Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Mitch - The Illusionist

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Mitch - The Illusionist

Unread postby StewieG » Fri May 18, 2007 8:38 pm

Mitch - Did you ever write a review for The Illusionist? I tried to find it, but couldn't, although it's certainly more than possible that I just missed it. In any case, I love your columns, and respect your opinion on movies (even when I don't agree with it, which doesn't happen often). I loved this movie, and was looking for your take on it.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Guest » Sat May 19, 2007 10:32 am

Nope...didn't review that while it was at the theaters, but when I did get a chance to see it on DVD, I thought it was one of the best movies of the year.

I did talk about it a few times in these boards...mostly to rave about it in comparison to the movie I hated like no other last year (other than "Lady in the Water"), "The Prestige". The writing, directing, and especially the acting in The Illusionist was so much better than The Prestige that it wasn't even close.

Edward Norton could read a phone book and I'd probably be entertained, but he was even better than usual in this one. Paul Giamatti is another actor who is always great, and even the normally monotone Jessica Biel was more than just window dressing.

What I liked most is how the movie set you up to where you COULD have bought the ending had it been tricks that Eisenheim was using, or it was the supernatural...the possibility of either could have been plausible. As opposed to The Prestige, where the one good twist (how Bale did "the Teleported Man" trick) was totally ruined by the stupid, last second introduction of weird science fiction into the movie.

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat May 19, 2007 10:49 am

Mitch wrote:
What I liked most is how the movie set you up to where you COULD have bought the ending had it been tricks that Eisenheim was using, or it was the supernatural...the possibility of either could have been plausible. As opposed to The Prestige, where the one good twist (how Bale did "the Teleported Man" trick) was totally ruined by the stupid, last second introduction of weird science fiction into the movie.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I loved both films but found The Prestige to be superior to The Illusionist because of the involvement of Tesla. However, I can see people not liking that ending if they are unfamilar with the legends surrounding exactly what Nikola Tesla was able to do with technology he created. The man understood the idea of transmitting power through the ground or in the air via microwaves - tech that we're only catching up on today.

That's what was most fascinating to me, the idea of Tesla creating a teleporter that didn't work quite right.

Of course, The Prestige has so much more going on in it. The rivalry between the two men and the lengths they'd go to to do each other in. Look at the price both mean paid for their revenge - high prices. The Prestige was far deeper than The Illusionist, though both were very good films.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby StewieG » Mon May 21, 2007 10:17 pm

I enjoyed both movies, but I did think the Illusionist was better. It's all a matter of personal opinion though, obviously.

But thanks for your thoughts, Mitch! I can't disagree with anything you said.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture