, Allman Bros (twice), Stones (Rubber Bowl '72 w/Stevie Wonder opening) The Who, Eagles (at least three times), Byrds, Neil Young (at least 3-4 times), Dead (double digit times),

Best live act/stage show...for energy and fun...no contest...The J.Geils Band
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:28 pm

Genesis
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Next

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture