Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Crash review

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Crash review

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:12 pm

Damn, that's hilarious.

Wish DJ could have had as much fun watching it as I had reading about it.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby Guest » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:42 pm

DJK will probably agree to disagree on that one.

I'll come out in the next week or so in my Oscar's preview piece and state that I think Crash should win Best Picture...just slightly ahead of Munich.

But that's just a matter of personal taste most of the time.

Which is why Swerb needs to go ahead and post our Top 100 film choices, as you can ascertain a lot about a critic by looking at the types of movies that he ranks highest.

Unread postby swerb » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:39 pm

Which is why Swerb needs to go ahead and post our Top 100 film choices, as you can ascertain a lot about a critic by looking at the types of movies that he ranks highest.

Thanks for the reminder Mitch, I will do that very soon. And also link them as well as your bios on the movies page. If I don't get to it by the weekend, remind me via email.

On to Crash ... for maybe the 1st time in my life, I am in 100% agreement with DJK on this flick. While I plan on seeing them all, it's the only one of the Best Pic nominees I've seen, as I saw it one of the first days it was available on PPV.

Had I written a review, it would be so similar it would be scary. The review was phenomenal IMO, and I think all the reviews Mitch and DJK have done have been very good.

However, I would have recommended it. Barely. At least to me, this is one of those movies I would likely talk about a little more glowingly had it not been nominated. Being up for Pic of the Year made me more disappointed in it in hindsight.

Don't get me wrong, the movie is entertaining. I would still recommend it, even with the flaws in character development and plot forcing, and a poor collection of actors, many of whom seemed poorly casted for their roles.

Great job though DJK.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby HoodooMan » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:38 am

Now that was hilarious.

Almost as funny as the interpretive dance numbers.
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Jumbo » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:00 am

At least to me, this is one of those movies I would likely talk about a little more glowingly had it not been nominated.

I enjoyed Crash quite a bit more than the review, although that could be because I saw it without reading any reviews (positive or negative). In any case, I agree with swerb: I liked Crash, and thought it was a good movie, but was surprised when I found out that it was getting Oscar talk. Was this a down year in movies?

I did see Brokeback Mountain and Walk the Line this weekend, and I preferred Walk the Line. Brokeback suffered from the same problem - I did think it was a good movie, but normally not Best Picture worthy. The thing about Brokeback was that I found the most interesting parts to be the shepherds' relationships with their own families, rather than their relationship with each other. But that might be because I like quality films that deal with family strife. (In the Bedroom, The Good Girl, Junebug).

I half-watched the show last night, but the most amusing thing was Jake Gyllenhall's impassioned plea to watch movies in the theaters rather than on DVD. That's funny, considering that none of the movies nominated really needed a big screen (unless you're a fan of faux-Wyoming scenery)...if Hollywood wants us to pay $10 for a ticket, make some movies worth paying that much for.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby yogi » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:57 pm

"Crash" coming in the mail today, "Walk the Line" tomorrow.
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby yogi » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:37 am

DJK's review is dead on except that I think the film is worth renting or seeing on HBO.

I can't believe the Academy gave it this year's Best Picture Award.

Maybe I'm not missing much only going to kid's movies in the theatre the past few years.
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:41 pm

Annie Proulx on 'Scar night & "Trash"

http://books.guardian.co.uk/comment/sto ... 09,00.html
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Guest » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:48 am

Yeah, I read that one...as did my wife, who was so pissed that she vowed not to watch anything else adapted from her books.

I guess when you're 70 like Annie, you can be a sour graping bitterbitch.

What pisses me off most is the idiots crying that if you didn't want BBM to win, you must hate gays. Givemeafuckingbreak.

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture